PDA

View Full Version : How cautious are teams being with Peyton?

Guiness
03-11-2012, 10:44 PM
I see that Manning is off to Denver now, and I'm surprised.

He's been to three cities now, Miami, Denver and Arizona. I thought someone would've made him an offer he couldn't refuse by this point.

Some writers were saying that Manning was going to lay out the terms wrt what he would accept, but I wonder if these teams are kicking the tires and want proof he will be able to play first?

Joemailman
03-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I think it's Manning who is kicking the tires, trying to figure out which organization gives him the best chance of winning a title. Meanwhile, Matt Flynn is thinking, "Will you just hurry up already so I can get on with my career?"

smuggler
03-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I agree with Joe. The incentive-based approach to contracting pretty much means the ball is in Peyton's court.

sheepshead
03-12-2012, 06:55 AM
manning thread. scroll down

ND72
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
He never actually visited Miami...he lives in Miami.

Pugger
03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
I heard he had a 6 hour meeting with officials in AZ.

pbmax
03-12-2012, 08:40 AM
The new scuttlebutt is that while people thought he would decide in a week, it now looks like the Manning camp is willing to let FA start without having decided. Which seems a peculiar stance to take since there will be demonstrably less money in the market, more competition and it will hurt his future team's ability to sign any (even their own) FAs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/report-manning-highly-unlikely-to-decide-before-tuesday-afternoon/

swede
03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
The new scuttlebutt is that while people thought he would decide in a week, it now looks like the Manning camp is willing to let FA start without having decided. Which seems a peculiar stance to take since there will be demonstrably less money in the market, more competition and it will hurt his future team's ability to sign any (even their own) FAs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/report-manning-highly-unlikely-to-decide-before-tuesday-afternoon/

Given the money he already has made he might be shopping to buy a team and make himself "Quarterback for Life".

mraynrand
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Given the money he already has made he might be shopping to buy a team and make himself "Quarterback for Life".

That's the kind of thing that would happen to Cleveland. Except, when will the Peyton Manning progeny be ready to play? That might be Cleveland's next best chance at a winning record.

pbmax
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
OK. This is getting fun. According to the Palm Beach Post (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/03/12/with-peyton-manning-set-to-visit-with-miami-dolphins-pressure-on-rests-on-coach-joe-philbin-to-land-him/), Manning is going to meet with the Dolphins after all. It will be him and Philbin one on one, which would mean Peyton doesn't really want any part of a first time head coach without being certain he knows what the heck he is doing. Either that, or its perfunctory, and Philbin is destined to look silly.

And according to the same piece, there are rumors that Manning will meet with Munchak about the Titans.

pbmax
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Chris Mortenson, contradicting either himself, Schefter or Schefterson, now says that Peyton met the Dolphins "staff" in Indianapolis for 6 hours. So much for exhausted and tired of being a free agent. Could be a sign he doesn't take their bid seriously, but also could be a way to escape the helicopter following him around Miami.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 06:45 AM
I think it's Manning who is kicking the tires, trying to figure out which organization gives him the best chance of winning a title. Meanwhile, Matt Flynn is thinking, "Will you just hurry up already so I can get on with my career?"

When your right .... your right.