PDA

View Full Version : Random Packer Draft Musing of the Day

The Shadow
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Ok, like many of you, I've pored over the 3 draft guides I've purchased, read various posts, and studied many mock drafts.
I think - today - I would be quite happy to see Ted trade the #28 down into the early 2nd round IF he was able to slide UP that low 2nd round pick in return.
I think drafting Vinny Curry & Bruce Irvin with the 2 picks might be intriguing. I would groom Curry as a DE; perhaps his first year as a 3rd down pass rush guy (he's a bit light right now for fulltime duty). If Capers feels that Irvin could be viable as an OLB opposite Clay, we'd have 2 terrors off the edge.
This opinion subject to change within the next 20 minutes.

sheepshead
03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Any GM that is able to trade out of the first round, should.

ND72
03-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Ok, like many of you, I've pored over the 3 draft guides I've purchased, read various posts, and studied many mock drafts.
I think - today - I would be quite happy to see Ted trade the #28 down into the early 2nd round IF he was able to slide UP that low 2nd round pick in return.
I think drafting Vinny Curry & Bruce Irvin with the 2 picks might be intriguing. I would groom Curry as a DE; perhaps his first year as a 3rd down pass rush guy (he's a bit light right now for fulltime duty). If Capers feels that Irvin could be viable as an OLB opposite Clay, we'd have 2 terrors off the edge.

I like that, I'm on board with it! Curry and Irvin I think are gonna be good players.

sharpe1027
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I love the idea of trading for an early second and move up of the other second. It is not like we have a top 10 pick.

gbgary
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
in today's pass-heavy nfl, speedy pass-rushing defensive players are going to be picked over quickly. if we don't get one when we can we'll miss out. we don't want a repeat of last year defensively. tt should try to move up if he can...but that's just me.

mraynrand
03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Any GM that is able to trade out of the first round, should.

maybe you should stop musing

sharpe1027
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
in today's pass-heavy nfl, speedy pass-rushing defensive players are going to be picked over quickly. if we don't get one when we can we'll miss out. we don't want a repeat of last year defensively. tt should try to move up if he can...but that's just me.

You have a valid point:

Jared Allen -- 22 Sacks -- Rd. 4
DeMarcus Ware -- 19.5 Sacks -- Rd. 1
Jason Babin -- 18.0 Sacks -- Rd. 1
Jason Pierre-Paul -- 16.5 Sacks -- Rd. 1
Aldon Smith -- 14 Sacks -- Rd. 1
Terrell Suggs -- 14 Sacks -- Rd. 1

That being said, there's no magical difference between the first and second round and the Packer's pick is basically already a second rounder. Trading up to a meaningfully high spot would be expensive.

Lurker64
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
From what I can tell the talent pool is fairly flat from 15-35. I wouldn't be in favor of moving up, or moving down without knowing specific circumstances. I mean, if a player you have a top 10 grade on is still available at 22, say, you trade up, but and if 10 players you have a second tier grade on are available at 28, then you can trade back to 37 no problem.

But ahead of time? I just don't like the idea.

I'm also not sure that grooming Curry as a DE is a weird idea. He's definitely more OLB sized than DE sized.

Guiness
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Draft day trades should be interesting to watch. With the rookie salary structure having been realigned, I think first round picks will go up in value, especially mid to late round picks. The financial commitment you have to make to the respective players has gotten closer together, so it doesn't cost as much, financially, to move up and get a player you have rated a little higher.

Andrian Clayborn go 4yrs, $8.2m as the 20th pick of the first round, Da'Quan Bowers got 4yrs, $3.85m as the 20th pick of the second round.

In 2010, the 20th of the first round got 5yr, $13.1m, 20th of the second got 4yr, $3.8m.

In the past, a GM might have to consider how much more of the cap a guy is going to chew up, less so now.

sharpe1027
03-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Great point Guiness. Everyone's draft position valuations have to be completely overhauled. If first round picks are of higher value, does that encourage more trades or does it encourage more teams to hold onto their high picks?

red
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
i still have no clue where certain guys are going in round one. nick perry was a last first round pick a month ago. then he started shooting up right before the combine to like a top 10 pick. now it seems like he's starting to settle back a bit. i would love him

there is actually 4 or 5 olb's that i would love to get, also a handfull of 3-4 de's that i would like to get. like crick

there's a pretty good chance we can get 2 guys from that list with our first two picks and greatly improve our d

with that said, i fully expect TT to take a wr and either a TE or QB with our first 2 picks just because that would be the farthest thing from my mind with those picks

Joemailman
03-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Been hearing a lot of talk lately about Kendall Reyes (DT Connecticut) as a possible Packer pick. Anyone have any particular thoughts on him? Gil Brandy has him rated 33 overall.

Guiness
03-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Micheal Brockers didn't do himself any favours at the combine, and could be around when we pick? Don't know where he plays though, 6'5" 300lbs, doesn't seem like a 3-4 DE to me.

Brandon494
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Micheal Brockers didn't do himself any favours at the combine, and could be around when we pick? Don't know where he plays though, 6'5" 300lbs, doesn't seem like a 3-4 DE to me.

If Brockers somehow dropped to us it would be a steal, he definitely has the skills to play DE in the 3-4. I'm seeing a lot of boards having us take Nick Perry out of USC though.

Overview

Nick Perry was a top defensive end recruit out of Detroit that Pete Carroll was able to cherry-pick to USC, and his impact playing the "elephant" position within Caroll's defense as a freshman will encourage many teams to consider drafting him as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. As a sophomore and junior he continued to develop into an elite pass rushing prospect, and has the size and athletic ability to be successful working against NFL tackles at the next level. He is a physically put together athlete with a good motor and extremely uncommon balance, and has late first round value.

Analysis

Strengths

Perry has a very strong base and balance that helps him work against tackles and keep momentum towards the backfield regardless of his initial move. He is reminiscent of current Pittsburgh OLB's Harrison and Woodley, players who can set the edge with a strong, powerful base and are capable of winning using a direct bull rush. Perry plays with good leverage in all that he does and has surprising athleticism for his size. He has a good burst off the ball and a natural feel for disrupting plays. He chases laterally down the line well and is a sound tackler when he reaches the ball. He can beat tackles with power or quick gap penetration, and has developed his hands and spin moves over time. He has fluid hips and feet in the open field and looks capable of playing from a two point stance in an outside position. He will be reliable even as a rookie to set the edge and defend the run with strength.

Weaknesses

Perry can get tied up on double teams often and have trouble when working against lineman in a tight area. This would bode well for a move to outside backer, where he can rush with more space and better set up his pass rush moves. He is projected by many to move to OLB in the NFL, and it remains to be seen if Perry can cover and move well in space to the flats, as he wasn't asked to do it often at USC. Perry is a thick player but still a bit of a positional tweener, and doesn't quite have the strength of most defenders his size. He could have trouble against the bigger, stronger offensive tackles in the NFL who can neutralize his leverage and power.

sharpe1027
03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
He is projected by many to move to OLB in the NFL, and it remains to be seen if Perry can cover and move well in space to the flats, as he wasn't asked to do it often at USC.

Thanks Brandon. I am intrigued. If, however, he struggles with coverage, does that mean Matthews rushes less and covers more? I'd be OK with that if for no other reason than it makes the defense less predictable.

smuggler
03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Elephant is the position opposite Matthews in our system, so perry would be a good pick, but he probably won't be there.

woodbuck27
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Nick Perry...mmmm. Nice. In my analysis Nick Perry may realistically be available to Ted Thompson at or before his 28th pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Perry_(American_football)

** In 2011, Perry led the Pac-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12) with 9.5 sacks and garnered First-team All-Pac-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific-12_Conference) honors. He is viewed as one of the best pass rushers in the 2012 Draft, and a likely first-round selection.

Pre-draft measureablesHtWt40-yd dash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash)10-yd split20-yd split20-ss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-yard_shuttle)3-cone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_cone_drill)Vert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_jump)Broad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_long_jump)BP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_press#NFL_Combine)Wonderlic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test)6 ft 3 in271 lb4.64 sX sX s4.66 s7.25 s381⁄2 in10 ft 4 in35 repX

USC DE #8 Nick Perry Highlights 2010 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nvhUMxoTfs

We need a solid player to improve on OUR poor pass rush. If TT see's Nick Perry move down the board to him it certainly would be a wise move to consider trading up for this player. It doesn't make much sense to wonder today where Nick Perry will be drafted. Any decisions to trade up or down will be based on TT's board and who will be available close to his 28th pick.

GO TT GO !

red
03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
in my eyes, from what i've seen and read, perry could very well be the best 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft

he's the one that makes me the moistest anyways

smuggler
03-09-2012, 09:16 PM
lol whoa

The Shadow
03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Ummm... still not sure about what folks feel about a Curry & Irvin 1st/2nd roubd.

Joemailman
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Ummm... still not sure about what folks feel about a Curry & Irvin 1st/2nd roubd.

In my opinion, Curry is a early/middle 2nd round pick and Irvin is a middle/late 2nd round pick. This is where Bretsky's suggestion of trading down and up to end up with 2 2nd round picks would make sense. I'd be okay with it.

The Shadow
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
If not Curry & Irvins, how would you feel about Currier & Ives?

red
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM

they both would play the same position in our system. so taking those 2 in the first two rounds is kind of dumb IMO

Bretsky
03-10-2012, 09:51 PM

FIVE CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP POST

MJZiggy
03-11-2012, 10:21 AM
FIVE CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP POST

I think it may be time to change your sig, B.

Joemailman
03-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I think it may be time to change your sig, B.

He's waiting for the Turtle to sign a FA.

Bretsky
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM

2014 will be here before we know it

The Shadow
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
they both would play the same position in our system. so taking those 2 in the first two rounds is kind of dumb IMO

Defensive End & OLB are two different positions.

Joemailman
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Both Curry and Irvin are being projected as 3-4 OLB's, regardless of what position they played in college.

woodbuck27
03-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Then we need a player at each position. Ohh wait ! We operate a 3-4 defense. We only need an OLB.

The Shadow
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I would groom Curry as a DE; perhaps his first year as a 3rd down pass rush guy (he's a bit light right now for fulltime duty)

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:30 AM

If 'B' is anything like me I'd be excited just to learn that TT is even talking to some FA.

Ohh yes! What am I thinking. TT will wait till all the high cost talent has gone to other teams. TT believes in the Green Bay packers developmentle process.

Overall that TRUMPS talent and cost.

MJZiggy
03-15-2012, 06:22 PM
If 'B' is anything like me I'd be excited just to learn that TT is even talking to some FA.

Ohh yes! What am I thinking. TT will wait till all the high cost talent has gone to other teams. TT believes in the Green Bay packers developmentle process.

Overall that TRUMPS talent and cost.

Considering the results he's been getting, I'd have to agree.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Considering the results he's been getting, I'd have to agree.

MJ being a GM in Pro Sports demands clear insight and proper reaction based on dynamic actions by allies, shadow allies and clear opponents.

MJZiggy
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
MJ being a GM in Pro Sports demands clear insight and proper reaction based on dynamic actions by allies, shadow allies and clear opponents.

Actually, it demands understanding your team and its strengths and weaknesses and the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit.

There is no such thing as a shadow ally on a football team. You build the best that you can with the available resources. If he doesn't feel that the available free agents are the best for his team, then he creates a strong, deep team from other sources. You know better than to think that TT can't win a SB without a high-priced FA.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Actually, it demands understanding your team and its strengths and weaknesses and the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit.

There is no such thing as a shadow ally on a football team. You build the best that you can with the available resources. If he doesn't feel that the available free agents are the best for his team, then he creates a strong, deep team from other sources. You know better than to think that TT can't win a SB without a high-priced FA.

Ahhhh MJ what are you going on about?

Actually, it demands understanding your team and its strengths and weaknesses and the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit. MJZiggy

Where did that quote come from?

There is no such thing as a shadow ally on a football team ... MJZiggy

What's a shadow ally MJ? Do you have 'the Book of All Jargon' in your library?

the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit. MJZiggy

MJ please pass that one on to Ted Thompson. Just to ensure he has that installed in his book of great quotes. Thanks. (-:

MJZiggy
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Ahhhh MJ what are you going on about?

Actually, it demands understanding your team and its strengths and weaknesses and the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit. MJZiggy

Where did that quote come from?

There is no such thing as a shadow ally on a football team ... MJZiggy

What's a shadow ally MJ? Do you have 'the Book of All Jargon' in your library?

the proper moves to make that you feel will best minimize the weaknesses and emphasize the strengths while creating a cohesive and focused unit. MJZiggy

MJ please pass that one on to Ted Thompson. Just to ensure he has that installed in his book of great quotes. Thanks. (-:

1. It's not a quote. I wrote it. 2. Shadow ally is your term. You tell me what it's supposed to mean 3. Ted Thompson does that beautifully. He doesn't need me to send it to him. He's the one with a Super Bowl win on his resume. He doesn't need advice from internet wannabes like us.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
1. It's not a quote. I wrote it. 2. Shadow ally is your term. You tell me what it's supposed to mean 3. Ted Thompson does that beautifully. He doesn't need me to send it to him. He's the one with a Super Bowl win on his resume. He doesn't need advice from internet wannabes like us.

Are you an internet wannabe? Why? So hard on yourself?

A 'shadow ally' is an ally that's not obvious or behind the scene; unless uncovered by anyone interested and investigating any correspondance between the parties directly involved in any transaction.

OK MJZiggy ?

The Shadow
03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
A 'shadow ally' is when I am your friend.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Excellent submission.

MJZiggy
03-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Sweet.

gbgary
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/181/132/90368476.jpg.3568_display_image.jpg?1269365438

Packers at his pro day today.

Pugger
03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Then we need a player at each position. Ohh wait ! We operate a 3-4 defense. We only need an OLB.

But we also need 3 decent D linemen (right now we only have 2 worth a damn). ;-) I agree, OLB should be priority #1 tho.

Pugger
03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/181/132/90368476.jpg.3568_display_image.jpg?1269365438

Packers at his pro day today.

Isn't this Ryan Lindley? :?:

gbgary
03-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Isn't this Ryan Lindley? :?:

yup. sorry...can't believe i forgot to identify him.