PDA

View Full Version : FA / trade possibilities?

digitaldean
03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
With all the Colts being FAs or have already been released (Clark, Addai, Brackett, Bullitt) or with Freeney on the trading block, do you think the Packers could jump in and snag someone??

woodbuck27
03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
With all the Colts being FAs or have already been released (Clark, Addai, Brackett, Bullitt) or with Freeney on the trading block, do you think the Packers could jump in and snag someone??

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11079798

LINK RE: Released Indy Colts players.... Now available as FA's. All these fellas are either aging and/or oft injured. The one TT might consider is RB Joseph Addai.

wist43
03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Kamerion Wimbley might be coming on the market... not sure what he would command, think he's still a pretty solid player with good pass rush - Lord knows we need that.

Brando19
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Dwight Freeney is due to make $14 million this year and is not willing to restructure his contract...no way do we trade for him.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
None of these guys make much sense for the Packers. Addai is washed up. Freeney wouldn't want to switch schemes at this point in his career. We have Finley. Brackett used to be pretty good, but he's getting old. And he plays ILB--where we have four decent players. Unless something has changed in recent years, I think Bullitt is a JAG.

Bretsky
03-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Kamerion Wimbley might be coming on the market... not sure what he would command, think he's still a pretty solid player with good pass rush - Lord knows we need that.

I think Reggie McKenzie would love to garner us some draft picks but Wimbley will be expensive.
He'd bring our D up a level and would be great opposite the Claymaker
I'd love to see TT make a call to Reggie and offer up a 4th round pick.
Oakland can't afford him and I doubt they ask much given the circumstances

wist43
03-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I think Reggie McKenzie would love to garner us some draft picks but Wimbley will be expensive.
He'd bring our D up a level and would be great opposite the Claymaker
I'd love to see TT make a call to Reggie and offer up a 4th round pick.
Oakland can't afford him and I doubt they ask much given the circumstances

Word is he's going to be cut... he won't restructure, and they can't afford the contract.

From Wimbley's standpoint he comes out ahead by being cut... he still gets what the Raiders are on the hook for, plus whatever he signs for. I know he would cost some $$, but that front seven is worse than pathetic. Throw some cash at 1 spot in FA (DE, DT, or OLB), and address the others early in the draft. If TT were to take that approach, he still won't have fixed the mess, b/c the mess is so considerable, but at least he will have for certain improved the unit.

Lurker64
03-11-2012, 01:09 AM
The Packers FA priorities right now are Wells and Bush, if Wells leaves they'll pick up a FA center (hopefully Myers). I don't think there'll be anybody else in the first wave of free agency that the Packers go after.

They might go bargain shopping later, though.

wist43
03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
The Packers FA priorities right now are Wells and Bush, if Wells leaves they'll pick up a FA center (hopefully Myers). I don't think there'll be anybody else in the first wave of free agency that the Packers go after.

They might go bargain shopping later, though.

In 7 years TT has signed 2 FA's (Woodson and Pickett)... everything else has been bottom feeding.

I think we all expect more of the same... no actual FA help is on the way. 346 draft picks and street FA's are on the way.

pbmax
03-11-2012, 10:42 AM
There is one thing working in the Packer's favor. The salary cap isn't going up much, if at all. Current word is that if they had left the benefits alone, it would have gone down. So a lot of bodies will be available and that will force some prices down.

However, as Lurker suggests, the Packers aren't done spending on their own yet, so there may not be much room for them to maneuver either.

wist43
03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
There is one thing working in the Packer's favor. The salary cap isn't going up much, if at all. Current word is that if they had left the benefits alone, it would have gone down. So a lot of bodies will be available and that will force some prices down.

However, as Lurker suggests, the Packers aren't done spending on their own yet, so there may not be much room for them to maneuver either.

Who else are they looking to lock up?? Finley is done... Grant is gone, Clifton is gone, Wells is gone. I haven't paid that close attention... who's left to throw money at??

That said, the front seven is bad enough that I think choices need to be made about where the money's going - if money or high draft choices aren't allotted to the front seven, then we're spinnin' our wheels. We were clearly exposed at the end of last year.

I think New Orleans and New York are clearly more complete teams; I'd say SF is a better team as well, but I'm not a believer in Smith. What puts us in the discussion is Rodgers; who has been for a long stretch now, the huge equalizer. He's been that good. Team wise?? We're very much flawed, and overmatched by those other teams.

smuggler
03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Our team was 15-1. If we could generate even an average level of pressure, we would be head and shoulders the best team in the league.

Joemailman
03-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Who else are they looking to lock up?? Finley is done... Grant is gone, Clifton is gone, Wells is gone. I haven't paid that close attention... who's left to throw money at??

That said, the front seven is bad enough that I think choices need to be made about where the money's going - if money or high draft choices aren't allotted to the front seven, then we're spinnin' our wheels. We were clearly exposed at the end of last year.

I think New Orleans and New York are clearly more complete teams; I'd say SF is a better team as well, but I'm not a believer in Smith. What puts us in the discussion is Rodgers; who has been for a long stretch now, the huge equalizer. He's been that good. Team wise?? We're very much flawed, and overmatched by those other teams.

The argument you make about Rodgers being the main reason the Packers are up there can also be made about the Saints and Brees. And they're probably losing Pro Bowl caliber players at G and WR. Not to mention high draft picks. You may be right about the Giants, but they seem to have trouble stringing together consecutive outstanding seasons.

Brando19
03-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Probably want to lock up players that will be free agents next year such as Clay and Jennings.

Lurker64
03-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Rodgers, Jennings, Raji, and Matthews all have contracts that need to be extended fairly soon, as you don't want any of those guys hitting free agency. There's going to be a lot of money going the way of those four, so outbidding other teams for NFL castoffs is probably not the best use of TT's money.

pbmax
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Levi Brown expected to be released by the Cards.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Our team was 15-1. If we could generate even an average level of pressure, we would be head and shoulders the best team in the league.

We were 15-1 last season. What's your point there? Don't you recall what the GIANTS did to us? That game fully exposed what any Packer fan should have realized was going to happen with the worst defense in the NFL. Isn't it time as Packer fans that we get the blinders off?

OUR OL is in lousy shape with no heir apparent to LT Chad Clifton on the radar.

Running the 3-4 defense and with opponents neutralizing Clay Matthews. It's obvious that we are in deep trouble at linebacker.We need a difference maker there. That is a high priority to improving our pathetic pass rush.

OUR secondary sucks. Charles Woodson is about done. Where is our depth then at cornerback?

With the serious Nick Collins issue we are in trouble at Safety.

Damn ! Our defensive players are slow and can't cover to even hope to make a tackle. Ted Thompson has to look seriously at player talent when he brings in a player to shore up a desperately poor defense. That means cost and that means he has to release players like Chad Clifton and Ryan Grant and sadly Donald Driver. He can't be sitting around mulling over what to do or procrastinating. he has to get busy and recover CAP money now. He should be seriously studying all availoablr FA 'talent'. TALENT. When he signed Charles Woodson what was he but a very talented CB? We need talented players on our defense not marginally talented FA's that few teams would contract.

On the offensive side of the ball. Ted Thompson has an issue with Scot Wells. A center that is the best player on our OL. Does he wait till Wells signs with another team and then bring in another center that has to learn the offense? This isn't a difficult question to respond to for most people who believe in Scott Wells contributions to our team but it might be for Ted Thompson.

Yes we were 15-1 in the regular 2011 season. That's history. By now every contending team knows what it takes to defeat us. The smartest HC's have studied the video of the GIANTS domination over us in we are 'only' as good as we were in that last game.

Let's look at that 15-1 record. How did that happen? I will give you one name. Aaron Rodgers. With the immenent departure of our backup QB Matt Flynn we are 'only' one 'bell ringing QB hit' away from being mediocre at best. So how comfortable are you really at QB as our OL is?

Our running game? Ohh great. MM says that will be addressed in this off season. Just how will that be done? Does TT go with the status quo at RB? Is that the best solution? What do those questions suggest to you fans?

In the immediate future or right now. TT has to sign Scott Wells to a mutually acceptable contract or write Wells off and aquire the best center available again at acceptable to TT money. Maybe? Just sign Scott Wells?

We run a 3-4 defense. We do not need Mario Williams or any marginally as effective defensive line pass rusher. TT has to be concerned for Aaron Rodgers if Mario Williams goes to da BEARS. TT needs OL talent that can hold off a Mario Williams.

Ted Thompson needs to shore up our most valuable assets before they become eligible FA's. When does he let Pickett go? When does he let Clifton and Grant and Driver go? When does he let players go that ran on adreneline for awhile and gave us a push to the 2010 season Super Bowl Championship and generally speaking lack talent? TT needs to be honest about assessing and acting on his report cards of such present Green Bay Packer roster players. He has to think like Bill Bilichick every day upgrade his teams roster as best he can.

It has to be tough to be Ted Thompson but he's paid to get the best results in football games. That game Vs the GIANTS certainly proves he has his hands full to geting that done right.

GO Ted Thompson GO !

pbmax
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
If 15-1 is history, isn't the Giants game as well? You can't accept one and ignore the other.

Smidgeon
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
If 15-1 is history, isn't the Giants game as well? You can't accept one and ignore the other.

:D

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM

I'm certainly not ignoring anything that involves the Packers and the Giants in the same sentence.

The GIANTS are Super Bowl Champions. In the process of garnering that championship. They knocked our team on their collective ass's. They did that at Lambeau Field. All that is tough to forget.

pbmax
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm certainly not ignoring anything that involves the Packers and the Giants in the same sentence.

The GIANTS are Super Bowl Champions. In the process of garnering that championship. They knocked our team on their collective ass's. They did that at Lambeau Field. All that is tough to forget.

But the Giants loss exposed only 2 flaws the team was unaware of while going 15-1. Turnovers which are rare for this team (and two of them were flat out stunning) and would seem unlikely to be repeated. And two, the disconnect between Rodgers and his WRs.

Several of the flaws revealed in that game and in the season are not likely to be repeated, including 2 offensive tackles missing most of the season, Jennings rust and (hopefully) Finley's case of playing like he was wearing goalie gloves.

The flaws most likely to be repeated if not corrected are on the defensive side of the ball. And that is something the 15-1 season and the Giants game are in agreement on.

pbmax
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Marcus McNeil in the process of being let go by the Chargers. But Tackles are like pickup trucks, they don't get that less expensive over time.

If you should want a veteran but not supremely expensive CB, Carlos Rogers is available and being chased by the Rams. PFT thinks the implication there is that Finnegan is going to be pricey.

pbmax
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
In a rare Center signing this year, Nick Hardwick gets a new deal from the Chargers. If you would like a Matt O'Dwyer flashback, Jeff Faine should be available after the Bucs release him so they can move Jeremy Zuttah to center.

pbmax
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Jared Gaither will be available if you like large, unmotivated types.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
But the Giants loss exposed only 2 flaws the team was unaware of while going 15-1. Turnovers which are rare for this team (and two of them were flat out stunning) and would seem unlikely to be repeated. And two, the disconnect between Rodgers and his WRs.

Several of the flaws revealed in that game and in the season are not likely to be repeated, including 2 offensive tackles missing most of the season, Jennings rust and (hopefully) Finley's case of playing like he was wearing goalie gloves.

The flaws most likely to be repeated if not corrected are on the defensive side of the ball. And that is something the 15-1 season and the Giants game are in agreement on.

My compliments on your rebuttal pbmax.

Our team is just sick on 'D' with no real signs of improving as the roster is at present. Any Packer fan has to know that with our 'D' we are not in the shape we have to be to be solid Super Bowl contenders. To go on imagining that Aaron Rodgers is OUR Packer GOD is not realistic thinking IMO. When as fans have we seen a Packer defense so bad?

As it is there is far too much heat on Aaron Rodgers to be 'the MAN' and overcome the obvious deficiencies in that 'D'. We need to see a competitive balance on both sides of the ball.