PDA

View Full Version : Renters' Rights

Partial
08-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Any landlords here? I moved a bunch of stuff into my new house in Platteville yesterday, and low and behold the place is a mess. I walked into the door and the stench just pretty much knocks you of your ass. There is some sort of hair and dust in all the vents, garbage left all over the living room and kitchen, screens missing from a slew of windows, doors unhinged and too big for their doorway, some sort of animal food all over the floor, and worst of all, mold all over the bathroom and directly outside my bedroom on the side of the house among many other things.

I am pretty allergic to mold and dust so that is definitely going to be a problem. I could clean it myself I suppose, but I don't feel that should be my obligation since I am putting down money (two months rents) before I even spend a night there.

I don't have a copy of my lease handy, but I intend to contact the landlord today asking for a copy of lease to be sent to me, and notify him of the problems. I am very confident that many safety codes are not being met. The ventilation system does not appear to be working properly since it smells and feels like death upon entering the place. The fire extinguisher rack is empty, with no fire extinguisher in place. There are a few decent sized holes in my wall now too.

I am not sure what happened with the previous tenants, but the place was nice when I checked it out and agreed to it. It isn't anymore, and is definitely not in the state of what I agreed to.

Is anyone familiar with renters' rights in Wisconsin, more specifically grant county? I am not too sure with how to go about handling this, so any advice would be very much appreciated!

FavreChild
08-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Oh lordy, are you going to have fun with this battle.

Getting a copy of your lease is only part of the battle - finding out what THE LAW IS will be the rest. Often, it doesn't even matter what you agreed to in your lease - landlords put all sorts of clauses in leases that are legally unenforcable. But they get away with it because many tenants either don't know the law or won't stand up for themselves.

I might recommend putting a call into the Tenant Resource Center of Wisconsin. It's toll-free, and someone there will sit and talk you through everything. I've had to solicit advice from them twice - with two different landlords - and have had very positive experiences. It just helps to go back to your landlord and threaten them with "the law" (which is very pro-tenant in Wisconsin).

You might actually find what you're looking for right on their website:

Tenant Resource Center

http://www.tenantresourcecenter.org/

(877) 238-RENT (7368)
Hours: 10 AM - 4 PM, M-F

Partial
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks FavreChild!! That is amazingly helpful. I am going to call right now and i'll keep you guys posted on the results!

retailguy
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks FavreChild!! That is amazingly helpful. I am going to call right now and i'll keep you guys posted on the results!

Before you attack the landlord with all sorts of threats and such, give them a chance and just ask... You're dealing with a student housing landlord, so the odds aren't high you'll get satisfaction, but, it is worth a shot.

I hope I'm pointing out the obvious, but you better get that digital camera out of the box and put it to good use. Worst case, if you have to clean it yourself, you can pretty much assure yourself of getting your entire deposit back. Photos go a long way towards proving you took care of the house....

Good luck

FavreChild
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Agreed - no need to "attack" the landlord and get off on a bad foot. But arming yourself with information about the law *in case* you need it (and chances are, you will) is a good idea.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Wisconsin has some pretty strong laws in place to protect the renter. I would contact him immediately, and say that this is unacceptable according to the Wisconsin statues, and make up some other bullshit into scaring him into getting that mess cleaned up. The mold is a biggy. Don't be a little pussy about it either. Don't clean one fucking thing. You should have called him immediately. Also contact your school and ask them which government agency you should talk to about renter rights.

For a small fee I can get my wife to write a nasty letter for ya.

GBRulz
08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I would really be cautious about the mold situation as some is extremely toxic, even fatal. Is there some kind of test kit that you can pick up at a Home Depot or something that test the air quality of the place? Picking up the mess is one thing, but the mold is much more serious. If that is what it looks like on the OUTSIDE of the walls, who knows what is inside.

Good luck with that, hope it all works out for ya.

retailguy
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
bump....

Update? Inquiring minds want to know....

FavreChild
08-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Me, too!

GrnBay007
08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Me 3!! I had a real b!tch for a landlord when I rented. Wish I had taken pics when I moved in.

Partial
08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
No update yet. My roomates and I are gathering a list of complaints before we contact them. It should be within 2 or 3 days. We already had rent due about a week ago, but we informed the landlord we were not paying until we inspected the place (had to pay rent before we could move in; no, not the security desposit or the first month down).

Deputy Nutz
08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I told you to contact him right away with a list of complaints, what the hell did you wait for? Landlords are tricky son of a bitches you need to mount that fucker right away, to slow and that landlord will cut your balls off and beat you with them.

GrnBay007
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, you need to move on this quick partial. Esp. the mold problem....that is very serious stuff.

Partial
08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
We had to get pics. I didn't have my camera and whatnot when I was there (didn't expect any problems; rookie mistake that will never happen again), and I live 3 hours away from my college so I haven't really had a chance to get out there. The roomates are picking up my slack, and we should be good to go shortly!

FavreChild
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Make sure you record the date(s) on which you contact the landlord and the time it takes to respond. You need to contact him/her as soon as possible. The pictures and so forth are evidence for if (when) the landlord is slow or lax about addressing your complaints. But you don't want to delay contacting the landlord with your concerns.

Partial
08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
I contacted the landlord, they seemed very willing to fix any problems with the place over the phone, however only time will tell if they actually act on that.

Tony Oday
08-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Ifthe landlord has a couple of properties he may have hired cleaning crews to do it and if you are in a college house the crew may have not gotten there.

This happened to myself and 3 buddies when we moved in we called the landlord said we wanted one month free and we would clean the house. HE was 100% cool with that and he came and inspected the house and made US take pictures along with him so we werent cahrged for stuff that we didnt do.

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Partial:

If you are certain the pad has mold. Why are you even moving into it?

Find a clean place? Your health is at stake as mold is very bad,especially if it's in the ventilation.

Demand your deposit back and if the Landlord balks, threaten to report him/her to "the Public health Inspector", but your next step is to ensure that the Rentalsman knows exactly your complaint and you have his/her support.

Raise bloody hell if you have to, but don't live there Partial as you can only clean on the surface.

I have friends that got into a place with mold, and it nearly killed her. Alot of complications there Partial. Don't move into that place.

Scott Campbell
08-22-2006, 06:32 PM
He's in a tough spot. Where's he gonna stay?

BlueBrewer
08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I told you to contact him right away with a list of complaints, what the hell did you wait for? Landlords are tricky son of a bitches you need to mount that fucker right away, to slow and that landlord will cut your balls off and beat you with them.

I am a landlord and I resent that remark, but when I was in college, I got fucked by all but one landlord, college town landlords are bastards.

BlueBrewer
08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
[quote="FavreChild"]Oh lordy, are you going to have fun with this battle.

Getting a copy of your lease is only part of the battle - finding out what THE LAW IS will be the rest. Often, it doesn't even matter what you agreed to in your lease - landlords put all sorts of clauses in leases that are legally unenforcable. But they get away with it because many tenants either don't know the law or won't stand up for themselves.

I might recommend putting a call into the Tenant Resource Center of Wisconsin. It's toll-free, and someone there will sit and talk you through everything. I've had to solicit advice from them twice - with two different landlords - and have had very positive experiences. It just helps to go back to your landlord and threaten them with "the law" (which is very pro-tenant in Wisconsin).

If a tenant came to me threatening right off the bat I would give them there deposit back and tell them to get the fuck out. But if they asked if I could take care of something I would gladly do it.

FavreChild
08-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, first of all, I'm sure you would never be so problematic a landlord. :wink:

Secondly, of course you do not want to come out with guns blazing. "Ask and ye shall receive" is the ideal solution. But knowledge is power, and it's definitely a good thing to at least know the law and your rights. And of course there are ways to "mention" or "inquire about" the law without coming off as threatenening to your landlord.

(Unfortunately, I've had to push - or at least prepare to push - the issue with all three landlords I've ever had. So my antenna is raised when it comes to tenant issues.)

The earlier Partial learns all this stuff, though, the better. He'll need it somewhere down the road.

Unless, of course, he becomes a home owner soon. :cool:

BlueBrewer
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, first of all, I'm sure you would never be so problematic a landlord. :wink:

Secondly, of course you do not want to come out with guns blazing. "Ask and ye shall receive" is the ideal solution. But knowledge is power, and it's definitely a good thing to at least know the law and your rights. And of course there are ways to "mention" or "inquire about" the law without coming off as threatenening to your landlord.

(Unfortunately, I've had to push - or at least prepare to push - the issue with all three landlords I've ever had. So my antenna is raised when it comes to tenant issues.)

The earlier Partial learns all this stuff, though, the better. He'll need it somewhere down the road.

Knowledge is good, there are a lot of slumlords out there.
Unless, of course, he becomes a home owner soon. :cool:

Deputy Nutz
08-23-2006, 01:03 AM

I am a landlord and I resent that remark, but when I was in college, I got fucked by all but one landlord, college town landlords are bastards.'

Well, I then probably offended myself as well, since I am also a landlord. Are you a landlord or a slumlord? It sounds more like Partial is dealing with one of those prick ass land lords that has a bunch of property that he rents to college kids, he deals it out, but he probably takes his lumps as well.

Don't be so easily resented.

BlueBrewer
08-23-2006, 08:26 AM

I am a landlord and I resent that remark, but when I was in college, I got fucked by all but one landlord, college town landlords are bastards.'

Well, I then probably offended myself as well, since I am also a landlord. Are you a landlord or a slumlord? It sounds more like Partial is dealing with one of those prick ass land lords that has a bunch of property that he rents to college kids, he deals it out, but he probably takes his lumps as well.

Don't be so easily resented.

I was trying to be sarcastic, I have much thicker skin than that, no real offense taken at all.

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
He's in a tough spot. Where's he gonna stay?

This is better than any DAM apartment with MOLD.

http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/images/all_season_thumb.jpg

ALL SEASON.