PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be The Packers Starting Center In 2012?

Joemailman
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Like it or not, Scott Wells is gone. Who should be the Packers starting Center this year?

Joemailman
03-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I think Lang has the toughness to play there, and has some of the physical attributes that TT probably felt Wells lacked.

smuggler
03-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Konz. Draft all the o-linemen. (This is a bad idea unless he's head and shoulders BPA)

Gunakor
03-19-2012, 04:58 AM
I'd rather give EDS a shot at center than move Lang over and mess with his development at left guard. I'm not big on moving starters around on the line. If we expect to field a quality line we should allow our starters to settle into their positions.

Suppose it is Lang at center. Who plays left guard?

KalamazooPackerFan
03-19-2012, 06:00 AM
I'd rather give EDS a shot at center than move Lang over and mess with his development at left guard. I'm not big on moving starters around on the line. If we expect to field a quality line we should allow our starters to settle into their positions.

Agreed! I'd rather have someone a little less talented who has actually snapped the ball before than find out the hard way that it's just not in Lang's skill set. Was EDS that bad in his snaps at center? I don't remember him being awful and we have a pretty good history with turning the low draft pick into a solid starter.

wist43
03-19-2012, 06:23 AM

Moving guys around for the pure adventure of it is what the Packers do, it's who they are... when they draft an OL, they always say right out of the gate they "love his versitility", and he can play all 11 positions.

I didn't want to resign Wells b/c of needs elsewhere, or reupping guys in the future - but we're surely in for an extended period of musical chairs.

Smeefers
03-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Ohhh, I like that. Wish I could take back my vote. Never really gave EDS a fair shot when I was thinking about it and I think you're spot on about not moving guys around.

Old School
03-19-2012, 07:03 AM
EDS should be given a chance. If TT doesn't think Genus can cut it at some point, he should draft a center on day two or three.

Messing with TJ Lang, who has played well at guard, only opens another hole. We know how offensive line musical chairs worked in the past. Versatility? That translates to jack of all trades; master of none.

Pugger
03-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Is EDS better as a guard or center? I don't care for the idea of moving Lang either. I'm guessing we'll pick up someone in the middle rounds next month.

pbmax
03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Kevin Zeitler, come on down.

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Kevin Zeitler, come on down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Zeitler

He plays guard. OK !? Moving Kevin Zeitler to Center?

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 08:03 AM
TT will bring in someone on the chep. He'll toss him in with EDS and whatever else we have and MM will try to get the best at Center as he can. I do not see TT going after a quality and available at present FA. I hope he doesn't address the center position with Pick # 28.

ND72
03-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Satele was arrested over the weekend.

pbmax
03-19-2012, 08:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Zeitler

He plays guard. OK !? Moving Kevin Zeitler to Center?

There is talk, and it began before his college career was over, that Zeitler's best position in the pros will be Center. It fits with McCarthy's style of having versatile players, though without much Center depth they may value someone else with more experience at the position.

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 08:24 AM
There is talk, and it began before his college career was over, that Zeitler's best position in the pros will be Center. It fits with McCarthy's style of having versatile players, though without much Center depth they may value someone else with more experience at the position.

OK thanks for the input.

gbgary
03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
so now we have to put off drafting a pass rusher for a center now. geesh!

swede
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I think EDS is the obvious choice. He comes with the Ndamukong Suh stomp of approval.

Cleft Crusty
03-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Not necessarily. There's no reason choosing one prevents choosing the other. The Packers have more than one draft pick,and there are plenty of O linemen and OLBs available in the draft. Further, as noted above, there are various choices for center on the roster.

smuggler
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I think EDS is the obvious choice. He comes with the Ndamukong Suh stomp of approval.

That's true, he was pushing ol' 'Kong around pretty nicely that day.

Upnorth
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I voted EDS, however can he identify line calls?

Harlan Huckleby
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Sherrod is worth a look.

just kidding, draft a center and count on EDS as plan B.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

I doubt it. TT has never drafted a college interior lineman earlier than the 3rd round (Spitz). I'll be surprised if he takes a C before then.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Satele was arrested over the weekend.

Bengals sign him yet?

gbgary
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
well...it's turned into a glaring need now. protecting AR's brain pan is job 1. seen a few mocks that have us picking a center now. i would understand it if TT did draft one. it's not like our o-line is great with talent to spare. it's a shame it's come to this.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
well...it's turned into a glaring need now. protecting AR's brain pan is job 1. seen a few mocks that have us picking a center now. i would understand it if TT did draft one. it's not like our o-line is great with talent to spare. it's a shame it's come to this.

Pretty sure TT's draft board didn't change because he lost Wells. Fact is, few Centers get drafted in the 1st round. Konz is a possibility, but he'd have to be awfully good to get drafted by TT in the 1st.

Bretsky
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Per NFL Network TT was having Jeff Saturday in for a visit. I'd be down with that; intense dude and good player.

Brandon494
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Per NFL Network TT was having Jeff Saturday in for a visit. I'd be down with that; intense dude and good player.

I mentioned this earlier in the year, I think it would be a good signing. Saturday still has 2 good years left which gives us time to groom a younger player. Saturday is also a very smart guy and I think would actually be an improvement over Wells.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
That would be different. TT replacing a starter with someone older.

Bretsky
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I mentioned this earlier in the year, I think it would be a good signing. Saturday still has 2 good years left which gives us time to groom a younger player. Saturday is also a very smart guy and I think would actually be an improvement over Wells.

Bingo
Personally I'd rather have Saturday at 3MIL per year over Wells at 6 MIL. Intense Dude

Get er done TT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bretsky
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
That would be different. TT replacing a starter with someone older.

Here I thought you were going to say TT signing a starter in free agency .......and before the draft ???? :)

pittstang5
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Not sure how I feel about this. Isn't Saturday the oldest of the starting centers left on the market. This just doesn't fit TT style.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Here I thought you were going to say TT signing a starter in free agency .......and before the draft ???? :)

I figured you had that one covered.

Pugger
03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
It would be good for TT to get Saturday (unless he spurns us and joins Manning in Denver) for a couple of years while we groom a draftee chosen on the second day next month.

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Bingo
Personally I'd rather have Saturday at 3MIL per year over Wells at 6 MIL. Intense Dude

Get er done TT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(-:

Be careful B.

It certainly looks like a good signing. It would certainly offer damage control. Yet things seem to work out funny in Green Bay.

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Put EDS there and leave Lang alone. I'm indifferent on Konz..only to free up passrusher picks. Arod is fine...Get an OLB goddammit!

Gunakor
03-20-2012, 05:18 AM
draft a center and count on EDS as plan B.

How would this be any better than counting on EDS as plan A?

red
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
well if they don't sign saturday then i would think eds is the guy. i would love to draft konz, but we gotta go defense at the top of the draft

i really don't think that finding a replacement for wells will be all that hard. wells was a guy i still was wishing we would replace right up until the star of last season. i still don't think he's a top center

Upnorth
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Saturday would be interesting if at 2mil per, remember dude is 37. If we had Saturday cheap with EDS as a backup that would be an okay temporary fix.

SnakeLH2006
03-23-2012, 02:02 AM
well if they don't sign saturday then i would think eds is the guy. i would love to draft konz, but we gotta go defense at the top of the draft

i really don't think that finding a replacement for wells will be all that hard. wells was a guy i still was wishing we would replace right up until the star of last season. i still don't think he's a top center

I agree with everything u said, red.