PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory picks this year

Patler
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Should be awarded in a few weeks. We had a good thread about it before, but I can't seem to dredge it up. So I started a new one.

We all know generally what's involved in the calculus, but there are often surprises when the awards come out. Just to refresh our memories, the Packers signed no one, and lost:

Korey Hall - 2 year contract for $2.07 million. Hall played 13 games, generated no stats as a carrier or receiver.

Jason Spitz - 3 year contract for $5.25 million. Spitz played 10 games with no starts.

Brandon Jackson - 2 year contract for $4.5 million. Jackson was on IR for the year.

Daryn Colledge - 5 year contract for $27.5 million. Started all season, and if some of the local reports are to be believed, played well enough to be a guy to build their line around.

Cullen Jenkins - 5 year contract for $30.375 million. Played all 16 games. Started out like a terror, but lodged just 1/2 sack over the last 11 games after getting five sacks in the first five games.

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
They're usually announced at the Owner's meetings, which are the weekend of the 24th.

I'm expecting two 4ths and two 7ths. Maybe a 4th, 5th, and 2 7ths.

pbmax
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Here is what I have. I know another poster had a link to someone they thought had a good track record. Not sure if that site is included here.

Rules: adamjt13.blogspot.com

Predictions: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

A 4th (Jenkins), 4th (Colledge), 7th (Jackson), 7th (Spitz)

Losing Korey Hall would have qualified for a pick but he has the Packers at the maximum 4.

Patler
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I know we discussed it before, but I've forgotten the reason. Why is it that Asomugha earns compensation for Oakland? His contract was not expired, but some detail in it made him a free agent as if the contract had expired. Anyone remember what it was?

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I know we discussed it before, but I've forgotten the reason. Why is it that Asomugha earns compensation for Oakland? His contract was not expired, but some detail in it made him a free agent as if the contract had expired. Anyone remember what it was?

The contract had a clause in it that automatically voided the contract if Asomugha failed to meet a several required thresholds. I believe one of them was "have more interceptions in the second year of the contract than the first" which he did not meet (as Asomugha rarely intercepts the football.)

Since the contract was voided by a clause in the contract, he became a free agent like any other.

Patler
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
The contract had a clause in it that automatically voided the contract if Asomugha failed to meet a several required thresholds. I believe one of them was "have more interceptions in the second year of the contract than the first" which he did not meet (as Asomugha rarely intercepts the football.)

Since the contract was voided by a clause in the contract, he became a free agent like any other.

I know it's something like that, but that doesn't sound quite right. A straight performance clause typically makes the contract voidable at the option of the team, and the team would have to elect to void it, in which case they would not get compensation. As I recall, his was a rather peculiar twist on some performance/bonus provisions that resulted in the contract terminating.

This is going to drive me absolutely crazy until I find out again what it is.

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I know it's something like that, but that doesn't sound quite right. A straight performance clause typically makes the contract voidable at the option of the team, and the team would have to elect to void it, in which case they would not get compensation. As I recall, his was a rather peculiar twist on some performance/bonus provisions that resulted in the contract terminating.

I think the difference is between "a performance clause gives the team the option to void" and "a clause causes the contract to void, regardless of what the team or the player would prefer."

It's entirely likely that the Raiders wrote that contract specifically so that Asomugha would never see the third year, and the Raiders wouldn't lose a compensatory pick in the process.

Patler
03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Several articles talk about an "unusual" provision that voided the contract. The unusual aspect I have found is that there were both likely-to-be-earned and unlikely-to-be-earned bonuses, and the contract stipulated that if neither were met the contract voided, and Oakland could not designate him as a franchise player.

If one had been met but not the other, it would not have voided. One article from Oakland said if he had just recovered a fumble it would not have voided, and likely would not have voided if he had not missed two games, because a "plays" clause would have been met.

Guiness
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

In this case, I don't think it was a team option, the contract just automatically voided when the criteria weren't met. From the wording, it seems like it was intended to protect the Raiders if his performance slipped - he only had to meet one of several targets to trigger the last year of the deal but it backfired on them his numbers were low because no one threw his way. His numbers didn't get better because HE got better! Oakland probably would have preferred the contract not end, although he was supposed to be paid the QB franchise tag number, which is pretty insane, even by Al Davis standards.

from the original Schefter article

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.

woodbuck27
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Here is what I have. I know another poster had a link to someone they thought had a good track record. Not sure if that site is included here.

Rules: adamjt13.blogspot.com

Predictions: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

A 4th (Jenkins), 4th (Colledge), 7th (Jackson), 7th (Spitz)

Losing Korey Hall would have qualified for a pick but he has the Packers at the maximum 4.

Two 4's (plus)... Nice.

Upnorth
03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
They are building a line around Colledge??? Must ahve fixed his pad level.

red
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM

they must not be setting their sights very high

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
they must not be setting their sights very high

They are the Arizona Cardinals...

Patler
03-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Ya, I read that in an article toward the end of the season, maybe after the season. They talked about improvements needed in the o-line, but said LG was locked done by the solid play from Colledge. I suppose it matters who he is compared to.

Lurker64
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Ya, I read that in an article toward the end of the season, maybe after the season. They talked about improvements needed in the o-line, but said LG was locked done by the solid play from Colledge. I suppose it matters who he is compared to.

Along these lines, I suppose our opinion of Colledge is colored somewhat by how much T.J. Lang improved the LG position last season.

smuggler
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Lang > Colledge and I don't think there's much room for debate on the topic.

RashanGary
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Two 4ths are nice.

Jolly, Bishop, Crosby, Sitton, Flynn, Lang, Starks and a host of others from last years draft who could step up.

He's averaging about 1 good starter per year 4th round and later. Having 3 - 4th round picks and 3 - 7th round picks really increases our odds of hitting 2 this year. And we've had a lot of depth players who haven't been awful that I didn't list too. But quality, long term, core players. . . We hit about 1 each year with Sitton being the lone probowl caliber player.

RashanGary
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I'd be surprised if we keep our normal 4th and 7th round picks. The way Thompson does things with the tiers, odds are he's not going to want to pick 3 guys almost in a row.

Here are the trades I think would be most likely to occur

4th and 5th to move up to the early part of the 4th round
4th, 5th and 6th to move up into the end of the third/front of the 4th
4th, 5th and 7th to move up into the front of the 4th
6th and 7th to move up in the 6th round
3rd and 5th to move up a couple spots in the 3rd round
3rd, 4th and 5th to move up to the front of the 3rd round

One way or another, I highly doubt we're going to sit tight with both our 4th and 7th round picks.

Fritz
03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
I think that two fourths and a seventh are about right. Will the Pack even get a pick for Jackson, as he was out for the year?

Fourth round picks...everything from Josh Sitton to Jeremy Thompson.

Iron Mike
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I'd be surprised if we keep our normal 4th and 7th round picks. The way Thompson does things with the tiers, odds are he's not going to want to pick 3 guys almost in a row.

Here are the trades I think would be most likely to occur

4th and 5th to move up to the early part of the 4th round
4th, 5th and 6th to move up into the end of the third/front of the 4th
4th, 5th and 7th to move up into the front of the 4th
6th and 7th to move up in the 6th round
3rd and 5th to move up a couple spots in the 3rd round
3rd, 4th and 5th to move up to the front of the 3rd round

One way or another, I highly doubt we're going to sit tight with both our 4th and 7th round picks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you trade compensatory picks???

RashanGary
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you trade compensatory picks???

Yeah. We'd have to trade our normal 4th and normal 7th if we want to do it.

smuggler
03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
JH is right, the comp picks are untradeable. However, we also have a seventh round pick from the Jets (for Caleb Schlaudershit) which we can trade.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Compensatory Picks Announced: https://twitter.com/#!/packers/status/184351741804945408

2-4ths and 2-7ths and Kuhn would have been another 7th but 4 is the max.

Just as this guy predicted: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23759-Compensatory-picks-this-year&p=658270&viewfull=1#post658270

Or this guy: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice job, so we have one 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd, three 4ths, one 5th, one 6th, and four 7ths? Here's hoping for a Mark Tauscher or Donald Driver in the 7th round.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/NFLfootballinfo/status/184367580218265600

32 compensatory picks in all, to 15 teams, GB, NY and Cleveland have 4 each.

Cheesehead Craig
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/NFLfootballinfo/status/184367580218265600

32 compensatory picks in all, to 15 teams, GB, NY and Cleveland have 4 each.

With all these picks, TT won't have to trade down to get more picks, we've got what? 11-12 picks now in this draft?

Patler
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Here's hoping for a Mark Tauscher or Donald Driver in the 7th round.

I would rather have another Scott Wells in the 7th!

mraynrand
03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
With all these picks, TT won't have to trade down to get more picks, we've got what? 11-12 picks now in this draft?

Ted could trade up!

Patler
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Perhaps I wasn't crazy? Oakland received only a 7th round pick, and the article on nfl.com lists them as having lost only Cornell Green. Nothing for Asomugha. Several sites insisted that they would get compensation for him, but it never really made any sense to me, no matter how it was twisted, turned or analyzed.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/TomSilverstein/status/184372805486395392

@TomSilverstein

So, Packers' compensatory picks are: Nos. 133, 134, 241 and 243 overall.

mraynrand
03-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Perhaps I wasn't crazy? Oakland received only a 7th round pick, and the article on nfl.com lists them as having lost only Cornell Green. Nothing for Asomugha. Several sites insisted that they would get compensation for him, but it never really made any sense to me, no matter how it was twisted, turned or analyzed.

yep, you got it right. But that contract is weird. You would think the NFL wouldn't want to have contracts that can be voided if the player plays poorly. OK, now look at that sentence and it doesn't make sense. What I mean is that you don't want a player to be able to scuttle a contract by playing lousy football. It seems like a very strange fine line - if a player has a clause to void a contract based on performance, and he wants out, he can dog it - but that should reduce his value as well as make any future team very nervous. Should be self correcting, no? I don't think Asomugha dogged it, but it still seems strange.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Silverstein Tweets that Oakland got the only 3rd round compensatory pick.

mraynrand
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM

I take back the part about "yep, you got it right" Patler. :(

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/NFL345/status/184374836859125762
link to PR

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2012-compensatory-draft-picks2.pdf
link to PDF of picks

mmmdk
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Compensatory Picks Announced: https://twitter.com/#!/packers/status/184351741804945408

2-4ths and 2-7ths and Kuhn would have been another 7th but 4 is the max.

Just as this guy predicted: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23759-Compensatory-picks-this-year&p=658270&viewfull=1#post658270

Or this guy: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

I just jizzed in my pants! :pack:

Patler
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Yup. I am crazy.

Article I was reading discussed picks awarded this year, but then had a list of 2011 picks awarded, and 2010 FAs lost. For example, they listed only Kampman for the Packers.

I quit!

pbmax
03-26-2012, 03:53 PM
ROUND CHOICE/
ROUND OVERALL SELECTION TEAM
3 33-95 Oakland
4 33-128 Minnesota
34-129 Oakland
35-130 Baltimore
36-131 New York Giants
37-132 Green Bay
38-133 Green Bay
39-134 Minnesota
40-135 Dallas
5 33-168 Oakland
34-169 Baltimore
35-170 Indianapolis
6 33-202 New York Jets
34-203 New York Jets
35-204 Cleveland
36-205 Cleveland
37-206 Indianapolis
38-207 Carolina
7 33-240 Pittsburgh
34-241 Green Bay
35-242 New York Jets
36-243 Green Bay
37-244 New York Jets
38-245 Cleveland
39-246 Pittsburgh
40-247 Cleveland
41-248 Pittsburgh
42-249 Atlanta
43-250 San Diego
44-251 Buffalo
45-252 St. Louis
46-253 Indianapolis

smuggler
03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Minny also got two fourth rounders.

MadScientist
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM

I would rather have another Scott Wells in the 7th!

There are 4 7th round picks, enough to get the next Wells, Driver, Taucher and Flynn. Make it happen Ted.

Patler
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
There are 4 7th round picks, enough to get the next Wells, Driver, Taucher and Flynn. Make it happen Ted.

They really don't need another Matt Flynn. How about another Adam Timmerman instead?
Heck, Ill take a Dave Tollefson or Keith McKenzie!

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh, I think we very much could use another Matt Flynn. I think I'd take another Flynn over Timmerman right now. I think Lang and Sitton have the OG spots on lock down.

Patler
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh, I think we very much could use another Matt Flynn. I think I'd take another Flynn over Timmerman right now. I think Lang and Sitton have the OG spots on lock down.

Why do they need a guy who sits around for four years, then leaves in free agency? :-D

I am more concerned with depth in the O-line than I am with depth at QB. "Flynn II" isn't going to be much help this year or next anyway, if Rodgers goes down... Its different on the O-line, where a Super Bowl run doesn't have to be torpedoed if a rookie steps in. Lang could always move to RT, Bulaga to LT and "Timmerman II" at LG. Long term, Lang could move to center as Timmerman II moves in seamlessly in 2013 at LG.

Maybe EDS is good enough. I don't know.

sharpe1027
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Tough call. Being able to win a couple games with a backup QB can make the difference for playoffs; however, the chances of a lineman going down are much greater -- there are five of them.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Why do they need a guy who sits around for four years, then leaves in free agency? :-D

I am more concerned with depth in the O-line than I am with depth at QB. "Flynn II" isn't going to be much help this year or next anyway, if Rodgers goes down... Its different on the O-line, where a Super Bowl run doesn't have to be torpedoed if a rookie steps in. Lang could always move to RT, Bulaga to LT and "Timmerman II" at LG. Long term, Lang could move to center as Timmerman II moves in seamlessly in 2013 at LG.

Maybe EDS is good enough. I don't know.

Wasn't there another Packer lineman of relatively recent vintage who was thought of as the perfect stop gap backup (you could survive and win with him for a couple of games) but who was considered a non-starter as a starter?

Does that remind anyone of a O lineman the Packers kept around for a while? Its been bugging me since the center discussion about EDS. You might not want to start him, but you don't want to lose him. The Jarret Bush of the O line.

Bretsky
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Marshall Newhouse

Patler
03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Wasn't there another Packer lineman of relatively recent vintage who was thought of as the perfect stop gap backup (you could survive and win with him for a couple of games) but who was considered a non-starter as a starter?

Does that remind anyone of a O lineman the Packers kept around for a while? Its been bugging me since the center discussion about EDS. You might not want to start him, but you don't want to lose him. The Jarret Bush of the O line.

Not sure who you might be thinking of, but the one who they really talked up for that role was Adrian Klemm going into his second Packer season. They called him a "super-sub" for both guard and tackle, saying in hindsight he was a tackle more than guard anyway. But, a torn achilles ended his career in TC.

pbmax
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Tony Moll.

Wow. My memory is getting bad. Had to go to the Packers All-Time roster to find the name. Barry Stokes and Grey Ruegamer would also have qualified, but they weren't the name I had in mind.

mraynrand
03-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Ahh, a Timmerman mention. Gotta love a native of Cherokee, Iowa!

woodbuck27
03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
ROUND CHOICE/
ROUND OVERALL SELECTION TEAM
3 33-95 Oakland
4 33-128 Minnesota
34-129 Oakland
35-130 Baltimore
36-131 New York Giants
37-132 Green Bay
38-133 Green Bay
39-134 Minnesota
40-135 Dallas
5 33-168 Oakland
34-169 Baltimore
35-170 Indianapolis
6 33-202 New York Jets
34-203 New York Jets
35-204 Cleveland
36-205 Cleveland
37-206 Indianapolis
38-207 Carolina
7 33-240 Pittsburgh
34-241 Green Bay
35-242 New York Jets
36-243 Green Bay
37-244 New York Jets
38-245 Cleveland
39-246 Pittsburgh
40-247 Cleveland
41-248 Pittsburgh
42-249 Atlanta
43-250 San Diego
44-251 Buffalo
45-252 St. Louis
46-253 Indianapolis

Nice job. Here's a LINK to the NFL.Com article on all 2012 Compensatory Picks.

Artkicle published ...8:53 PM Mon. 26 March, 2012.

A total of 32 compensatory choices in the 2012 NFL Draft have been awarded to 15 teams, the NFL announced Monday.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827e13f2/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-15-clubs?module=HP11_headline_stack

Now we have a Bonanza 12 Draft Pickes overall. Nine picks after the first 3 picks in Rounds 1-3.

The 2012 NFL Draft will kick off in prime time. Round 1 will start Thursday, April 26 at 8 p.m. ET. The 2nd and 3rd rounds are set for Friday, April 27, 7 p.m. ** Rounds 4 through 7 will be held Saturday, April 28, at noon.

Will Packers GM Ted Thompson have a field day during rounds 4-7 Sat. April 28 ?

This draft will be a key to the Green Bay Packers future success. Ted Thompson is looking at all the angles very carefully.

Draft order:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82640c81/article/2012-nfl-draft-order

woodbuck27
03-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Tough call. Being able to win a couple games with a backup QB can make the difference for playoffs; however, the chances of a lineman going down are much greater -- there are five of them.

** "Our team is 'only' as strong as Aaron Rodgers backup."

From... "An NFL team is only as strong as it's backup QB."

** Is that an accurate statement?

Iron Mike
03-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Kevin Barry.

woodbuck27
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Kevin Barry.

? this fella ?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Barry_(American_football)

woodbuck27
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/nfl-announces-full-2012-draft-order/

NFL announces full 2012 draft order ( following awarding of Compensatory Picks).

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT