PDA

View Full Version : Packers likely to cut Clifton, restructure Driver

Brando19
02-24-2012, 06:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/packers-likely-to-cut-chad-clifton-restructure-donald-driver/

I definitely think it's time to move on from Clifton. No reason to pay him for playing 5 games a season.

Bretsky
02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
makes good sense

goldplater
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
I would like to see Chad back as assistent line coach and DD on the field.
With 35 years and badly demolished knees it is better to quit for the body and start using the brain only

Upnorth
02-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Welcome aboard goldplater, good suggestion. I think having Cliffy's knowledge would be great if he is a good teacher. Does anyone know how his relationships were with the rest of the line?

pbmax
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Packer Report (whom Wilde likes but I do not read regularly) said that they believe this information (originally from Jason Cole) to be premature.

Upnorth
02-25-2012, 01:08 PM
If we think Wells is old at 31 why keep 35 and oft injured Cliffy?

Pugger
02-26-2012, 09:04 AM
If we think Wells is old at 31 why keep 35 and oft injured Cliffy?

Because good LTs that can pass protect are hard to find? :wink: I wonder if we'd keep Cliffy if he took a pay cut and accepted a backup role...? :cnf:

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Clifton is more valuable to the team at this point than Driver. I would rather keep Clifton and cut Driver, or just restructure both. If we don't tag Flynn (which I doubt we will) we will have plenty of cap space. Sherrod probably has a 50-50 chance of being ready coming off the PUP list with no off season training. After Newhouse and Bulaga we have no one to go to. Cutting Clifton right now would be a mistake b/c its better to keep him as a backup if nothing else.

Upnorth
02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Clifton is more valuable to the team at this point than Driver. I would rather keep Clifton and cut Driver, or just restructure both. If we don't tag Flynn (which I doubt we will) we will have plenty of cap space. Sherrod probably has a 50-50 chance of being ready coming off the PUP list with no off season training. After Newhouse and Bulaga we have no one to go to. Cutting Clifton right now would be a mistake b/c its better to keep him as a backup if nothing else.
I had forgotten about the Sherrod injury. I am changing my position (yet again) and would like to see a restructured Cliffy kept as a backup.

pittstang5
02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Sherrod broke his leg in the Kansas City game. Granted, I don't know how bad it was, but from my understanding and limited medical knowledge, in the football world, a break is usually better than a tear. Unless I'm missing something, Sherrod should be all but healed by now and should be able to participate in the off-season stuff...at the very least, be full go for TC. If Clifton is let go, the LT spot will be between him and Newhouse. I really don't care who wins, as long as someone steps up.

pbmax
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Sherrod broke his leg in the Kansas City game. Granted, I don't know how bad it was, but from my understanding and limited medical knowledge, in the football world, a break is usually better than a tear. Unless I'm missing something, Sherrod should be all but healed by now and should be able to participate in the off-season stuff...at the very least, be full go for TC. If Clifton is let go, the LT spot will be between him and Newhouse. I really don't care who wins, as long as someone steps up.

True about bone breaks, but outside of your femur (which can be life threatening) breaking your lower leg (both tibia and fibula) is about as severe as it gets. Longest recovery and most chance of complications. It was going to be months, not weeks, before he could even begin to rehab, much less do football work. He is highly questionable for camp at this point. You have to think he is a candidate for PUP at this time.

Smidgeon
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
True about bone breaks, but outside of your femur (which can be life threatening) breaking your lower leg (both tibia and fibula) is about as severe as it gets. Longest recovery and most chance of complications. It was going to be months, not weeks, before he could even begin to rehab, much less do football work. He is highly questionable for camp at this point. You have to think he is a candidate for PUP at this time.

Which means the PUP will have at least Sherrod and Quarless to begin the season. Any other candidates at this point?

Patler
02-26-2012, 01:39 PM

I read some medical sites that said for full bone strength with both bones broken in the leg, 6-12 months recovery for a person with a relatively active life style, and that it is very risky before full bone strength is achieved. Considering he should have an active life style with the Packers, and those broken bones will have to support 350 lbs or so during games with a lot of pounding and stress, it would seem they will be fortunate to have him back at all for 2012.

Patler
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Which means the PUP will have at least Sherrod and Quarless to begin the season. Any other candidates at this point?

Probably Alex Green too.

pittstang5
02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Did some research after I posted and saw that it was both tibia and fibula. I didn't know that. Damn, the more I think about it, the Packers 2012 O-line could be totally reworked, with Wells potentially leaving and only Newhouse at LT.

What about moving Bulaga to LT? He's been great at RT, but maybe he needs to play at LT for a year until Sherrod is 100%. Personally, I'd rather have Bulaga at LT and Newhouse or a FA or draft pick at RT. Unless TT gets a solid LT in the draft, but I think I'm in the majority that most feel TT needs to focus on the defense in the rounds where a starting LT would be picked.

Ouch, my brain hurts now.

MJZiggy
02-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Did some research after I posted and saw that it was both tibia and fibula. I didn't know that. Damn, the more I think about it, the Packers 2012 O-line could be totally reworked, with Wells potentially leaving and only Newhouse at LT.

What about moving Bulaga to LT? He's been great at RT, but maybe he needs to play at LT for a year until Sherrod is 100%. Personally, I'd rather have Bulaga at LT and Newhouse or a FA or draft pick at RT. Unless TT gets a solid LT in the draft, but I think I'm in the majority that most feel TT needs to focus on the defense in the rounds where a starting LT would be picked.

Ouch, my brain hurts now.

Protecting your star quarterback's backside is always the first priority. (Didn't you see The Blind Side?? :))

Upnorth
02-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Even with cliffy back I thinl Newhouse would start at LT, my big fear is center. It seems everyone thinks a center of Wells level is easy to replace, but he is easily top 5 in league. He has good strenght, great leverage (how bout those pad levels) and smart. He and Arod are on the same page and that's important. I hear he wants 7.5 mil, I hope we at least off 6 to him. If we keep Wells and restructure Cliffy, we can go all out on D for the draft.

smuggler
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I would say top-10, but we can do without him.

Guiness
02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Probably Alex Green too.

Was his injury that bad as well?

So Quarless, Sherrod and Greene all badly broke their legs!

smuggler
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Alex Green tore his ACL. Quarless totally destroyed one knee. Sherrod had the two bones.

Worst part is, if not for an officiating mistake, Quarless wouldn't have been blocked in the back of the knee like like that against the Giants. The dude signaled fair catch.

Also, I forget who it was, but Alex Green's injury was the result of a stupid play by one of our other players.

Joemailman
02-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Greene's knee injury occurred in October. I wouldn't rule him out for the start of training camp. Quarless had a more serious injury, and it occurred in December. He will likely be on the PUP list.

pittstang5
02-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Thought I remembered reading that Quarless really screwed up his knee and could be career ending. Again, I think I read that somewhere and I'm too lazy to find it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for alot of these injuries. This time of year really sucks for trying to find information on injured players.

pbmax
02-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Clifton has recently had back surgery and feels better. Somehow, I am not sure the team does.

www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/clifton-feeling-much-better-after-back-surgery-5j4beb3-140524513.html

Patler
02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Greene's knee injury occurred in October. I wouldn't rule him out for the start of training camp. Quarless had a more serious injury, and it occurred in December. He will likely be on the PUP list.

Green was injured October 23, but didn't have surgery until November 16. At the start of camp, he will be just over 8 months post surgery,. The Packers tend to be very cautious about bringing guys back too soon. PUP list would make him available 11 months after his surgery. On the other hand, a recent article said he was "ahead of schedule" on his rehab. Of course, I have heard that before, then the Packers still hold the guy out, and MM says they are trying to "be smart" with his recovery! :lol:

Pugger
02-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Clifton has recently had back surgery and feels better. Somehow, I am not sure the team does.

www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/clifton-feeling-much-better-after-back-surgery-5j4beb3-140524513.html

With Sherrod's uncertainty do we really want EDS as Newhouse's lone backup?

gbgary
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
yeah cliffy said he had instant relief. maybe he's good for another year or two now.

Smidgeon
02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Green was injured October 23, but didn't have surgery until November 16. At the start of camp, he will be just over 8 months post surgery,. The Packers tend to be very cautious about bringing guys back too soon. PUP list would make him available 11 months after his surgery. On the other hand, a recent article said he was "ahead of schedule" on his rehab. Of course, I have heard that before, then the Packers still hold the guy out, and MM says they are trying to "be smart" with his recovery! :lol:

Man, all three I have a lot of hopes to be significant contributors. Too bad we'll probably have to wait another year to see if any of them can be valuable members of this team.