PDA

View Full Version : Could Hawk Be Traded or Released?

smuggler
03-19-2012, 04:08 AM
He has a 4.4 mil salary this season plus a 300k roster bonus.

If he's traded or released, it saves us 3.1 mil in cap room this season and causes 4.8 mil in dead money in 2013.

His salary numbers are low enough where teams may consider trading a 5th or 6th rounder for him, but high enough that teams could call our bluff if we wanted to ship him.

wist43
03-19-2012, 04:40 AM
We'll have people to reup and extend next year too... how much time is left on his contract?? Add it all up, and we might as well keep him.

Besides, Hawk was terrible last year, but he was still better than a lot of the garbage we threw out on the field. TT has to fill at least 5 dead empty roster spots in the front seven, and that's before you ever consider doing anything with Hawk.

We need 2 DE's, 2 rotation DT's, and an NFL calibur ROLB - bartenders don't count. Even if TT changed his spots and targetted the front seven for rebuilding, it would take at least a couple of years to fix the thing to mediocrity.

TT will stay his course. We'll get no FA help beyond more bottom feeding, and we'll get 312 draft choices and undrafted FA's coming in to compete for spots. That's the way it works.

packrulz
03-19-2012, 05:01 AM
I thought Smith played well when Hawk was out, he just needs more experience. Hawk gets exposed trying to cover TE's, but he is a good tackler against the run. I don't like the dead money, just keep him and draft an ILB, there are some good mid-rounders this year.

wist43
03-19-2012, 07:03 AM
I thought Smith played well when Hawk was out, he just needs more experience. Hawk gets exposed trying to cover TE's, but he is a good tackler against the run. I don't like the dead money, just keep him and draft an ILB, there are some good mid-rounders this year.

Yeah, I liked what I saw from Smith; and So'oto flashed a little bit... but I doubt either has a very high ceiling. We're just very anemic in the front seven as a whole, we simply lack talent - especially pass rushers.

We as fans might be clamoring for defensive help, but TT thought we were fine there last year, and I don't imagine much has changed. The same players will be coming back, and there's a lot of youth there, so TT's MO will stay the same. BPA regardless of position; only bottom feeding FA's... our front seven is what it is.

pbmax
03-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Unless he falls off the cliff, he isn't going anywhere this year. Too many years left and too much pro-rated bonus. $4.8 mil in dead cap space won't help in 2013. More likely a restructure if there is room to compress some of his money into 2014.

ND72
03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Hawk has a total of $6.3 Million (according to espn's Adam Schefter) in guaranteed money that if they were to cut him or trade him would still be paid out to him this year. Hawk isn't going anywhere.

Cheesehead Craig
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, the annual thread had to start sometime.

smuggler
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Hawk has a total of $6.3 Million (according to espn's Adam Schefter) in guaranteed money that if they were to cut him or trade him would still be paid out to him this year. Hawk isn't going anywhere.

The money is already paid. The accounting goes against the cap this year and next, per NFL rules, if he's cut after a certain date - 1.6 million against the cap this season, 4.8 against the cap next season. Everyone's making good points, but he is expensive. If he's not cut this offseason, he's a candidate in every offseason for the rest of his career here.

Lurker64
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Cutting Hawk this year or next doesn't actually save much in terms of the cap (the cap savings would largely be wiped out by the fact that you had to replace him on the roster with someone who would make at least the minimum). The year after next, Hawk could conceivably be cut.

I mean, you could trade him and his contract would come off the books, but who would trade for him?

Cleft Crusty
03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Unless he falls off the cliff...

Talk like this should be discouraged on a Packers forum. Angry fans will get ideas...

Harlan Huckleby
03-19-2012, 02:58 PM
cut Hawk and use his salary to make a run at Peyton

Harlan Huckleby
03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
dp

SkinBasket
03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh good, lets relive the last AJ Hawk thread all over again!

pbmax
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
cut Hawk and use his salary to make a run at Peyton

And now we know HH is Stephen Ross.

pbmax
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh good, lets relive the last AJ Hawk thread all over again!

Is Mad just randomly changing your avatar now or was that your choice?

swede
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Is Mad just randomly changing your avatar now or was that your choice?

It's what you don't see in his avatar, the cropped out part of the image, that makes it Skinworthy.

pbmax
03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
It's what you don't see in his avatar, the cropped out part of the image, that makes it Skinworthy.

Given that its Skin and some kind of simian, I think I could name that tune in 2 guesses.

mraynrand
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Given that its Skin and some kind of simian, I think I could name that tune in 2 guesses.

I'll take "unusually large appendages" for $400, Alex.

Cheesehead Craig
03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I'll take "unusually large appendages" for $400, Alex.

For the full pic, go to the Brewers area in the Braun thread near the end. It's not nearly as offensive as you think.

pittstang5
03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
I mean, you could trade him and his contract would come off the books, but who would trade for him?

Exactly. No one is going to trade for him and take on that salary. If he was the Hawk of 2010, you might get some interest. Looks like cutting him doesn't save you anything, so ya just keep him and hope he has a better year.

King Friday
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
You get virtually no savings from cutting Hawk. If you cut Hawk, then you are saying you need to upgrade the position immediately...but to realize savings you basically have to replace him with a rookie.

Hawk is basically untouchable at this point...get over it already, because that is the reality of the situation.

smuggler
03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
It saves us 3.1 million this year, and costs us 4.5 million next year. A net loss, I agree. However, we know what we have in Hawk, and we know we'd like better. Depending on how the draft and training camp goes, it might be worth it to open up a starting spot for a better player. He's too expensive and proud to sit on the bench.

Joemailman
03-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Hawk has been up and down the last few years. At 28, he should be young enough to bounce back, and I expect that is how the Packers will approach it. He'll be here, although D.J. Smith could possibly take away some reps if he continues to improve.

mraynrand
03-19-2012, 11:11 PM
At 28, he should be young enough to bounce back

I think he should work on strengthening his abductor pollicis and flexor pollicis to more effectively flip off the team and fans when he leaves in FA in a couple of years.

woodbuck27
03-19-2012, 11:37 PM
It saves us 3.1 million this year, and costs us 4.5 million next year. A net loss, I agree. However, we know what we have in Hawk, and we know we'd like better. Depending on how the draft and training camp goes, it might be worth it to open up a starting spot for a better player. He's too expensive and proud to sit on the bench.

For $1.4 Million$ we put up with his whining? That at the cost of development of a player... a real player?

If that was the case then that case would have an easy solution.

smuggler
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
There's also the matter of depth. Too, a player would have to be noticeably better than Hawk for this to leave the realm of the academic.

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2012, 04:54 AM
No chance.

SkinBasket
03-20-2012, 05:33 AM
No chance.

Butter on pancakes.

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Butter on pancakes.

Snake hates pancakes. Snake hates Hawk.

Still......no chance.

Brandon494
03-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Was it a mistake to resign him to his current deal? Yes but unfortunately hes not going anywhere.

red
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
good god, here we go again

is hawk really the problem? there were at least 39 other guys on defense that played just as bad or worse then he did last year. lets get rid of the all, including raji, picket, neal, tramon, shields, jones, zombo/walden, and clay and wood also had down years. they all played shittier last year. lets cut them all

Upnorth
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey its Wednesday, Fire Slocum!

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey its Wednesday, Fire Slocum!

I would have thought there would be more rage about resigning Jarrett Bush for 3 years.

King Friday
03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe Hawk will be the opposite of Samson and gain his strength after he cut his hair.

red
03-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Maybe Hawk will be the opposite of Samson and gain his strength after he cut his hair.

he should be faster without the drag

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/2/5/8/2584a12584dcea216e766c4bbcb514eb.png

Patler
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
he should be faster without the drag

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/2/5/8/2584a12584dcea216e766c4bbcb514eb.png

:smile:
But how about his decreased impact when he tackles resulting from lower mass? Will it be offset by the increase in speed at impact? Or more simply put, will runners now drag him even farther?

red
03-20-2012, 07:14 PM
lol

the lower drag would also work in the favor of the player who is dragging him down the field.

yes, that would be a problem

Bretsky
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
good god, here we go again

is hawk really the problem? there were at least 39 other guys on defense that played just as bad or worse then he did last year. lets get rid of the all, including raji, picket, neal, tramon, shields, jones, zombo/walden, and clay and wood also had down years. they all played shittier last year. lets cut them all

Had we drafted Brooks Reed his stellar pass rushing abuility would have went a long way in covering up the flaws in AJ Hawk

red
03-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Had we drafted Brooks Reed his stellar pass rushing abuility would have went a long way in covering up the flaws in AJ Hawk

well....

duh

King Friday
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
It saves us 3.1 million this year, and costs us 4.5 million next year.

You forget the cost of the player we have to acquire to fill his role on the roster...tack on another $1.6M and suddenly we are losing $3M to cut Hawk and not upgrade the position (because a replacement @ 800K per year isn't likely to be an upgrade).

TT probably wouldn't sign an All-Pro FA for $3M. He sure as hell isn't going to light it on fire and burn it for nothing in return.

ND72
03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
On the flip side, what is Houston doing? DeMeco Ryan for a 4th and swap 3's? Dang it Philly!

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
On the flip side, what is Houston doing? DeMeco Ryan for a 4th and swap 3's? Dang it Philly!

It was probably that or cut him. He wasn't playing in the nickel in Houston at all.

The takeaway from all of this is that 2006 was a truly wretched draft class.

KYPack
03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
ND will bitch me out, but Demeco is the best LB in that class. He was the first #2. He is a great 4-3 Mike. He did go down last year, maybe he's a little hit out.

Houston loses Ryans and Super Mario?

They may come back down to earth next year.

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM
ND will bitch me out, but Demeco is the best LB in that class. He was the first #2. He is a great 4-3 Mike. He did go down last year, maybe he's a little hit out.

The 'EXPERTS' on NFL TOTAL ACCESS are still picking the TEXANS to make the playoffs this season.

and ..... 76% of fans in some poll picked the BRONCOS to win the Super Bowl.

ND72
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM

No I won't, it's the truth! I actually wanted us to take Hawk and Ryans that year.
I just don't get Houston. They are finally making a push, then they refuse to franchise and keep easily their best defensive player, and then they trade their defensive captain. Just odd.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
If they traded him for a 4th, was he really playing that well the last couple of years? I know he had a serious injury a couple of years ago. With how salaries have gone up, Hawk's contract doesn't look as bad--especially if he rebounds from last year. He's been solid most years and durable.

Patler
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Ryans had a torn Achilles. Some articles state that it still bothered him a lot last year, and he didn't start running well until late in the season.

Kind of makes you wonder what the Packers could have gotten for Barnett in a more normal off season. Having only a couple days, they didn't have much option but to release him.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
If they traded him for a 4th, was he really playing that well the last couple of years? I know he had a serious injury a couple of years ago. With how salaries have gone up, Hawk's contract doesn't look as bad--especially if he rebounds from last year. He's been solid most years and durable.

and..... he got a haircut. He'll be lighter..faster. No dandruff...clearer thinking.

I believe that Hawk will rebound. I have to believe ...hope for that.

woodbuck27
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe someone might send him some archived material or just things off Youtube too inspire him:

How about something like this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29245314.html

Maybe some video of NFL Hard hitters like: Jacks 'Lambert and Tatum/LT and Ronnie Lott/
Dick 'the Most FEARED' Butkus and Ray 'mean S.O.B.' Nitschke /John Lynch and Deacon Jones and steve Atwater .......

Might stir ' the pickles ':

http://listverse.com/2010/01/31/top-10-hardest-hitters-in-nfl-history/

and this one on our own Ray Nitschke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i40P-2z12Z8

Hawk might even benefit from this video and pass it all on ' in a leadership capascity ' to some of the other whoosey ' NO Hitters ' on our defense last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKGc0780Gq8&feature=related

GO HAWK GO ! Act like a First Round Pick.

Please.

Fritz
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Who would trade for AJ Hawk at that salary?

Where have you gone, Matty Millen, Packer nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Wooh Wooh Wooh.

What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Matty Millen turns out to be gay? Hey hey hey. Hey hey hey.

smuggler
04-02-2012, 11:37 PM
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Matty Millen turns out to be gay? Hey hey hey. Hey hey hey.

You're confusing Matt Millen with Johnnie Morton.