PDA

View Full Version : YGBKM---NFL.COM's latest Power Rankings

Bretsky
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827e6cbc/article/how-does-free-agency-impact-nfl-hierarchy-bears-hit-top-five?module=HP11_content_stream

Who is underrated and who is overrated ? Time for some homer juice to flow again !!

Bretsky
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Clearly the Rams are rated way too low ! :)

Joemailman
03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Saints at #7? They don't have a head coach, they've lost Robert Meacham, Tracy Porter, and Carl Nicks, and may lose Jonathan Vilma.

Also, it looks like they're drinking the Brandon Marshall Kool-Aid.

HarveyWallbangers
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Bears are overrated. Texans also. I could see the Chiefs surprising. The Panthers are underrated. It's hard to ever rank the Chargers at #21 with Rivers at QB. He'll bounce back.

woodbuck27
03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
That poll for the greatest extent is as a result of Free Agency activity and IMO it's prudent for any NFL GM to keep a close eye on the foe.

That's one reason I created the Free Agency 2012 Activity Thread. Some members here enjoy having all that information in their Green Bay Packer Home. I didn't go to all that work to piss any member off.

The Bears have been busy. The Bears were bust in FAcy. They are considered as making solid FA moves. Did that lend to someone deciding to move them way up in this Power Rankings? Right there with us and 'of course' any member here can challenge that ranking in any respect do so. We will see posts possibly doing just that. Have fun !

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
03-27-2012, 11:34 PM
The Bears finished 7 games behind us, but they are now ranked #5 while we sit at #4. Okay. Paper champions.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 05:17 AM
The Bears finished 7 games behind us, but they are now ranked #5 while we sit at #4. Okay. Paper champions.

LOL really. Let's see it happenn in matchups.

this stuff is there because some fella needs to keep a job. He has a life to protect.

wist43
03-28-2012, 06:14 AM
The Packers are overrated - calling Green Bay's defense "suspect" is being kind. It's Aaron Rodgers, a very good receiving corp, average OL, and a completely laughable defense. Rodgers makes them a top 10 team, but after Rodgers and the receiving corp, the rest of the roster is average at best.

Bretsky
03-28-2012, 06:24 AM
The Packers are overrated - calling Green Bay's defense "suspect" is being kind. It's Aaron Rodgers, a very good receiving corp, average OL, and a completely laughable defense. Rodgers makes them a top 10 team, but after Rodgers and the receiving corp, the rest of the roster is average at best.

I'd rank the Packers top 5

I can see our defense improving to be closer to SF's than their offense improving to be closer to ours.

Bretsky
03-28-2012, 06:26 AM

A lot of people will judge the Bears to be much higher since they had a very good record until Cutler went down. While it has some merit to me the team seems to be aging.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Rankings ..spankings. They mean about the same thing. A ... so what !

Offense:

I will take a 'wait and see ' RE: Our OL.

We need a new leader to take over from Scott Wells and we hope that jeff Saturday is the response to that. The offensive line is like Family.

Will Chad Clifton give us anything close to a real season? What do we really have behind Chad Clifton?

It cannot be over stressed the value of our OL in terms related to protecting Aaron rodgers and without this awesome QB we are as it stands now.....

TOAST........ Burnt toast. Ted thompson has to sign a solid backup QB and that cannot be over stressed as one of his TOP priorities. That's a fact.

Will Ted thompson retain the leadership of Donald Driver and the fact he is a legitimate 3rd or 4th WR. Certainly roster worthy. the trade off is the packers future at WR and the need to develop our new blood at that position.

TT signed as our No. 1 TE Jermichael Finley. Do we need so many roster spots tied up at that position?

Defense:

I consider Raji and Matthews premium players on our starting defense.

I'm cautiously considering Charles Woodson as a wonderful addition to our team through Free Agency that may be either overloaded ,overwhelmed or on a certain curve of decline?

The health issues for S Nick Collins are a real concern. A healthy Nick Collins assists a sound Charles Woodson. Did we not truly appreciate the value of Nick Collins? When he went down our 'D' looked like a 'house of cards', IMO. (-:

Without certain pass rush help Clay Matthews is compromised.

Do we have anything close to an efficient 'Nickle Package'?

How long will Pickett stand up?

Pugger
03-28-2012, 06:50 AM

Yes, the Packers were 15-1 but it was all smoke and mirrors. *sarcasm off*

If we address the pass rush that will fix a lot what ails the defense and we'll be right back in the playoffs. The Giants were pretty mediocre until their pass rushers got healthy near the end of the season.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 07:07 AM

If we address the pass rush that will fix a lot what ails the defense and we'll be right back in the playoffs. The Giants were pretty mediocre until their pass rushers got healthy near the end of the season.

Your point is valid but have you looked at this from a darker side/

Imagine now we are a few games into the season and Aaron Rogers really gets whacked.He's diagnosed with a serious concussion.

Where is our team in that given 'dark scenario'? What is our current back up plan? how has ted thompson to date provided for our team considering that worst case player goes down for season possible reality?

I am certainly hoping to be enlightened. Help me out there please.

wist43
03-28-2012, 07:49 AM

My point would be - at least the Giants had pass rushers to get healthy... we don't have any, and that's the problem.

Not only do we not have any pass rushers, we all know Ted is just as likely to go WR,OL,RB in the first 3 rounds of the draft as he is to address the front seven.

So the long and short of it is... unless TT recognizes he has a major problem with his front seven, and adjusts his approach this off season accordingly, then we can fully expect another dismal defense in '12.

sharpe1027
03-28-2012, 09:56 AM
My point would be - at least the Giants had pass rushers to get healthy... we don't have any, and that's the problem.

Not only do we not have any pass rushers, we all know Ted is just as likely to go WR,OL,RB in the first 3 rounds of the draft as he is to address the front seven.

So the long and short of it is... unless TT recognizes he has a major problem with his front seven, and adjusts his approach this off season accordingly, then we can fully expect another dismal defense in '12.

I think the counter point is that they were one of the best, if not the best, teams in football for most of the year and that was with the dismal defense. While it can be frustrating to watch, it is hard to argue with the results.

sheepshead
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM

sharpe1027
03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

I couldn't agree more. Preseason, everyone loves the team that signs free agents with big names. Once the regular season rolls around, everyone forgets the preseason hype and reality sets in.

wist43
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd say the Bears are pretty close to the Packers. As a team, the Bears are better across the board... what puts us over the top is Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, and Nelson.

Tony Oday
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Wist does it cause you physical pain every time Hawk makes a play or the Packers win?

wist43
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Wist does it cause you physical pain every time Hawk makes a play or the Packers win?

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying Hawk stunk last year... is that a revelation??

And while it is appropriate to make allowances for the poor defensive numbers by citing our high-powered offense as a contributing factor, it is still nonetheless true that the roster is very average, and the front seven nothing short of woeful. I don't pay as close attention to the NFL as I used to, but I can't imagine any other team has a worse front seven than we do. Our secondary is potentially one of the best in the league, but that front seven is God-awful.

sharpe1027
03-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying Hawk stunk last year... is that a revelation??

And while it is appropriate to make allowances for the poor defensive numbers by citing our high-powered offense as a contributing factor, it is still nonetheless true that the roster is very average, and the front seven nothing short of woeful. I don't pay as close attention to the NFL as I used to, but I can't imagine any other team has a worse front seven than we do. Our secondary is potentially one of the best in the league, but that front seven is God-awful.

I have to disagree. I feel that if you were to apply the same critical eye to other teams (being equally harsh as you are with the Packers), you would be horrified at how many other team's rosters are below this "average."

Some people over-value their teams players, others are over critical. When a team goes 15-1 and you evaluate their talent as average, which category are you most likely to be in? :)

Smidgeon
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I'd say the Bears are pretty close to the Packers. As a team, the Bears are better across the board... what puts us over the top is Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, and Nelson.

Not Matthews or Raji? Do you think the Bears have comparable value or do you think the Packers fanbase overvalues them?

Pugger
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM

If TT doesn't address the pass rush he deserves censure. But I'm gonna wait until after the draft and FA first.

woodbuck27
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
If TT doesn't address the pass rush he deserves censure. But I'm gonna wait until after the draft and FA first.

Ted Thompson certainly knows he has to address the pass rush as otherwise his pick of clay matthews is neutralized on the field of play. We need a strong rusher on the opposite side of Clay Matthews and make him more that an almost ZERO.

Sorry No sun glasses or crippled moose look tonight. Just me posting you. Those other fellas... my brothers Minni ,Minney and Mo.

wist43
03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
I have to disagree. I feel that if you were to apply the same critical eye to other teams (being equally harsh as you are with the Packers), you would be horrified at how many other team's rosters are below this "average."

Some people over-value their teams players, others are over critical. When a team goes 15-1 and you evaluate their talent as average, which category are you most likely to be in? :)

An elite QB can carry a team - look at Peyton Manning. With Manning the Colts were a playoff team and SB contender - w/o him, they have the first pick in the draft. The Packers and Patriots are in the same boat as Indy was... completely QB driven, with an overriding emphasis on offense. Defense is the red headed step child.

Without Rodgers?? yes, the Packers are average on offense, and still pathetic on defense.

Fritz
03-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Wist, I'm glad to see that success (A Super Bowl followed by a 15-2 season) hasn't changed you.

Smeefers
03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
An elite QB can carry a team - look at Peyton Manning. With Manning the Colts were a playoff team and SB contender - w/o him, they have the first pick in the draft. The Packers and Patriots are in the same boat as Indy was... completely QB driven, with an overriding emphasis on offense. Defense is the red headed step child.

Without Rodgers?? yes, the Packers are average on offense, and still pathetic on defense.

There's no telling what record the colts would have had if Payton had played with them. I remember Favre going 4-12 with the Pack and he was an elite QB at the time. Probably the same age too. When Rodgers did sit out a game, the back up QB only had a record setting day. We Have a hand full of spots that are horrible, but we have many many spots that are well above average. Our O-line, wr corps, qb, secondary, st's and d-line are are all either average or above. The only unit I really have a problem with is our LB corps, and that's because we had absolutely no one opposite clay.

Iron Mike
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
A lot of people will judge the Bears to be much higher since they had a very good record until Cutler went down. While it has some merit to me the team seems to be aging.

Have I mentioned the fact that since the 1990s, the Packers' record vs. the Bears is 29-16???

Maybe that's why these idiots don't show up around here anymore....

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Packer%20Pics/typicalbearsfan.jpg

wist43
03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Not Matthews or Raji? Do you think the Bears have comparable value or do you think the Packers fanbase overvalues them?

I like Raji and Matthews... there is some talent on the defensive side, but Raji and Matthews - and throw Pickett in there... are the only NFL calibur front seven players we have on the roster. The secondary is solid, notwithstanding last year's poor performance. Bottom line is, if you can't pressure the QB, you can't play good defense in the NFL; and the Packers can't pressure the Quarterback.

Pugger
03-29-2012, 08:11 AM
There's no telling what record the colts would have had if Payton had played with them. I remember Favre going 4-12 with the Pack and he was an elite QB at the time. Probably the same age too. When Rodgers did sit out a game, the back up QB only had a record setting day. We Have a hand full of spots that are horrible, but we have many many spots that are well above average. Our O-line, wr corps, qb, secondary, st's and d-line are are all either average or above. The only unit I really have a problem with is our LB corps, and that's because we had absolutely no one opposite clay.

I was in complete agreement with you until you said d-line. Our D line is not average. This is one area that we need to address along with ROLB. Pickett and Raji are fine but you need more than 2 decent D linemen these days.

Pugger
03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I like Raji and Matthews... there is some talent on the defensive side, but Raji and Matthews - and throw Pickett in there... are the only NFL calibur front seven players we have on the roster. The secondary is solid, notwithstanding last year's poor performance. Bottom line is, if you can't pressure the QB, you can't play good defense in the NFL; and the Packers can't pressure the Quarterback.

Not yet. Do you feel this cannot be addressed in the upcoming draft?

wist43
03-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Not yet. Do you feel this cannot be addressed in the upcoming draft?

Sure it can be addressed... but will it be addressed?? Ted doesn't draft to fill holes, he drafts players - what position they play is an afterthought.

I don't consider drafting 5 7th rounders addressing the problem.

sharpe1027
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
I was in complete agreement with you until you said d-line. Our D line is not average. This is one area that we need to address along with ROLB. Pickett and Raji are fine but you need more than 2 decent D linemen these days.

D-line depth is a concern. The drop off after those two is huge.

sharpe1027
03-29-2012, 11:32 AM

With Flynn they were anything but average. Perhaps Flynn is an elite QB, or perhaps he is an average QB that looked elite because of the offense around him. I'm not saying that a terrible QB will do well, but I believe that the difference between an average QB and an elite QB is often the right offense and supporting cast.

IMHO, QB is the most over-hyped position in all of football. They get too much credit and too much blame for the offense.

I'm not disagreeing that the defense could stand some significant upgrades. I just think that the whole product is a pretty damn good roster top to bottom. All teams have their weaknesses, it is not just the Packers.

woodbuck27
03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Have I mentioned the fact that since the 1990s, the Packers' record vs. the Bears is 29-16???

Maybe that's why these idiots don't show up around here anymore....

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Packer%20Pics/typicalbearsfan.jpg

An the Guiness Book Of World Records Reports>>>

smuggler
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I like Raji and Matthews... there is some talent on the defensive side, but Raji and Matthews - and throw Pickett in there... are the only NFL calibur front seven players we have on the roster.

Dude, Bishop is NFL caliber no doubt. He can blitz and can thump. He was exposed by being forced into coverage because Hawk is so lame at coverage.

Smeefers
03-30-2012, 08:05 AM

I don't think it's the front 3's job to rush the QB. They're run stoppers and hole pluggers. If you look at our run stopping last year, we were middle of the pack at 14. That's why I say they were average.

Tony Oday
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Worst team in football I mean we went 2-15 last year...