PDA

View Full Version : Packers, Wells, LIKELY to PART WAYS

Bretsky
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-wells-likely-will-part-eyes-jq48tpp-139774733.html

a few notes

In so many words, Wells is being told by the Green Bay Packers that he has overvalued himself as an undersized, 31-year-old center no matter how well he has played for them.

Wells basically is telling the team, "Watch what happens."

\
Wells hasn't forgotten that the Packers cut him at the end of his first training camp.

More critically, he hasn't forgotten how Mike McCarthy and Thompson cast him aside after three years as their starting center and replaced him with Jason Spitz in 2009.

Sources also said the Packers at the time were looking to trade Wells, an immensely proud player they knew to be furious about his demotion.

Baas presently ranks fifth among centers with an average annual salary of $5.5 million. The top four are Carolina's Ryan Kalil ($8.2M), the Jets' Nick Mangold ($7.7M), St. Louis' Jason Brown ($7.5M) and Tampa Bay's Jeff Faine ($6.3M).
When their blockbuster deals were signed, Brown was 25, Kalil and Mangold were 26 and Faine was 27.

Nine teams besides the Packers have their starting center headed for free agency. It figures to be a game of musical chairs with 13 unrestricted centers jousting for jobs.

Joemailman
02-20-2012, 10:38 PM
If it happens, I could see the Packers moving Lang to C and moving either Newhouse, Bulaga or Sherrod to LG.

Kiwon
02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
The truth is, as far as a business decision, and especially after coming off his first Pro Bowl, Wells should go elsewhere and get as much guaranteed money as possible. The Packers know what they have in him and if they value him much less than what he thinks the market will bear then he should leave. No hometown discount, even for a 15-2 team.

Wells has been an overacheiever, beat the odds and earned what he's got. If I were him, at 31, I'd put a priority on financial security in what most likely is the biggest contract he'll sign.

Patler
02-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Sampson Genus - the next Scott Wells.

pittstang5
02-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Was afraid of this after I read his comments at the pro-bowl. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but it seemed like he knew he'd be headed to free agency.

Wells has done a remarkable job at center, IMO. And potentially losing Clifton to either retirement or just being cut, could leaves two holes on the oline. I don't like Newhouse and Sherrod is an unknown for the LT postion. Deithrich-smith is a back-up, not a starter. I don't like replacing two guys on the o-line.

pbmax
02-21-2012, 07:22 AM

This. Also,

SAVE TJ LANG!

(from being shuffled around so much)

ThunderDan
02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
This. Also,

SAVE TJ LANG!

(from being shuffled around so much)

Peter Konz!!!

ND72
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
1. TJ Lang needs to stay in one spot. He seemed to be a good fit at LG.
2. I like Peter Konz, but do you really want to just plug in a rookie center, with the potential that we'll have a 2nd year, 1st year starter at LT as well in Sherrod? Plus we have far greater needs than a Center in the draft, especially round 1.
3. Wells has over achieved, and he is 31 now...but come on...you're coming off of a 15-2 season and you're going to part ways with the leader of your OL? I just don't see the sense in that.

Scott Campbell
02-21-2012, 08:39 AM
He's been a very good Packer, and I appreciate how he's handled his business throughout the disappointment. If he needs to go elsewhere, good luck to him.

sheepshead
02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Make hay when the suns shinning. Who among us wouldn't do the same?

ThunderDan
02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
1. TJ Lang needs to stay in one spot. He seemed to be a good fit at LG.
2. I like Peter Konz, but do you really want to just plug in a rookie center, with the potential that we'll have a 2nd year, 1st year starter at LT as well in Sherrod? Plus we have far greater needs than a Center in the draft, especially round 1.
3. Wells has over achieved, and he is 31 now...but come on...you're coming off of a 15-2 season and you're going to part ways with the leader of your OL? I just don't see the sense in that.

Pounce played very well for PITT as a rookie. Very few players are ready to go right from college to the pros and compete at top NFL level. I think Konz will be one of them.

Cleft Crusty
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
In a pinch, they could put Finley in at center

pbmax
02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Funny, but every writer on Twitter is saying "look at how far apart they are" according to this report, which says nothing about how far apart they are. McGinn qualifies the article by calling it a guess about the outcome based in part on how stubborn Wells can be.

Even the reported fact that Wells wants to be paid as a top 5 center is a problem, as the range in yearly money goes from $8.2 to 5.5 million per.

We can assume that means the Packers haven't gotten to $5.5 yet, but its just a guess. And a bit of a problem since even by McGinn's AFC Scout, he is tied for the 3rd best FA center.

pbmax
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Of course, if you are British and watch the tape of every play of every game, you might think he is the second best of the group by a wide margin.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/21/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-centers/

via Wilde's Twitter

denverYooper
02-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Then he'd file a grievance to be franchised as an LT.

denverYooper
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Funny, but every writer on Twitter is saying "look at how far apart they are" according to this report, which says nothing about how far apart they are. McGinn qualifies the article by calling it a guess about the outcome based in part on how stubborn Wells can be.

Even the reported fact that Wells wants to be paid as a top 5 center is a problem, as the range in yearly money goes from $8.2 to 5.5 million per.

We can assume that means the Packers haven't gotten to $5.5 yet, but its just a guess. And a bit of a problem since even by McGinn's AFC Scout, he is tied for the 3rd best FA center.

Lots of speculation by McGinn. He has no actual quotes from Wells, Wells's agent, or the Packers. He may have just been lurking on Packerrats for this info (sans the scout's quote), for all we know.

The scout's quote, "You can win with Scott Wells", is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Smidgeon
02-21-2012, 11:14 AM

What do you see in Genus?

Patler
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM

I just like the things I have read about him.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls-center-sampson-genus-keeps-impressing-with-work-ethic/1112689

Exceptional work ethic, self motivated.
Strongest player on his college team.
Quick - college line coach said he is the quickest off the snap that he has seen in 28 yrs of coaching o-lines.
Played as a true freshman.
Versatile - started on D-line as a sophmore.
Recognized leader - college HC called him his "bell cow".
Smart - Graduated with Degree in criminology in 3 1/2 years. NHS member in high school.

After MM praised McDonald at every opportunity during and after the 2010 season, and even stated he was a leading candidate to be "most improved" for 2011, when training camp came around they seemed to sour on McDonald quickly, and didn't make much of an effort to keep him around. I wonder if they saw Genus as the one with better potential.

pbmax
02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
McDonald could be the one to replace Koppen at Center for the Patriots if the latter leaves.

hoosier
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM

About an inch less than Wells's 6' 2".

Cleft Crusty
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Then he'd file a grievance to be franchised as an LT.

When they finally pull the plug on Norman Chad, they could look you up as a replacement.

Patler
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
McDonald could be the one to replace Koppen at Center for the Patriots if the latter leaves.

Possible I guess, but I don't think it is likely. McDonald was clearly their 4th center, (third after Koppen was lost for the season). He started a couple games when both Connolly and Wendell were injured, but went back to the bench when they got healthy again. McDonald wasn't signed to their regular roster until neither Connolly nor Wendell was available. He started weeks 13 & 14. Then Wendell came back and started week 15, and Connolly started weeks 16 & 17 and all through the playoffs. McDonald wasn't even active for the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, I think he is the only one of the four that is under contract.

Upnorth
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
About an inch less than Wells's 6' 2".

Well's is 6'2"??? I thougt he was 6' even, because he sure looks small on that line.

Joemailman
02-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Could very well be. He's actually wider than Wells though. Outweighs him by 15 even though an inch shorter. He has, how shall we say, a compact build:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Sampson_Genus.jpg/410px-Sampson_Genus.jpg

MJZiggy
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Could very well be. He's actually wider than Wells though. Outweighs him by 15 even though an inch shorter. He has, how shall we say, a compact build:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Sampson_Genus.jpg/410px-Sampson_Genus.jpg

That's gotta depress the shit out of Nick Barnett.

Little Whiskey
02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
That's gotta depress the shit out of Nick Barnett.

thats got to depress the shit out of those bike tires!

King Friday
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Centers really aren't worth big money deals (esp after the age of 30) and they are not that difficult to replace.

If Wells is looking for big money, and he should be, then it was likely he was going to be leaving. I'm not overly concerned at his departure.

Bretsky
02-21-2012, 07:44 PM
I just like the things I have read about him.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls-center-sampson-genus-keeps-impressing-with-work-ethic/1112689

Exceptional work ethic, self motivated.
Strongest player on his college team.
Quick - college line coach said he is the quickest off the snap that he has seen in 28 yrs of coaching o-lines.
Played as a true freshman.
Versatile - started on D-line as a sophmore.
Recognized leader - college HC called him his "bell cow".
Smart - Graduated with Degree in criminology in 3 1/2 years. NHS member in high school.

After MM praised McDonald at every opportunity during and after the 2010 season, and even stated he was a leading candidate to be "most improved" for 2011, when training camp came around they seemed to sour on McDonald quickly, and didn't make much of an effort to keep him around. I wonder if they saw Genus as the one with better potential.

Haven't you already runied enough careers ? :) Atlas Herrion the 2nd...poor Sampson

Patler
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Haven't you already runied enough careers ? :) Atlas Herrion the 2nd...poor Sampson

:lol: At least I pick long shots in the first place! (Hasn't one venerable member you know well cursed the careers of a few first rounders???? :lol: )

pbmax
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Possible I guess, but I don't think it is likely. McDonald was clearly their 4th center, (third after Koppen was lost for the season). He started a couple games when both Connolly and Wendell were injured, but went back to the bench when they got healthy again. McDonald wasn't signed to their regular roster until neither Connolly nor Wendell was available. He started weeks 13 & 14. Then Wendell came back and started week 15, and Connolly started weeks 16 & 17 and all through the playoffs. McDonald wasn't even active for the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, I think he is the only one of the four that is under contract.

Excellent point. Contracts or no, I forgot Connolly had replaced Koppen. Actually that might have been before this year. The starts he got made me too lazy to look it up.

pbmax
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Can one of the draft rats confirm Scott Wells has always been 6' 2"? Because if true, wist, Harlan and I owe him an apology for the whole Spitz thing.

Rutnstrut
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
This is another dumbass move by the worst GM in the NFL. For those of you that think it's nothing, you obviously know little about the game. A good, solid, SMART center is hard to replace. But I'm sure TT will pull some worthless POS off the street and deem them a raw talent that just needs some playing time. How about someone with skill to protect your MVP QB you dumbass.

Rutnstrut
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Centers really aren't worth big money deals (esp after the age of 30) and they are not that difficult to replace.

If Wells is looking for big money, and he should be, then it was likely he was going to be leaving. I'm not overly concerned at his departure.

Do you really have any idea what a center does besides block, a good center is invaluable and really helps out the QB with his reads.

Brandon494
02-22-2012, 06:20 AM
This is another dumbass move by the worst GM in the NFL. For those of you that think it's nothing, you obviously know little about the game. A good, solid, SMART center is hard to replace. But I'm sure TT will pull some worthless POS off the street and deem them a raw talent that just needs some playing time. How about someone with skill to protect your MVP QB you dumbass.

This is another dumbass post by the worst poster on this board, you obviously know little about the game.

Patler
02-22-2012, 06:38 AM

I remember similar complaints when Flanagan was allowed to leave in free agency.

3irty1
02-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Wells always struck me as that center that would outplay his paycheck simply because he's a scrawny center and it seems everyone is trying to get bigger there. Wells is a great player though, I bet somebody gives him the money he's looking for. EDS seems like the natural choice as a successor.

sheepshead
02-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Ahhh a bash TT post. I love nostalgia. (Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, Brett Favre, Grey Ruegamer bla bla bla) It isnt letting guys go necessarily. With the salary cap its part of football, this isnt the '60s. Its is ability to replace these guys.

Patler
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
It isnt letting guys go necessarily. With the salary cap its part of football, this isnt the '60s. Its is ability to replace these guys.

That's the real issue. Another article discussed that the Packers will likely have to give Rodgers a "lifetime" contract during 2012, because he will have fallen so far behind the other QBs that Flynn could end up making more the next three years than Rodgers will, and several lesser QBs already are. It also mentioned that Matthews will need to be resigned sooner than later, along with Jennings. Lang's contract expires after 2012. Many think it is important to sign Finley to a contract of a few years anyway, and Bulaga could be looking for a big deal in 2013.

Some of the older, more expensive starters have to be let go for younger, inexpensive ones, even if it means a slight drop-off in performance at that position. That is exactly what the salary cap is intended to do, spread out the talent. It's up to TT to find cheaper players at some positions without significant drop-off. It didn't work at Jenkin's spot last year, but that failure by TT could look a lot different in 2012 if Neal finally gets healthy and/or if Jenkins has another of his common injury-filled years. If Wells leaves, hopefully it works out better at his spot in 2012.

ND72
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM

I see a future jersey chaser in the background....

ND72
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM

NOW I remember the JSO days. Ah memories...We might as well bring up Mike Sherman and Brett Favre while we're at it! :)

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
That's the real issue. Another article discussed that the Packers will likely have to give Rodgers a "lifetime" contract during 2012, because he will have fallen so far behind the other QBs that Flynn could end up making more the next three years than Rodgers will, and several lesser QBs already are. It also mentioned that Matthews will need to be resigned sooner than later, along with Jennings. Lang's contract expires after 2012. Many think it is important to sign Finley to a contract of a few years anyway, and Bulaga could be looking for a big deal in 2013.

Some of the older, more expensive starters have to be let go for younger, inexpensive ones, even if it means a slight drop-off in performance at that position. That is exactly what the salary cap is intended to do, spread out the talent. It's up to TT to find cheaper players at some positions without significant drop-off. It didn't work at Jenkin's spot last year, but that failure by TT could look a lot different in 2012 if Neal finally gets healthy and/or if Jenkins has another of his common injury-filled years. If Wells leaves, hopefully it works out better at his spot in 2012.

Good point.

hoosier
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Can one of the draft rats confirm Scott Wells has always been 6' 2"? Because if true, wist, Harlan and I owe him an apology for the whole Spitz thing.
http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2004&pos=C&college=2004 (http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2004&pos=C&college=2004)

Scott Wells (http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Scott&l=Wells&i=6988)
C
74"
300lbs

Guiness
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Wells always struck me as that center that would outplay his paycheck simply because he's a scrawny center and it seems everyone is trying to get bigger there. Wells is a great player though, I bet somebody gives him the money he's looking for. EDS seems like the natural choice as a successor.

It always struck me that you and others call him scrawny! He's 6'2" 300lbs! What's in the water where you are for chrissakes???:lol:

Cleft Crusty
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2004&pos=C&college=2004 (http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2004&pos=C&college=2004)

Scott Wells (http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Scott&l=Wells&i=6988)
C
74"
300lbs

is 74" 6'2"? Clefty always gets confused with inches and feet and how many ounces are in a cup.

3irty1
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
It always struck me that you and others call him scrawny! He's 6'2" 300lbs! What's in the water where you are for chrissakes???:lol:

When you line up against 350lb nose tackles with everyone switching to the 3-4, 300lbs puts you well below the average of a starting center these days.

Fritz
02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
When you look at the players whose contracts are up in the next few years, it becomes more understandable as to why TT is not eager to throw 5 - 7 mill a year to Scott Wells.

Joemailman
02-22-2012, 04:57 PM
When you look at the players whose contracts are up in the next few years, it becomes more understandable as to why TT is not eager to throw 5 - 7 mill a year to Scott Wells.

Starting in 2014 however, TV revenue will go from the current 1.94 billion to 3.1 billion. I'm assuming that will result in a rather substantial increase in the salary cap.

Fritz
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Doesn't it go mostly into the owners' pockets?

hoosier
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
is 74" 6'2"? Clefty always gets confused with inches and feet and how many ounces are in a cup.

I don't know about ounces and cups, but I have some experience with pints. There are three hundred pints in Scott Wells.

Guiness
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't know about ounces and cups, but I have some experience with pints. There are three hundred pints in Scott Wells.

Well isn't he a tall drink of water!

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUbQr4lwpn7su03EdWzqizPpcvcmbs1 RjrWqgtTUnzw94sGrxX

smuggler
02-23-2012, 02:34 AM

It's about 58% to the players, to my understanding.

Pugger
02-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Not in Green Bay...

wpony
02-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I say draft Peter Konz if he drops to us in the 2nd rd and train him to be the center for the future all I see in him is a upside I mean hes big fast and can pull like a guard he could really help our run game.

Rutnstrut
02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I remember similar complaints when Flanagan was allowed to leave in free agency.

Nope I never complained about Flanagan leaving. My point being, we have a crown jewel (Rodgers). So you put the best damn security around that jewel that you can, Wells IS part of that. Makes no sense to give big mouth Finley all that money if the QB can't stay on his feet to get him the ball, which in turn he'll drop anyway.

Patler
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Nope I never complained about Flanagan leaving. My point being, we have a crown jewel (Rodgers). So you put the best damn security around that jewel that you can, Wells IS part of that. Makes no sense to give big mouth Finley all that money if the QB can't stay on his feet to get him the ball, which in turn he'll drop anyway.

I didn't mean that you complained, but others did. We had a crown jewel back then, too; and Flanagan was a better player than Wells is, although at the time he left he was a couple years older than Wells is.

Upnorth
02-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I didn't mean that you complained, but others did. We had a crown jewel back then, too; and Flanagan was a better player than Wells is, although at the time he left he was a couple years older than Wells is.

We also had a worse team with a worse cap situation. Also I think wells has been underrated until this year.

Patler
02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I like Wells, but he was awful at guard. I can't imagine them ever playing him at LT, like Flanagan did.

Scott Campbell
02-23-2012, 08:03 PM

I'd rather have a Lombardi trophy than the Star of Africa.

pbmax
02-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Jason Cole says the Packers have spent part of the weekend talking to Well's agent. https://twitter.com/#!/JasonColeYahoo/status/173435870513336320

But McGinn says they have a long way to go. Bob puts some meat on the bones of his earlier report that Wells wanted big time money. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-could-shift-at-center-634aqdl-140399503.html

Bob's article was published last night, so its unclear whether he or Cole have newer information or if any new proposals have changed hands. But McGinn pegs Wells last request at $7.5 mil per year, which would place him 3rd highest among centers. He believes the Packers are offering $4-5 million.

swede
02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Jason Cole says the Packers have spent part of the weekend talking to Well's agent. https://twitter.com/#!/JasonColeYahoo/status/173435870513336320

But McGinn says they have a long way to go. Bob puts some meat on the bones of his earlier report that Wells wanted big time money. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-could-shift-at-center-634aqdl-140399503.html

Bob's article was published last night, so its unclear whether he or Cole have newer information or if any new proposals have changed hands. But McGinn pegs Wells last request at $7.5 mil per year, which would place him 3rd highest among centers. He believes the Packers are offering $4-5 million.

G'bye.

Brandon494
02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Funny how everyone thought Finley would be he one who would demand a huge contract and be hard to resign.

Bretsky
02-25-2012, 08:11 PM
You don't pay your center like an OT in this offense. And that is not even considering he's 31. I'd be fine with guys like Saturday or Birk and there are plenty of others who are very capable.

Brandon494
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Jeff Saturday to a one year deal if we can't get a deal done with Wells.

Joemailman
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Jeff Saturday to a one year deal if we can't get a deal done with Wells.

Doesn't seem to be in TT's MO to sign a stopgap as a starter. If he doesn't sign Wells, Wells' replacement will likely be younger than Wells.

Brandon494
02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Doesn't seem to be in TT's MO to sign a stopgap as a starter. If he doesn't sign Wells, Wells' replacement will likely be younger than Wells.

true

pbmax
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Funny how everyone thought Finley would be he one who would demand a huge contract and be hard to resign.

A good point. But Wells does have one more source of motivation: this will be his only big contract.

Pugger
02-26-2012, 08:29 AM

I'd love to know if OTHER teams would be willing to pay Wells his $7.5M a year. If not, he'll be back at $5M.

pittstang5
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I'd love to know if OTHER teams would be willing to pay Wells his $7.5M a year. If not, he'll be back at $5M.

I like Wells, I hope he stays, but I can't see him getting 7.5 mil a year. He's good, but I just don't see that much for that position.

gbgary
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
according to pft the Pack are talking to texan's center chris myers to replace wells...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/report-packers-pursuing-texans-center-chris-myers/

Smidgeon
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
according to pft the Pack are talking to texan's center chris myers to replace wells...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/report-packers-pursuing-texans-center-chris-myers/

I expected more chatter on this site about this. Mostly because I don't know which opinion I should have yet. :D

Bretsky
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
I expected more chatter on this site about this. Mostly because I don't know which opinion I should have yet. :D

IMO Myers is better than Wells

MadtownPacker
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM

Think that might have something to do with him not really being able to demand a big contract? You think if he had 1200 yds and 12 tds he would have signed that shiznit???

What do he suppose to do? :lol:

mraynrand
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM

+1

pittstang5
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Stupid question, but I'll ask. So, I guess Myers will be a FA come March 13th?

mraynrand
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM

Everyone? Don't sell yourself short there, guy. Just give yourself a big ole pat on the back! :)

KYPack
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
There are nine OC's that started games in '11 that are UFA's this off-season.

In addition to Wells & Myers the FA OC's are:

Todd McClure (ATL) - OC
Brett Romberg (ATL) - OC
Matt Birk (BAL) - OC
Andre Gurode (BAL) - OC
Geoff Hangartner - OC
Don Muhlbach (DET) - OC
Ryan Pontbriand (FA) - OC
Mike Pollak (IND) - OC
Jeff Saturday (IND) - OC
Casey Wiegmann (KC) - OC
Dan Koppen (NE) - OC
Nick Hardwick (SD) - OC
Scott Mruczkowski (SD) - OC
Ken Amato (TEN) - OC

Birk has said if he doesn't go back to the Ravens, he'll quit.

Joemailman
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Hardwick is a good player who is considering retirement after suffering a seizure following a concussion.

Bretsky
02-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Stupid question, but I'll ask. So, I guess Myers will be a FA come March 13th?

Myers and Wells are in similar situations. Both unsigned right now and it looks like both will be FA come March 13

Fritz
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
With that crowd out there it's hard to imagine Wells getting 7.5 per. Hard to imagine any of them getting that.

Upnorth
02-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Its a great year to have your center up for FA, good supply will drop the price. RE bringing in a free agent, how complex is our system considered? It seems every player needs seasoning in our system before they can play in it. If Houston playes a similar system then Meyer would be only a small downgrade, and perhaps be quite a bit cheaper than Wells. The problem is how long till he can play our system, plus develop a rhythm with Arod so they are on the same page with shifts in blocking assignments.

Smidgeon
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Its a great year to have your center up for FA, good supply will drop the price. RE bringing in a free agent, how complex is our system considered? It seems every player needs seasoning in our system before they can play in it. If Houston playes a similar system then Meyer would be only a small downgrade, and perhaps be quite a bit cheaper than Wells. The problem is how long till he can play our system, plus develop a rhythm with Arod so they are on the same page with shifts in blocking assignments.

If you're good enough, you can play in any system. Right away.

Upnorth
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
If you're good enough, you can play in any system. Right away.

Is Meyer good enough?

Cleft Crusty
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Is Meyer good enough?

Yes he is.

Cleft Crusty
02-28-2012, 04:08 PM
There are nine OC's that started games in '11 that are UFA's this off-season.

In addition to Wells & Myers the FA OC's are:

Todd McClure (ATL) - OC
Brett Romberg (ATL) - OC
Matt Birk (BAL) - OC
Andre Gurode (BAL) - OC
Geoff Hangartner - OC
Don Muhlbach (DET) - OC
Ryan Pontbriand (FA) - OC
Mike Pollak (IND) - OC
Jeff Saturday (IND) - OC
Casey Wiegmann (KC) - OC
Dan Koppen (NE) - OC
Nick Hardwick (SD) - OC
Scott Mruczkowski (SD) - OC
Ken Amato (TEN) - OC

Birk has said if he doesn't go back to the Ravens, he'll quit.

Clefty imagines a game of musical chairs. Perhaps Birk will be the one left standing when the music's over, and he will simply walk away.

SkinBasket
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
This is another dumbass move by the worst GM in the NFL.

Officially nominated for dumbest post of the year. The year is young, but the bar is now very, very high.

Joemailman
03-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Officially nominated for dumbest post of the year. The year is young, but the bar is now very, very high.

Gotta hand it to him though. He thinks big.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 03:46 AM

If that disparity between want and offer is correct:

Good bye Scott Wells if any other team covets him. Scott Wells has to be loved by another NFL team.

Why would any team open their vault for Scott Wells Pro Boweler now or not? There are alot of FA centers available now. Will another team pay Scott Wells anywhere near that number he's reportd as wanting.

Here's where a great agent comes in swinging the words.

His agent might argue thaqt before that expensive WR can catch the ball. The ball has to be accurately thrown to him by the WR's QB. To ensure that the center protects the QB from eating the turf more than not.

Besides before the play goes into action the center has to hike the ball.

The Center is important.