PDA

View Full Version : WOODSON BACK IN TAMPA! Would you be happy with.....

gbpackfan
04-11-2006, 10:28 PM
NFL Network reported that TT's offer to Woodson wasn't even in the ballpark. I find this hard to believe but so be it. Woodson is rumored to be back in Tampa finishing up a deal there.

However, would you be happy if we now went after Ahmad Plummer, Lavar Arrington and Chad Williams?

What do you think?

Bretsky
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
NFL Network reported that TT's offer to Woodson wasn't even in the ballpark. I find this hard to believe but so be it. Woodson is rumored to be back in Tampa finishing up a deal there.

However, would you be happy if we now went after Ahmad Plummer, Lavar Arrington and Chad Williams?

What do you think?

If TT's goal is to tease the fans and want us to beat our heads against a wall to feel better about his lack of action, he's doing a hell of a job accoplishing that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I heard that the offer to Woodson wasn't sufficient, but where did you hear Woodson was in Tampa Bay working out a deal?

Is that speculation or fact? JSO has an article that makes it sound like Woodson is willing to wait out a deal.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Arrington? Yes.

Plummer? As a fallback if we can't get Woodson or Law.

Williams? I don't see the big need unless they can get him to a mimimum deal. Actually, I think Williams has some talent, so if he's willing to come in to compete, then fine.

GBRulz
04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm really curious to know what kind of a lowball offer TT gave him.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Ted Thompsonstein probably offered Woodson a one year deal at about 4 million. That will really knock your socks off.

Harlan Huckleby
04-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, Ted's rebuilding. He's got a 5-year contract. And he knows damn well the fans aren't goin anywhere.

gbpackfan
04-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Bret,

None of this is fact so take it for it's worth. I just heard it, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Partial
04-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Frontload frontload frontload!!!

Fritz
04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Why would you pay Woodson anything close to what he's asking? Corners live and die by their speed and he's a guy who has broken his leg and has not played a whole lot the last two years. What makes anybody think that if TT throws a mound on money at the guy he's suddenly going to be healthy and regain his speed? Once an NFL player starts to decline, it is very difficult to reverse that.

Ditto for Arrington. The guy couldn't/wouldn't work in Greg Williams's system in Washington, has played only sporadically the last two years, and a lot of people on this forum want to spread $100 dollar bills from Washington to Green Bay so the guy will come north.

Pay them what they are worth in the market. And I don't think either is worth the seven or ten million dollar bonuses and long term contracts they're asking for.

Let the Queens overpay.

gbpackfan
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Apparently a tampa radio station is now saying Woodson was not in town and that the info. was bogus. Who the hell knows!!!!

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Apparently a tampa radio station is now saying Woodson was not in town and that the info. was bogus. Who the hell knows!!!!

GB,

Sorry if I came across as brash; I love the rumors to keep em coming. But I'm growing into a TT hater and expect the absolute minimal from him when it comes to my win now attitude. IMO TT grossly over values the quality of our roster right now.

jack's smirking revenge
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM

GB,

Sorry if I came across as brash; I love the rumors to keep em coming. But I'm growing into a TT hater and expect the absolute minimal from him when it comes to my win now attitude. IMO TT grossly over values the quality of our roster right now.

I'm not a TT hater yet, but he's definitely testing my patience. I agree that he overvalues the quality of, perhaps not our starting roster, but at very least our depth. Depth is key as the season progresses. Arrington and Woodson would be great starters and make our depth stronger.

tyler

gbpackfan
04-12-2006, 08:07 PM

GB,

I am in the same boat as you. I want TT to make some moves BAD. Boy would I love to see the following happen:

Sign Lavar Arrington
Sign either Charles Woodson or Ahmad Plummer
Sign Chad Williams for depth at Safety
Trade J-Walk to Denver for Leslie and a draft pick.
Trade a 4th round pick to Cleveland for J. Faine.
Trade down in the second round, and then pick up Davin Joseph.

I believe that an O line of Clifton, Wells/Coston or Barry, Faine, Joseph and Tausch could be very good.

A WR core of Driver, Leslie, Fergy, Boerigter, Gardner, and possibly T-murph or a rookie could be very good as well.

I just don't get why everyone keeps over-looking Gado! The more I watch the games from last season, the more I am impressed. This guy is TOUGH and FAST!

I also believe our D would be VERY respectable with either Hawk or Williams. Can you imagine if we sign a new corner and Lavar then couple that with an impact draft pick, WOW! Now I am really starting to get excited.

THIS TEAM CAN BE FIXED! BUT WILL TT MAKE THE MOVES???

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 08:12 PM

GB,

I am in the same boat as you. I want TT to make some moves BAD. Boy would I love to see the following happen:

Sign Lavar Arrington
Sign either Charles Woodson or Ahmad Plummer
Sign Chad Williams for depth at Safety
Trade J-Walk to Denver for Leslie and a draft pick.
Trade a 4th round pick to Cleveland for J. Faine.
Trade down in the second round, and then pick up Davin Joseph.

I believe that an O line of Clifton, Wells/Coston or Barry, Faine, Joseph and Tausch could be very good.

A WR core of Driver, Leslie, Fergy, Boerigter, Gardner, and possibly T-murph or a rookie could be very good as well.

I just don't get why everyone keeps over-looking Gado! The more I watch the games from last season, the more I am impressed. This guy is TOUGH and FAST!

I also believe our D would be VERY respectable with either Hawk or Williams. Can you imagine if we sign a new corner and Lavar then couple that with an impact draft pick, WOW! Now I am really starting to get excited.

THIS TEAM CAN BE FIXED! BUT WILL TT MAKE THE MOVES???

GB,
TT is going to make us suffer for a couple years, I'm afraid.

I like all those moves, but I question trading Walker for Lelie and a pick. First off, Denver will lowball us, and Lelie has been a disappointment up to this point. I don't want to give in to Walkerbaby yet.

gbpackfan
04-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Let me put this down in print for everyone to understand -

JAVON WALKER IS DONE IN GREEN BAY!

JAVON MAY COME BACK BUT HE WILL NEVER PLAY HARD FOR US AGAIN.

JAVON WILL PULL THE SAME CRAP MM PULLED A COUPLE YEARS AGO.

If we can get something for him, then we should. Let's move on.

woodbuck27
04-12-2006, 08:33 PM

GB,

Teddy has , don't you know a. . .

Looooooonnnng term Plan.

K-town
04-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Teddy has , don't you know a. . .

Looooooonnnng term Plan.

Like the Loooooooonnng term answer to Global Warming is to wait for the next Ice Age? Or for the sun to flame out?

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Let me put this down in print for everyone to understand -

JAVON WALKER IS DONE IN GREEN BAY!

JAVON MAY COME BACK BUT HE WILL NEVER PLAY HARD FOR US AGAIN.

JAVON WILL PULL THE SAME CRAP MM PULLED A COUPLE YEARS AGO.

If we can get something for him, then we should. Let's move on.

NO WAY
Only way you move on is if you get fair market value. Green Bay is not a wanted place to be in; let Javon whine his way out and many many others will follow. He holds no cards; he has to play and play well to get rich, which is his real only goal.

Scott Campbell
04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I seem to remember lots of people here complaining when Ted low-balled that Canadian punter too.

I think I'll wait for Woodson to sign somewhere else before I start griping.

CyclonePackFan
04-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Let's not forget about Chad Lucas. Sure, it's only NFL-E, but if he's tearing it up there he should at least be servicable for the Packers

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:14 AM
I seem to remember lots of people here complaining when Ted low-balled that Canadian punter too.

Screw that. I'm ready to roast his ass now. We all know that we aren't getting Charles Woodson.

Bretsky
04-13-2006, 06:54 AM

Screw that. I'm ready to roast his ass now. We all know that we aren't getting Charles Woodson.

Yes, TT gets no points for signing some punter in Canada. Bring us some playmakers !

swede
04-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Seth Joyner, Hardy Nickerson, and Joe Johnson.

Big name free agents don't necessarily straight-line equate to making your team better. TT played a hell of a long time in the NFL and doesn't swoon over the mystique of the football celebrity.

Fritz had a good point about Woodson. He may be very good, but, on the other hand, if his speed doesn't return he may be a retired player that doesn't know it yet.

Arrington has way more upside. I'd like to see him play for us, and it would change the dynamics of the draft if we get it done soon. One wonders how this is playing out in the front offices on Lombardi Avenue. The defensive coordinator must know the kind of guy he wants. If he really wants Arrington is he able to get TT to listten as he makes his case? Or are the GM and the DC both saying that Arrington's talented and a potentially good fit for the defense but such a potential liability as a head case that they won't bother picking him up unless he comes at a good price?

And...why isn't he a huge BFD in Free Agency? Why so little interest from other teams?

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Seth Joyner, Hardy Nickerson, and Joe Johnson.

Seth Joyner and Hardy Nickerson? Nickerson was like 36 years old when we signed him, and Joyner was well into his 30s and on the downside. They were big names, but they were way over the hill. Arrington and Woodson are still in their 20s.

Here are some big name or big money FAs that turned out to be pretty good: Curtis Martin, Warrick Dunn, LaMont Jordan, Stephen Davis, Joey Galloway, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Simeon Rice, Grant Wistrom, Bertrand Berry, Rod Coleman, Pat Williams, Cornelius Griffin, La'Roi Glover, Sam Adams, Donnie Edwards, London Fletcher, Jeremiah Trotter, Mike Peterson, James Farrior, Marcus Washington, Antonio Pierce, Ken Lucas, Antoine Winfield, Ty Law, Dre' Bly, Darren Sharper, Lawyer Milloy, Kenoy Kennedy, John Lynch