PDA

View Full Version : No Franch Tag for Flynn or his Mom

SkinBasket
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Saw on NFL Network today that GB will not use the tag and trade trick on Flynn. I guess now that Al Davis is dead, Ted didn't think he could trick anyone into a stupid deal.

I think it's a waste, but maybe no one was willing to play ball on the other end.

gbpackfan
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Are you telling me no one would trade a 3rd round pick for Flynn? Or a 4th? We couldn't get anything for the guy? Ted should absolutely play tag and trade. There is absolutely no reason not to. We won't be stuck with his salary, some team will bite.

Brando19
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
is this confirmed or just speculation? There's so many he said she said going on with this Flynn situation.

SkinBasket
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
is this confirmed or just speculation? There's so many he said she said going on with this Flynn situation.

They just scrolled it on the NFL network ticker this morning. I don't know what their sources are. Probably the same ESPN Milwaukee report from a day or two ago that cited zero sources.

I also have no source on Flynn's mom being tagged other than trite speculation based on personal experience.

Lurker64
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Saw on NFL Network today that GB will not use the tag and trade trick on Flynn. I guess now that Al Davis is dead, Ted didn't think he could trick anyone into a stupid deal.

I think it's a waste, but maybe no one was willing to play ball on the other end.

It's just speculation, nobody knows what Ted's going to do until he does it.

Two days ago the NFLN ticker was emblazoned with "Packers to franchise Flynn". Three days from now it could be that again.

MadScientist
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you telling me no one would trade a 3rd round pick for Flynn? Or a 4th? We couldn't get anything for the guy? Ted should absolutely play tag and trade. There is absolutely no reason not to. We won't be stuck with his salary, some team will bite.

Flynn holds too many cards here. The tag is worth ~14M guaranteed, so any one who got him would need to work out a multi-year deal worth more than that to avoid the massive cap hit this year, and to lock Flynn up. Or if Flynn doesn't want to play there, he could always just say no to a deal and take the money for this year. Too tricky to get everything to work out, and given what happened with Cassel, you'd have to thing other teams have some skepticism ahout a QB that looks good on a very good team.

ThunderDan
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Flynn holds too many cards here. The tag is worth ~14M guaranteed, so any one who got him would need to work out a multi-year deal worth more than that to avoid the massive cap hit this year, and to lock Flynn up. Or if Flynn doesn't want to play there, he could always just say no to a deal and take the money for this year. Too tricky to get everything to work out, and given what happened with Cassel, you'd have to thing other teams have some skepticism ahout a QB that looks good on a very good team.

I didn't think NFL players could refuse trades like MLBers.

hoosier
02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I think he meant that Flynn just says no to renegotiating the tag contract.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Doesn't he mean Flynn will take the tag but not negotiate a longer term deal with the team making the trade if the team doesn't suit him?

Btw the ticker just showed TT traded Flynn's mom for a 6th round choice. Shit, he probably draft a HOFer with it.

Bretsky
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Been telling yall this for about six weeks but the Homer Juice was so strong it clogged everybody's ears up. We need to bring in a guy like Scott Borass to manipulate a deal like this

Bretsky
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Ya got Manning out there
Ya got QB's to draft
and Ya can get Flynn for a hefty pricetag w/o draft picks

The players were limited IMO

MadtownPacker
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Been telling yall this for about six weeks but the Homer Juice was so strong it clogged everybody's ears up. We need to bring in a guy like Scott Borass to manipulate a deal like this
Save that BS until you change your sig asshole.

gbpackfan
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Let's not forget, Flynn WANTS a chance to play. He wants to start and he knows he doesn't have a future in GB as a starter. Flynn won't hold up any negotiations for a one year pay day. He is looking long term.

pbmax
02-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Let's not forget, Flynn WANTS a chance to play. He wants to start and he knows he doesn't have a future in GB as a starter. Flynn won't hold up any negotiations for a one year pay day. He is looking long term.

Of course, but how much money would he give up to go to a better team with a better QB coach? Or a team with an offensive scheme he knows? Just because he wants to start and get a long term deal doesn't mean he won't have any other priorities.

That's why this deal is tough, it takes three groups with distinct agendas to agree to do something in concert. And the first step, the franchise tag, is the hardest because of the space required. Much harder than tagging Williams.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Why trade him for a 3rd or 4th, when there's a good chance they'll get a 3rd as a compensatory pick anyways? Probably not worth the risk of trying to get something higher.

Lurker64
02-28-2012, 01:09 AM
There's just too many unknowns here to have a good sense on what Ted will or won't do. I'm happy to just wait for March 5th to find out, and if we let Flynn walk and collect a compensatory, that's fine by me.

Pugger
02-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Why trade him for a 3rd or 4th, when there's a good chance they'll get a 3rd as a compensatory pick anyways? Probably not worth the risk of trying to get something higher.

I suspect if we can't get another GM to offer us anything higher than a 3rd we'll let Flynn walk. There are Packer fans on other forums who seem certain that Flynn will be in high demand that we can get a 1st for him! :shock:

smuggler
02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Maybe a swap of firsts ( moving up a few picks ) and a late rounder. Not a 1st by itself.

If he were an RFA, we would probably get two second rounders for him.

Lurker64
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Maybe a swap of firsts ( moving up a few picks ) and a late rounder. Not a 1st by itself.

If he were an RFA, we would probably get two second rounders for him.

If the Packers were to give up Flynn, 28, and 60 for 8 and 72 that would mean put Flynn's value around 670, which is a late first round pick.

Smidgeon
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
If the Packers were to give up Flynn, 28, and 60 for 8 and 72 that would mean put Flynn's value around 670, which is a late first round pick.

Does the value board still have relevance considering the CBA's restructuring of rookie contracts in the first?

Lurker64
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Does the value board still have relevance considering the CBA's restructuring of rookie contracts in the first?

I think the CBA's restructuring of rookie contracts actually puts the actual value of draft picks closer to the way they were when the Cowboys (I think?) made the chart and distributed it to the NFL. In recent years they've been awfully accurate in the later rounds and towards the bottom of the first, but were way out of whack near the top of the draft (where the chart consistently overvalued high picks.) With the rookie wage scale, high picks are more valuable than they were, so the chart is actually better than it was 3-4 years ago.

Cleft Crusty
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Remember the exiciting Hasselbeck trade? Seattle gave up the 10th and 72nd choices in the 2001 draft to Green Bay for the 17th choice and Hass. According to the value chart at the time, The 10th and 72nd choices are worth 1,530 points and the 17th pick was worth 950 points. So the 580 points was Hasselbeck's value - or first pick in the second round value. Question for the Forum is whether Flynn has more value than Hasselbeck. I think it's a wash. Hass played well in preseason, but didn't see any real time action. Flynn has two real time games, and a sub under his belt.

But what a disaster that Hasselbeck trade was for Green Bay: Green bay Picked Reynolds and Torrance Marshall with those Picks; Seattle pick Hutchinson with the 17th pick. Clefty seems to recall that the only person who benefitted from those picks was Torrance Marsahall's [sic] girlfriend, and only for a short time on some obscure Packer fan website. Though, Hasselbeck ultimately paid the Packers back with several terrible games at Lambeau, including two playoff games - "We want the ball, and we're gonna score" - That's classic NFL theater. Perhaps Flynn could do the same.

Smidgeon
02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I think the CBA's restructuring of rookie contracts actually puts the actual value of draft picks closer to the way they were when the Cowboys (I think?) made the chart and distributed it to the NFL. In recent years they've been awfully accurate in the later rounds and towards the bottom of the first, but were way out of whack near the top of the draft (where the chart consistently overvalued high picks.) With the rookie wage scale, high picks are more valuable than they were, so the chart is actually better than it was 3-4 years ago.

I bet someone smart enough could design a chart of fluctuating draft values based on actual trades. I'm not smart enough to do that, I don't think, but it'd be fascinating to see.

cheesner
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I bet someone smart enough could design a chart of fluctuating draft values based on actual trades. I'm not smart enough to do that, I don't think, but it'd be fascinating to see.
A trade value chart, if used, would have to be updated every year to match the actual talent level of the draft. For instance, if there were 12 blue chippers instead of the usual 6, you would have to weight the first 12 higher than normal.

I think this is a poor draft, talent wise. I would think the value chart will look odd with trades into the top 40 or so. Because after that, there is a drop off.

swede
02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Remember the exiciting Hasselbeck trade? Seattle gave up the 10th and 72nd choices in the 2001 draft to Green Bay for the 17th choice and Hass. According to the value chart at the time, The 10th and 72nd choices are worth 1,530 points and the 17th pick was worth 950 points. So the 580 points was Hasselbeck's value - or first pick in the second round value. Question for the Forum is whether Flynn has more value than Hasselbeck. I think it's a wash. Hass played well in preseason, but didn't see any real time action. Flynn has two real time games, and a sub under his belt.

But what a disaster that Hasselbeck trade was for Green Bay: Green bay Picked Reynolds and Torrance Marshall with those Picks; Seattle pick Hutchinson with the 17th pick. Clefty seems to recall that the only person who benefitted from those picks was Torrance Marsahall's [sic] girlfriend, and only for a short time on some obscure Packer fan website. Though, Hasselbeck ultimately paid the Packers back with several terrible games at Lambeau, including two playoff games - "We want the ball, and we're gonna score" - That's classic NFL theater. Perhaps Flynn could do the same.

This is such a good post that I have to wonder if you didn't defibrillate yourself after lunch.

Clear!

Cleft Crusty
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
This is such a good post that I have to wonder if you didn't defibrillate yourself after lunch.

Clear!

Sometimes my wife turns up the knob on the pacemaker. I'm guessing she wants to motivate me for something other than longer, better researched Packerrats posts. But if you're thinking something of a more, say, intimate nature, let me disabuse you of that notion. It's for folding laundry - and there's nothing 'intimate' in 'folding' some old saggy bras, I can tell you that right now.

Deputy Nutz
02-29-2012, 07:39 AM
McCarthy made comments at the combine that the Packers woudl not use the franchise tag on Flynn so that they could trade him, it was not what the franchise tag was intended for. I posted it in another thread.

smuggler
02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Higher picks are valued more now. Therefore, even if we wanted to, we would not be able to reasonably trade up to 8 using Flynn, who is worth about a much as Hass was about 10 years ago.

Fritz
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

But what a disaster that Hasselbeck trade was for Green Bay: Green bay Picked Reynolds and Torrance Marshall with those Picks; Seattle pick Hutchinson with the 17th pick. Clefty seems to recall that the only person who benefitted from those picks was Torrance Marsahall's sick girlfriend, and only for a short time on some obscure Packer fan website. Though, Hasselbeck ultimately paid the Packers back with several terrible games at Lambeau, including two playoff games - "We want the ball, and we're gonna score" - That's classic NFL theater. Perhaps Flynn could do the same.

I remember that girlfriend, so I fixed that sentence for ya.

Joemailman
03-05-2012, 05:10 PM
It's official. No franchise tag used by the Packers. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-complete-list-of-2012-franchise-tags.html

Free agency starts on March 13.

red
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
man, no tag for mario. sure it would have been a huge sum, but damn, the guys a beast.

i might be pretty pissed if i'm a texans fan and my team just let our best player walk for nothing

SkinBasket
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
It's official. No franchise tag used by the Packers. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-complete-list-of-2012-franchise-tags.html

Free agency starts on March 13.

Told you so.