PDA

View Full Version : Report: Wells Has Picked New Team

Pages : [1] 2

pbmax
03-13-2012, 04:33 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/1167213.html

Bill Huber writes this site and he says he cannot disclose the team, but expects the deal to happen quickly. Does not look like he is coming back.

denverYooper
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Saw that. Hope they can nab Meyers.

pbmax
03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Saw that. Hope they can nab Meyers.

The guy released from the Rams was younger (29). Not sure about quality of play.

gbgary
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
got to replace a center now. bet dd gets released now.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Yup it was taking too long. Wells was gone. Nice? No it fricken sucks. Damn I hope this report is a misconception and he doesn't feel he must leave Green Bay over money. I really wonder what the reports will be on this one.

What did we get here? A win one lose one scenario? Win the TE annd lose the Center.

Was that a win? **

** Wells is coming off the best three years of his career, capped by a Super Bowl championship in 2010 and his first Pro Bowl in 2011...fr. Story LINK opening of this thread.

Now TT has to look for a center? Does that seem like it was the best plan?

Brando19
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
I think Ted is eyeing Myers anyway. Hope he gets it done. I think they release Clifton pretty soon.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I think Ted is eyeing Myers anyway. Hope he gets it done. I think they release Clifton pretty soon.

In TT we TRUST.

Brandon494
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
got to replace a center now. bet dd gets released now.

So release Driver and overpay for a center?

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Yup go further. Lose Scott Wells then release DD and Chad Clifton. Ohh hell toss out Ryan Grant as well. It's like one of a fathers children gets sick and dies so father decides to kill three more children.

The Ted Thompson way. Such a genious.

What we have here is a scenario where we either have to pay as much or more for what Scott Wells will have cost some team NOT us or pay what TT decides is best for an inferior talent at center.

Brandon494
03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Yup go further. Lose Scott Wells then release DD and Chad Clifton. Ohh hell toss out Ryan Grant as well. It's like one of a fathers children gets sick and dies so father decides to kill three more children.

The Ted Thompson way. Such a genious.

What we have here is a scenario where we either have to pay as much or more for what Scott Wells will have cost some team NOT us or pay what TT decides is best for an inferior talent at center.

I agree cut every guy you mentioned but Driver. He'll redo this contract and I'd keep him around for one more season. While he doesn't have the quickness and speed he once had he is still a good possession receiver. Of his 37 catches 20 of them were first downs plus 6 TDs.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree cut every guy you mentioned but Driver. He'll redo this contract and I'd keep him around for one more season. While he doesn't have the quickness and speed he once had he is still a good possession receiver. Of his 37 catches 20 of them were first downs plus 6 TDs.

Does anyone ever know what TT is thinking?

gbgary
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM

just guessing what tt might do. i sure don't want to see dd gone.

ThunderDan
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Yes, he is trying to keep the team positioned for another Super Bowl run and a dynasty.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes, he is trying to keep the team positioned for another Super Bowl run and a dynasty.

Ohh Good !

Joemailman
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM

What a cruel person you are, mentioning to Woody that the Packers have won a Super Bowl with Thompson at the helm.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
What a cruel person you are, mentioning to Woody that the Packers have won a Super Bowl with Thompson at the helm.

Yes so what's your point. This is now the 2011-12 off season and we have to watch TT prepare our team for the 2012 season and beyond. It's alot like watching paint dry. No less.....

Can we move the discussion into today for tomorrow.

sharpe1027
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes so what's your point. This is now the 2011-12 off season and we have to watch TT prepare our team for the 2012 season and beyond. It's alot like watching paint dry. No less.....

Can we move the discussion into today for tomorrow.

The Redskins are exciting to watch in how they prepare their team. Maybe you could become a skins fan in the off season and return to the Packers once the season starts? :)

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
The Redskins are exciting to watch in how they prepare their team. Maybe you could become a skins fan in the off season and return to the Packers once the season starts? :)

how they prepare their team ... sharpe1027

prepare team

prepare

MadScientist
03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
In fact, a separate source said Wells already has picked his new team. We’re not allowed to say who that team is, only that a deal will be struck quickly after free agency begins.

Did the Packers give Wells permission to shop around or is this tampering?

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Did the Packers give Wells permission to shop around or is this tampering?

TT dolly dogged along with the Scott Wells resigning to the point that Scott Wells felt unappreciated and simply decided he was going elsewhere for more money because he knew he could get it. At the first hour of FA he made his decision known to a team that covets him.
The contract is being drawn up by that team. Scott Wells through his agent will announce that team ASAP. Scott Wells is no longer a Green Bay Packer.

No harm no damage. He's gone. End of story.

Rutnstrut
03-13-2012, 11:44 PM

Yeah, not so much if he lets Wells walk.

woodbuck27
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM

Be careful of using 'about right' logic around here. LOL

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Who knows what Wells is asking? If the choice is Wells at anything over $5M, guys like Garcon at $8M or Jackson at $11M, I'd much prefer he saves the money for guys like Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, Finley (if he lives up to his potential). It's not like these high priced FAs will come to town on a one year contract, so these deals (including Wells) would eat into the pot that the money for our stars would be coming from. I'm not sure how hard this is to understand. On top of that, we are easily on the bottom half of available salary cap room. Think of Rodgers and Matthews alone and how much their new contracts are going to eat up. You want to use that to overpay for the FAs out there (Wells included)? It's all about hitting draft home runs for TT. Here's hoping he hits one this year.

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Who knows what Wells is asking? If the choice is Wells at anything over $5M, guys like Garcon at $8M or Jackson at $11M, I'd much prefer he saves the money for guys like Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, Finley (if he lives up to his potential). It's not like these high priced FAs will come to town on a one year contract, so these deals (including Wells) would eat into the pot that the money for our stars would be coming from. I'm not sure how hard this is to understand. On top of that, we are easily on the bottom half of available salary cap room. Think of Rodgers and Matthews alone and how much their new contracts are going to eat up. You want to use that to overpay for the FAs out there (Wells included)? It's all about hitting draft home runs for TT. Here's hoping he hits one this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/the-free-agent-hot-100/

93. Packers center Scott Wells (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2940/scott-wells) ??

So is he really gone? At 7 AM Eastern time Wed. 14 March, 2012 we have no news on our FA center.

There's nothing that Ted Thompson cannot correct if he can negotiate a reasonable contract with Scott Wells. Both sides have to agree on what reasonable is. This isn't all Ted Thompsons doing or undoing.

In negotiations we are seeing that both sides are playing their cards close to their chests. Maybe Scott Wells has left the table? Maybe he will return? This may be simply a case where Scott Wells is going to make the absolute best deal for himself and part of that amounts to relocating away from Green Bay, Wisconsin.

It's a simple wait and see. The situation is 'only' in the control of our GM to a certain degree and we are unaware of all the facts. As a fan it sucks that we may lose Scott Wells as we have watched his development to a top level Center. This is simply a part of the hard business side of the NFL.

wist43
03-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Seriously, who gives a shit about Wells, why?? He's certainly not irreplacable... and while the OL as a whole is average, positionally, in terms of need... average is pretty good compared to putrid - which is an apt description of our front seven.

$5 million for Wells?? really?? when we can't even field an NFL calibur front seven??

And now with Neal being suspended, Greene at the end of the line, no production whatsoever out of Wilson and Wynn, and even Pickett another year older - is TT planning on playing a "Raji-10 defense"??

Seriously, I can begin to fathom why we're even having these discussions. Driver should be restructured or cut, same with Clifton, Wells should be allowed to walk, Bush?? see ya...

Preemptively reup the other guys with that money; or spend some of it on 1 front seven FA, focus on the front seven early in the draft, and go from there.

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Seriously, who gives a shit about Wells, why?? He's certainly not irreplacable... and while the OL as a whole is average, positionally, in terms of need... average is pretty good compared to putrid - which is an apt description of our front seven.

$5 million for Wells?? really?? when we can't even field an NFL calibur front seven??

And now with Neal being suspended, Greene at the end of the line, no production whatsoever out of Wilson and Wynn, and even Pickett another year older - is TT planning on playing a "Raji-10 defense"??

Seriously, I can begin to fathom why we're even having these discussions. Driver should be restructured or cut, same with Clifton, Wells should be allowed to walk, Bush?? see ya...

Preemptively reup the other guys with that money; or spend some of it on 1 front seven FA, focus on the front seven early in the draft, and go from there.

I'm thinking along the same lines. It's difficult as a fan to really know the hard stuff. Our team is is dire need on defense. Ted Thompson has to make hard decisions on that side of the ball and by now evidence of those hard decisions (as they are or not) is still inside of his head. As fans we could better understand it all if we could see into the future but for now we need to be simply patient.

The first rule of being 'a fair to yourself NFL fan' is to realize that in pro Sports today there is 'NO LOYALTY'. Every man makes his own best deal and if he's smart that Pro plays it unemotionally by hiring an agent to get him the best money for his best welfare and future.

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 07:23 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/search/Chris+Myers

Chris Myers not a Packer, yet (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/chris-myers-not-a-packer-yet/)

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT

During the Scouting Combine, a report emerged that the Packers were talking to Texans center Chris Myers.

Four hours into free agency, the Packers aren’t talking to Myers, yet.

Per a league source, Myer is talking to the Texans and Titans. The intra-division squabble raises the stakes for the Texans, who would surely rather lose…

Smeefers
03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
A few years ago Wells was replaced by Jason Spitz until he got hurt. I do not think Wells is irreplaceable. Sure, he's done an okay job the last couple years, but I refuse to think of him as some unstoppable force in the center who deserves top cash. He's undersized and old and on the decent of his career. If someone is willing to shill out the cash for him, then more power to him, but there's no way I want to see us break the bank for him.

ThunderDan
03-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Why?

There is only so much cap space a team has. If you are paying 7M per year to your 30+ y.o. C you may be in deep trouble.

If the cap is ~ $126M and you are using $40M on 4 players that leaves $86 M for the other 49 or $1.76M per player.

If you use $65M on 7 players that leaves $61M or $1.33M per player.

If you keep all you aging vets at their contract level you use $90M on 11 players and leave $36M for 40 players or a little more than $900,000 per player.

Obviously there are middling contracts all over the roster like a J Bush making $2M, etc. But the idea is the same, you can only keep a handful of superstars at the most or you are in salary cap trouble.

SkinBasket
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM

The same can be asked of you everyday. The difference being, he runs one of the most successful sports franchises in the world and you post gibberish on an internet forum. So.....

sharpe1027
03-14-2012, 09:29 AM
how they prepare their team ... sharpe1027

prepare team

prepare

they prepare ... woodbuck27

they

the

th

t

Cheesehead Craig
03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines. It's difficult as a fan to really know the hard stuff. Our team is is dire need on defense. Ted Thompson has to make hard decisions on that side of the ball and by now evidence of those hard decisions (as they are or not) is still inside of his head. As fans we could better understand it all if we could see into the future but for now we need to be simply patient.

The first rule of being 'a fair to yourself NFL fan' is to realize that in pro Sports today there is 'NO LOYALTY'. Every man makes his own best deal and if he's smart that Pro plays it unemotionally by hiring an agent to get him the best money for his best welfare and future.

Wait a sec, first you're lamenting that we're losing Wells in FA and that TT shouldn't let it happen. Now you're agreeing with Wist that we never should have thought twice about letting him go? Pick an argument and stick with it.

Upnorth
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I think with wells we had a top 5 oline, especially for pass blocking. Without him i just don't know. Center is one of the least appreciated positions in all of football, and they need to know there assignments and blocking calls. I don't know if the system Meyers knows is similar to ours, but he could have a steep learning curve (assuming we get him), and who else out there really looks appealing? I have heard we have a complex blocking system. . .

denverYooper
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
For having picked a new team, the guy sure is beating around the bush.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I think with wells we had a top 5 oline, especially for pass blocking. Without him i just don't know. Center is one of the least appreciated positions in all of football, and they need to know there assignments and blocking calls. I don't know if the system Meyers knows is similar to ours, but he could have a steep learning curve (assuming we get him), and who else out there really looks appealing? I have heard we have a complex blocking system. . .

Well said, at least someone here gets it. Most of you have no clue how tough it is to replace a quality center.

sharpe1027
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
On one hand, Wells was not dominate in any phase of the game. On the other hand, even one weak link on the O-line can make the entire offense sputter.

Fritz
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Well said, at least someone here gets it. Most of you have no clue how tough it is to replace a quality center.

Most of us also do not know how tough it is to manage a salary cap over both the short and long term. Most of us can scream "re-sign Wells!" and then complain when Jennings or Matthews leaves via free-agency because the Pack doesn't have enough cap room to re-sign them thanks to contracts like Wells's.

Pugger
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM

No kidding. If indeed he has a new home how come he hasn't signed? Maybe he's finding out he isn't in as big a demand as he hoped?

denverYooper
03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Word on the skreet is that he's meeting with Tennessee and would really like to play in the land of his birth.

Patler
03-14-2012, 02:39 PM

denverYooper
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Chris Meyers is also meeting with TN.

Upnorth
03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

That is a very interesting take on the situation.

I would like to respond in kind,

??

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Wait a sec, first you're lamenting that we're losing Wells in FA and that TT shouldn't let it happen. Now you're agreeing with Wist that we never should have thought twice about letting him go? Pick an argument and stick with it.

Finf the sentence where I say we should NOT let Scott Wells go. Find it ! If you find it ...rebut it.

Now find the sentence where I say TT should never have thought twice about letting Scott Wells go. Find it ! If you find it agree with it or rebut it please.

Now please read the following statement again:

The first rule of being 'a fair to yourself NFL fan' is to realize that in pro Sports today there is 'NO LOYALTY'. Every man makes his own best deal and if he's smart that Pro plays it unemotionally by hiring an agent to get him the best money for his best welfare and future. woodbuck27

Do you find anything in this statement above that you disagree with? If so rebut it or not. I'm just a Packer fan that's I assume alot like you. Trying to understand isues as they come up without all the details. Trying to make a positive contribution overall to this forum.

Do I attack you? If I have. Inform the forum of such instance (s). If you can't do that please don't cause any issue with me as that will get you nowhere man. I try my best to make a positive contribution here at Packerrats and even go so far with that to try to respect you. I request the same respect.

denverYooper
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
The market isn't exactly going bananas for Wells. Meyers being in the mix is probably hurting his value also: for a team like TN, given a similar ballpark for signing either, I'd have to think they'd probably take Meyers. Just a guess, but I'd think Wells would have to take Green Bay money to play in Tennessee.

Or maybe he would give the Titans the hometown discount because it's his home state.

At any rate, I think Wells might be finding that he's not going to make the kind of coin he had expected.

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 03:45 PM

We have to assume that TT has an offer to Scott Wells that stands today. Scott Wells as a FA has decided to look around for a better offer. He may then bring that back to Ted Thompson. As Packer fans we can 'only' guess as to what is really happening in terms of Scott Wells future. I believe that Ted Thompson is very interested in what Scott Wells decides.

Patler
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM

That is a very interesting take on the situation.

I would like to respond in kind,

??

Sometimes a topic is so interesting, I really dig deep!

Fritz
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Is the signing of Myers going to determine what Wells gets?

woodbuck27
03-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Titans to host Scott Wells (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/titans-to-host-scott-wells/)
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/scottwellsgreenbaypackersvnewyorkgiants1kiirulxo2_ l1.jpg?w=141 Getty Images

The Titans are looking for a center. They’re reportedly interested in Texans center David Myers.

And now they’re reportedly interested in Packers center Scott Wells (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2940/scott-wells).

According to ESPN (via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel), theTitans will host Wells on Wednesday (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142644546.html).

Of course, the Titans could be bringing in Wells, who lives only 15 minutes from the Tennessee facility in the offseason, in order to show Myers that the Titans’ have other options. And for Wells, it makes sense to do it even if the Titans actually want Myers, since it gets Wells’ name into circulation.

Smidgeon
03-14-2012, 06:49 PM
It seems to me that the market is nuts for two players and two players only: Mario and Manning. Everyone else who's signed seems to have visited one team and be done or not visited at all.

I don't normally pay attention to free agency. But that doesn't exactly seem typical to me.

gbgary
03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
It seems to me that the market is nuts for two players and two players only: Mario and Manning. Everyone else who's signed seems to have visited one team and be done or not visited at all.

I don't normally pay attention to free agency. But that doesn't exactly seem typical to me.

i don't get the visiting thing. it can all be narrowed down to one or two teams over the friggin phone. then go see them for a physical and contract signing.

pbmax
03-14-2012, 09:13 PM

You mean like when the Patriots when through three of them and made the Super Bowl?

Or when 8 centers have hit free agency this offseason?

Joemailman
03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Not dissing Wells, but it's easy to forget that he was a 7th round draft pick who replaced Mike Flanagan as the starting Center in 2006. Wells is good, but Center doesn't seem like a particularly difficult position to find a replacement.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Not dissing Wells, but it's easy to forget that he was a 7th round draft pick who replaced Mike Flanagan as the starting Center in 2006. Wells is good, but Center doesn't seem like a particularly difficult position to find a replacement.

Right now that question is on our watch list. (-:

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...142583075.html (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wells-likely-to-take-hike-k14hvkk-142583075.html)

Scott Wells likely to take hike

By Tom Silverstein (tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com) of the Journal Sentinel
March 14, 2012

The Packers allowed free agency to begin Tuesday afternoon without a new contract for Wells, thus allowing him to shop his wares to 31 other teams. Motivated by the team's reluctance to sign him at his price, Wells appears determined to land a job somewhere else.

Please CLICK on the LINK above for the story.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Packers’ Lang says departure of Wells would be a huge loss

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 29, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/scottwellssuperbowlgetty-e1306954199329.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

Soon-to-be free agent center Scott Wells (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2940/scott-wells) is so close to leaving the Packers (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/wells-packers-could-be-headed-for-divorce/) that Green Bay has reportedly already started pursuing his replacement (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/report-packers-pursuing-texans-center-chris-myers/). But one of Wells’s linemates says the team needs to do whatever it takes to keep Wells in the fold.

Packers guard T.J. Lang (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5343/tj-lang) told the Journal Sentinel that Wells was a huge part of the Packers’ great offense in 2011, and the Packers will suffer if they lose him.

“He’s really a role model for the other guys,” Lang said.

“He has shown us the right way to go about our business. If it happens, I think it’d be a huge loss for our offense (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lang-makes-case-for-packers-to-keep-wells-u24ceeh-140818853.html). It’d definitely be a big loss to our whole offensive line group.”

Although there’s some talk coming out of Green Bay that the Packers will be perfectly content with Wells leaving and Texans center Chris Myers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3373/chris-myers) signing to replace him, Lang said it’s going to be tough for a newcomer to step in and do what a center needs to do in the Packers’ offense.

“I don’t think people really understand how difficult it is to play center in our offense,” Lang said,

“with the amount of information they need from knowing the play, getting up to the line, recognizing the defense, calling out the line calls. And on top of that, snapping it and blocking a guy. It’s tough.”

Losing Wells, who started all 16 games last year, would certainly be tough.

And Lang, who started all 16 games next to him, may be the player who has the toughest time adjusting.

Comment woodbuck27: Of course some members here will continue to poo poo this issue as a non factor as they point out we were 15-1 last season and certain to maintain that staus quo...with the loss of Scott Wells being no more than a crack in the road factor. That we're in solid shape and headed for another Super Bowl or close to that in 2012.

Why? Am I having such a problem agreeing with that confidence.

I'm NOT attempting to stir the pot here. I'm just like you. Searching for some TRUTH. (-:

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Tennessee would be the perfect landing place for Wells. He lives about 15 minutes outside of Nashville and attended the University of Tennessee.

ND72
03-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Totally disagree, especially in Green Bay's system. Wells makes every blocking call on every play. Center is a very challenging position as you have to have an understanding of the game as much as the quarterback. Personally I think this could be a hit for us.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Totally disagree, especially in Green Bay's system. Wells makes every blocking call on every play. Center is a very challenging position as you have to have an understanding of the game as much as the quarterback. Personally I think this could be a hit for us.

Packers guard T.J. Lang (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5343/tj-lang) told the Journal Sentinel that Wells was a huge part of the Packers’ great offense in 2011, and the Packers will suffer if they lose him.

“He’s really a role model for the other guys,” Lang said.

“He has shown us the right way to go about our business. If it happens, I think it’d be a huge loss for our offense (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lang-makes-case-for-packers-to-keep-wells-u24ceeh-140818853.html). It’d definitely be a big loss to our whole offensive line group.”

Although there’s some talk coming out of Green Bay that the Packers will be perfectly content with Wells leaving and Texans center Chris Myers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3373/chris-myers) signing to replace him, Lang said it’s going to be tough for a newcomer to step in and do what a center needs to do in the Packers’ offense.

“I don’t think people really understand how difficult it is to play center in our offense,” Lang said,

“with the amount of information they need from knowing the play, getting up to the line, recognizing the defense, calling out the line calls. And on top of that, snapping it and blocking a guy. It’s tough.”

Losing Wells, who started all 16 games last year, would certainly be tough.

TheRaven
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I am probably more anxious about the outcome of this decision than I was about the prospect of losing Finley, even though he is the more dynamic talent. Wells is a top center in the best offense in the league. We have some question marks on the outside of our line, so adding a huge question mark in the middle doesn't sound appealing. The guy still appears to have several years at the top of his game and I am a little hesitant having someone new come in and try to pick up all the nuances of the offense in one offseason.

Upnorth
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM

A 7th round pick who we have tried (and failed) to replace. The guy is great at our offense and would be a huge loss to our line. It is not often he calls the wrong protection and it is not often he makes a blocking mistake. If he signs elsewhere for 5mil or less I will be greatly disappointed if we did not match it.

As an aside, after blindside tackle, center is the most important oline position (39OBALOO) and it pisses me of that they call wr, te, rb and qb as skill positions. Great centers can disect the D similar to qb's and that is an undervalued skill.

TheRaven
03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
A 7th round pick who we have tried (and failed) to replace. The guy is great at our offense and would be a huge loss to our line. It is not often he calls the wrong protection and it is not often he makes a blocking mistake. If he signs elsewhere for 5mil or less I will be greatly disappointed if we did not match it.

As an aside, after blindside tackle, center is the most important oline position (39OBALOO) and it pisses me of that they call wr, te, rb and qb as skill positions. Great centers can disect the D similar to qb's and that is an undervalued skill.

Definitely agree with this. I think he will get at least 5 million per from either GB or another team though in the end.

pbmax
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
A 7th round pick who we have tried (and failed) to replace.

Didn't Spitz simply hurt his back?

ThunderDan
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't think the disagreement is that Wells is a quality center in the league. The issue is can you afford $7+ M on a center and keep Matthews, Rodgers, Jennings, and a LT (who commands Clifton money) and not have to start players who are making the league minimum.

Wouldn't it be great to put 4-5M in a ROLB opposite of Clay instead of Walden/Zombo/Jones? Well cap considerations have to be made. You find and pay two superstar OLB and you have less money to spend on the OL.

Remember starting Marquand Manuel and Bigby? How about Klemm and Whiticker when we were in cap hell under Sherman?

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't think the disagreement is that Wells is a quality center in the league. The issue is can you afford $7+ M on a center and keep Matthews, Rodgers, Jennings, and a LT (who commands Clifton money) and not have to start players who are making the league minimum.

Wouldn't it be great to put 4-5M in a ROLB opposite of Clay instead of Walden/Zombo/Jones? Well cap considerations have to be made. You find and pay two superstar OLB and you have less money to spend on the OL.

Remember starting Marquand Manuel and Bigby? How about Klemm and Whiticker when we were in cap hell under Sherman?

Ted Thompson knows what he can afford to get Scott Wells back in the fold or if he really wants him.

Upnorth
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Which stud olb is in free agency that would work for us? Until we get a good replacement center try to keep wells.

Also PB, how dare you use facts I had forgotten in this argument! Seriously though aside from Meyer do you see a good replacement (and I'm not sold on meyer) that would work from day 1?

sharpe1027
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Ted Thompson knows what he can afford to get Scott Wells back in the fold or if he really wants him.

"if he really wants him" kinda of misses ThunderDan's point, which is: if he is willing to make sacrifices elsewhere.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
"if he really wants him" kinda of misses ThunderDan's point, which is: if he is willing to make sacrifices elsewhere.

I will reprase that. TT knows his bottom line on what Scott Wells should cost the Packers. I'm sure TT is very concerned over the possibility of having to replace Scott Wells. TT wants him at a particular ceiling price. We're looking at two sides in terms of a bottom line (and payment for services0. We must also consider that Scott Wells for any reason simply wants to move elsewhere.

ThunderDan
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Upnorth;657042]Which stud olb is in free agency that would work for us? Until we get a good replacement center try to keep wells.
[QUOTE]

Just an example. No specific player in mind.

TheRaven
03-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Just an example. No specific player in mind.

That is kind of the thing though..will we find a OLB in FA for that kind of money that would be a big enough upgrade to justify losing a center that is still in his prime, playing well and knows our system?

I agree our defense needs improvement..I think we all will. But I don't want to mortgage a great offense unless we are truly upgrading our defense enough to make up for it.

ThunderDan
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
That is kind of the thing though..will we find a OLB in FA for that kind of money that would be a big enough upgrade to justify losing a center that is still in his prime, playing well and knows our system?

I agree our defense needs improvement..I think we all will. But I don't want to mortgage a great offense unless we are truly upgrading our defense enough to make up for it.

Well then how about JFin who is now on the books for 6+M. His pay increase is the same as signing a $5M OLB.

pbmax
03-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Which stud olb is in free agency that would work for us? Until we get a good replacement center try to keep wells.

Also PB, how dare you use facts I had forgotten in this argument! Seriously though aside from Meyer do you see a good replacement (and I'm not sold on meyer) that would work from day 1?

There was a pro football focus article on the FA centers and I remember McGinn had reports on them as well. Beside the Texans guy (Myers) who was the unanimous #1, there was a lot of disagreement.

So I do not have a suggestion as to who should be signed, but I take from all the bodies available that many are interchangeable and that you simply need to find a fit with your style. Also, with all the teams dumping rather than signing, I think a number of centers are going to disappointed in their numbers. Too many buyers and sellers will drop the price below the top end I believe.

PFT is reporting Wells has left Tennessee and is headed to St. Louis.

gbpackfan
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Scott Wells is replaced a lot easier than Matthews, Finley, Jennings, Rodgers etc. That is why they can't tie up a boat load of cash on him. Just take a look around the league, a bunch of good high priced centers have been released. That's because it is hard to justify tying up that much of your cap on a center. I know they are important, but Meyers can do the job just as well as Wells. So could three or four guys out there. Im way more concerned about our crappy defense than who will be the center next year.

Fritz
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
So he's making the tour. Okay. I hope that tour ends up back in GB, where he signs at a reasonable price...

But after reading about Megatron's contract, maybe Ted's lowering his offer to Wells, knowing that GJ is up next year.

denverYooper
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Didn't Spitz simply hurt his back?

Fucking Rock Gullickson

denverYooper
03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I can see it now: Wells walks and signs a relatively cheap deal with Philadelphia. Then Green Bay's offense gives up a bunch of sacks and becomes the 2nd worst statistically. However, Clay Matthews almost singlehandedly keeps Green Bay in games with huge plays every week and the defense rises to become the cream of the crop. We all sit around and talk about how Wells was a key cog in the offense but that hey, he's still giving up some sacks in Philly so he wasn't the whole reason.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I can see it now: Wells walks and signs a relatively cheap deal with Philadelphia. Then Green Bay's offense gives up a bunch of sacks and becomes the 2nd worst statistically. However, Clay Matthews almost singlehandedly keeps Green Bay in games with huge plays every week and the defense rises to become the cream of the crop. We all sit around and talk about how Wells was a key cog in the offense but that hey, he's still giving up some sacks in Philly so he wasn't the whole reason.

Apples and oranges. Offense and defense. OUR need for an improved 'D' and more balance on both sides of the ball.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
So he's making the tour. Okay. I hope that tour ends up back in GB, where he signs at a reasonable price...

But after reading about Megatron's contract, maybe Ted's lowering his offer to Wells, knowing that GJ is up next year.

Free agent center Scott Wells is currently at Rams Park

Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/scott-wells-pic.jpg?w=141 Getty Images

Free agent center Scott Wells (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2940/scott-wells) visited the Titans’ facility (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/titans-to-host-scott-wells/) on Wednesday, but left without signing a deal.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Wells is now in St. Louis (https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/statuses/180376268896862208).

The Rams cut their starting center, Jason Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3317/jason-brown), earlier in the week and are pursuing a replacement. Wells and Chris Myers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3373/chris-myers) are the best two free agent centers on the open market.

pittstang5
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
So is the guy the Rams cut, Jason Brown, any good? Looks like he could play guard as well. You know TT and MM love those versatile guys.

Fritz
03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I think he's of the underacheiver variety.

With a coach like James Campen, though, he's sure to develop into a pro bowler...

Smidgeon
03-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Fucking Rock Gullickson

Sheesh. How many backs did he ruin?

denverYooper
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Sheesh. How many backs did he ruin?

I don't know but I think it's safe to blame him for every one of them.

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 04:56 PM
So is the guy the Rams cut, Jason Brown, any good? Looks like he could play guard as well. You know TT and MM love those versatile guys.

Not alot here but so far here's what I have on Center Jason Brown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)

Pre-draft measureables

HtWt40-yd dash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash)10-yd split20-yd split20-ss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-yard_shuttle)3-cone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_cone_drill)Vert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_jump)Broad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_long_jump)BP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_press#NFL_Combine)6 ft 2 3⁄4 in313 lb5.20 s1.85 s3.09 s4.52 s7.72 s30 1⁄2 in8 ft 9 in26 rep

All values from NFL Combine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Combine), except for broad jump and bench press, which are from North Carolina Pro Day

2005 NFL Draft

Along with Chris Spencer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Spencer_(American_football)), Brown was considered one of the best centers available in the 2005 NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft). He was projected a mid third round pick,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)#cite_note-0) and was eventually selected in the fourth round (124th overall) by the Baltimore Ravens.

Jason Brown and the Baltimore Ravens:

Jason Brown started all 16 games at guard in the 2007 season after spending 2005 and 2006 as a backup to Ravens starter Mike Flynn. He later started all 16 games in the 2008 season as center. He was considered to be one of the best offensive lineman coming into Free Agency the following season.

Jason Brown and the St. Louis Rams - history:

Center Jason Brown visited the Rams in the first day of free agency February 27, 2009. The next day he agreed to a five-year deal worth $37.5 million, including with $20 million guaranteed. The deal would make Brown the highest paid center in the NFL.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)#cite_note-1) He was expected to be the St.Louis Rams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St.Louis_Rams) starting center.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)#cite_note-2) However, on March 10, it was reported that the contract has been disapproved by the league and the two sides were working to correct the issue.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)#cite_note-3) The deal was finally approved by the NFL on March 12.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(American_football)#cite_note-4)

On March 12, 2012, he was released by the Rams.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Brown used to be solid a few years ago, but I don't know where he's at now. How old is he?

pbmax
03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Fucking Rock Gullickson

Infernal free weights!

pittstang5
03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Brown used to be solid a few years ago, but I don't know where he's at now. How old is he?

28 - I think

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
28 - I think

Jason W. Brown born May 5, 1983 in Henderson, North Carolina

He'll be 29 years of age on May 5, 2012.

pbmax
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Tyler Dunne on the Centers likely to be available (list was published some time ago so things, like Jeff Faine's availability, have changed)

Tyler Dunne, March 10, 2012: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142173353.html

Green Bay -- Mike McCarthy wants him back. Left guard T.J. Lang and teammates want him back. But four days before the start of free agency, the Packers and center Scott Wells still have not found common ground.

Deadlines can always spark movement. And there's a chance Wells tests the market, his asking price drops and the Packers are more willing to compromise. But the shot clock is on. If the Packers lose Wells, they'll have to find a new center for the first time in eight years.

As their interest in Houston Texans free agent Chris Myers shows, the team may not be afraid to give another center a lot of money. The position is valued by management, a good sign. The mistake would be trying to skate into training camp without a sure thing at center. The Packers' zone-blocking scheme and up-tempo passing attack demands a lot from the center.

Here are some possibilities:

UFA Chris Myers, Texans: Widely considered the top center available in free agency. Myers, 31, said the report of Green Bay's interest was "news to him" and he wants to stay in Houston. Still, he's going to test the market. Helped Houston overcome a rash of injuries in 2011 with 2nd-best rushing attack and 13th-best total offense.

UFA Samson Satele, Raiders: A league source told The San Francisco Chronicle that Satele isn't in the team's plans. Started two years in Miami and then the last three in Oakland. Only 27 years old. Raiders' rushing game ranked 2nd and 7th the last two seasons.

UFA Dan Koppen, Patriots: Missed all of 2011 with an ankle injury. The 32-year-old has been a mainstay on New England's line, a starter since 2003. There's a good chance he returns to New England. As quarterback Tom Brady said, "There's only one other butt on this planet I like: Koppen's and my wife's."

UFA Nick Hardwick, Chargers: San Diego has been negotiating with the 30-year-old Hardwick. Has been the starter since 2004. The Chargers may look to shore up its line before addressing Vincent Jackson and their receivers.

Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin: Had a great Combine, with 32 reps on the bench press, and G.M. Ted Thompson got an up-close look at him at Wisconsin's pro day. As noted here, the guard Zeitler may fit best as a center in the pros.

Peter Konz, Wisconsin: Did not participate in Wisconsin's pro day due to his dislocated ankle. Plans on working out for teams in early April and said his ankle is at "90 percent." Still remains the top get at center in the draft.

Ben Jones, Georgia: If the Packers opt to address defense early in the draft, Jones is one possibility. Played in Georgia's no-huddle offense. Smart player but not physically overwhelming.

Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State: Green Bay covets versatility along the offensive line. Multi-tasking is often required from linemen at camp. At Mississippi State, Saulsberry played all three positions. A mid-round option.

(Note: Leading up to free agency, we're taking a look at one issue facing each position.)

woodbuck27
03-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Tyler Dunne on the Centers likely to be available (list was published some time ago so things, like Jeff Faine's availability, have changed)

Tyler Dunne, March 10, 2012: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142173353.html

Green Bay -- Mike McCarthy wants him back. Left guard T.J. Lang and teammates want him back. But four days before the start of free agency, the Packers and center Scott Wells still have not found common ground.

Deadlines can always spark movement. And there's a chance Wells tests the market, his asking price drops and the Packers are more willing to compromise. But the shot clock is on. If the Packers lose Wells, they'll have to find a new center for the first time in eight years.

As their interest in Houston Texans free agent Chris Myers shows, the team may not be afraid to give another center a lot of money. The position is valued by management, a good sign. The mistake would be trying to skate into training camp without a sure thing at center. The Packers' zone-blocking scheme and up-tempo passing attack demands a lot from the center.

UFA Chris Myers, Texans: Widely considered the top center available in free agency. Myers, 31, said the report of Green Bay's interest was "news to him" and he wants to stay in Houston. Still, he's going to test the market. Helped Houston overcome a rash of injuries in 2011 with 2nd-best rushing attack and 13th-best total offense.

UFA Samson Satele, Raiders: A league source told The San Francisco Chronicle that Satele isn't in the team's plans. Started two years in Miami and then the last three in Oakland. Only 27 years old. Raiders' rushing game ranked 2nd and 7th the last two seasons.

UFA Dan Koppen, Patriots: Missed all of 2011 with an ankle injury. The 32-year-old has been a mainstay on New England's line, a starter since 2003. There's a good chance he returns to New England. As quarterback Tom Brady said, "There's only one other butt on this planet I like: Koppen's and my wife's."

UFA Nick Hardwick, Chargers: San Diego has been negotiating with the 30-year-old Hardwick. Has been the starter since 2004. The Chargers may look to shore up its line before addressing Vincent Jackson and their receivers.

Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin: Had a great Combine, with 32 reps on the bench press, and G.M. Ted Thompson got an up-close look at him at Wisconsin's pro day. As noted here, the guard Zeitler may fit best as a center in the pros.

Peter Konz, Wisconsin: Did not participate in Wisconsin's pro day due to his dislocated ankle. Plans on working out for teams in early April and said his ankle is at "90 percent." Still remains the top get at center in the draft.

Ben Jones, Georgia: If the Packers opt to address defense early in the draft, Jones is one possibility. Played in Georgia's no-huddle offense. Smart player but not physically overwhelming.

Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State: Green Bay covets versatility along the offensive line. Multi-tasking is often required from linemen at camp. At Mississippi State, Saulsberry played all three positions. A mid-round option.

(Note: Leading up to free agency, we're taking a look at one issue facing each position.)

Nice job on this post pbmax.

Fritz
03-15-2012, 06:45 PM
If you read what Tom Brady's saying here, I think you find that he's admitting there's a third butt out there that he enjoys:

"There's only one other butt on this planet I like: Koppen's and my wife's."

pbmax
03-15-2012, 06:46 PM
McGinn from February 26th on Well's contract and Myers comparison:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-explore-options-at-center-5j4beb4-140520603.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

McGinn from February 25th on Center options (both FA and intra-team):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-could-shift-at-center-634aqdl-140399503.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Asked to rank the available centers on a 1-to-10 basis last week, an AFC personnel director gave Houston's Chris Myers an 8; Wells and Koppen 7s; Baltimore's Matt Birk, San Diego's Nick Hardwick, Oakland's Samson Satele and Kansas City's Casey Wiegmann 6s; New England's Dan Connolly, Baltimore's Andre Gurode and Cincinnati's Mike McGlynn 5s; and Atlanta's Todd McClure, Washington's Will Montgomery and Indianapolis' Jeff Saturday 4s.

Upnorth
03-15-2012, 06:53 PM

I see what you did there, and I like it!

pbmax
03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/21/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-centers/

1) Chris Myers, Houston Texans

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 30

2011 Grade: +32.6

Key Stat: No team ran off their center more this year than the Texans, 180 times at 4.1 yards per carry.

Behind the Numbers: Myers has played in the shadow of Nick Mangold and Matt Birk for the last two seasons, but with both struggling through injury and Myers raising his game against nose tackles, the Houston starter rose to the top in his contract season to take our first team All-Pro start at center. Myers’ is a perfect fit for the Texans’ zone scheme, but his improvement against nose tackles this season–his run blocking grade was +8.9 against teams who operate some sort of a 3-4 defense compared to -1.5 last season–may just pique the interest of teams running other schemes.

pbmax
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I see what you did there, and I like it!

I would prefer Yoop's story if, like Jenkins, it started with "Coming off a Super Bowl victory ..."

Upnorth
03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I would prefer Yoop's story if, like Jenkins, it started with "Coming off a Super Bowl victory ..."

I see what you did there, and it has filled me with questions of what might have been...

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Ì`m trying to see what you mean there.

TheRaven
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Nice post, and only confirms to me that Wells is the best option of the bunch for our offense. As long as the price is reasonable and basically in line with what Myers can command, why not bring back the guy that has proven he knows our system and our whole offense respects and trusts? Myers is the best of that other bunch and he is barely younger than Wells, so why change just to do so?

Upnorth
03-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Ì`m trying to see what you mean there.

PB is reminding us all that our expectations were destroyed last year. If we were all jelly beans he would be the crappy hard candy that snuck in from grandma's bowl covered in pocket lint! (JK PB)

So yeah, Wells would be a big loss that might go unnoticed much like CJ last year.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
PB is reminding us all that our expectations were destroyed last year. If we were all jelly beans he would be the crappy hard candy that snuck in from grandma's bowl covered in pocket lint! (JK PB)

So yeah, Wells would be a big loss that might go unnoticed much like CJ last year.

CJ .... is who (É)

Upnorth
03-16-2012, 10:02 AM
CJ .... is who (É)

Cullen Jenkins
DE in our superbowl winning year then signed with Philly last year during FA (free agency) and had an underwhelming year. Many used this to discount his impact on the packer roster as pointed out by yooper (Denveryooper).

Does this help answer the question?

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Cullen Jenkins
DE in our superbowl winning year then signed with Philly last year during FA (free agency) and had an underwhelming year. Many used this to discount his impact on the packer roster as pointed out by yooper (Denveryooper).

Does this help answer the question?

Thanks Upnorth. Clear as mud now. (-:

RE: Cullen Jenkins maybe we should consider this:

IMO, it takes time for a player to aclimatize to a different team, the community and get familiar and comfortable with the new team's system. This is a transition (judged negative as it was) that may not factor realistically in terms of analysis and what Cullen Jenkins may have 'in fact' meant for our pass rush if we had retained him.

The question might be:

After this move by Cullen Jenkins did he go into a sudden decline?

TheRaven
03-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I believe Jenkins was a solid player in a replaceable position (DEs are less valued in 3-4 schemes, not to say they are not important).

Wells is a good player in a leadership role on a position that protects and drives the best offense in the league.

Being able to step in and lead a group in a zone blocking scheme is more difficult to replace than a DE in a 3-4 scheme. Besides the fact that Wells ranks higher in terms of quality against his peers than Jenkins does against his.

In a perfect world, it would have been great to retain Jenkins. In a realistic world, it was the right move to let him go, even before taking into account his 'underwhelming' 2011 campaign. I don't know if I can say the same for Wells though.

denverYooper
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
After commenting on the Titans' Wellsphilia, McGinn has this insight (https://twitter.com/#!/BobMcGinn/status/180689158329745408) today

Long, deep friendship between Mike Reinfeldt and Ted Thompson could be factor with Wells. Reinfeldt well aware how important Wells is to GB.

denverYooper
03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
We can break out the girlfriend analogies again:

MR: "Ted, so are you and Scotty on the outs?"
TT: "Hey Mike, yeah, well, uh, it's complicated"
MR: "Because I was thinking about maybe seeing if he'd like to go get some ice cream... You know... just as friends"
TT: "Sure, uh, I suppose that would be alright. I'm going to be honest though, I still have feelings for him"
MR: "I understand buddy. We're just going to get a little snack but only so I can talk you up to him"

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
I believe Jenkins was a solid player in a replaceable position (DEs are less valued in 3-4 schemes, not to say they are not important).

Wells is a good player in a leadership role on a position that protects and drives the best offense in the league.

Being able to step in and lead a group in a zone blocking scheme is more difficult to replace than a DE in a 3-4 scheme. Besides the fact that Wells ranks higher in terms of quality against his peers than Jenkins does against his.

In a perfect world, it would have been great to retain Jenkins. In a realistic world, it was the right move to let him go, even before taking into account his 'underwhelming' 2011 campaign. I don't know if I can say the same for Wells though.

I understand completely your point of view here RE: The loss of DL Cullen Jenkins in a 3-4 front VS the appearing immenant loss of C Scott Wells as he established himself on our offense.

The loss of Scott Wells if that happens? Is a loss of concern that we have to trust TT has a plan to compensate his coachs with. As a packer fan I don't see us returning to the Super Bowl next season. There is too much to mend. Ted Thompson must maintain some room in his CAP management. He cannot afford Scott Wells or he underestimated his market value in terms of his prior negotiations with this player. Maybe Scott Wells is hell bent to get out of Green Bay? Maybe his pride is bent?

Fritz
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
After commenting on the Titans' Wellsphilia, McGinn has this insight (https://twitter.com/#!/BobMcGinn/status/180689158329745408) today

I hope McGinn has to give back some of his pay for pusblishing comments like this.

"Hey, Ted, I know that this is a cut throat league, and there are only 32 NFL GM jobs in the whole world, and if I don't perform and produce a winner I'll be out of a job quicker than the time it takes for a rabbitt to copulate, and I know we're in the market for a center and we have some cap room, but you're my friend so honest, I won't sign Scott Wells. I know you need him up in Green Bay."

Huh?

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I hope McGinn has to give back some of his pay for pusblishing comments like this.

"Hey, Ted, I know that this is a cut throat league, and there are only 32 NFL GM jobs in the whole world, and if I don't perform and produce a winner I'll be out of a job quicker than the time it takes for a rabbitt to copulate, and I know we're in the market for a center and we have some cap room, but you're my friend so honest, I won't sign Scott Wells. I know you need him up in Green Bay."

Huh?

Really ...WOW! McGinn published that statement?

If so mmmm ahhhhh ........ W T _ !

sharpe1027
03-16-2012, 12:26 PM
If you read what Tom Brady's saying here, I think you find that he's admitting there's a third butt out there that he enjoys:

"There's only one other butt on this planet I like: Koppen's and my wife's."

There is an implied butt that has not yet been identified. Perhaps more troubling, he seems to believe that Koppen and his wife share a single butt.

denverYooper
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Huh?

"Bromance" is in these days.

Fritz
03-16-2012, 02:15 PM
No, he didn't say that exactly, Woody. I was responding to what McGinn did write. Click that link above and you'll see.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
No, he didn't say that exactly, Woody. I was responding to what McGinn did write. Click that link above and you'll see.

Ohh good for him. Because if that was 'in fact' his statement. I was thinking of inviting him to my school for techniques in inspirational writing style.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
In TT we TRUST.

Some of us say that with more conviction than others.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I was thinking of inviting him to my school for techniques in inspirational writing style.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7L2ShPVCvOI/TjwjiAkSyyI/AAAAAAAABwE/hgZO8Q4E2Dc/s1600/shortbus.jpg

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Scott. (-:

pbmax
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM

McGinn's Tweet is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen written.

Upnorth
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM

How many people (including me) are on your ignore list on this site?

MJZiggy
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Now you know why I don't follow him.

pbmax
03-16-2012, 05:27 PM
How many people (including me) are on your ignore list on this site?

None. It was that dumb. :)

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Now you know why I don't follow him.

You found 'the EXIT' MJ. (-;

Old School
03-16-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/143000285.html

Wells to ST Louis

pbmax
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
The other dumb conclusion reached today was that Holmgren received some home cooking on the Hasselback trade in 2000. Wolf and Sherman took Seattle's 10th pick in a swap with the 17th Packer position rather than accept the Dolphins 26th pick outright. Point wise, it cost the Packers. The 26th pick outright was worth more on the chart.

But no one asks whether 17 and 26 could get them back into the top ten because Sherman wanted a pass rusher in the worst way. So bad that he settled for Jamal Reynolds.

Not to mention that the writeup failed the mention the Seahawks 3rd round pick and the Packers 7th that were swapped.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/143000285.html

Wells to ST Louis

Nice job. You scooped me. We knew he was gone. I'll look for something on PFT.Com.

smuggler
03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Came by to deliver the news on Wells, but I see it's already been reported. I wish we could restructure some folks so our current cap space was more than $6.5 million, or whatever it is. Too bad we had to so grossly overpay for Hawk.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Came by to deliver the news on Wells, but I see it's already been reported. I wish we could restructure some folks so our current cap space was more than $6.5 million, or whatever it is. Too bad we had to so grossly overpay for Hawk.

Yup. Hawk no Pro Bowl and picked in Round one #5. What was Scott Wells? A 7th rounder? Scott Wells a Pro Bowler and known as the best player on our OL. It will be interesting to learn his contract terms.

Good Bye Scott Wells. Good LUCK Scott Wells.

pittstang5
03-16-2012, 07:14 PM
This will suck if we go into camp without a veteran center. EDS sucks and doesn't count.

I'm just really curious if Wells didn't want to come back or if TT didn't want Wells back. I guess we'll know more once the numbers come out.

Upnorth
03-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Awwwww crap.

woodbuck27
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
This will suck if we go into camp without a veteran center. EDS sucks and doesn't count.

I'm just really curious if Wells didn't want to come back or if TT didn't want Wells back. I guess we'll know more once the numbers come out.

Wells either knew he'd get more money by moving or he was pissed off or a combination of both. Thyat statement is not meant as any slam on Ted Thompson. TT has a job to do the best way he can.

pittstang5
03-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Wells either knew he'd get more money by moving or he was pissed off or a combination of both. Thyat statement is not meant as any slam on Ted Thompson. TT has a job to do the best way he can.

I just wish the numbers would have been published. That should answer some questions.

Bretsky
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
FEAR THE RAMS !!!!!!!!

Upnorth
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
FEAR THE RAMS !!!!!!!!

Once their QB can throw more than 10 yrds I might. I used to be okay with the Rams, now I hate them! Who's up for some rack of Lamb!

Rutnstrut
03-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Why not slam TT, this a clear fuck up on his part. Even a quality vet free agent center will not be as good his first year in the system. When you have good O-lineman you don't fuck with it.

MJZiggy
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Why not slam TT, this a clear fuck up on his part. Even a quality vet free agent center will not be as good his first year in the system. When you have good O-lineman you don't fuck with it.

The player has a say too and from what I hear Wells had a chip on his shoulder with the team. I think he may have wanted to go and I'm not sure TT had any say in the matter.

Teamcheez1
03-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I wonder what TT's startegy is on this one. Chris Myers, who was rumored to be on our radar screen, just re-upped with the Texans.

ND72
03-16-2012, 10:45 PM
ESPN Madison, "in talking briefly to Wells' agent, he implied that Wells had no interest in returning to Green Bay no matter what amount they offered."

pittstang5
03-16-2012, 11:01 PM
ESPN Madison, "in talking briefly to Wells' agent, he implied that Wells had no interest in returning to Green Bay no matter what amount they offered."

Had a feeling that might be the case. Can he still be pissed about two years ago and the Spitz thing? well, whatever, it's done, time to move. We need someone now.

Rutnstrut
03-16-2012, 11:16 PM

UMM, what the hell else would he say after just inking a nice contract with another team. Truth is TT should have wrapped this up last year, this will hurt this offense a lot.

smuggler
03-16-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm sure the offense will take a hit from this in the passing game in the short term. In the running game, we stand to improve at least slightly. Also, Wells had only the 2nd best season by our linemen last year. Bulaga had the best season. He's the #2 ranked RT in the league. Sitton was hurt, but he's a top-5 guard in the league.

E - The Packers are probably in-line for a 4th round comp pick from the Wells signing.

Bretsky
03-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Wells signed a four-year, $24 million deal with $13 million guaranteed, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

IMO.....too much to give to Wells.

I think they could get Langford for that but da stud OLB from da Raiders will go for more.

If they could just fill one hold in FA they may have more flexibility to draft the best C in the draft next month w/o leaving a gaping hole at DE or OLB after round one

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Wells signed a four-year, $24 million deal with $13 million guaranteed, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

I think they could get Langford for that but da stud OLB from da Raiders will go for more.

If they could just fill one hold in FA they may have more flexibility to draft the best C in the draft next month w/o leaving a gaping hole at DE or OLB after round one

Center Chris Myers will receive $14 million fully guaranteed on the $25 million contract over four years for resigning with the Houston Texans.

Scott Wells agent got him virtually the same money as Chris Myers signed for. If each player lives through their contract each will receive about $6 M$. Wells at $6.0 and Myers at $6.25 M$ / year.

pittstang5
03-17-2012, 08:34 AM

As much as I'd like to see TT sign someone who could help on the defense, Langford, IMO, is not the ultimate answer. From what I've learned, he's solid against the run, but doesn't produce much in the pass rush area. This defense NEEDS more pressure on the quarterback.

Even with that said, I'd still like TT to sign Langford, but definitely not at what you are suggesting (avg. 6 mil per year). He'd probably be an upgrade over Wilson, Green and the other slackers (can't think of them right now) that have been put out there. If TT can get him cheap, I'm all for it, but why overpay for someone who doesn't bring all that much more than what you already have.

MJZiggy
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
UMM, what the hell else would he say after just inking a nice contract with another team. Truth is TT should have wrapped this up last year, this will hurt this offense a lot.
That he was unhappy with the Spitz thing and wanted out was reported long before free agency ever started. You can't just "wrap up" someone who doesn't want to be wrapped.

wist43
03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't say we had a good OL... injuries having something to do with that; but Rodgers certainly made these guys look better than they were b/c he got rid of the ball in 0.00374 seconds - if he held it any longer than that, his life was very likely at risk. GB has, year-in, year-out put average-to-poor OL's on the field. Wells improved over the past few years, but I always wanted to replace him. I simply want to get bigger inside. Wells was great in space and made all the calls, but he's not irreplacable.

Overall OL depth is a major issue now too I think... Newhouse is our starting LT, Dietrich-Smith is our starting C, and Dominguez is the only depth. I don't expect anything from Sherrod in '12, and he may very well be a bust - he looked that bad before he got hurt.

TT certainly has some holes to plug, and messes to clean up... knowing TT though, none of us can expect any help coming via FA. We're so much worse on defense that if TT did stick a crow bar in his wallet, I'd want it to be for a front seven guy on defense.

Bretsky
03-17-2012, 10:51 AM
As much as I'd like to see TT sign someone who could help on the defense, Langford, IMO, is not the ultimate answer. From what I've learned, he's solid against the run, but doesn't produce much in the pass rush area. This defense NEEDS more pressure on the quarterback.

Even with that said, I'd still like TT to sign Langford, but definitely not at what you are suggesting (avg. 6 mil per year). He'd probably be an upgrade over Wilson, Green and the other slackers (can't think of them right now) that have been put out there. If TT can get him cheap, I'm all for it, but why overpay for someone who doesn't bring all that much more than what you already have.

you are right; my wording was bad but I would not be paying 6MIL per year for Langford cuz he's not worth that much

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 10:52 AM
The player has a say too and from what I hear Wells had a chip on his shoulder with the team. I think he may have wanted to go and I'm not sure TT had any say in the matter.

Wells had a chip on his shoulder? MJZiggy heard that somewhere?? **

Why didn't MM see it MJ?

Why didn't fellow offensive lineman Lang see it MJ?

** Where did you hear that MJZiggy? Source please. Thanks MJ.

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM

We have to get more information Rutnstrut. We do not know exactly why he seemed so hell bent on leaving Green Bay when reports on him are so positive by MM and Lang. He was rated as our best man on the OL. Therefore he was appreciated for his work ethic....his results in games. he was continually improving as well.

Why did he go to the St. Louis Rams? He did get about $6 M$ more than what TT offered him over a 4 yr. contract tenure. Should we slam TT for coming in a bit light with his contract offer.TT manages the Packer purse. TT knows what he has as his agenda of priorities.

We need more to analyze this. We won't get anything out of the GM's mouth that will add alot of light on this loss of a player that the Packers developed and IMO as a Pro Bowler should have retained.

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 11:09 AM
you are right; my wording was bad but I would not be paying 6MIL per year for Langford cuz he's not worth that much

Kendall Langford went to the St. Louis Rams.They're busy.

4 Yr. $24 M...$12 M guranteed.

MJZiggy
03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Wells had a chip on his shoulder? MJZiggy heard that somewhere?? **

Why didn't MM see it MJ?

Why didn't fellow offensive lineman Lang see it MJ?

** Where did you hear that MJZiggy? Source please. Thanks MJ.

*Sigh*.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-wells-likely-will-part-eyes-jq48tpp-139774733.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"
Having dealt with Wells for eight years, this much is true about him: he has a long memory.
Wells hasn’t forgotten that the Packers cut him at the end of his first training camp.
More critically, he hasn’t forgotten how Mike McCarthy and Thompson cast him aside after three years as their starting center and replaced him with Jason Spitz in 2009.
Sources also said the Packers at the time were looking to trade Wells, an immensely proud player they knew to be furious about his demotion."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/wells-packers-could-be-headed-for-divorce/
"Wells and the Packers disagree on the value of the undersized veteran and Wells doesn’t sound happy about it. Wells wants a top-five center’s contract. McGinn also describes a player with a long memory that remembers being benched for Jason Spitz (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3715/jason-spitz) in 2009 and dangled on the trade market."

Yes, Woodbuck. I heard it somewhere. Wells had no intention on making this easy for the Packers and if his deal was comparable to what the Packers were offering, it pretty much explains why he left, doesn't it?

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 11:49 AM
*Sigh*.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-wells-likely-will-part-eyes-jq48tpp-139774733.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"
Having dealt with Wells for eight years, this much is true about him: he has a long memory.
Wells hasn’t forgotten that the Packers cut him at the end of his first training camp.
More critically, he hasn’t forgotten how Mike McCarthy and Thompson cast him aside after three years as their starting center and replaced him with Jason Spitz in 2009.
Sources also said the Packers at the time were looking to trade Wells, an immensely proud player they knew to be furious about his demotion."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/wells-packers-could-be-headed-for-divorce/
"Wells and the Packers disagree on the value of the undersized veteran and Wells doesn’t sound happy about it. Wells wants a top-five center’s contract. McGinn also describes a player with a long memory that remembers being benched for Jason Spitz (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3715/jason-spitz) in 2009 and dangled on the trade market."

Yes, Woodbuck. I heard it somewhere. Wells had no intention on making this easy for the Packers and if his deal was comparable to what the Packers were offering, it pretty much explains why he left, doesn't it?

MJZiggy ...That sigh...disrespect or boredom?

Are you confident of the facts and those sources as the TRUTH?

MJ ... Wells did get about $6 M$ more than what TT offered him over a 4 yr. contract tenure. That's NOT chump change.

This may be his last contract in the NFL.

Didn't he deserve to get as much money as he deserved given his progress and recognition as a Pro Bowler in Green Bay by our teams GM?

If your were him MJ. What would you have done? How would you have reacted to what might be judged 'a low ball offer' ?

Scott Campbell
03-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Woody sure hates Ted.

pittstang5
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Kendall Langford went to the St. Louis Rams.They're busy.

4 Yr. $24 M...$12 M guranteed.

To me, that is way too much for a run stuffer and for what the Packers need. If he was known for putting some pressure on the QB, that'd be a good deal. With alot of teams airing it out and our aging and questionable secondary, we need pass rush help.

Bretsky
03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Gotta agree Pitt; for those who hate free agents what Wells got and Langford got are two clear examples of why some of the better GM's don't play much. If you are going to overpay, or raise the market bar....you do it with somebody who excels.

If Wells and Langford are getting 6MIL a year it's scary what a legit pass rushing OLB will get

Cleft Crusty
03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
To me, that is way too much for a run stuffer and for what the Packers need. If he was known for putting some pressure on the QB, that'd be a good deal. With alot of teams airing it out and our aging and questionable secondary, we need pass rush help.

I'll give you some credit for realizing the Packers need pass rush help. But I might as well give you credit for knowing your nose is attached to your face. As to the 'aging' secondary, what the hell are you talking about? The Packers have one old corner, but the rest of the secondary is extremely young - and stands to get younger if House gets in the lineup as expected, and a top draft pick and rookie FA joins the squad. The Packers could likely end up with the youngest secondary in the league this year.

Joemailman
03-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Like in 2006 when he let an outstanding C like Mike Flanagan leave in free agency, and replaced him with a 7th round pick named Scott Wells? This was a clear fuckup on his part.

smuggler
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I agree that letting Wells walk is probably the right call that that price. I think the Packers owe him a thank you for playing so well despite his distaste for the management. We get our 4th round comp pick in next year's draft, and we get a roster spot for a developing player, and whoever we use as center will probably play at least slightly worse than Wells.

Joemailman
03-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Good chance that Wells' replacement won't be as good as Wells. However, C is one position where it's relatively easy to provide some help to an average player when needed.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Good chance that Wells' replacement won't be as good as Wells. However, C is one position where it's relatively easy to provide some help to an average player when needed.

No it's really not, and since you seem to think it's such an easy position to fill. Who would you put in there and not loose any ground?

Joemailman
03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
No it's really not, and since you seem to think it's such an easy position to fill. Who would you put in there and not loose any ground?

You're dreaming if you think the Packers are going to keep every outstanding player in the next few years. TT will have to prioritize, and the C position ain't at the top.

packrulz
03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Wells worked his ass off and was rarely hurt but his run blocking sucked, how many times have we seen ARod hand off to Grant or Starks and they run into a wall. I'd like to find a center that can open a hole in the running game.

pbmax
03-17-2012, 07:48 PM
That he was unhappy with the Spitz thing and wanted out was reported long before free agency ever started. You can't just "wrap up" someone who doesn't want to be wrapped.

It also might explain why Wells signed for $6 mil/year when the Packers offer was between 5 and 6 per. Wells ask was for $7.5/yr and neither he, nor any other center have gotten that money.

To be fair, Wells contract, if fully realized and all incentives and escalators are hit, can get up to 25.5 over 6 years.

He will be able to be replaced easily, but the worry is that it might take a year to find the guy.

pbmax
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
MJZiggy ...That sigh...disrespect or boredom?

Are you confident of the facts and those sources as the TRUTH?

MJ ... Wells did get about $6 M$ more than what TT offered him over a 4 yr. contract tenure. That's NOT chump change.

This may be his last contract in the NFL.

Didn't he deserve to get as much money as he deserved given his progress and recognition as a Pro Bowler in Green Bay by our teams GM?

If your were him MJ. What would you have done? How would you have reacted to what might be judged 'a low ball offer' ?

Well, you could choose to believe the words of the man's agent as well. But what I find interesting is that despite a sourced article and attributed quotes from the players agent you express doubt that this reveals the truth.

Can you please point to the sources you trust that cause you to believe otherwise?

pbmax
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM

Probably one of the three of four lineman that will be on the camp roster from the 5th, 6th or 7th round in the last 3 years. Just like Wells became center in Year 2 as a 7th round pick.

"Hello, my name is Scott Wells and though you cannot see me behind this podium, I am very excited to be here in St. Louis and feel that I bring a wealth of experience and talent to a young and exciting team. My time with the Packers was a valuable learning experience and I will always treasure my teammates, coaches and experience there. The culmination of my development resulted in a Super Bowl win and a record breaking season for our offense. My new teammates and I should benefit from those experiences, starting as soon as the offseason begins.

Plus, I look forward to a year of uncertainty with the DC being possibly suspended for his multi-year bounty system.

Patler
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
In 2009, after Spitz was named the starter, most on here would have been quite satisfied if Wells had been traded for a 4th or 5th round draft pick. As it turned out, with Spitz getting injured, the Packers got three more years out of Wells and will still get a 4th or 5th for him in compensation anyway.

I have brought this up before, but it bears remembering. A few years ago, Philbin(?) was asked if the Packers could commit to an undersized guy like Wells as the starter. Philbin said Wells was smart and technically precise, but they realized if he remained the starter there were things they couldn't ask him to do. He said the answer was to change the blocking schemes on some plays so Wells wouldn't be asked to do things he didn't do very well because of his size, and would be given help. All of a sudden, after that, Wells "became one of the better centers". But, to do so had the Packers become more limited, more predictable, less flexible?

Hopefully, losing Wells will be an opportunity for them to become better in the long run with a more versatile player at center, even if they suffer through a transition year or two in which the position is less experienced. Maybe they will get a player who can be asked to do the things that Wells was not asked to do the last few years.

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 10:19 PM
*Sigh*.

"

OK MJZiggy you asked for it so here it comes....

MJ I read yesterday that you didn't read Bob McGinn articles, that you were criticle of that writer. Yet you use him as a source to back up some argument on Scott Wells decision to test the FA market and contract with the St. Louis Rams. Your position is that Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder...

RE: Scott Wells

"from what I hear Wells had a chip on his shoulder with the team" MJZiggy

"I think he may have wanted to go and I'm not sure TT had any say in the matter " MJZiggy

Doesn't Ted Thompson talk to the Packer negotiator for player contracts Russ Ball and give direction in terms of need to keep a certain packer player? I believe Scott Wells upcoming FA status was discussed between these two men and Ted Thompson certainly had a strong part in Scott Wells decision to stay in Green Bay or sell his Pro bowl status and recognized leadership on our OL elsewhere.

You argue that Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder.

I read that he if anything given his size, he overachieved. He never complained about his contract as he didn't ask for a renegotiation. He became more profficient as our center from 3 games into the 2009 season as our starting center and improving at his position in 2010. Last season as a valued leader on our team in terms of talent and attitude; as expressed by a fellow player on our OL (TJ Lang). Scott Wells was awarded recognition as a top NFL center garnering a PRO BOWL selection.

If Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder? He surely demonstrated that that chip translated into solid support for our team. How many of us stand up to 'the Nay Sayers' and excell? Scott Wells certainly did so as a Green Bay Packer.

What was his reward for all that from our GM? All the good Scott Wellls meant to the success of our offense?

Zippo in terms of his value to himself.

It may be declared by many Packer fans that 'in fact'. Given his market value that Ted Thompson and Packer negotiater Russ Ball 'low balled' Scott Wells. It's that or Ted Thompson undervalued Scott Wells in his estimation of Wells market Value. If Ted Thompson is on top of it all that's inconcievable that he could make such a low offer to Wells and hope to keep him.

Does that call into question Ted Thompson's compassion or caring nature? Would a negative appraisal there as the GREEN BAY PACKER GM be acceptable to you MJ?

"if his deal was comparable to what the Packers were offering, it pretty much explains why he left, doesn't it?" MJZiggy

In your estimation the Packer deal (what deal?) was comparable to what he contracted in St. Loius??

Please MJZiggy. Go back and do your homework. By my estimation the contract he signed for 4 years was as much as $6 Million$ higher than Ted Thompson's offer. Again that isn't chump change and may be the last contract he'll get in the NFL.

Scott Wells has a wife and family. He has a solid reputation as a Green Bay Packer of distinction and value as a leader and mentor. Scott Wells was graded as our best OL. Scott Wells is a Pro Bowler.

Frankly MJZiggy your argument is a wash. Your source isn't even a writer you respect. Do I need to prove that?

Do you want to be judged as a hypocrite? I hope not. I believe that your simply a tad to defensive of our esteemed Packer GM, Ted Thompson. Try to get real MJ. (-:

woodbuck27
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
In 2009, after Spitz was named the starter, most on here would have been quite satisfied if Wells had been traded for a 4th or 5th round draft pick. As it turned out, with Spitz getting injured, the Packers got three more years out of Wells and will still get a 4th or 5th for him in compensation anyway.

I have brought this up before, but it bears remembering. A few years ago, Philbin(?) was asked if the Packers could commit to an undersized guy like Wells as the starter. Philbin said Wells was smart and technically precise, but they realized if he remained the starter there were things they couldn't ask him to do. He said the answer was to change the blocking schemes on some plays so Wells wouldn't be asked to do things he didn't do very well because of his size, and would be given help. All of a sudden, after that, Wells "became one of the better centers". But, to do so had the Packers become more limited, more predictable, less flexible?

Hopefully, losing Wells will be an opportunity for them to become better in the long run with a more versatile player at center, even if they suffer through a transition year or two in which the position is less experienced. Maybe they will get a player who can be asked to do the things that Wells was not asked to do the last few years.

Holy smokes ! The second leading member here of the Ted Thompson is GOD fan club. Wait ... maybe your just the Treasurer Patler with MJZiggy leading the Happy Gang as El Presidente.

" A few years ago, Philbin(?) was asked if the Packers could commit to an undersized guy like Wells as the starter. Philbin said Wells was smart and technically precise, but they realized if he remained the starter there were things they couldn't ask him to do. He said the answer was to change the blocking schemes on some plays so Wells wouldn't be asked to do things he didn't do very well because of his size, and would be given help. All of a sudden, after that, Wells "became one of the better centers". But, to do so had the Packers become more limited, more predictable, less flexible? " Patler

had the Packers become more limited, more predictable, less flexible? " Patler

No Patler. Not even a decent try man.

Are you Irish? Have you been into ' the hootch ' all day?

The Green Bay Packers last season when Scott Wells became a Pro Bowler as OUR Center had the Number ONE Offense in the NFL. Are you suggesting that without Scott Wells we will have better than the Number One Offense in the NFL?

or

Are we grading up into some other SUPER STATUS TEAM League?

Patler
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
...and how has that running game gone the last few years? Perhaps that is the area that can improve???
The record setting offense doesn't mean everyone on offense is the best possible at their position.

Lurker64
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm honestly wondering if Lang could snap, he seems like he would be a pretty good center if he can (his punch is fantastic), and LG is an easier position to fill in the draft than C.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 12:11 AM
...and how has that running game gone the last few years? Perhaps that is the area that can improve???
The record setting offense doesn't mean everyone on offense is the best possible at their position.

Hi Patler: With all respect I submit that it's been a rather long day .. tis St. Paddy's and so I bid you a fond goodnight and a promise I'll return to tis discussion at a better time for meself... thanks... and have a pleasant night Sir.

Joemailman
03-18-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm honestly wondering if Lang could snap, he seems like he would be a pretty good center if he can (his punch is fantastic), and LG is an easier position to fill in the draft than C.

I've wondered the same thing. Actually, last year when EDS was starting at LG because Lang had to be moved temporarily to RT, Lang was taking some snaps at practice at C. This move would not surprise me at all if it happened.

smuggler
03-18-2012, 01:15 AM
I'd prefer to keep Lang at guard, because he played pretty well there. But, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Patler
03-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi Patler: With all respect I submit that it's been a rather long day .. tis St. Paddy's and so I bid you a fond goodnight and a promise I'll return to tis discussion at a better time for meself... thanks... and have a pleasant night Sir.

I won't return to it. I'm done talking about Wells with this reply. I said all season that I hoped they could bring him back, because they didn't have an obvious replacement. But, they are in a situation now of not having the cap freedom to keep anybody and everybody they want to. Some tough decisions have to be made.

Wells was a good player for GB, but he wasn't unique or special. I would like to have seen him back at a reasonable price for a few more seasons. I didn't work out. Not a big deal. I don't really care.

Patler
03-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Where the next starting center comes from has a lot of aspects to it:

- Will they sign a proven veteran?
- Will they draft a plausible starter?
- Is Sampson Genus an option or not? Reports are all over the place.
- Is EDS more capable as a center or guard?
- Can Lang play the position or not?
- Will Sherrod be ready physically at the start of the season, or at all in 2012?
- If ready, can Sherrod start at guard or tackle?
- Are there two capable starting tackles, allowing Bulaga to play LG with Lang at center?

From now to opening week will be very interesting. The line might change only a little, with just a player stepping in for Wells (EDS, Genus, FA, draftee). Or, the line might change a lot, with different starters at LG, center and RT.

I enjoy following the off season moves and changes.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Holy smokes ! The second leading member here of the Ted Thompson is GOD fan club.

He really, really hates Ted.

I sense another classic meltdown coming on.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Does that call into question Ted Thompson's compassion or caring nature?

So now Ted needs to be more compassionate and caring?????

I always loved Woody's ability to see into Ted's soul. :-P

Pugger
03-18-2012, 08:02 AM
This happens every offseason. We lose a couple of players to FA and some fans get pissed because Ted stays on the sidelines.

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
OK MJZiggy you asked for it so here it comes....

MJ I read yesterday that you didn't read Bob McGinn articles, that you were criticle of that writer. Yet you use him as a source to back up some argument on Scott Wells decision to test the FA market and contract with the St. Louis Rams. Your position is that Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder...

RE: Scott Wells

"from what I hear Wells had a chip on his shoulder with the team" MJZiggy

"I think he may have wanted to go and I'm not sure TT had any say in the matter " MJZiggy

Doesn't Ted Thompson talk to the Packer negotiator for player contracts Russ Ball and give direction in terms of need to keep a certain packer player? I believe Scott Wells upcoming FA status was discussed between these two men and Ted Thompson certainly had a strong part in Scott Wells decision to stay in Green Bay or sell his Pro bowl status and recognized leadership on our OL elsewhere.

You argue that Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder.

I read that he if anything given his size, he overachieved. He never complained about his contract as he didn't ask for a renegotiation. He became more profficient as our center from 3 games into the 2009 season as our starting center and improving at his position in 2010. Last season as a valued leader on our team in terms of talent and attitude; as expressed by a fellow player on our OL (TJ Lang). Scott Wells was awarded recognition as a top NFL center garnering a PRO BOWL selection.

If Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder? He surely demonstrated that that chip translated into solid support for our team. How many of us stand up to 'the Nay Sayers' and excell? Scott Wells certainly did so as a Green Bay Packer.

What was his reward for all that from our GM? All the good Scott Wellls meant to the success of our offense?

Zippo in terms of his value to himself.

It may be declared by many Packer fans that 'in fact'. Given his market value that Ted Thompson and Packer negotiater Russ Ball 'low balled' Scott Wells. It's that or Ted Thompson undervalued Scott Wells in his estimation of Wells market Value. If Ted Thompson is on top of it all that's inconcievable that he could make such a low offer to Wells and hope to keep him.

Does that call into question Ted Thompson's compassion or caring nature? Would a negative appraisal there as the GREEN BAY PACKER GM be acceptable to you MJ?

"if his deal was comparable to what the Packers were offering, it pretty much explains why he left, doesn't it?" MJZiggy

In your estimation the Packer deal (what deal?) was comparable to what he contracted in St. Loius??

Please MJZiggy. Go back and do your homework. By my estimation the contract he signed for 4 years was as much as $6 Million$ higher than Ted Thompson's offer. Again that isn't chump change and may be the last contract he'll get in the NFL.

Scott Wells has a wife and family. He has a solid reputation as a Green Bay Packer of distinction and value as a leader and mentor. Scott Wells was graded as our best OL. Scott Wells is a Pro Bowler.

Frankly MJZiggy your argument is a wash. Your source isn't even a writer you respect. Do I need to prove that?

Do you want to be judged as a hypocrite? I hope not. I believe that your simply a tad to defensive of our esteemed Packer GM, Ted Thompson. Try to get real MJ. (-:

Just for clarification, and I can't think of any other reason, I said I don't FOLLOW McGinn. As on Twitter. I get the sense that neither do you, Wood. That doesn't mean that McGinn is not a source. I would like to see the proof you offer on the point though. Should be interesting. Secondly, you fail in your "destruction of my argument" to note that the information was also presented by PFT. A source that I like. Now, about those sources you were going to give me to show the logic false? The money isn't a valid argument. He was already gone before there was an offer on the table, was he not? You say the contract was AS MUCH AS $6 million more. If he wanted to be in GB as a Green Bay Packer "of distinction," would he not have gone back to Thompson and offered to let him match that deal? You say Wells "overperformed" for his size. Maybe now we get someone who doesn't have to overperform in order to play well. You really do hate Ted Thompson. He took your team to a Super Bowl and and a nearly undefeated season mostly because of team depth, yet you still can't admit that he might just have a clue about what he's doing. Like Patler, I am done talking about Wells. He is a Ram now.

Rutnstrut
03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
MJ, how about the other side of the argument? Why should Wells have had to go back to TT? By the time the Rams made the offer, TT had already showed he didn't give two shits about Wells returning. Everyone always talks about players having ego problems, TT has an enormous ego, and sometimes it hurts the team.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I won't return to it. I'm done talking about Wells with this reply. I said all season that I hoped they could bring him back, because they didn't have an obvious replacement. But, they are in a situation now of not having the cap freedom to keep anybody and everybody they want to. Some tough decisions have to be made.

Wells was a good player for GB, but he wasn't unique or special. I would like to have seen him back at a reasonable price for a few more seasons. I didn't work out. Not a big deal. I don't really care.

You and I are almost on the same page.

We saw a player that developed in a Packer jersey through certain ups and downs overcome adversity to become a Pro Bowl status player. He was a come to work, do not complain unnecessarily, get down to brass tacks and contribute your best to the team, lunch pail sort of guy. He was a standard bred style Green bay packer a 7th round draft pick of our own GM's doing and IMO undoing.

He could certainly have been retained and his attitude and status as a contributor NOY taken into question. We lost a good man. For any number of reasons and PC analysis that is the case in it's final result. Scott Wells was allowed to slip away while money is being used to keep far lesser players. CAP money was allocated to a TE that manu here disagreed with as anyome that money should be invested in. You cannot teach a man how to catch a football easily or at all.

I persoanlly as a fan hate that we lost Scott Wells. A a fan I expect Ted thompson to pull the strings to compensate my team properly for the loss of Scott Wells. As other members of the Packer roster wil view this result of losing Scott Wells in terms of the whole picture I'm positive that result will overall undermine OUR teams GM.

I'm writing here in regards to compensation for results.

Some Packer fan (here at Packerrats 'even') wants to make it about some possible time that Scott Wells got pissed over his handling by the Packer organization. Lost his temper or got pissed off !!!

Ohh Ohh ! What a sin against all things Green Bay Packer. Frick !!!

That really amazes me that anyone could ever condemn a man on that basis. Especially given the BIG picture and Scott Wells as a Packer and his certain positive role and contribution in our teams colors. Jheeessshh !! I will not swear !!!! I will not curse and how very much I want to. I want my Irish to land freely on the sillyhead of that Packer fan. I will not do that.

Patler. I respect your position not to debate this loss to our team. That's a wise decision for 'you and I'. I appreciate that.

Have a wonderful day...evening Patler.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
MJ, how about the other side of the argument? Why should Wells have had to go back to TT? By the time the Rams made the offer, TT had already showed he didn't give two shits about Wells returning. Everyone always talks about players having ego problems, TT has an enormous ego, and sometimes it hurts the team.

Clap ! Clap !! Clap !!! Clap !!!! ClaP !!!!!

AWESOME POST Rutnstut. A courageous post !

That sir is my nomination as the most TRUTHFUL and VALUABLE to all Packer fans that are paying real attention to our team in terms of being honest with themselves. A post that say's 'come on Packer fans...get the blinders off please'.

The most valuable post here at Packerrats since we were defeaed 'again' at Lambeau Field by the NY GIANTS. Who went on to win the Super Bowl 'again'.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Just for clarification, and I can't think of any other reason, I said I don't FOLLOW McGinn. As on Twitter. I get the sense that neither do you, Wood. That doesn't mean that McGinn is not a source. I would like to see the proof you offer on the point though. Should be interesting. Secondly, you fail in your "destruction of my argument" to note that the information was also presented by PFT. A source that I like. Now, about those sources you were going to give me to show the logic false? The money isn't a valid argument. He was already gone before there was an offer on the table, was he not? You say the contract was AS MUCH AS $6 million more. If he wanted to be in GB as a Green Bay Packer "of distinction," would he not have gone back to Thompson and offered to let him match that deal? You say Wells "overperformed" for his size. Maybe now we get someone who doesn't have to overperform in order to play well. You really do hate Ted Thompson. He took your team to a Super Bowl and and a nearly undefeated season mostly because of team depth, yet you still can't admit that he might just have a clue about what he's doing. Like Patler, I am done talking about Wells. He is a Ram now.

MJZiggy I am amazed that you would attempt to rebut me. I hope you prepared for the result of this little 'tete a tete' that we will or won't engage?

Are you ready to be exposed? I'm not sure I want to do that on Packerrats MJ? I'm too much of a gentleman.

Maybe you might be wise to go as Patler and I have. Drop the BS as you cannot in this instance defend Ted Thompson and hope to win your argument.

Do you need me to prove that?

I hope your wise to say 'NO'.

Let it go MJ. Your in 'too tough' on this one. I will concentrate on Scott Wells MJ !

NOT who your prejudiced against or not in terms of writing style and or content that agrees with you or not. I don't give a damn about your prejudices MJZiggy. I want nothing to do with your prejudices.

This is simple advice I offer you MJZiggy. This is genuine concern.

I'll reiterate that you call into question your integrity as a person to one day criticize a certain writer and the very next act as if all that writer supplys you (in terms as a source to make your argument) in his article is gospel.

Clearly to do so brands you negatively and therefore holds no water. It brands you negatively in certain negative ways. Is it worth it to you to risk exposure?

We will be concentrating on the relationship between Scott Wells and Ted Thompson that led to Scott Wells leaving the Green Bay Packers and NOT publishing to this forum your prejudices and hard core BS in terms of the Packer GM.

MJ Please let this go ! Don't force any further debate between you and i on TT and Scott Wells. That's beyond foolish. Let's go onto something more productive. More in favour of harmony and good will as Packer fans.

PLEASE MJ.

pbmax
03-18-2012, 10:36 AM

How can any Sports entity stay in business if they reward folks with a four year contract for what they previously did?

That is a recipe for not only overpayment, but also diminishing returns.

Scott Wells deserved a shot at taking the best contract he could negotiate. The Packers deserved to have the best performance per dollar in the league.

pbmax
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Sitton has launched a Twitter campaign to give the job to Lang. Probably so he doesn't have to do it. Lang would be a monster at that position, he's bigger than Sitton.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
This whole dust up has nothing to do with Wells.

Woody hates Ted. Always has. After the NFCCG loss to the Giants he even said that the Packers would never get to the Superbowl as long as Ted was our GM.

And this latest opinion just another in his long line of misguided rantings colored by that hatred.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Maybe you might be wise to go as Patler and I have. Drop the BS as you cannot in this instance defend Ted Thompson and hope to win your argument.

Woody claiming Patler as his latest victim. :razz:

LP
03-18-2012, 10:47 AM
He really, really hates Ted.

I sense another classic meltdown coming on.

Get your popcorn ready! It's gonna be AWESOME!!!!

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Get your popcorn ready! It's gonna be AWESOME!!!!

Originally Posted by Scott Campbell http://packerrats.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?p=657600#post657600)

"He really, really hates Ted.

I sense another classic meltdown coming on." Scott Campbell

NO Scott Campbell. You make it too clear in this post. It's your stinking attitude and low life 'no' manners that forced my position and 'YOU'.

In TRUTH it's this sort of blatant negative attitude towords me that unfortunately forcee a final decision on my part and 'YOU'. A 'final decision' as a Packerrat to place 'you on ignore' for the better good of this Packer forum.

Your not any longer worth my time Scott Campbell. I hiked you out of my life here at Packerrats for good reason. Your a crippling effect of negativity on Packerrats. That's 'a fact' of regret I feel for you. I always have felt that way.

To your accusation to me Scott campbell:

I have TRUTHFULLY stated this before. It's tiring to have to reiterate that:

'I DO NOT HATE Ted Thompson'. I DO NOT HATE.

Please ....take your pathetic BS Vs 'YOURSELF'. Where has that always gotten you Scott? That's right...............NOWHERE GOOD.

Have the best day 'YOU' can. (-:

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
You (Woody) really do hate Ted Thompson.

He sure does.

It's like a Jihad.

pbmax
03-18-2012, 11:15 AM

He shouldn't. If he got more money from the Saints he had enough reason to leave. Whether its enough (to relocate) for him is entirely a decision he has to make with his family.

But no one has given a solid reason that he is worth ANY of the extra money.

1. Pro Bowls are popularity contests that are often inaccurate and trail on field results. And as Patler mentioned above, the Packers may have adjusted their scheme to accommodate Wells.

2. Graded out as the best O lineman is nice. I remember the Packers giving Sitton this distinction after 2010, but I haven't seen this for 2011 yet. Perhaps this references McGinn's grades, in which case, its a nice achievement, but Bob doesn't have access to game tape. However, the true problems with this argument are that it is backward looking and that it is relative to the performance of the rest of the line. Does Wells deserve more money because two tackles were injured, Sitton was injured and had an off year and Lang had to rotate to a different position?

3. There is no viable option behind him. I admit, I have used this argument for others before. Its tempting. Tts hard to envision the current roster performing at the same level. But I have a chant I perform when faced with the "irreplaceable" player, to calm the spendthrift soul:

KGB, KGB, Cledtius, Hawk and Diggs. Brooks, Freeman, Johnson and someone named Chillar.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 11:23 AM

MJ just leave it here and don't go on and on about this decision that is your perogative:

Originally Posted by pbmax http://packerrats.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?p=657381#post657381)

MJZiggy: Your response to pbmax's post:

Now you know why I don't follow him. ... MJZiggy

Now be smart and PLEASE let go of this. Thanks. woodbuck27

Patler
03-18-2012, 11:34 AM
You and I are almost on the same page.

Nope. I don't think we are at all, since you have contradicted most of what I have written about it, and I disagree with most of what you have stated.

The summation of the situation for me is this: The coaching staff has wanted and has tried to replace Wells for most of his career. Now, along with TT, they have to replace him. I can't get too worried about that.

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
MJZiggy I am amazed that you would attempt to rebut me. I hope you prepared for the result of this little 'tete a tete' that we will or won't engage?

Are you ready to be exposed? I'm not sure I want to do that on Packerrats MJ? I'm too much of a gentleman.

Do you need me to prove that?

I hope your wise to say 'NO'.

PLEASE MJ.

Ah what the hell...It's the offseason. So, you have proof, prove it, Woody. I haven't seen a bit of proof about anything from you yet, so this should be good.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Nope. I don't think we are at all, since you have contradicted most of what I have written about it, and I disagree with most of what you have stated.

The summation of the situation for me is this: The coaching staff has wanted and has tried to replace Wells for most of his career. Now, along with TT, they have to replace him. I can't get too worried about that.

OK then I am completely wrong. We're NOT on the same page ... even close to that. Knowing you as i believe I do how could that ever be the case.

My next thought. Should I care?

I'm smart. I'll do 'a Scott Wells' ........................................>>>>

Have a nice day Patler.

smuggler
03-18-2012, 12:57 PM
We already know Thompson covets draft picks. If the coaching staff feels limited by Wells' skillset, and we get a 4th round comp pick for letting him leave AND we get a slight boost in the run game with a replacement level center, AND Wells is almost 32 and the replacement is younger...

It's too much for Thompson to pay Wells as a top center. You can disagree with the philosophy TT has, but you can't disagree with the move *within* his philosophy. I don't think it was personal/ego for Thompson, but just a business decision. For Wells, of course it was personal, but can you blame him?

Thompson hasn't had too much trouble working his magic on the O-line. If this were the defensive line, I'd be right there with you (and I was last season when TT made the mistake of letting Jenkins walk - a mistake in foresight that's highlighted in hindsight.) This move isn't a mistake.

Patler
03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Thompson hasn't had too much trouble working his magic on the O-line. If this were the defensive line, I'd be right there with you (and I was last season when TT made the mistake of letting Jenkins walk - a mistake in foresight that's highlighted in hindsight.) This move isn't a mistake.

You are hinting at a subject I started as a thread a couple years ago. Scouting staffs being better at evaluating some positions than others. TT and his cohorts seem great at picking WRs, pretty good with O-line. Not so good with D-line. Or is it just bad luck with injuries to Harrell and Neal making it look worse than it is?

I'm not sure where I place them with LBs and DBs. Hawk is a disppointment, in some ways, but Bishop and Matthews are great values where selected. Some of the younger ones look to be good values, too. Collins was a solid pick. Williams and SHields were great pickups for costing nothing. Burnett seems OK, but a lot of wasted picks for CBs.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Ah what the hell...It's the offseason. So, you have proof, prove it, Woody. I haven't seen a bit of proof about anything from you yet, so this should be good.

MJ are you off your 'hormone therapy' ? Your testosterone elevated?

Get off your 'high horse' MJ. I learned a long time ago to never argue with 'dead wrong'. Neither you nor I know all the facts RE: TT and Scott Wells.

To speculate on TT's position as Scott Wells entered Free Agency would be pure blunder bordering on the ridiculous; given TT's personality to reveal little that is on his mind to anyone. TT is for all intents and purposes reclusive,vague to silent in his manner of being the Packers GM.

Haven't you noticed 'this TRUTH' MJZiggy?

Again on the real matter of your angst. You use a source to back up your position that just yesterday you denounced as a writer.... that you refused to read.

Are you confused now about Bob McGinn? Is that writer back in your graces? Have you flip - floped on Bob McGinn?

Again let go of this. Stop !!!!!!!!!!!! You cannot win.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd call this one of Woody's mini tantrums. You guys really can do better than this.

easy cheesy
03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd call this one of Woody's mini tantrums. You guys really can do better than this.

Wow... just WOW... that vitriol just spewed forth by the "Woodmaster" towards Ziggy was absolutely over the top and uncalled for. Someone must be off their meds... or doubling the dose... or mixing it up with Drano, Anti Freeze and Boone's Farm.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow... just WOW... that vitriol just spewed forth by the "Woodmaster" towards Ziggy was absolutely over the top and uncalled for. Someone must be off their meds... or doubling the dose... or mixing it up with Drano, Anti Freeze and Boone's Farm.

" that vitriol just spewed forth by the "Woodmaster" towards Ziggy was absolutely over the top and uncalled for"

and Ladies and Gentleman...

That's a message from 'the peanut gallery'. (-:

easy cheesy
03-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Get off your 'high horse' MJ. I learned a long time ago to never argue with 'dead wrong'. Neither you nor I know all the facts RE: TT and Scott Wells.

To speculate on TT's position as Scott Wells entered Free Agency would be pure blunder bordering on the ridiculous; given TT's personality to reveal little that is on his mind to anyone. TT is for all intents and purposes reclusive,vague to silent in his manner of being the Packers GM.

Haven't you noticed 'this TRUTH' MJZiggy?

Again on the real matter of your angst. You use a source to back up your position that just yesterday you denounced as a writer.... that you refused to read.

Are you confused now about Bob McGinn? Is that writer back in your graces? Have you flip - floped on Bob McGinn?

Again let go of this. Stop !!!!!!!!!!!! You cannot win.

Hmmmm... felt the need to edit much after you were called out? I'll make sure to "reply with quote" next time before you attempt to water down your diatribes with editing. Doing so will save your rants for posterity... as if...

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Hmmmm... felt the need to edit much after you were called out? I'll make sure to "reply with quote" next time before you attempt to water down your diatribes with editing. Doing so will save your rants for posterity... as if...

There isn't that much need to save the old ones when the next one is always right around the corner.

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 04:49 PM

What's your point their Jacko? It's my perogative to edit as I see fit.

I havn't posted any RANTS mister. I'm defending my position ...clearly just that.

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I DO NOT HATE Ted Thompson'. I DO NOT HATE.

In the immortal words of Bill Shakespeare, "the lady doth protest too much, methinks."

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
What's your point? It's my perogative to edit as I see fit.

I havn't posted any RANTS mister. I'm defending my position ...clearly just that.

I will no longer entertain anymore questions (based on difference) on my position RE: Scott Wells.

Have a great evening.

easy cheesy
03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
What's your point their Jacko? It's my perogative to edit as I see fit.

First of all, I saw the entirety of your post before you edited it and it included more slurs towards Zigs. Secondly, all you DO is post nonsensical rants. Third, I'm not a "mister", I'm a "sister"... meaning female. Lastly, I'll state my opinion as I see it too... so "deal"... and my name isn't "Jacko" by the way. You are overly defensive, are not open to any opinions other than your own and, most importantly, make no God Damn sense whatsoever. You never even answered Zigs question about your "proof"... frickin' fool....

Scott... I need to borrow some of your tissue please....

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
:lol:
First of all, I saw the entirety of your post before you edited it and it included more slurs towards Zigs. Secondly, all you DO is post nonsensical rants. Third, I'm not a "mister", I'm a "sister"... meaning female. Lastly, I'll state my opinion as I see it too... so "deal"... and my name isn't "Jacko" by the way. You are overly defensive, are not open to any opinions other than your own and, most importantly, make no God Damn sense whatsoever. You never even answered Zigs question about your "proof"... frickin' fool....

.......my side hurts.........:lol:

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I will no longer entertain anymore questions (based on difference) on my position RE: Scott Wells.

Have a great evening.

That's too bad. I was looking for your "proof" that sources closer to the situation than you or I are wrong. I posted links when you asked where I came up with an idea. What have you got? (except vitriol for the GM that took your team to the Super Bowl).

Bossman641
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

I am so confused

Rutnstrut
We already know Thompson covets draft picks. If the coaching staff feels limited by Wells' skillset, and we get a 4th round comp pick for letting him leave AND we get a slight boost in the run game with a replacement level center, AND Wells is almost 32 and the replacement is younger...

It's too much for Thompson to pay Wells as a top center. You can disagree with the philosophy TT has, but you can't disagree with the move *within* his philosophy. I don't think it was personal/ego for Thompson, but just a business decision. For Wells, of course it was personal, but can you blame him?

With this statement you are assuming the packers will lose absolutely no ground with Wells's replacement, not only that it sounds like you are stating they will be better. This would be almost impossible for the replacement to accomplish his first season. There is a lot more to playing center than snapping the ball and blocking.

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
With this statement you are assuming the packers will lose absolutely no ground with Wells's replacement, not only that it sounds like you are stating they will be better. This would be almost impossible for the replacement to accomplish his first season. There is a lot more to playing center than snapping the ball and blocking.

Who are you giving up to keep him?

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Scott... I need to borrow some of your tissue please.. ' a LADY named easy cheesy'

Does that quote ever tempt a certain response. I've just got this .... yah yah yah !! Get to the heart of the matter of the debate with MJZiggy and it's course ...and you might better understand my responses.

At what point is my debate with her your business. ohh wait i mentioned female hormones.

Bad slip. (-:

woodbuck27
03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
That's too bad. I was looking for your "proof" that sources closer to the situation than you or I are wrong. I posted links when you asked where I came up with an idea. What have you got? (except vitriol for the GM that took your team to the Super Bowl).

vitriol for Ted Thompson. Your out to lunch there.

He's hardy worth that energy MJ.

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
He's the GM of the Packers. Of course he's worth that energy or you could substitute by finding the "proof" you offered. Maybe that would be a better use of resources. And lay off your discussions of my hormone levels when you can't back up your claims lest I start to think of the word misogyny when your name comes up. Convenient excuse those hormones ain't they?

easy cheesy
03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Scott... I need to borrow some of your tissue please.. ' a LADY named easy cheesy'

Does that quote ever tempt a certain response. I've just got this .... yah yah yah !! Get to the heart of the matter of the debate with MJZiggy and it's course ...and you might better understand my responses.

At what point is my debate with her your business. Peel out please.

It's my business when I make it my business. You still haven't answered Zigs question. You have nothing. You deflect everything... or at least try... lamely. Why don't YOU get to the "heart of the matter" and answer her? Why? Because you can't.

Scott... do you still have some tissue available? :)

Scott Campbell
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Multiple women mad at him at the same time.

Welcome to my world Woody!

pbmax
03-18-2012, 05:25 PM

I am detecting a trend. Insulting those who do not agree with you. Not very classy Woodbuck.

easy cheesy
03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
+1

MJZiggy
03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I am detecting a trend. Insulting those who do not agree with you. Not very classy Woodbuck.

You'll note my actual offense was not in disagreeing, but in having my own opinion in the first place.

pbmax
03-18-2012, 05:52 PM
We should also note the the OP said the author, Bill Huber, knew whom Scott Wells had picked as his team. It would appear that Huber was incorrect.

packrulz
03-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Scott Wells' contract with the Rams is a four-year deal worth $24 million, with $13 million guaranteed.
With incentives it can max out to $25.5 million. Considered a ''top-ten center'' the past two years, Wells projects as an upgrade over G/C Jason Brown in St. Louis.
Sorry, I like Scott Wells but the Rams overpaid. At least the Pack will get a compensatory draft pick.

Upnorth
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

I am so confused

Me too, but on the other hand great avatar Bossman!

I think we need annraynd and gbgary to completely derail this thread.

smuggler
03-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Immediate improvement with any replacement player in the *run* game. Passing game, well, we're going to have to get a little lucky.

Patler
03-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I wonder if McDonald has any second thoughts about picking the Patriots practice squad offer over the practice squad offer from the Packers? There is an opportunity in GB that he didn't expect last year. Not sure what is going on in New England. He did get a start or two after NE lost 3 centers ahead of him. Will they have an open competition for starter in 2012? McDonald wasn't active for the Super Bowl.

McDonald, an undrafted free agent, said he was looking forward to spending his career in Green Bay but has no hard feelings over being released after training camp. He said he was told the Packers needed an extra defensive player on the 53-man roster and he was the odd man out.
He said the Packers offered him a spot on the practice squad, but he and his agent accepted an offer from New England because they thought there was more opportunity for him there. After spending 12 weeks on the practice squad he was signed to the active roster on Dec. 3 and wound up starting the next day against Indianapolis.

Cheesehead Craig
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Scott Wells' contract with the Rams is a four-year deal worth $24 million, with $13 million guaranteed.
With incentives it can max out to $25.5 million. Considered a ''top-ten center'' the past two years, Wells projects as an upgrade over G/C Jason Brown in St. Louis.
Sorry, I like Scott Wells but the Rams overpaid. At least the Pack will get a compensatory draft pick.

Good for Wells, he got paid. That's about all one can expect a player to do in this league though. Given injury can take away your football career at any time, players will get the money when they can.

ThunderDan
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, I can't believe I missed all of the good stuff!

MJZiggy
03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
So proving my point is a debating error. Interesting. Still waiting for the proof you offered. By the way, in the Kameron Wimbley thread, last page, you'll find an interesting opinion. I'll assume you'll be calling those folks ignorant as well, because of course gender has nothing to do with it. Go get 'em tiger!

p.s. This is an open forum. If someone decides to join the conversation, that is their prerogative and entirely their business to do so. Even if that person is *GASP* female.

Guiness
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Is this a market contract for a center? Seems high, but I'm not sure. With $13mil guaranteed (more than half), doesn't appear at first glance to be a 'funny money' contract.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Is this a market contract for a center? Seems high, but I'm not sure. With $13mil guaranteed (more than half), doesn't appear at first glance to be a 'funny money' contract.

Chris Myers and Wells will now be at the top as far as 2012 cap hit. http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/center/

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
So proving my point is a debating error. Interesting. Still waiting for the proof you offered. By the way, in the Kameron Wimbley thread, last page, you'll find an interesting opinion. I'll assume you'll be calling those folks ignorant as well, because of course gender has nothing to do with it. Go get 'em tiger!

p.s. This is an open forum. If someone decides to join the conversation, that is their prerogative and entirely their business to do so. Even if that person is *GASP* female.

One fan to the next....

Fan #1: Is there a Posse here that will go into a lynching fever pitch over any fan that doesn't praise TT.

Fan#2: shhhh be careful. You cannot even raise that topic here. If you do it can explode in your face ..go virale.

Don't you just LOVE TT? The correct response is YES! Don't you just LOVE TT? The correct response is YES! Don't you just LOVE TT? The correct response is yes..yes...yes...yes...yes... It must be a 'YES' to Ted thompson at Packerrats.

Thank goodness I like our GM. Some members of the Pose will even go so far as to claim your a 'hate monger'. Some will make ridiculous accusations against any member that is even marginally not in line with LOVING Ted Thompson. The Posse actually believes it has POWER. That it can make any false claim or undermine anyone as a posse member ever decides he/she must to deal with weak ego needs.

I refuse to engage the Scott Wells matter anymore with you after this post.

For about the fourth time PLEASE let go of your need to strangle attitude.

Now to the REAL matter as it began:

Go back to the beginning.This thread is calm. You post that 'Scott Wells had a chip on his shoulder' and that was why he exited Green Bay.

I requested your source. Your source 'compromised your argument'. just the day before you denounced that writer as one you refused to follow. Then you stress it was just his TWEETS.... that you didn't follow.

Then after asking you to stop the vitrol against me and the smugness as well...you kept on truckin'.

Let's go over it again MJ:

MJZiggy:

You take Bob Mcginn. A source writer that you criticize. Is tatv even relevant. What you think or not of Bob McGinn. In look at the timeline of events as that may apply to your claim of Scott Wells and 'chip on his shoulder'.

woodbuck27:

I'll take a fellow teammate and offensive lineman (Lang) and HC Mike McCarthy and their positive remarks about Scott Wells.

I'll take that ranking of Scott Wells as OUR BEST OLineman.

MJZiggy:

You take something writen by a writer (you refuse to follow) based on something he wrote that was based on something (rumor) that happened in 2009 when Scott Wells felt he was treated then. unfairly. Was his reaction if even true something unusual or something he couldn't get over MJ?

I get over stuff that happened yesterday. How long does it take you MJZiggy?

MJZiggy:

You expect to carry that as the smoking gun for your argument???

Not going to happen MJ.

MJZiggy:

Your original post that Scott Wells had a burr in his saddle bad attitude or 'chip on his shoulder' and that...was the reason he departed Green Bay is .................

NOT getting it done for your argument or rumor as we call it up here. That rumor seems to fit your needs MJZiggy.

It's quite simply NOT holding water.

woodbuck27:

I'll take what Lang and McCarthy said about Scott Wells that was certainly supportive of Scott Wells 'the positive contributing..Pro Bowl Center'. I'll take positive reports on his progress three games into 2009... through 2010... to his Pro Bowl selection in 2011. As proof he didn't have any chip on his shoulder or ' bad ass negative attitude ' carry over from any former blowup true or not. Scott Wells 'just' came to work with his lunch pail attitude and contyributed. he just learned his trade as a NFL Center. He just grew as an NFL center. He just got better. he became a Pro Bowl selection at his position...center. He was the leading offensive lineman on our team. TOP RANKED by the reports.

woodbuck27:

I''ll take the respect he was accorded by Lang and McCarthy and the fact he made a pro Bowl as all I need to prove he did his job well in Green Bay. If he had a chip on his shoulder it certainly worked well for our team.

I know what it's like to be a Scott Wells. I've witnessed many Scott Wells types of people with excellent strengths.

As I wrote before. Often a man steps up to face a mob of nay sayers and wins the day.

Because he was by all reports offered appreciably less by TT (and the Packer Negotiator ... Russ Ball?) than he received from the St. Louis Rams. Scott Wells did the easy thing. He signed a new contract with the RAMS.

Was he then low - balled by TT?

Some may have a perfect right to make that claim.

I predict the TRUTH of that question will be revealed in the future. Often history proves that certain people act in similiar fashion. I don't even have to imagine what Scott Campbells part was in this little exercise against me MJZiggy. The real deal is I don't give a damn. Some people just never get it. They never grow.

You surround yourself with what comforts you MJZiggy.

I'm a tad embarrassed that I can't tell the women from the men. I know you women sometimes feel a need to hug one another. It's all good. I have three wonderful daughters. I have had wonderful women love me all my life. I have a pretty lovely woman loving me right now. She loves me for standing on my integrity. She loves my courage. She loves me for my dedicated spirit as a Packer fan... as a Packerrat.

So MJ please can I do more here to denounce your 'he ( Scott Wells) left because he had a chip on his shouder' little more than a rumor source ...sorry MJ....NO weight argument.

That position has no balls.

He used his forsight and respect for himself and his family to elect to stop being a Green Bay Packer. He's now a RAM. End of story.

MJZiggy
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
You'd best explain that to the non-TT apologists I mentioned were in the other thread. I can't wait to see the vitriol and grand proof you expound to them for their mistaken ideas as well. Or any kind of proof of anything at all for that matter. I'm still waiting for the link that ACTUALLY disproves what I said. You've provided none. Huh. Imagine that.

Guiness
03-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Chris Myers and Wells will now be at the top as far as 2012 cap hit. http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/center/

Base Salary S. Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit
2012 2,500,000 1,000,000 - 3,500,000
2013 3,500,000 1,000,000 - 4,500,000
2014 5,000,000 1,000,000 - 6,000,000
2015 6,000,000 1,000,000 - 7,000,000

First 2 year's salary and signing bonus is guaranteed, which is $10million. I wonder where the other 4 is.

It's probably really a 2y $10million deal, with $2 million dead money in 2014. I doubt he'll see the 2014 and 2015 base salaries.

easy cheesy
03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
You'd best explain that to the non-TT apologists I mentioned were in the other thread. I can't wait to see the vitriol and grand proof you expound to them for their mistaken ideas as well. Or any kind of proof of anything at all for that matter. I'm still waiting for the link that ACTUALLY disproves what I said. You've provided none. Huh. Imagine that.

this may take awhile soooo... while we wait, let's just kick back, sing some campfire songs, roast some marshmallows, snap each other on the ass with towels and enjoy this....

http://cottoncandycastles.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dsc02730.jpg

Iron Mike
03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
http://www.firstgearcollector.com/406%20spot%20on%20yellow.jpg

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Good for Wells, he got paid. That's about all one can expect a player to do in this league though. Given injury can take away your football career at any time, players will get the money when they can.

That's where it should end.

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM

MJZiggy your acting alot like Scott Campbell. RELAX please.

In read their posts.I believe most of us are clear on the Scott Wells FA thing. Are you having some difficulty with it?

TT didn't want to pay Scott Wells enough to get him to sign a new contract. Scott Wells tested the FA market. The RAMS gave Scott Wells a better deal to go there. Scott Wells was pleased with the RAMS offer and as so many NFL players do he looked at their contract and without much hesitation....signed it. We officially lost OUR center.

End of story. If one poster agrees with it or not doesn't bother me. What bothrs me is when the likes of youposts CRAP as to wht he decided to leave and I will call you on the mat for posting such CRAP.

Now your getting down the river on this I have something against women. That is NOT anywhere you need to go with me MJZiggy. I simply see you as a poster at Packerrats that's over the TOP zealous over Ted Thompson. I actually think your silly to be that way and sometimes I laugh mt head off.

I like you MJZiggy. In the pro Pickem who was the very first poster here to congratulate you on your championship?

Who was that MJZiggy? That would be me MJZiggy. Before you push me and being 'whatever' you better have your ducks in a row.

Have a pleasant remainder to your week and get off your poor me attitude. You debated something you couldn't defend MJZiggy. Again ..put it to bed.

THANK YOU. (-:

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
this may take awhile soooo... while we wait, let's just kick back, sing some campfire songs, roast some marshmallows, snap each other on the ass with towels and enjoy this....

Isn't it nice to have friends.

ThunderDan
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
MJZiggy your acting alot like Scott Campbell. RELAX please.

In read their posts.I believe most of us are clear on the Scott Wells FA thing. Are you having some difficulty with it?

TT didn't want to pay AScott Wells enough to get him to sign a new contract. Scott Wells tested the FA market. The RAMS gave Scott Wells a better deal to go there. Scott Wells was pleased with the RAMS offer and as so many NFL players do he looked at their contract and without much hesitation....signed it. We officially lost OUR center.

End of story. If one poster agrees with it or not doesn't bother me. What bothrs me is when the likes of youposts CRAP as to wht he decided to leave and I will call you on the mat for posting such CRAP.

Now your getting down the river on this I have something against women. That is NOT anywhere you need to go with me MJZiggy. I simply see you as a poster at Packerrats that's over the TOP zealous over Ted Thompson. I actually think your silly to be that way and sometimes I laugh mt head off.

I like you MJZiggy. In the pro Pickem who was the very first poster here to congratulate you on your championship?

Who was that MJZiggy? That would be me MJZiggy. Before you push me and being 'whatever' you better have your ducks in a row.

Have a pleasant remainder to your week and get off your poor me attitude. You debated something you couldn't defend MJZiggy. Again ..put it to bed.

THANK YOU. (-:

This reminds me a lot of the BF penis crock shot thread.

easy cheesy
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
That's where it should end.

but it never ends... then again, who am I to "buck" a trend?

Isn't it nice to have friends.

Why... yes... yes it is.... ***sniff***

http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/composition/19940365/view/1/producttypecolor/92/type/png/width/280/height/280/kum-ba-yah_design.pnghttp://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/Smores/Smores.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NBSpvPTEgCg/TdLk8-jHwDI/AAAAAAAAABo/qENTuv6oXts/s1600/tear.jpg

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Who cares! Spend cash for a passrusher. Arod is elite with less.

Scott Campbell
03-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Thank goodness I like our GM.

He hates him so much he can't even say his name. It's like Voldemort.

Scott Campbell
03-20-2012, 06:53 AM

It's funny because it's true.

Woody will publish another white paper to try and prove he's not a misogynist. :lol:

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Scott. Have a nice day.

Zool
03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Woody, I'm just going to say this once. If everyone is saying the same thing to you, do you think maybe they're all correct and you're the one who's not? This isn't the first time you've gone down this path with a group of posters and barring some sort of miracle it won't be the last. You're the forum troll who happens to post useful links. Its quite a conundrum.

No need to reply (but you will), it's just food for thought.

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Zool. Have a nice day.

Scott Campbell
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Woody, I'm just going to say this once. If everyone is saying the same thing to you, do you think maybe they're all correct and you're the one who's not? This isn't the first time you've gone down this path with a group of posters and barring some sort of miracle it won't be the last. You're the forum troll who happens to post useful links. Its quite a conundrum.

I don't think he can hear you.

http://www.robbushway.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/monkey_fingers_in_ears.jpg

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Spin DRAMA >>> attract Drama Queens.

Today's word.... Slander.

Words on the weekend.

hate and mysogynst

Be careful MJZiggy. Protect yourself from those that will push you down the garden path. My advice . Steer well clear of the troubed posters that love this spin you hopefully have let go of.

I'm NOT your enemy MJZiggy. It's your best way or your POISON.

Certain posters here will destroy you. I'm not of that bent.

mraynrand
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
He hates him so much he can't even say his name. It's like Voldemort.

Ooooooohhh...you said it!

http://moon.felk.cvut.cz/~pisem1/blog/KnightsWhoSayNi.jpg

mraynrand
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=woodbuck27;658163]
Today's word.... Slander

Rhymes with...

Blander
Dander
Meander
Colander

And a whole lot MORE! Sing it with me, people!

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Princess-Leia-vs.-Ace-Ventura-Mashup-by-OneMinuteGalactica-Battles-of-Endor-Commence.jpg

Guiness
03-20-2012, 10:57 AM

JHC, words of wisdom from a guy who wears a a hockey helmet when he's walking around, and once posted this gem:

Just go fuck his cat already What has this world come to???:smk:

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=woodbuck27;658163]
Today's word.... Slander

Rhymes with...

Blander
Dander
Meander
Colander

And a whole lot MORE! Sing it with me, people!

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Princess-Leia-vs.-Ace-Ventura-Mashup-by-OneMinuteGalactica-Battles-of-Endor-Commence.jpg

There are jokes. There are jokers. There are silly jokers and bad jokes.

There are 'no joke comments' that are destructive or harmful. Comments that need defending.

There are comments that are 'no joke'. Comments that must never be made for the wisdom of that decision.

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
JHC, words of wisdom from a guy who wears a a hockey helmet when he's walking around, and once posted this gem:
What has this world come to???:smk:

Let me see. Ignore list.

Is Zool on that list. mmmm He should be. Let me see.

Ohh good he is.

Zool why are you adament like SC posting me when 'your both' on my ignore list? Please don't continue that conversation with yourself ...with me.

I'm ignoring you two posters. Why is it so difficult for you and scott Campbell to let go? Grow mister.

Get that...good.

I know dear fellow. you two would love to put mke in stocks and every day pummel me with garbage.

I choose to be 'a Free Man'. I deserve 'only' that.

swede
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
If you kids don't knock it off I swear to God I am going to pull this thread over and make you all walk home!

Scott Campbell
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
There are jokes. There are jokers. There are silly jokers and bad jokes.

There are 'no joke comments' that are destructive or harmful. Comments that need defending.

There are comments that are 'no joke'. Comments that must never be made for the wisdom of that decision.

Douchebag wisdom.

That usually signals that were nearing the end of his meltdown.