View Full Version : RON WOLF - DOESN'T SEE A CONTENDER - YET, CONFIDENCE IN TT

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Posted August 17, 2006

Wolf visits camp, doesn't see a contender

He has confidence in Thompson, though

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

It took Ron Wolf all of two training camp practices to come to the conclusion that the Green Bay Packers aren't a Super Bowl contender.

At a time of year when every team harbors championship hopes, the Packers' retired general manager spoke frankly about the 2006 team after watching practice on Tuesday night and again Wednesday afternoon.

Wolf — who was in town to visit his son, Eliot, a Packers scout, and to spend time with Packers GM Ted Thompson — said he didn't know how far away the Packers are from contending, but didn't see it happening this year.

"It's obviously not in the offing, I don't think," Wolf said Wednesday. "It wouldn't be this year."

A year ago, when the Packers were on their way to a 4-12 season, Wolf said a slew of injuries left them with "NFL-Europe caliber" players, especially at the offensive skill positions other than quarterback.

Wolf believed a year ago that quarterback Brett Favre was still an elite player, but didn't have enough playmakers around him. He said Wednesday he saw nothing this week to change his mind about Favre, but claimed he wasn't qualified to assess the rest of the talent on the roster.

However, he said he believes Thompson, who is in his second season as GM, has the right plan to turn the Packers around.

"It's just a matter of getting it implemented, which I'm sure he'll do," said Wolf, who hired Thompson as a Packers scout in 1992.

"I mean, he's got a track record. He put that team (the Seattle Seahawks) that played in the Super Bowl together. He knows what he's got to do. He's just got to get it done."

"He's got a ways to go, and I'm sure he'll do it."

Wolf said " Thompson didn't ask him for advice."

"If he did, I probably wouldn't come up here," Wolf said.

Wolf, who lives in Annapolis, Md., said he watched Saturday's 17-3 loss at San Diego in the preseason opener and didn't think it was as bad as it may have appeared.

"After you sit down and look at it, you see what you have to do to correct it," Wolf said.

"Remember, you have to start some place. Imagine if that was the first game of the year."

Wolf also said he was impressed with the way first-year coach Mike McCarthy ran practice.

"It's a pretty good tempo," Wolf said.

"I like a tempo like that."

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH !!

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 07:51 AM
http://www.vincelombardi.com/images/1b.jpg

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/hof/mug1280.jpg

"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can. "

Vince Lombardi

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH !!

chewy-bacca
08-17-2006, 08:01 AM
do any of us see a SB team here? Do we need Wolf for that? I wish he would have had constructive things.

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/captainobvious.jpg

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 08:05 AM
" If someone brings you down, keep punchin " :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR 2006 AND BEYOND !!

chewy-bacca
08-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Im just sayin, he would have been better off comparing to the div. not the whole NFL. I dont think ANYONE is thinking SB after last year, and all the changes this year. I am more thinking coming out strong and being in postion to win games. This team will need to take it one game at a time, as if they are all super bowls. if we can stay close, and go 8-8 or 9-7, Favre has alil fun and wants to see the team grow next year.....its on!

IMHO, the only reasons playoffs would be in our thoughts is, 1) is early, 2) the div. is wack.

red
08-17-2006, 08:20 AM
do any of us see a SB team here? Do we need Wolf for that? I wish he would have had constructive things.

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/captainobvious.jpg

damnit, i wanted to use captain obvious while i was reading that

screw it i'm using it anyways

ahem

It took Ron Wolf all of two training camp practices to come to the conclusion that the Green Bay Packers aren't a Super Bowl contender.

well thank you captain obvious

i'll make a prediction too, i don't see this team going 0-16

chewy-bacca
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
red- :wink:

its sad, most of the time Wolf talks, I listen.....but hes getting up there so...

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Im just sayin, he would have been better off comparing to the div. not the whole NFL. I dont think ANYONE is thinking SB after last year, and all the changes this year. I am more thinking coming out strong and being in postion to win games. This team will need to take it one game at a time, as if they are all super bowls. if we can stay close, and go 8-8 or 9-7, Favre has alil fun and wants to see the team grow next year.....its on!

IMHO, the only reasons playoffs would be in our thoughts is, 1) is early, 2) the div. is wack.

I'm all for that certainly chewy-bacca and any Packer fan that supports optimism and a cautious approach to what we see before us in a 53-man Roster. We still have time to right the ship to "in fact" be a very decent surprise in OUR division - YES!

Certain pieces of the puzzle, to be just that, are certainly dedicated to winning in 2006.

They just need PROPER support.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR 2006 !!

Terry
08-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I'd love to see this team grow into a collection of people who believe they can win. And who believe they will win.

But right now, I'd like to see Packer fans who believe we can and will win. There are more here I think than on the other two forums I visit. But still, I've never seen the fan belief who would all show up at a game and burn sage like the Rams fans.

MJZiggy
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
No, we burn brats instead.

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I'd love to see this team grow into a collection of people who believe they can win. And who believe they will win.

But right now, I'd like to see Packer fans who believe we can and will win. There are more here I think than on the other two forums I visit. But still, I've never seen the fan belief who would all show up at a game and burn sage like the Rams fans.

Terry. TRUST this Man.

We are all 100% behind this team we love. We are all diffferent too as people, and will as a result approach concerns for "the Packers" from different angles of thought and philosophy.

My most sincere hope and what I trust - have faith in.

Is that we use this Forum as a support base - positively overall - for the better good of OUR common desire.

TO SEE WINS !!!

Just as Brett Favre and Ahman Green and Donald and Bubba and William and Nick, and so many of OUR Vet players, and OUR Rookies and hopefully OUR new Packer FA's as well.

TO WIN !!!

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Message - to self:

" OUR criticisms have to be self-examined to cull out arrogance "
woodbuck27

RashanGary
08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I pretty much agree with Wolf. I think the Packers are a few years away. I think they will next be a contender with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, not Brett Favre.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I pretty much agree with Wolf. I think the Packers are a few years away. I think they will next be a contender with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, not Brett Favre.

A few years? Were like three or four players away from being a really good team. If not this year, next year.

RashanGary
08-17-2006, 11:19 AM
It could happen as soon as next year, but I think they'll need a transition year like the Bears last year. They were good and this year they should be great.

mmmdk
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Packers not contenders? Damn! This is thursday, right!? :wink:

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 11:23 AM

Maybe? :mrgreen:

Many have come and many have - G O N E !!!

Brett Favre is under Contract GregJennings - through 2011. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

GO PACKERS! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 and BEYOND !!

Creepy
08-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Wolfe is entitled to his opinion. Ijust don't agree with him. To say a teamis not a SB contender is BS. Some teams need work and are too far behind to make the play-offs or are in divsions where the bestteams are elite teams. The North does not have an elite team, teh Bears have a great defense but cannot be an eliteteam until the offense gets better. This division is up in the air and whoever gets to the play-offs automaticly beomes a SB contending team.

Who thought the Rams were a SB contender the year they won it. Everybody was sure the Ravens didn't have enough offense to go all the way, and the Patriots were supposed to get their butts kicked by the Rams the first time.

None of these teams were considered SB contenders in August, but by January 2 were wearing SB rings and one a NFC champinship ring.

Rams in 1998 were 4-12 - Won SB the next year
Patriots in 2000 were 5-11 - Won SB the next year
Atlanta in 1997 were 7-9 - Made SB next year (Lost to Broncos)

In the last ten years 3 teams with losing seasons and considered not SB contenders went to 3 and won 2 SBs. This does not mean I think GB is ready today for a SB appearance, but win the division and go into the play-offs. Once in the play-offs anything can happen.

Do I seea SB team in GB right now? No. Do I see a team that can make the play-offs? Yes. And like I said before, "Once in the play-offs, anything can happen".

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Wolfe is entitled to his opinion. Ijust don't agree with him. To say a teamis not a SB contender is BS. Some teams need work and are too far behind to make the play-offs or are in divsions where the bestteams are elite teams. The North does not have an elite team, teh Bears have a great defense but cannot be an eliteteam until the offense gets better. This division is up in the air and whoever gets to the play-offs automaticly beomes a SB contending team.

Who thought the Rams were a SB contender the year they won it. Everybody was sure the Ravens didn't have enough offense to go all the way, and the Patriots were supposed to get their butts kicked by the Rams the first time.

None of these teams were considered SB contenders in August, but by January 2 were wearing SB rings and one a NFC champinship ring.

Rams in 1998 were 4-12 - Won SB the next year
Patriots in 2000 were 5-11 - Won SB the next year
Atlanta in 1997 were 7-9 - Made SB next year (Lost to Broncos)

In the last ten years 3 teams with losing seasons and considered not SB contenders went to 3 and won 2 SBs. This does not mean I think GB is ready today for a SB appearance, but win the division and go into the play-offs. Once in the play-offs anything can happen.

Do I seea SB team in GB right now? No. Do I see a team that can make the play-offs? Yes. And like I said before, "Once in the play-offs, anything can happen".

Way to show "the faith", Creepy !! :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR OUR TEAM in 2006 and BEYOND !!

Creepy
08-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Anytime I feel that Gb looks bad and has no receivers I get out my old PFW (Pro Football Weekly) paers and read about J. Staggers, B. Smith, from the 70s.

Complain about the QBs, just open a PFW and read about Hadl, Hunter, Tagge, Del Gazio.........uuhhh! starting to get queasey.

I remeber Rbs that couldn't find holes and OL who seemed to only plug holes. So it is easier for me to be optimistic.

jack's smirking revenge
08-17-2006, 02:20 PM

I think you know where I stand after the last couple of days. I believe we can win, but I don't believe we will win. Not much this year anyway. I am very intrigued about next year.

Nice to have a former legendary GM like Wolf in my corner.

Love the Pack, but don't think they'll do much in 2006 (but I'll still watch them).

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Wolfe is entitled to his opinion. Ijust don't agree with him. To say a teamis not a SB contender is BS.....Do I seea SB team in GB right now? No. Do I see a team that can make the play-offs? Yes. And like I said before, "Once in the play-offs, anything can happen".

Your "To say the team is not a SB contender is BS" line seems pretty common these days, but you came dangerously close to contradicting yourself in your own post.

Point A: "To say a team is not a SB contender is BS"
Point B: "Do I see a SB team in GB right now? No."

You essentially said that they're not a contender.

tyler

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 03:32 PM

I think you know where I stand after the last couple of days. I believe we can win, but I don't believe we will win. Not much this year anyway. I am very intrigued about next year.

Nice to have a former legendary GM like Wolf in my corner.

I still Love the Pack, but don't think they'll do much in 2006 (but I'll still watch them).

tyler

tyler your a good Packer fan.

To be realistic = drawing criticism from more optimistic fans and fans that want to remain 100% positive.

That instills in me, a unique faith in Packer fans. It's ALL good tyler.

You will have lots, I trust tyler, to cheer for in 2006.

Even if it's to enjoy Brett Favre's and Ahman Green's last hurrah's, for good bad or indifferent - we will remain solid supporters of OUR team. ALL of us on this forum are locked into - just this.

The Green Bay Packers. It's going to be OK !! :mrgreen:

jack's smirking revenge
08-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Woodbuck, you continue to be the bridge between those of us who....how should I put it without getting into the pessimist/optimist/realist terms?....are crictical of this team and those of us that are not. Thank you for stretching yourself to be that person.

I hate that I have to continually temper my criticism with...

1) I have and will always be a Packer fan
2) I bleed Green and Gold (yes, a G&G transfusion was performed)
3) I will cheer for them in 2006 no matter what

Am I down on them right now? Yes. Will they be exciting this year, even if they're 4-12 again? Yes. Why?

tyler

Creepy
08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
JSR,

You pick one sentence and overlook the rest. I explain of otherteams that were considered in August not SB contenders who either went or won the SB. My statement do not contradict, but are more reasonable.

The onlytemas that will be SB contenders are those in the play-offs. At this momnet in time do I see GB in the SB? No. Do I see a play-off team? Yes, and a play-off team is a SB contender. Hense remember the word contender, you don't have to play in the SB to be a contender.

Again, I may be more optimistic than other fans, but with our division there is a chance for any team to make the play-offs, even though the Lions may be a stretch.