PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson Question

pbmax
02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
So all season long, Wilson was 6 feet tall. Then after the season he became 5' 10".

Now all of Twitter is referring to him as 5' 11" Russell Wilson.

Was that his official height at the Combine?

Feel free to delete thread after the answer pops up. Thank you.

Joemailman
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
5-11 http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/russell-wilson?id=2532975

MJZiggy
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a better question: who is Russell Wilson?

pbmax
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
5-11 http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/russell-wilson?id=2532975

I saw that there but my impression was that all the stuff on NFL.com was unofficial? Or was that just the timed runs?

pbmax
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I have a better question: who is Russell Wilson?

Wisconsin Badger QB.

Upnorth
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Some one who has never been in your kitchen.

Lurker64
02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
I have Wilson's accurate height and weight as of the NFL Combine weigh-in as 5105, 204. He's not tall.

smuggler
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Is that 5 feet 10 inches and 5/8ths on an inch?

Joemailman
02-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Is that 5 feet 10 inches and 5/8ths on an inch?

Yes. The last number is eighths of an inch. ESPN has the same measurement. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=28525&_slug_=russell-wilson&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d28525%26_slug_% 3drussell-wilson

MJZiggy
02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Wisconsin Badger QB.

You see how often we get the Badger games around here.

pbmax
02-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes. The last number is eighths of an inch. ESPN has the same measurement. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=28525&_slug_=russell-wilson&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d28525%26_slug_% 3drussell-wilson

1 inch more and he's a million or two ahead in the bank. Ouch.

Brandon494
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
What is his projection? I wouldn't mind if we used a 3rd or 4th round pick on him, I think he could easily be another Matt Flynn.

pbmax
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
What is his projection? I wouldn't mind if we used a 3rd or 4th round pick on him, I think he could easily be another Matt Flynn.

A personnel guy Wilde talked to had him with a fourth round grade before the combine and hadn't changed his mind.

Pugger
02-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Its a shame he isn't 3 or 4 inches taller. He has everything else you want in a QB...

Lurker64
02-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Its a shame he isn't 3 or 4 inches taller. He has everything else you want in a QB...

If he were 6'2 he'd go on day 1 or 2, but the fact that he can't see over the OL is kind of big.

Pugger
02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
If he were 6'2 he'd go on day 1 or 2, but the fact that he can't see over the OL is kind of big.

Of course he played behind an O line that was bigger than the Packers' last season in Madison...

Deputy Nutz
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Scouts are saying any where from round 3 to round 6. Scouts love his leadership and personality. They like the fact that he can throw through windows, good footwork. They don't like the fact that he is under 6 feet tall, but says he is already better than any other qb in the NFL that is under 6 feet. Better than Senneca Wallace. He completed 28 of 38 passes at the combine with 4 drops by receivers. Scouts did comment that he has a little arch on his passes, probably because he is short.

Some scouts won't draft him simply because he is short.

Lurker64
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Of course he played behind an O line that was bigger than the Packers' last season in Madison...

And he really didn't throw that effectively from the pocket, most everything was a rollout or a bootleg. That sort of thing doesn't fly in the NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I like Wilson. The height thing is overrated. I'd be happy if the Pack pick him up in the draft. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with his playing ability.

sharpe1027
02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
And he really didn't throw that effectively from the pocket, most everything was a rollout or a bootleg. That sort of thing doesn't fly in the NFL.

I watched every game and have to disagree. While he was good out of the pocket, I thought that he stayed in the pocket most of the time. Certainly not "most everything" was out of the pocket. I don't think he was ineffective from the pocket by any stretch of the imagination.

bobblehead
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I like Wilson. The height thing is overrated. I'd be happy if the Pack pick him up in the draft. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with his playing ability.

the height thing is overrated? Name me a successful QB under 6'. Drew Brees is right about 6' and he is the ONLY one that comes to mind under 6'2". I also think the size thing is overrated for OL. I am 5'10" and 200lbs., but I am sure I can man up to Clay.

SkinBasket
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I watched every game and have to disagree. While he was good out of the pocket, I thought that he stayed in the pocket most of the time. Certainly not "most everything" was out of the pocket. I don't think he was ineffective from the pocket by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree. And because I do, you are right.

Amazing how Bielema could fuck up with the offensive set up we had this season, but fuck it he did. 1 great RB. 1 pretty damn good RB. Leaving a highly skilled QB with absolutely no pressure to produce. I guess when you only run like 5 plays all season defenses come prepared though.

Deputy Nutz
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think offense was the problem for the Badgers. I think it was on the other side of the football where the Badgers had problems.

Cheesehead Craig
02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
the height thing is overrated? Name me a successful QB under 6'. Drew Brees is right about 6' and he is the ONLY one that comes to mind under 6'2". I also think the size thing is overrated for OL. I am 5'10" and 200lbs., but I am sure I can man up to Clay.

With pass protection it's about throwing lanes. If there's no lanes then QB's of any height have a problem.

He had to throw behind an OL that is bigger than the Packers and similar to many in the NFL. He seemed to have a pretty good season as I recall being one of the tops in pass efficiency and all, so the height issue seems to not be all that important.

You think OL are ok at 5'10" and 200lbs? I don't think I'm going to follow you on your thoughts on our OL then.

packrulz
03-02-2012, 05:08 AM
I don't think you really have to draft a QB to be the future starter, if you draft a guy in the 5th or 6th round it's ok for him to be a career backup. As a coach I would have him do more seven step drops, shotgun plays, and rollouts if he's a bit short. I hope TT takes him in the 5th round, the guy is good, better than a lot of taller starting QB's like Tavarius Jackson.
Tom Oates column: UW's Wilson comes up short in NFL's eyes
By all accounts, Russell Wilson had a strong showing at the NFL draft combine.

The former University of Wisconsin quarterback impressed scouts on the field and off. He ran fast, threw accurately and showed NFL-caliber arm strength. He put his personality, dedication and football intelligence on display.

When it was over, though, Wilson hadn’t really changed his NFL profile. Scouts see him today much the same way they did after his one spectacular season at UW.

Their widely held view? He has everything you want in a starting NFL quarterback except height.

UW listed Wilson at 6-foot, but when he was measured at the combine, the truth came out. Wilson was 5-10 5⁄8 without shoes.

The NFL is a cruel world and the cold, hard facts for Wilson are that many teams will dismiss him based on that number alone and many others will consider him a career backup. I’m not saying that’s right or that Wilson won’t someday prove everyone wrong, but I am saying that’s the way the NFL scouts and coaches think.

Wilson has pointed out — correctly — that he is an extraordinary playmaker. Due to his stature, however, NFL types will doubt whether he can consistently make plays from the pocket.

Even in an era where a quarterback’s mobility is growing in importance, no team is willing to use a high draft pick on or entrust their future to a quarterback if they don’t think he can operate successfully in the pocket. Instead, they wonder whether he can see over a wall of linemen enough to read defenses.

Of course, no one has to sell Wilson’s virtues to anyone around here. He was a great player and leader at UW even though he didn’t see the playbook until July. But just as Wilson can’t change his stature, he is unlikely to change the minds of NFL scouts and coaches between now and the draft.

Don’t misunderstand that, there’s room for Wilson in the league. Seneca Wallace, who stands 5-11, has been a quality NFL backup for seven seasons and Wilson has better skills than he does. Some think Wilson could be an ideal backup for a long time. His quick release and over-the-top motion should help to overcome his height deficiencies and his athleticism would be a change of pace for defenses.
Unfortunately for Wilson, finding a team that considers him a potential starter won’t be easy. Most scouts and coaches believe 6-2 is the minimum magic number for a quarterback in the modern NFL offense.

Of course, there are exceptions — think Drew Brees — but for the most part the NFL wants tall quarterbacks who can stand in the pocket, survey defenses and fire rockets all over the field. A running component is preferred, but it’s not necessary. That makes it hard for shorter quarterbacks to succeed.

Doug Flutie, who was 5-9, played for a long time but completed less than 55 percent of his passes and bounced around to four teams. To find regular playing time, he had to go to the Canadian Football League in mid-career.

Wilson’s idol is Brees, which makes sense. Brees was one of four NFL quarterback starters under 6-2 last season and was the only one who played on a winning team.

When Brees was at the combine in 2001, he measured 5-11 7⁄8. He asked for a repeat measurement and it was a shade over 6-0. However, Brees is a rarity in the NFL, a quarterback with charisma, intelligence, instincts, nimble feet, arm strength and a lightning-quick release.

Wilson has many of the same traits, but even Brees was heavily doubted coming out of Purdue. Concerns over his height and arm strength caused him to drop to the second round in the draft. Even though he had played well in San Diego, the Chargers allowed him to leave in free agency. He didn’t become elite until he got to New Orleans and found an offense that fit his abilities.

Finding a good fit is everything for a shorter quarterback. NFL types believe such quarterbacks need special systems and the right kind of players around them whereas taller quarterbacks can make up for personnel deficiencies.

If a team does tailor its offense to a shorter, more mobile quarterback, what happens if he is injured and the backup is a stay-at-home pocket passer? Does the team have to change the offense in mid-stream?

Because most NFL coaches are neither risk-takers nor out-of-the-box thinkers, they are reluctant to commit to a quarterback who doesn’t fit their system. So even if Wilson has the talent to play at a winning NFL level, he still must convince someone he can thrive in their system.

Wilson will get his chance to start in the NFL, it just won’t come right away. He will probably be a mid- to late-round draft pick and settle into a backup role. At some point, the starter will falter or get hurt and Wilson will be thrown into the mix. Only then will we know whether his height is worthy of all the discussion it is generating now.

Bretsky
03-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Not buying into this; I think he was solid from the pocket and outright scary when he broke it. I think the guy can make good money being a solid backup QB for a while

Pugger
03-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Doug Flutie. He was basically bypassed by the NFL and had a successful career in the CFL, winning 3 Grey Cups. In 1998 he played in Buffalo Bills, where he earned Pro Bowl and NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors. He played for the San Diego Chargers from 2001 to 2004, and finished his career as a member of the New England Patriots in 2005.

Patler
03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Doug Flutie. He was basically bypassed by the NFL and had a successful career in the CFL, winning 3 Grey Cups. In 1998 he played in Buffalo Bills, where he earned Pro Bowl and NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors. He played for the San Diego Chargers from 2001 to 2004, and finished his career as a member of the New England Patriots in 2005.

I guess it depends on what is meant by "successful". Doug Flutie had a few highlights, for sure, but he never completed even 58% of his passes in a season in which he had appreciable playing time, and was under 55% for his NFL career. Had a very good CFL career, but nothing more than a backup in the NFL, even though he played several years as a starter. No team ever committed to him as a starter, he started due to circumstances. Talented enough to hang around as one of the better backups.

sharpe1027
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
There's almost none at 6' or less. Jeff Blake was successful for a time. He was listed between 6' and 6'1", but some articles suggested that he wasn't even that tall.

Fosco33
03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I heard he's a 5-6 rd projection. I dunno - I feel like he should be 3-4.

Great arm strength, very good vision, very elusive (extends plays, scrambles, can rush).

True - he'll probably be a back-up unless he gets a shot through injury - but the intangible quality of his leadership and will to win make up the 1-3 inches - imo.

Spaulding
03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
The part that still confuses me is that he played behind a line that was arguably as big if not bigger than the average NFL line. How does he perform so successfully at the collegiate level and then suddenly not in the NFL? I know the game is far faster but it's not going to be a speed thing for him. I could also see where they thought he only made plays when scrambling out of the pocket but that wasn't the case either as he played quarterback the way it was meant to be played, pass first from the pocket and only scramble on breakdowns.

Would love to the Pack snag him in the 5th if possible. I think he's going to pleasantly surprise whoever drafts him as he's mature beyond his years, a natural leader and has the arm strength necessary to complete all the throws. Lack of height e damned :)

Deputy Nutz
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
If he was available in the later rounds the Packers would be fools for not taking him, he would be the second best starter on the roster. Thompson was around Seattle when they took Seneca Wallace so I don't think he has a adversion for taking shorter QBs.

Smidgeon
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
If he was available in the later rounds the Packers would be fools for not taking him, he would be the second best starter on the roster. Thompson was around Seattle when they took Seneca Wallace so I don't think he has a adversion for taking shorter QBs.

I'm assuming he's a more talented passer than Seneca? I ask that having gone to school at Iowa State when Seneca was there. He couldn't throw the ball, but he could destroy you running.

woodbuck27
03-03-2012, 05:10 AM
1 inch more and he's a million or two ahead in the bank. Ouch.

and not possibly headed to the CFL.

Deputy Nutz
03-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm assuming he's a more talented passer than Seneca? I ask that having gone to school at Iowa State when Seneca was there. He couldn't throw the ball, but he could destroy you running.

If Wilson was a 2 inches taller he would have been invited to New York for the Heisman presentation. He was that good and had a 70% completion rating. He is a pass first qb with the intagibles of a great athlete. He is a very smart and talented young man, but he is 5'10" and 85% of the teams out there won't draft him regardless. Usually teams stayed away from short QB because they usually had average to below average arm strength, and were also of frail build, but Wilson his stocky, can make all the throws, he can make the right reads, and he can also run.

The team that ends up with Wilson is going to be really happy, and then have a QB controversy down the road.

Rutnstrut
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Just put lifts in his cleats;)

mraynrand
03-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Wilson has a much higher ceiling (no pun intended) than Seneca Wallace. I've seen Seneca in practice. Wilson has better accuracy, better mechanics, better velocity. Seneca runs better.

packrulz
03-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Packers GM Thompson: UW QB Wilson 'impressive' at Wisconsin's pro day

Written by
Tom Mulhern
Wisconsin State Journal
The one thing former University of Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson can’t change about himself prior to the NFL draft is his height.

Or can he?

Wilson measured at 5-foot-11 at UW’s pro timing day on Wednesday, or 3/8 of an inch taller than he measured at the combine and Senior Bowl.

Maybe it was his longer hair style, but it was an indication of how well things went for Wilson in front of a large contingent of NFL coaches and personnel executives.

He threw 63 passes inside the McClain Center during a lengthy workout run by former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke, who has worked with Wilson the last seven weeks.

Wilson was on target with 59 of his throws, including two drops. He clearly looked comfortable, in his element, throwing to former Badgers such as wide receivers Nick Toon and David Gilreath, tight end Jake Byrne and fullback Bradie Ewing.

“We were just trying to show everything I could possibly do,” Wilson said. “I think I had a very, very efficient day today.”

Wilson said he threw every route he could possibly throw in the NFL, including several deep balls.

“A lot of times, in these situations, at the end, scouts want to see certain throws,” Weinke said. “My plan coming in was we were going to make every throw they could ever want to see from him — and he passed with flying colors today.”

Wilson was extremely accurate last season, completing 72.8 percent of his passes (225 of 309). His accuracy didn’t drop much on the run, either.

But what he also showed the scouts was his arm strength and velocity on the ball.

When Weinke was asked about Wilson’s overall accuracy, and accuracy on the run, he said, “Those are both things he does well. But I also think what he showed today was some serious arm strength.

“Being able to drop back smoothly and be able to deliver the ball on time, with not only accuracy but some serious velocity and then to be able to show he can throw the ball down the field, I heard some ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ once he dropped a couple of those long ones in.”

Throwing against “air,” with no defenders on the field, Wilson completed several deep throws. The only deep incompletions included one overthrow to Gilreath and a drop by Gilreath, who finished his UW career in 2010.
The only other poor throws by Wilson were overthrows to Toon on an out, as well as to Toon a flag route; and a pass when Wilson led Byrne too much over the middle.

A couple of the receivers helped Wilson out with nice catches: Gilreath reached back to snag a pass slightly behind him and also made a nice catch on a ball at his knees. But most of the throws were right on target.

“I think (accuracy) is something that’s going to be huge in the NFL,” Wilson said. “Obviously, you always want to be accurate with the football. You want to deliver the ball on time and put it in a place where only your guy can get it.”

While Wilson threw at the combine in Indianapolis last month, he said that included only five different routes. This was his chance to show he could make every throw.

In addition to throwing to familiar receivers, former Badgers center Peter Konz snapped for Wilson. Konz didn’t do anything else for scouts, electing to work out in April instead, when his injured ankle should be 100 percent.

Konz missed three games last season, prior to the Rose Bowl, following a dislocated left ankle. He estimated he is about 90 percent healthy.

When asked about Wilson’s performance, Konz said, “Fantastic. We all expected that out of him, just because he’s as good as everyone thinks he is and probably even better than that. He just needs his shot.”

The NFL scouts also seemed impressed, including Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, who is in the market for a backup quarterback.

“He’s a very impressive fellow,” Thompson said of Wilson, “articulate, knowledgeable, confident, and he projects that confidence. He’s going to be a good get for somebody.”

Wilson certainly hasn’t ended all questions about his height leading up to the draft. But he has answered them the best way he knows how, with his play.

“I’ve been this way my whole life,” he said. “My height’s not a factor. I played this way my whole life. I think I only got three balls batted down all (last) season. The key is finding lanes and delivering the ball on time.

“There’s not that much of a difference if I was 6-1, or 5-11, to be honest with you, playing behind the offensive line we play behind and the defensive players in the NFL. You don’t really see over guys, you throw through lanes, deliver an accurate ball, throw the ball with a little arc and pace and just make plays.”

Patler
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Interesting remark in one article. Thompson apparently never misses USC pro days because of the depth of their talent. This year he passed on going to USC this week, as well as many others, to go to Wisconsin's. Speculation was that he is very interested in either Konz or Zeitler as centers and Wilson as a backup QB. Wilson and Zeitler worked out, Konz is still waiting for his ankle to heal.

woodbuck27
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Some one who has never been in your kitchen.

Your so nice and kitchen implies simply 'milk and cookies'. Really so uncomplicated without any recourse towords considering RW's scrambling abilities.

Oooohhhhh Caaaaa Naaaaa Daaaaaa.

Fosco33
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Interesting remark in one article. Thompson apparently never misses USC pro days because of the depth of their talent. This year he passed on going to USC this week, as well as many others, to go to Wisconsin's. Speculation was that he is very interested in either Konz or Zeitler as centers and Wilson as a backup QB. Wilson and Zeitler worked out, Konz is still waiting for his ankle to heal.

I heard Zeitler saw Thompson in Indy - outside a facility. He walked by and Ted said something like, "hey Zeitler - you're not gonna stop and say hi?".

Pretty funny.

Also interesting that Wilson grew ~.5 inch in a month. He must be getting stretched daily.

swede
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Also interesting that Wilson grew ~.5 inch in a month. He must be getting stretched daily.

There might be some new technology out there. I get a lot of e-mails wondering if I want to add more inches.

Smidgeon
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
“He’s a very impressive fellow,” Thompson said of Wilson, “articulate, knowledgeable, confident, and he projects that confidence. He’s going to be a good get for somebody.”

AKA: Someone else will get him. If Thompson praised him this much, he's not looking at him. :D

woodbuck27
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
There might be some new technology out there. I get a lot of e-mails wondering if I want to add more inches.

Yea me too; fortunately it ends up in my SPAM account. Besides adding inch's doesn't improve on perfection in terms of competence.

swede
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

AKA: Someone else will get him. If Thompson praised him this much, he's not looking at him. :D

^^^^
If there was a book called "The Ted Thompson Translator's Companion" this would be in it as an example of what Ted means when...

woodbuck27
03-10-2012, 04:57 AM
^^^^
If there was a book called "The Ted Thompson Translator's Companion" this would be in it as an example of what Ted means when...

Really.