PDA

View Full Version : HOFer Lem Barney wishes he’d never played football.

woodbuck27
03-24-2012, 09:00 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/hall-of-famer-lem-barney-wishes-hed-never-played-football/

Hall of Famer Lem Barney wishes he’d never played football

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 24, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT

gbgary
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
not to diminish the effect of cumulative concussions, or anything else these guys suffer during their careers in that brutal sport, but a lot of this stuff is normal for guys in their later years no matter what they did for a living. i'm 58, work in the air conditioning and heating industry (service tech for 25 years...service manager for the last 12) and i've got lower back issues, had an acl reconstruction, a cartilage clean-out (other knee), all work related. i don't sleep great either, wake up with a some back pain everyday which subsides some, but never really goes away, during the day. who doesn't suffer some mental lapses, of one sort or another, as they get older, etc, etc? back surgery and/or knee replacement surgeries may in in my future some day...who knows. any of us might end up with dementia. it's all part of the struggle of life...or death...it shall be life. sorry, could keep from throwing in a josey wales reference. :)

josey wales meets ten bears (http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=14995)

Patler
03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree gbgary, not everything these guys are suffering from can be attributed to having played football. Some of it is attributed to getting older. Many, many older adults from all walks of life do not sleep through the nights, have memory lapses, failing joints, cranky backs, loss of sensations, "tingly" feelings; etc. I'm not discounting all that they have experienced; but the fact is that the human body does break down; and sometimes things you did for long periods of time that were physical in nature come back and haunt you. It's not only football.

Kiwon
03-24-2012, 06:59 PM
As an aside, I used to know a guy that played in the late 50's, early 60's and he had the scars to prove it. It's a different world since then.

However, I think this current class-action suit over concussions is just the tip of the iceberg, especially if the US goes the route of government socialized medicine. Just as the rules regarding hits on QBs, receivers, and method of tackling are impacting the game, I think this mentality will continue.

I agree with Troy Aikman that the assumption that the NFL will always be the most popular sport in America is erroneous. Tinker with the product too much and you can fundamentally change the nature of the game for the worse.

Harlan Huckleby
03-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I agree gbgary, not everything these guys are suffering from can be attributed to having played football. Some of it is attributed to getting older. Many, many older adults from all walks of life do not sleep through the nights, have memory lapses, failing joints, cranky backs, loss of sensations, "tingly" feelings; etc. I'm not discounting all that they have experienced; but the fact is that the human body does break down; and sometimes things you did for long periods of time that were physical in nature come back and haunt you. It's not only football.

A problem with football, though, is those guys are so bulked-up. In particular, the linemen are circus freaks.

I remember when KEn Ruettgers retired he lost something like 80 pounds right away, and he was relatively fit as a pro. He said he knew he had to do it to have a healthy after-football life. Not sure all football players are able and ready to adjust physically to life after being an athlete, many of them put-on weight rather than slim down after retirement.

woodbuck27
03-25-2012, 06:41 AM
not to diminish the effect of cumulative concussions, or anything else these guys suffer during their careers in that brutal sport, but a lot of this stuff is normal for guys in their later years no matter what they did for a living. i'm 58, work in the air conditioning and heating industry (service tech for 25 years...service manager for the last 12) and i've got lower back issues, had an acl reconstruction, a cartilage clean-out (other knee), all work related. i don't sleep great either, wake up with a some back pain everyday which subsides some, but never really goes away, during the day. who doesn't suffer some mental lapses, of one sort or another, as they get older, etc, etc? back surgery and/or knee replacement surgeries may in in my future some day...who knows. any of us might end up with dementia. it's all part of the struggle of life...or death...it shall be life. sorry, could keep from throwing in a josey wales reference. :)

josey wales meets ten bears (http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=14995)

Josey Wales ! Cool.

When I was doing my BEd at the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick. UNB - 1988

I recall a particular course day and listening to a tape of the condition 20 out of 25 of us will end up in; in the course of our lives.

Statistically this fella on the tape was teling me, that 80 % of us will eith end up going clinically insane or becoming victims of dimentia.

I won't challenge that fella and his claims but just wondering did that claim hold water or was he out to lunch?

I realize that most people at some point need someone to wipe their ass Yet does that person also have to flush the toilet?

KalamazooPackerFan
03-25-2012, 06:45 AM
A problem with football, though, is those guys are so bulked-up. In particular, the linemen are circus freaks.

I remember when KEn Ruettgers retired he lost something like 80 pounds right away, and he was relatively fit as a pro. He said he knew he had to do it to have a healthy after-football life. Not sure all football players are able and ready to adjust physically to life after being an athlete, many of them put-on weight rather than slim down after retirement.

And that may be the determining factor for alot of the post football health issues with the sole exception of CTE/post concussion issues. As a nurse I've taken care of a number of former pro and college football players and they had a whole host of physical problems that were not much different than the issues a morbidly obese person would have. Not surprisingly, they were all former linemen who had not lost any of the weight they carried during their playing days.

woodbuck27
03-25-2012, 06:57 AM
generally

Some people realize that they took for granted a simple act like tying their shoe laces.

Getting in and out of a car.

Running when necessary. Walking without a cane. Eating anything later in the evening.

Urinating once before bedtime and holding on till it's 7-8 hours of continuous rest in bed.

For men.... a healthy prostrate !?

Positions and SEX !!? You'll get a puzzeled look from many over 60 years on that one. They'd simply like to enjoy 'any sex' comfortably.

A sharp memory. So many people never had one and many lose their memory rapidly with age. They lose their sharpness and capascity for re-call.

Good nerves once ..... become shaky.

We will all deteriorate over the years at a certain pace generally decided by your lifestyle. There's a secret to good living **.

In 2003 I began to lose weight rapidly. My friends noticed that before I did. I went to see the DOC. We began to run some tests. I returned to his office one day and he had a bad report for me. My body was filled with anti-bodies. my DOC was so concerned he couldn't even look at me when he passed on this report. He set up an appointment with a Speialist and still losing weight and observing his concerned reaction I assumed the worst. I thought I had CANCER.

I began to tell friends of this possibility and lived with the hard reality that I might soon pass away. I began to make my funeral arrangements and shore up my will. I accepted the immenince of death. Late that Fall I was informed I had GRAVES Disease. I began a treatment proces that I will continue the rest of my time here. On Christmas Eve 2003 I weighed a paltry 128 pounds. I had a long road back to proper health. I had to completely overhaul my life...live a different lifestyle. Slowly I recoverd my weight and muscle mass. today I'm grateful for decent health. I weigh a solid 175v pounds. I'm 5 feet 9 inchs tall and solid muscle. I'm in good physical shape and work as hard as i ever did. I had a wake up call. Graves Disease ( an over active and growing thyroid ) was eating me up.

All those things....... that once, we never had a concern for.

Many people realize the meaning of 'taking something for granted ' in their personal lives. I was one of those as I felt i was untouchable...indestructable.

In my latter life I"m constantly challenged to do this good thing for me. To live best I can....a balanced life. Eat with concern for balance. Rest when required and NOT to push it. To not worry. Take life events in stride and don't overreact in a destructive sense. Believe in yourself and constantly re-educate and grow. Try hard to be kind with yourself and others but never sacrifuce your integrity. Examine your esteem constantly in terms of a healthy ego drive.

** The greatest gift I can pass on to y'all.

Try to discover the best way or means of 'living in balance'. Live 'a balanced lifestyle'.

Another ...somehow do 'only' that which makes you very HAPPY.

Pugger
03-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking with the attention given to concussions in the game today we won't in the future see as many guys with memory problems like McMahon has today. Not too long ago if you got your "bell rung" as they used to call it you'd get a dose of smelling salts and sent back out after your head cleared. Now they hide your helmet and you can't play again unless you pass a few tests.

woodbuck27
03-25-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking with the attention given to concussions in the game today we won't in the future see as many guys with memory problems like McMahon has today. Not too long ago if you got your "bell rung" as they used to call it you'd get a dose of smelling salts and sent back out after your head cleared. Now they hide your helmet and you can't play again unless you pass a few tests.

Yes. Reference The NHL and Sydney Crosby.

pbmax
03-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Unless you are on the Cleveland Browns. Then its diagnosed as an injury to his finger. EDIT: They said he was complaining about his hand. You see, if a concussive hit is not seen live by medical personnel or the trainers, then it didn't actually happen until after the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/14/holmgren-its-unfair-to-criticize-browns-on-colt-mccoys-concussion/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

Kiwon
03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
126 former players suing the NFL over head injuries. Tip of the iceberg....

If there is a settlement, what will the precedent be? Will there be rule changes for the field to protect the players and indemnify the NFL from further lawsuits? Will the NFL overreact to save themselves some money? How do you make a fundamentally violent sport that men choose to play safe? How much risk to one's health must a player voluntarily assume in order to play football professionally?

Mark Rypien is lead plaintiff in lawsuit against NFL over head injuries

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/27/rypien-lead-plaintiff-lawsuit-nfl-head-injuries/

pbmax
03-28-2012, 09:06 AM
I suspect this quote will make it somewhere in the trial as research material

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said that the Redskins had a similar way of doing business during his playing days. Players who made big plays during the season could wind up with televisions, stereos or other rewards for their play, although Mayhew said that there weren’t gifts handed out for big hits.

I would love to know what they were handed out for.

via: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/jim-schwartz-offered-rewards-for-big-defensive-plays-but-no-money/

source: http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/SPORTS01/203280396/Lions-Jim-Schwartz-says-he-used-small-scale-rewards-instead-of-bounties

Fritz
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Maybe it's a good thing McMahon has memory problems. Then he won't remember what an asshat he was.

Kiwon
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
"...this is not about trying to win hundreds of millions of dollars" says one ex-player.

While I sympathize with the players, money is exactly what these lawsuits are about.

Prediction: This lawsuit will eventually bring changes in all of the major professional sports. Just watch.
.................................................. .......................................

NFL concussion lawsuits keep adding former players

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Pro Football Writer

A few quotes........

Ex-players say in their federal suit that, ....the league didn’t do enough to inform players about the dangers of head injuries and protect them from concussions in the past, and it isn’t doing enough to take care of them today.

What began last summer as a couple of cases with a handful of plaintiffs is growing week by week...

Rypien said. “If that’s the only thing we get out of this, that’s a win. We can make some changes, so these guys (playing in the NFL now) don’t have to endure what some of us are enduring.”

Of the ex-players … They relied on the league as their medical experts and the league withheld medical information that could have improved all of these guys’ lives,” Mitnick said. “You have to put health before money, and you have to put health before the word `win.”’

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-concussionlawsuits

MadtownPacker
03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Umm Kiwon, you need to homie read this sticky up top about posting articles man.

Kiwon
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Umm Kiwon, you need to homie read this sticky up top about posting articles man.

My bad. A few quotes are okay or just the link?

MadtownPacker
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
My bad. A few quotes are okay or just
address the link?
From what the lawyer wannabes on here have told me I think a quote is fine. Though you not reading the announcement thread is cause for a caning.

Kiwon
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
From what the lawyer wannabes on here have told me I think a quote is fine. Though you not reading the announcement thread is cause for a caning.

Will you talk dirty to me too? :-)

I did read it days ago, but........ (fill in the blank with a lame excuse)