PDA

View Full Version : Manny Lawson???

BlueBrewer
03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Supposedly the Packer are "in discussions" with Manny Lawson. I know he has a little name recognition from being a high pick in the 2006 draft but is he an upgrade over any of the OLB bums we currently have? I for one would be willing to try anything at this point.

ND72
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
He's had flashes of success, but has never amounted to what teams had hoped. I'd be willing to give him a chance over the guys we currently have, I think he'd still be an upgrade. and maybe we strike gold!

Cheesehead Craig
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
If there's not a link from PFT, it's not really a story.

sheepshead
03-21-2012, 08:57 AM

:-D

KYPack
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
I attend a lot of Bengal games. People always ask me, why? My answer would be what I first thought when I 1st saw Manny Lawson. I saw him make a force and immediately thought, "we outta sign him, he'll only be here a year". "We" is the Packers of course.

But after a year of watching this guy, I still don't really know. The guy is huge. He's listed at 6'5", but he may be taller. He has long arms and is super fast. The first time you see him live, you wonder "who the hell is that"? He is a stud He will make a really brilliant play at least once a game. He sets the edge really well, can play the simple pass cover well and will stuff any run play he can read. He's all-world then, right? not so fast. Any play with a false key will always fool this kid. He's a straight forward player in a league filled with trickery.

His big flaw is his reads. If he takes his time and scopes the play out, he's a step or two behind. if he throws caution to the wind and just tries to make plays, he gets the shit fooled out of him. He pretty similar to...Erik Walden.

He's a great kid, real smart, well spoken. He won't ever get wasted after a ball game, go home & beat the shit out of his woman.

Could the coaching of Capers and Greenie really help this kid and get him going?

Maybe, but I still can't tell if that would help the kid. He tries, but he's simply not an instinctive type LB. And we already got enough of them.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
I attend a lot of Bengal games. People always ask me, why? My answer would be what I first thought when I 1st saw Manny Lawson. I saw him make a force and immediately thought, "we outta sign him, he'll only be here a year". "We" is the Packers of course.

But after a year of watching this guy, I still don't really know. The guy is huge. He's listed at 6'5", but he may be taller. He has long arms and is super fast. The first time you see him live, you wonder "who the hell is that"? He is a stud He will make a really brilliant play at least once a game. He sets the edge really well, can play the simple pass cover well and will stuff any run play he can read. He's all-world then, right? not so fast. Any play with a false key will always fool this kid. He's a straight forward player in a league filled with trickery.

His big flaw is his reads. If he takes his time and scopes the play out, he's a step or two behind. if he throws caution to the wind and just tries to make plays, he gets the shit fooled out of him. He pretty similar to...Erik Walden.

He's a great kid, real smart, well spoken. He won't ever get wasted after a ball game, go home & beat the shit out of his woman.

Could the coaching of Capers and Greenie really help this kid and get him going?

Maybe, but I still can't tell if that would help the kid. He tries, but he's simply not an instinctive type LB. And we already got enough of them.

Thanks KY that's some insight we can have confidence in. I think your implying at least that Manny Lawson is puzzling in terms of consistent play throughout a game.

Is that right? I'mm going to dig on that payer and will come back with all I can get to help us here. I'm watching so many players and happenings right now I may be confused. I thought late last night ( tues. 20 March, 2012) that Manny Lawson was in Cleveland after a visit to Green Bay. I need to recheck that too.

OK here it is and it seems that given the way Free Agency goes. The Browns are in the drivers seat RE: signing Manny Lawson:

http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/10004687

Upnorth
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Unless he can pass rush how would he help the D? I'm not saying we need an all world OLB passer rusher, but a threat to take some heat of Raji and CMIII.

Old School
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
With Lawson and Brad Jones we'd hav e two of the smartest linebackers in the league. Would that smarts translated to execution on the football field.

KYPack
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Goddamn Woody Wood Buck.

I ain't implying that, I'm tellin' ya. He's wildly inconsistent, physically gifted player. He gets fooled too much. He doesn't have a lot of finess, either. He's an old stand up DE that was converted to LB. For a former DE, his pass rush totally sucks. He is strong at some things, but a LT can block him easily when rushing the passer. The guy has zero pass rushing moves. No swims, no spins, no rips, nothin'. Just a str8 bull rush right at the LT.

Fooler plays and key breakers work like a champ on Lawson. What's the oldest key breaker in the world? The reverse, right? Teams run a couple 3 reverses to Lawson's side a game. At least one of 'em will work like hell. It's freakish, but the guy still can't read stuff like that.

All that shit said, I'm not down on him. He has a combination of speed and strength second to none. You can't throw over him in cover. His arms are super long. If he has a valid read, he's tough as hell to block. His speed to size ratio might be tops in the NFL. Nobody his size is faster than Manny Lawson. Lawson is also a little out of position. He's a natural 3-4 LOLB. he's playing a a 4-3 a lot in Cincy and that really ain't his thing.

I don't think we get him. He's making 3 million on a one year deal in Cincy. He'll sign a 2-4 yr deal with a bonus someplace. I don't think the GBP will win the bid for this puzzling, but intriguing player.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Goddamn Woody Wood Buck.

I ain't implying that, I'm tellin' ya. He's wildly inconsistent, physically gifted player. He gets fooled too much. He doesn't have a lot of finess, either. He's an old stand up DE that was converted to LB. For a former DE, his pass rush totally sucks. He is strong at some things, but a LT can block him easily when rushing the passer. The guy has zero pass rushing moves. No swims, no spins, no rips, nothin'. Just a str8 bull rush right at the LT.

Fooler plays and key breakers work like a champ on Lawson. What's the oldest key breaker in the world? The reverse, right? Teams run a couple 3 reverses to Lawson's side a game. At least one of 'em will work like hell. It's freakish, but the guy still can't read stuff like that.

All that shit said, I'm not down on him. He has a combination of speed and strength second to none. You can't throw over him in cover. His arms are super long. If he has a valid read, he's tough as hell to block. His speed to size ratio might be tops in the NFL. Nobody his size is faster than Manny Lawson. Lawson is also a little out of position. He's a natural 3-4 LOLB. he's playing a a 4-3 a lot in Cincy and that really ain't his thing.

I don't think we get him. He's making 3 million on a one year deal in Cincy. He'll sign a 2-4 yr deal with a bonus someplace. I don't think the GBP will win the bid for this puzzling, but intriguing player.

Hey come on. I'm down with you Packer fan.

I meant...... are you 'implying it might be puzzling? why??' he plays with the inconsistency that he does given his skill set. Given that I'm wondering if he can be coached up in our system. All that likely moot as Ted won't land Manny Lawson or want him ...even. He's in Cleveland and as I write this 'the Browhs ' may be inking Manny Lawson.

Funny how one man's coal is another man's diamond.

I'm confident that you see him accurately as a prospect for us.That your scouting report is reliable. here is support for your observation of Manny Lawson:

"excellent initial quickness and acceleration, he typically relies on speed alone to get to the quarterback rather than also developing his technique"

Have a great day KY. (-:

mraynrand
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM

gud one!

http://screenhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/steve-martin-pink-panther.jpg

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Goddamn Woody Wood Buck.

Kinda reminds me of that song by Santa Esmeralda...Ohh Lord Please Don't.....

Something in the air? (-;

KY here's my post on the Free Agency watch thread:

Wed. 21 March,2012 10:15 AM EDT.... Re: Manny Lawson.....

http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/10004687 (http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/10004687)

Bengals’ Manny Lawson draws interest from Cleveland Browns (http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/10004687)

By Sam Drew (http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/1000author/samdrew) on March 21st, 2012 at 9:37 am

Comment woodbuck27:

it would seem from this story that Manny Lawson may have been added to the BROWNS 'shopping list'.

Here is **a quote (and I redirect you to KYPack's observations first hand RE: Manny Lawson on that thread that, recently posted RE: Manny Lawson)

**that supports KY's observations and report on this player.

from.... http://www.samdrewtakeson.com/archives/10004687

"excellent initial quickness and acceleration, he typically relies on speed alone to get to the quarterback rather than also developing his technique"

KYPack
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Just rattling your crazy little cage, oh Canadian wonder.

I like Old School's comment. Lawson IS a lot like Brad Jones. & we don't need another one of them. If we sign a FA LB or pass rusher,I want him to be a total asshole. We need more crazy ass guys that will wreak a little havoc.

mraynrand
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemwyPnen4Y

mraynrand
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
There's some Manny Lawson in here - and even a Samkon Gado sighting. I'll post some clips from the niners at GB 2010 if I get the chance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637nGGzi2Tc&NR=1&feature=endscreen

mraynrand
03-21-2012, 10:49 AM

I like Old School's comment. Lawson IS a lot like Brad Jones. & we don't need another one of them. If we sign a FA LB or pass rusher,I want him to be a total asshole. We need more crazy ass guys that will wreak a little havoc.

Lawson can be intimidating. He's tall and imposing. I see the Packers looking at him to play limited snaps on specific downs where he won't have a lot of reads - if they get him.

KYPack
03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Lawson can be intimidating. He's tall and imposing. I see the Packers looking at him to play limited snaps on specific downs where he won't have a lot of reads - if they get him.

I know what ya mean, MRD.

But that's a luxury. That's situation guy and Lawson will get 3 down money.

He isn't a 3 down player.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 11:32 AM

The weather is way too nice ... I'm too happy to be alive to get too upset about 'a good Ole Packer fan' like you KY.

When you post specific info. on anything. I'm learning from it. If I can afford it...buying it !

KY Question?

I'm wondering about your weather. What's the temperature down there?

It's 'actually hot' here in the almost GREAT White North. 75-77 degree F. Clear BLUE sky...zero clouds.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
If Kevin Greene can coach Zombo and Walden into something serviceable and Matthews into something special, might he get more out of Lawson than what he's shown so far?

Freak Out
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Any Brad Jones highlights like that? :)

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Any Brad Jones highlights like that? :)

Straight ahead .... he's something else. He just can't 'bob and weave'.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-browns/2012/3/21/2889925/manny-lawson-nfl-free-agency-2012-cleveland-browns

NFL Free Agency 2012: Browns Not Interested In Manny Lawson, According To Report

Mar 21 10:13 AM

"The Browns are not interested in former Bengals (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cincinnati-bengals) linebacker Manny Lawson, a league source said today.
Scout.com reported Tuesday that the Browns were one of a handful of teams pursuing the former Bengals linebacker. The reports said the Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/oakland-raiders) and Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts) were also interested, and the Packers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/green-bay-packers) were in talks to acquire him, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Tuesday." from story LINK above

Fritz
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Look, the guy's been in the league for what, six years now? If he ain't gotten coached up yet, it ain't gonna happen.

It's not like guys coaching at the NFL level don't know how to coach a guy at a position. (Except maybe James Campen and Kurt Schottenheimer.) If his previous coaches couldn't teach him how to make reads, Kevin Greene isn't going to make it happen, either.

Skip paying him starter's money if he's Brad Jones 2.0.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
The guy may not be great, but come on, he's better than the trio we have there. There's isn't much available at OLB. If it's a reasonable deal on a shorter contract, then why not? I don't want to sign him for something that will eat into the pool that Jennings, Matthews, Rodgers extensions will come from though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113548-packers-under-the-radar-signing-of-manny-lawson-could-be-a-significant-upgrade

PFF gave Walden a pass rush rating on the season of -1.9 and a run defense rating of -15.9. Taking all statistics into account, Walden earned an overall defensive rating of -20.5. This was by far the worst rating for a 3-4 OLB in the entire league.

Lawson earned an overall defensive rating of +10.6 from PFF, a sizable difference from Walden's -20.6.

Lawson's PFF grade for pass rushing was +1.1, which looks good next to Walden's -1.9. Walden's atrocious -15.9 grade against the run isn't even in the same ballpark as Manny Lawson, who received a +8.1 grade in that department.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
The guy may not be great, but come on, he's better than the trio we have there. There's isn't much available at OLB. If it's a reasonable deal on a shorter contract, then why not? I don't want to sign him for something that will eat into the pool that Jennings, Matthews, Rodgers extensions will come from though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113548-packers-under-the-radar-signing-of-manny-lawson-could-be-a-significant-upgrade

An appreciable and impressive difference. We must let a fellow ( Eric Walden ) that played over the top for us in our Super Bowl run>>>> go ! His future in the NFL may be over.

Freak Out
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Holy shit people....this team needs help in the OLB department....bad. If the guy is an upgrade and the price is right lets do this.

Patler
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Look, the guy's been in the league for what, six years now? If he ain't gotten coached up yet, it ain't gonna happen.

It's not like guys coaching at the NFL level don't know how to coach a guy at a position. (Except maybe James Campen and Kurt Schottenheimer.) If his previous coaches couldn't teach him how to make reads, Kevin Greene isn't going to make it happen, either.

Skip paying him starter's money if he's Brad Jones 2.0.

Reading his pre-draft evaluations, it seems he lacked technique in pass-rushing. If there is an area that Greene might be able to teach that maybe some others are less adept at, it is pass rushing as a 3-4 linebacker.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Reading his pre-draft evaluations, it seems he lacked technique in pass-rushing. If there is an area that Greene might be able to teach that maybe some others are less adept at, it is pass rushing as a 3-4 linebacker.

As far as I'm aware. Manny Lawson is unsigned. He signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Bengals last offseason.

BlueBrewer
03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
As far as I'm aware. Manny Lawson is unsigned. He signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Bengals last offseason.

No shit ehh!

This is about what could possibly be done, you hoser.

woodbuck27
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
No shit ehh!

This is about what could possibly be done, you hoser.

Ehh!? LOL

** hoser!?? A term we don't often hear applied to us Canucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoser

Do you think TT can scrape up $3 Million$ per year for 27 year old LB Manny Lawson? Is our cupboard that full to eat a tad more?

KYPack
03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
If Kevin Greene can coach Zombo and Walden into something serviceable and Matthews into something special, might he get more out of Lawson than what he's shown so far?

Maybe not, big boy.

He's had Mike Zimmer, Mike Singletary, two top D coaches and they haven't fixed him a lick. Zimmer is totally done on the guy. One thing Lawson defintely does is hold the edge. It's the "foolin" problem that kicks his ass. He got fooled on a quick screen last season and Zimmer chewed his ass in front of God and everybody. The guy busts his ass, but he just can't get it right.

Watch Lawson on a quick WR reverse.

This is "the Problem"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b653c5/Murphy-43-yard-gain

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Singletary was the head coach in San Fran, and their defense improved dramatically after he left. Of course, Lawson left too, but that's balanced out by how much the Bengals defense improved last year (4.4 yards/rush in 2010 to 3.9 in 2011, 27 sacks in 2010 to 47 in 2011).

KYPack
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Singletary was the head coach in San Fran, and their defense improved dramatically after he left. Of course, Lawson left too, but that's balanced out by how much the Bengals defense improved last year (4.4 yards/rush in 2010 to 3.9 in 2011, 27 sacks in 2010 to 47 in 2011).

Singletary was also Lawson's position coach at SF. He was no HC, but he could coach some LB's.

Lawson is great against the run, BTW. If he's got position, you can't move the boy.

He is a physical talent, but just has the holes in his game we've been discussing.

Freak Out
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
ok....there is one sure fire way to tell if Lawson might work out in GB....how did Bretsky feel about him during the draft that year. :)

Patler
03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Singletary was also Lawson's position coach at SF. He was no HC, but he could coach some LB's.

Lawson is great against the run, BTW. If he's got position, you can't move the boy.

He is a physical talent, but just has the holes in his game we've been discussing.

I'm wondering if SIngletary can coach LBs or not. There was talk in MN this year that his old buddy Frazier was going to fire him because he failed to show up at position meetings, and pretty much did no preparation. Hard to say if he put in an effort with Lawson or not. Perhaps his rep as a player clouded the perception of him as a position coach. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I wonder how many position coaches Lawson had in SF.

pbmax
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
If Lawson can both cover and hold the edge in the running game, then he seems very similar to Jones, doesn't he?

I thought the reason Jones simply get a second go at his position is that he couldn't pass rush a lick. But perhaps there are other issues.

So again, if Lawson can both cover and hold the edge, he is a 100% upgrade over oft-injured Zombo and fell into a well Walden. But getting the offense into 3rd and long won't help if someone else can't rush the QB.

pbmax
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm wondering if SIngletary can coach LBs or not. There was talk in MN this year that his old buddy Frazier was going to fire him because he failed to show up at position meetings, and pretty much did no preparation. Hard to say if he put in an effort with Lawson or not. Perhaps his rep as a player clouded the perception of him as a position coach. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I wonder how many position coaches Lawson had in SF.

Second hand reporter type info or 34th hand retold stories by the good folks in Minnesota? Because I was sure Mike Singletary was the embodiment of God as a coach according to the message boards and talking heads.

Brandon494
03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Hes better then what we have only because of his speed. He would not solve our pass rushing problem but would be an upgrade at ROLB. If we can get him for cheap I say go ahead and get a deal done.

Fritz
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm not terribly excited about seeing a reverse on third and twenty-two go for thirty-one yards on Lawson's side.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Hes better then what we have only because of his speed. He would not solve our pass rushing problem but would be an upgrade at ROLB. If we can get him for cheap I say go ahead and get a deal done.

Agreed.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
If Lawson can both cover and hold the edge in the running game, then he seems very similar to Jones, doesn't he?

Except that Jones is merely average at things he does best--which might be better than the other two guys we have but that's not saying much. I don't think Jones is good at anything--just better in some things than others. He hasn't been real durable either. Lawson has been the starter for 16 games with two different teams and two different schemes, right? (Didn't Cincinnati play a 4-3 last year?) We saw enough of Walden to know that if Jones was good at anything, he would have been on the field more. Lawson's pass rush may be suspect, but it sounds like he is actually good against the run and in coverage.

We probably won't get him, but if we do, I trust Thompson will get him at a bargain rate.
:)

George Cumby
03-21-2012, 11:34 PM
ML got jobbed on the reverse, but have J-W-Z made any plays like that interception? I can't recall anything like that from that trio.

Patler
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Lawson has managed to hold down a starting job since his rookie year for at least three different head coaches. Not one of the members of the committee the Packers have opposite Matthews can distinguish themselves enough in any area to do that. I think Lawson would be an upgrade, warts and all.

Pugger
03-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Is Lawson an outside or inside LBer?

HarveyWallbangers
03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Weak/Right OLB

pbmax
03-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Weak/Right OLB

Has he played extensively/exclusively on the Right? Because run stuffing, TE covering OLB would scream Left side to me.

Having a Wayne Simmons flashback now. Gonna need a moment to compose myself ....

woodbuck27
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Except that Jones is merely average at things he does best--which might be better than the other two guys we have but that's not saying much. I don't think Jones is good at anything--just better in some things than others. He hasn't been real durable either. Lawson has been the starter for 16 games with two different teams and two different schemes, right? (Didn't Cincinnati play a 4-3 last year?) We saw enough of Walden to know that if Jones was good at anything, he would have been on the field more. Lawson's pass rush may be suspect, but it sounds like he is actually good against the run and in coverage.

We probably won't get him, but if we do, I trust Thompson will get him at a bargain rate.
:)

As you pointed out previously Harvey. Manny Lawson will be an upgrade and based on his last contract (not that that might play a huge part in negotiating with him) Manny Lawson may come to us if Ted Thompson covets him?

Ted Thompson may sign Manny Lawson for something in the order of $1.5 to 3 Million$ per season. Ted Thompson is limited at present in terms of CAP space and his other needs for that CAP money.

That fact must be considered in terms of any acquisitions to upgrade the team. That fact may be the overriding factor. The one that ties Ted Thompsons hands.

GO PACKERS !

GO Ted Thompson.

KYPack
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
I tend to think that much of this is moot bc we won't be able to afford Lawson. He should get a 2-3 yr deal for 8-12 million from somebody. That is probably too rich for our budget.

He has played both sides in his career, BTW.

He is a step up from what we have, but his downside can be significant.

We do have some resources that could improve big Manny.

Wood is a DC on the field. He could help Lawson avoid giving up the big play on a bad read. Trgo seems to be a decent line coach, maybe he can conjure a pass rush out of Lawson. Kevin Green's vast knowlege hasn't helped out present 3 stooge group at ROLB, but Manny may be more receptive.

I'd say we've got a 5 - 10% chance of landing this talented, but flawed guy.

HarveyWallbangers
03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Kevin Green's vast knowlege hasn't helped out present 3 stooge group at ROLB, but Manny may be more receptive.

Your points are valid, but I might disagree with this. Their is a talent ceiling with the three guys we have. Greene has actually gotten a lot of these marginal talents. Jones was a late round pick who has looked surprisingly average at time. I just don't know that there is any upside. Zombo was an undrafted rookie free agent who has looked surprisingly average at times. There is a talent ceiling there also, and injuries have set him back. Walden has played much better than you'd expect from someone with his pedigree. One thing is for certain, Lawson doesn't have an athletic ceiling. It would be interesting to see Greene get his hands on this guy.

ND72
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Your points are valid, but I might disagree with this. Their is a talent ceiling with the three guys we have. Greene has actually gotten a lot of these marginal talents. Jones was a late round pick who has looked surprisingly average at time. I just don't know that there is any upside. Zombo was an undrafted rookie free agent who has looked surprisingly average at times. There is a talent ceiling there also, and injuries have set him back. Walden has played much better than you'd expect from someone with his pedigree. One thing is for certain, Lawson doesn't have an athletic ceiling. It would be interesting to see Greene get his hands on this guy.

Totally agree. We likely got the top end out of those guys. I really like the idea of Lawson. It would also put us in better position in the draft to truly take the best player there instead of seeing gaps all over the place. We could take a Center, or DE or DB or still a LB at that spot round 1. But also gives us that chance to take a guy like an Irving from West Virginia in round 3, kind of a raw guy, let him learn and develop.

Had this conversation with a buddy of mine last night, I'm all for the draft and develop philosophy, but these guys still need to develop. if they don't, you can still use free agency as a tool, and Lawson could be such a guy to use...I almost said "tool" and it felt wrong to call him a tool. Pat Lee is a good for instance...guy is kind of raw, but has some talent, but he didn't develop.

KYPack
03-22-2012, 10:28 AM

The upside with Lawson is the run play. This guy is deadly at holding the point and keeping contain. If he was on our roster last season there is NO way you would see a debacle like the KC game where the whole ROLB committee blew contain on 4-5 plays.

Maybe Kevin Green can work some magic with the big guy if we get him.

I haven't given up on Zombo or Jones. Walden, I think he's half nuts.

woodbuck27
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM

http://nflnr.com/2012/03/colts-interested-signing-lawson/

6 Hours ago....

Colts interested in signing Lawson? (http://nflnr.com/2012/03/colts-interested-signing-lawson/)

Written by Chris Kolb (http://nflnr.com/) ..... Thursday 22 March 2012

woodbuck27
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Packers: Under-the-Radar Signing of Manny Lawson Could Be a Significant Upgrade

By

Marques Eversoll (http://bleacherreport.com/users/539061-marques-eversoll)

(Contributor) on March 21, 2012

Deputy Nutz
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
The Packers have no viable options opposite Clay Mathews, that was on the roster in 2011. Lawson is an upgrade, simple as that. He is physically gifted, can hold the point, and when in coverage does a decent job. Three things that I can't say about Walden, or Zombo, or Jones.

I wouldn't be willing to pay Lawson a whole heck of a lot, but if he you are looking for a solution to the problem, he is one solution.

I agree with Ky, and Harvey, Lawson isn't a pro bowl caliber player, heck he might not even be an average starter, but that beats the shit out of what the Packers currently have as options.

Lurker64
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I definitely would endorse bringing in Lawson if the price is right. Even if he's not "the answer" at OLB opposite Clay, he definitely does buy time for somebody else to develop/emerge as "the answer". Even if we do draft a conversion project at OLB at #28, there's no guarantee he'll be able to play right away outside of special packages.

red
03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
this NC state tea, was stacked his last year, and there was a lot of talk about mario being drafted by us, so i watched as much of this team as i could.

the guy that stood out head and shoulders above everyone else on that team was lawson.

he started out in college playing OLB then moved to right DE. there is a ton of raw talent there that i don't think the 49ers or the bengals managed to tap. green might just be able to get through to the guy

i want this signing to happen. i get more excited the more i think about it

George Cumby
03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
this NC state tea, was stacked his last year, and there was a lot of talk about mario being drafted by us, so i watched as much of this team as i could.

the guy that stood out head and shoulders above everyone else on that team was lawson.

he started out in college playing OLB then moved to right DE. there is a ton of raw talent there that i don't think the 49ers or the bengals managed to tap. green might just be able to get through to the guy

+1

mission
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
+7

Bretsky
03-22-2012, 11:10 PM

Well we're screwed.....you and TT rarely see eye to yet

DEAR RED,

I needed all the money to sign Lawson but we're a little strapped because I chose to resign J Bush.

Sincerely,
TED THOMPSON

SnakeLH2006
03-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Meh....on the cheap Manny is ok. Why not draft a guy? Cmatty was 24th...

KYPack
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Thought I'd post about some of the things that Lawson does really well. He has flaws, but there are some areas of his game that stand out.

As said, he a run stuffing monster. You can't run many running plays to his side. He eats stretch plays alive. With those long ass arms, he's all world at shedding blockers. At his size, he's still as fast as most running backs. On combo blocks to his inside, he's just as lethal. There isn't a FB in the NFL that can dig him out on an inside run. Most teams gameplan him on the run by going the other way. He's that much of a run stopper.

In cover, he's damned good. He does have a tendency to drop into cover too quickly, probably bc he's a converted DE. But he's quick and reads pass routes fairly well. With those arms, you'd be insane to throw over the guy. He also can jump like an NBA player. Supposedly at the combine, he outjumped the machine that measures jumping?!?

If the guy could rush the passer effectively every once in awhile, he's be one of the top paid LB's in the league.

But he can't.

At all.

His edge rush is awful. He's so long and gangly, when he goes wide, even poor tackles just ride him wide, out of the play. He generally has one pass rush move. he makes a weak bull rush, right at the tackle. Every time, over and over again. You'd think he use those arms to swim or rip every so often. But no, weak bull rush after weak bull rush is all he does.

I'd say sign him if we can.

I just don't think we can land the guy. Our cap is way too tight. There is NFW 3 mil per year gets this guy. He'll sign at least a couple year deal for 8 mil or more someplace.

Patler
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Thought I'd post about some of the things that Lawson does really well. He has flaws, but there are some areas of his game that stand out.

As said, he a run stuffing monster. You can't run many running plays to his side. He eats stretch plays alive. With those long ass arms, he's all world at shedding blockers. At his size, he's still as fast as most running backs. On combo blocks to his inside, he's just as lethal. There isn't a FB in the NFL that can dig him out on an inside run. Most teams gameplan him on the run by going the other way. He's that much of a run stopper.

In cover, he's damned good. He does have a tendency to drop into cover too quickly, probably bc he's a converted DE. But he's quick and reads pass routes fairly well. With those arms, you'd be insane to throw over the guy. He also can jump like an NBA player. Supposedly at the combine, he outjumped the machine that measures jumping?!?

If the guy could rush the passer effectively every once in awhile, he's be one of the top paid LB's in the league.

But he can't.

At all.

His edge rush is awful. He's so long and gangly, when he goes wide, even poor tackles just ride him wide, out of the play. He generally has one pass rush move. he makes a weak bull rush, right at the tackle. Every time, over and over again. You'd think he use those arms to swim or rip every so often. But no, weak bull rush after weak bull rush is all he does.

I'd say sign him if we can.

I just don't think we can land the guy. Our cap is way too tight. There is NFW 3 mil per year gets this guy. He'll sign at least a couple year deal for 8 mil or more someplace.

That is why he is very interesting to me. He would be better than what the Packers had last year in run defense and pass coverage. His weakness in pass rushing is the exact thing that Kevin Greene might be the best at helping him, and might be the area that KG has more expertise in than other coaches Lawson has had. With Lawson's speed and quickness, he doesn't have to be a great technition, just good enough to get an advantage to where his speed takes over, and a variety of moves that are just "OK" might do it for him. After all, he doesn't need to be an All-Pro to improve the position dramatically.

Fritz
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Agreed; however, my major concern is KY's description of his other weakness: the inability to read his keys and be fooled on reverses and end-arounds. There are too many big plays to be had against a guy like that. Is that worth four mill a year for three years? Probably not. Three mill a year for two years? I'll say yes - until it happens to him on a third and twenty-four that goes for twenty-eight in a playoff game.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Agreed; however, my major concern is KY's description of his other weakness: the inability to read his keys and be fooled on reverses and end-arounds. There are too many big plays to be had against a guy like that. Is that worth four mill a year for three years? Probably not. Three mill a year for two years? I'll say yes - until it happens to him on a third and twenty-four that goes for twenty-eight in a playoff game.

The guys we have playing ROLB now have the same weakness (except for Jones maybe) without the other strengths. There are no 3-4 OLBs on the market without a weakness. Might as well upgrade, if the price and years are right.

red
03-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Well we're screwed.....you and TT rarely see eye to yet

DEAR RED,

I needed all the money to sign Lawson but we're a little strapped because I chose to resign J Bush.

Sincerely,
TED THOMPSON

LOL, good god, i didn't even think of that

FU TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
That is why he is very interesting to me. He would be better than what the Packers had last year in run defense and pass coverage. His weakness in pass rushing is the exact thing that Kevin Greene might be the best at helping him, and might be the area that KG has more expertise in than other coaches Lawson has had. With Lawson's speed and quickness, he doesn't have to be a great technition, just good enough to get an advantage to where his speed takes over, and a variety of moves that are just "OK" might do it for him. After all, he doesn't need to be an All-Pro to improve the position dramatically.

KGB had 1 move (if you can call that a move) and he was able to put a lot of pressure on QB's because of his speed. he just sucked defending the run

Freak Out
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Well....now that Muir is back we sure as shit wont have the $$$ for Lawson. DAYUM TT!

Fritz
03-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Maybe Ted will surprise everyone and draft a ROLB in the first or second round of the draft. That'd be a novel move...to draft for immediate need, with the great agreement of most of Packer fandom.

Personally, though, I think defensive ends are harder to come by. If TT's going to draft by need (okay, okay, he's not), I'd rather see him go after a DE in the first round.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Well....now that Muir is back we sure as shit wont have the $$$ for Lawson. DAYUM TT!

Word is that Muir's deal is a low money deal, so I wouldn't worry about this affecting the chances of getting Lawson. Saturday, on the other hand, may have ate into any deal for Lawson.

Freak Out
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Word is that Muir's deal is a low money deal, so I wouldn't worry about this affecting the chances of getting Lawson. Saturday, on the other hand, may have ate into any deal for Lawson.

I was being facetious in regards to Muir, but your probably correct about the Saturday money. Has the terms been announced?

pbmax
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
OK, everyone stop changing your avatars!

mraynrand
03-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Never!

Freak Out
03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Ha ha!

pbmax
03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Ha ha!

I blame Swede, he started all this. For all those years he was Curly Lambeau and I don't even remember what he is now. Joemailman is GBRulz, Rand is me. CHAOS!

If the Bikini Girls disappear, its going to be mass hysteria.

Smidgeon
03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Never!

:D

I can't remember the last time I actually laughed out loud at a post. That was good.

woodbuck27
03-24-2012, 04:14 AM
LOL, good god, i didn't even think of that

FU TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If TT spends the money he used on TE Jermichael Finley and CB/ST's Jarrett Bush to suit another plan!

TT might have Manny Lawson and another BUSH named Michael on our roster and ...... $money$ in the bank.

NOT that I understand TT's plan. That plan, 'of course' trumps all else.

KYPack
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Minor bumpola. There is an article on the Bengals site in which Marvin Lewis states the Bengals will resign Lawson. That means Lawson will get a decent offer from Cincy. They usually ignore FA's and pretend they don't exist.

Lawson is probably a better answer for a 4-3 team. His lack of pass rush is less of a negative for a 4-3 team as opposed to a Capers 3-4 which relies on OLB's for rushing the QB.

ND72
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM

If they disappear I'm leaving...

woodbuck27
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Sunday, March 25, 2012

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/24/SP6M1NPSCQ.DTL

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3692&line=230593&spln=1

According to the above LINK and reports elsewhere. The Bengals may retain Manny Lawson

pbmax
03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Wilde, from a source, says the Packers are not chasing Manny Lawson and were never chasing Manny Lawson.

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonjwilde/status/184721795771940864

Cheesehead Craig
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM

You stop making your avatar a variation on mine.

pbmax
03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I am hoping the Bikini girls pose for a closeup and get Fritz's head photoshopped on their bodies.

Cheesehead Craig
03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I am hoping the Bikini girls pose for a closeup and get Fritz's head photoshopped on their bodies.

You'll know we jumped the shark if Patler changes his avatar.

Lurker64
03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Wilde, from a source, says the Packers are not chasing Manny Lawson and were never chasing Manny Lawson.

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonjwilde/status/184721795771940864

Depending on what he ends up signing for, this might be for the best. I mean, there's no reason to spend 8x as much as Brad Jones for 1.5x the player.

pbmax
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/TyDunne/status/184798665456615424

Tyler Dunne redefines "interest" in Manny Lawson as interested in Lawson until he would not schedule a visit without an acceptable contract offer first.*

So, like courting, interest has levels, including at one point meeting the parents and asking how much you can make when you go into the family business.

* This has often been given as the reason Ted and Green Bay don't get more visits, that they will not negotiate or guarantee an offer with an agent before a visit, so as to avoid bidding against themselves or giving other teams a target. However, if the interest was high enough, say Woodson or Pickett, I bet there are ways around this.

Bretsky
03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Depending on what he ends up signing for, this might be for the best. I mean, there's no reason to spend 8x as much as Brad Jones for 1.5x the player.

There is no reason to carry a guy on the roster if he's only 1.5x as good as Brad Jones

Patler
03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
You'll know we jumped the shark if Patler changes his avatar.

CHANGE MY AVATAR? NEVER!

(I suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to post links to articles. :cnf:)

Freak Out
03-28-2012, 02:08 AM
The Mayans are dancing a feisty jig....it has begun.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 04:33 AM
I blame Swede, he started all this. For all those years he was Curly Lambeau and I don't even remember what he is now. Joemailman is GBRulz, Rand is me. CHAOS!

Damn and I've just been me.Goodm Ole woodbuck27 ...what's wrong with me. I can't even photoshop and In do things like post LINKS when asked to andn post information to tickle everyone's fancy.I just bust myb ass to make Packerrats the best NFL football form on the planet.

Damn I'm screwed up! Is their any room to book the Packerrats Therapist. I must need help.

Wait.....just a minute...Let's see.... that sip of coffee changed something. Ahhhhhh there that Canadian Coffee is really good....I think...wait ..yes I think.....

I'm ...yes I am....I'm OK.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 04:40 AM
GIANT
CHANGE MY AVATAR? NEVER!

(I suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to post links to articles. :cnf:)

Yea but Patler that there moose. It's not alive. It's like a picture ..it's got no life to it.

Ohh as to your feelings about posting LINKS to interesting stuff about NFL happenings.

Go for it Packer fan. That would sure take a load off of Ole woodbuck27. Sure be apprciated ... Ole Chum.

and for the sake of Peter...get some Geritol into that moose you got up there PRONTO. It's certainly lackin' Piss and Vinegar.

It's so still, so lifeless.... it has to soon fall over. Get it some water and some feed fast....or I'm contacting the S.P.C.A. or oiling up my gun.That fricken moose you got there.....It's definitely in need of putin' out to pasture.

That can't be 'a Canadian Moose' !! A Canadian MOOSE can run all day. Climb small mountains and cross great streams and lakes. It pisses like a hose and GRUNTS louder than a lion. Canadian MOOSE are BIG TIME. Magestic or Noble Creatures. The PRIZE of the forest. Their meat sweet and never to be samples except at special times. Times when the MOOSE is honoured. As it lived wonderfully it's death is honoured with grace.

Some 'blotto clowns' pay huge money and travel all the way to my beautiful country and don't check it out right. Instead they coop themselves up in a moldy old log cabin somewhere North of 'too much woods' and try to communicate with Natives. Get way to drunk to find their rifle; moreso carry , aim and fire it to hit the broad side of a barn. Still these poor souls venture out in swampland to theirn rumpside and shakin' ...teeth a chatterin' get too excited when the guide calls one of OUR REALLY Big and NOBLE Fellas into gun range and..... If the guide doesn't shoot that POOR GIANT Creature ...that fella with hamroids now and sittin' on them all the way to wherever the sucker calls home. Can't brag about baging the BIG ONE.

Geeesssshhh !

Fritz
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM

My god, man, that's the stuff of nightmares!

SnakeLH2006
03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
My god, man, that's the stuff of nightmares!

Fap fap fap. ;-)

KYPack
03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Good new, bad news.

A. The Bikini girls will live forever.

B. Lawson will resign with the Bengals, not that many cared.

woodbuck27
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Good new, bad news.

A. The Bikini girls will live forever.

B. Lawson will resign with the Bengals, not that many cared.

Don't you mean:

Good news and good news? (-: