PDA

View Full Version : Rounds 1-3. How many Defensive Players does TT Pick ?

Bretsky
03-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Comments

gbgary
03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
first and second on d, third on o-line...maybe. maybe all three. that's it...all three.

Upnorth
03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
First round on d, second on bpa and third on bpa. I hope that means three on d.

King Friday
03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
TT = BPA who is not a WR/QB

Can't see 3 defensive guys being the best on the board every time in the first three rounds.

Lurker64
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I think he takes an OLB, a DE, and either an OT or a WR in the first three rounds (we don't need a WR, but scouting day 2 WRs is the thing Ted does best.) For all we know, Ted takes a WR in round 3 and he ends up being better than Jennings or Nelson and he breaks DD's Packers receiving record.

Brandon494
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I think he takes an OLB, a DE, and either an OT or a WR in the first three rounds (we don't need a WR, but scouting day 2 WRs is the thing Ted does best.) For all we know, Ted takes a WR in round 3 and he ends up being better than Jennings or Nelson and he breaks DD's Packers receiving record.

I think he'll pick CB before he would go after a WR.

Lurker64
03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I think he'll pick CB before he would go after a WR.

This is like the worst class in history for "CBs that fit what TT looks for". I think the only way he takes a DB in the first round is if Stephon Gilmore falls to them in the second round (or TT has a first round grade on him), or Trumaine Johnson ran much better at his pro day than he did at the combine, and he can be had in the 2nd round.

TT wants at least 5'11" and 4.50 from his CBs, there aren't a lot of guys that fit that requirement this year.

smuggler
03-12-2012, 01:46 AM
I think, if need is so keen, we might see a move in the first few rounds rather than reaching. TT will only stray from BPA when the player that's in a need position is almost as high on the board as the BPA.

packrulz
03-12-2012, 05:56 AM
1. DT/DE
2. OLB
3. RB

Brandon494
03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
This is like the worst class in history for "CBs that fit what TT looks for". I think the only way he takes a DB in the first round is if Stephon Gilmore falls to them in the second round (or TT has a first round grade on him), or Trumaine Johnson ran much better at his pro day than he did at the combine, and he can be had in the 2nd round.

TT wants at least 5'11" and 4.50 from his CBs, there aren't a lot of guys that fit that requirement this year.

Thats true but I can almost guarantee we will not select a WR in the draft this year.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:34 AM

At the cost of retaining WR talent and given Aaron Rodgers status as arguably the best QB in the NFL. There's no way that TT will pass on a WR at BPA.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Thats true but I can almost guarantee we will not select a WR in the draft this year.

You certainly are allowed to change that prediction. (-:

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
RE: the question posed by this thread:

Has anyone here at Packerrats ever really get zoned in to what's in Ted Thompson's psyche/head? If that member exists PLEASE inform the rest of us. (-:

wist43
03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Starting to look a little more at the draft... few guys on my radar are,

OLB - Bruce Irvin, Ronnell Lewis, Josh Kaddu
DL - Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes, Alameda Ta'amu, Billy Winn

Lot of good DL that would work well in a rotation... which is probably why TT will wait until the 8th rd.

woodbuck27
03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Starting to look a little more at the draft... few guys on my radar are,

OLB - Bruce Irvin, Ronnell Lewis, Josh Kaddu
DL - Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes, Alameda Ta'amu, Billy Winn

Lot of good DL that would work well in a rotation... which is probably why TT will wait until the 8th rd.

Lurker64 may be responding to this.

I'm currently looking at our first three picks now. I do hope that TT goes 'D' for all three but studying TT we know he likes to go BPA.

We need defensive talent. Not defensive players but TALENTED prospects to coach and take our 'D' in an 'only place but up' direction.

Was Nick Collins so valuable tom our 'D'? When he went down it was like 'a house of cards' and our 'D' fell apart. Did that loss begin 'a Domino effect'?

IMO...Unless a defensive prospect is right theer or close to BPA... TT will go BPA. The most logical Poll vote then is two of three round picks will be used on defense. I'll vote the second option.

TT will NOT pick 'D' in all three rounds.

jmbarnes101
03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
TT will draft a QB at some point as well. With Flynn gone we need someone who can be developed as the future backup and I'm not sold on Graham. I could see him do almost anything in this draft short of QB in the first round though round 2 or 3 wouldn't surprise me.

sharpe1027
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
If there is a pattern to TT's picks it is this:

Whatever makes sense to us as fans, he will not do. We will either scratch our heads in confusion or scream and yell at the top of our lungs about how stupid he is (a few may blindly trust in TT, but still have their internal doubts). Later, we will either 1) admit how surprised we are that it worked out better than expected, 2) pretend we were on on board all along or 3) conveniently forget how much we screamed and yelled.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
If there is a pattern to TT's picks it is this:

Whatever makes sense to us as fans, he will not do. We will either scratch our heads in confusion or scream and yell at the top of our lungs about how stupid he is (a few may blindly trust in TT, but still have their internal doubts). Later, we will either 1) admit how surprised we are that it worked out better than expected, 2) pretend we were on on board all along or 3) conveniently forget how much we screamed and yelled.

Well, I agree on years where he trades back and takes a WR or unknown safety. The Rodgers draft was a surprise but once he fell into the 20s, everyone knew it was a chance. Favre was on potential retirement #5. Its was almost a must pick even of there were other definite needs. I believe one of the many scenarios floated before the draft was either Rodgers or Smith falling deep.

But Raji was a no brainer unless you believe in the board or BPA theory even more than Thompson (Crabtree). Matthews was a shock but for the trade, not the pick or position. Hawk was a known before the draft.

Shorter version: if he trades down, all bets are off. If he stays, its LT, DE, OLB or CB. I will buy someone a sandwich if its a center, safety or WR at 28.

Pugger
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
1. DT/DE
2. OLB
3. RB

I would hope he'd get a safety or a center before he grabs a RB unless the RB is the BPA in the 3rd.

sharpe1027
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, I agree on years where he trades back and takes a WR or unknown safety. The Rodgers draft was a surprise but once he fell into the 20s, everyone knew it was a chance. Favre was on potential retirement #5. Its was almost a must pick even of there were other definite needs. I believe one of the many scenarios floated before the draft was either Rodgers or Smith falling deep.

But Raji was a no brainer unless you believe in the board or BPA theory even more than Thompson (Crabtree). Matthews was a shock but for the trade, not the pick or position. Hawk was a known before the draft.

Shorter version: if he trades down, all bets are off. If he stays, its LT, DE, OLB or CB. I will buy someone a sandwich if its a center, safety or WR at 28.

You got me. I may have overstated the point for effect.

How did you come up with the list of "LT, DE, OLB or CB?" I don't know if he has ever drafted a true DE on the first day and his top pick has never been a DB. Not saying he won't do it this year, but why that particular list of positions?

mraynrand
03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I will buy someone a sandwich if its a center, safety or WR at 28.

What kind of sandwich? And what are my chances of being 'someone?' I just want to know, so I can plan ahead.

Patler
03-26-2012, 01:05 PM
TT will have only two picks in rounds 1-3, and both will be on defense; unless, of course, he thinks long term and takes one of the top centers, or a LT who falls unexpectedly; and he really does like those second round WRs. So, maybe none! :-D

LEWCWA
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

I would like to call this bet!! I can almost guarantee at some point a WR will come off the board at one of GB's picks. Whether or not they need to pick one is a different discussion, but they will draft one at some point.....

Smidgeon
03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I would like to call this bet!! I can almost guarantee at some point a WR will come off the board at one of GB's picks. Whether or not they need to pick one is a different discussion, but they will draft one at some point.....

You can never have enough WRs or DBs, especially with the current direction of NFL offenses. The Packers' base offense is basically a 3 WR, and their base defense if they have their pieces is a nickel. They're ahead of the curve on that one.

Cheesehead Craig
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM

I think it depends on what happens with Driver. If they let Driver go, then it's more likely they draft a WR.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 02:23 PM
You got me. I may have overstated the point for effect.

How did you come up with the list of "LT, DE, OLB or CB?" I don't know if he has ever drafted a true DE on the first day and his top pick has never been a DB. Not saying he won't do it this year, but why that particular list of positions?

I think DE has to be at the top of the draft board. Nutz convinced me of this late in the year. And not just a DE that might be able to rush inside on pass downs like Jenkins or Corey Williams, but a true 3-4 5 tech DE. Like Jolly or what Neal was supposed to be. I think such a player could be had at that pick if the focus isn't on pass rush. I think I am coming to believe that the loss of Jolly hurt worse than the loss of Jenkins, at least on 1st and 2nd down. Jenkins loss definitely hurt the pass rush. But there was more that ailed the defense than 3rd down.

Left Tackle depends on Sherrod's health. Clifton looks to be back so this isn't obvious, but despite 3 tackles capable of starting, the roster is thin. Bulaga has missed games in two seasons and Clifton will miss time. There is little behind them unless Sherrod is going to be healthy.

CB. Almost same as LT. Williams was hurt and played horrible even after his return. Shields regressed and Woodson isn't getting any younger. Bush is fourth and Devon House is fifth. Much depends on the staff's evaluations: of the possible Williams return to form, Shields' improvement, Woodson holding steady and House making a case for the active roster. If any of those options look unlikely, CB has to be in play. Thompson hasn't drafted one this high and might not, but his philosophy was built from Wolf who felt you had to have top line guys at 4 positions: QB, DE/OLB, LT, CB.

OLB speaks for itself. However, projecting pass rush ability has caused more errors in the draft than almost any other. And the Packers were a number one defense with a rotating cast of mediocre ROLBs in 2010. The timing of the D's collapse is part of what convinced me that Nutz's contention that DE was the root problem on the right side, at least on 1st and 2nd down.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
What kind of sandwich? And what are my chances of being 'someone?' I just want to know, so I can plan ahead.

I will go up to $15 and you can choose the sandwich. I will randomly select a winner from the list of people who call me out after Thompson selects either a WR, safety or center with the 28th pick.

Void where prohibited, local taxes, fees and charges, should they occur, will be the responsibility of the winner. Must be 18 to enter. One entry per household and those that have won a contest from pbmax in the last year are ineligible. Employees of Madtown Social Media and its affiliates are prohibited from entering. No purchase required. Must be a legal US citizen.

Zool
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Employees of Madtown Social Media and its affiliates are prohibited from entering.

Must be a legal US citizen.

These 2 are a bit confusing.

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
With 12 picks if there's a WR of value on the board, why not pick one? Jennings is FA soon and Finley and Nelson will be FAs not long after that. The receiver group (I'm including Finley) could go from a strength to a weakness in a hurry, and you draft with the future in mind.

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Could Anthony Hargrove be a bit of a cure at DE? I know he used to be a decent player, and I don't think he's that old.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM
With 12 picks if there's a WR of value on the board, why not pick one? Jennings is FA soon and Finley and Nelson will be FAs not long after that. The receiver group (I'm including Finley) could go from a strength to a weakness in a hurry, and you draft with the future in mind.

Its entirely possible, I am just betting that if he wants to go value route (say, if his Round 1 graded OLB, DE and DB are gone) that he will trade down and pick up the WR in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Hargrove seems to be a Cullen Jenkins type of DE/DT. Pass rusher first. He is exactly the size of a 4-3 rush end if his weight is still in the 270s.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
These 2 are a bit confusing.

After consulting with my attorneys, we are going to change that verbiage to "legal US Resident".