PDA

View Full Version : DE/LB and Tremendous Athlete...Melvin Ingram..Sweet ...a good fit?

woodbuck27
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/144662405.html

Coach's Corner: Ward on DE/LB Melvin Ingram

By Tyler Dunne (tdunne@journalsentinel.com) of the Journal Sentinel
March 28, 2012

Comment woodbuck27:

Now...... coming back to earth. Melvin ingram needs a perfect fit.He does alot of things very well. How does he fit with what he does best?

*** In this thread....I'd like for.

US to look closer at at small group of 'Defensive players' that are likely going to be or close to being available at #28. I'll start with a man we won't get at #28 unless something strange happens. Some team knows whee his value lies.Is salivating over 'the player'. Melvin Ingram.

Two posts down... I look at a player some here like: DT Andre Branch. Clemson.

woodbuck27
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJfyMmO3F8

Melvin Ingram Highlights

Comment woodbuck27:

WOW! WOW!! WOW !!!

woodbuck27
03-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Melvin 'Don't piss Me Off' Ingram #6 Vs 'the Clemson's QB' and #40 Andre Branch.

Melvin Ingram destroys the Clemson QB Tajh Boyd #10 ... after his TWEETS insulted his team.

"if there's a game that stands out to me, it's the Clemson football game this past season. During the week their quarterback tweeted that our defensive line was just average. I made sure that Melvin knew that and he saw it. We sacked the kid six times and Melvin actually hit him 10 times. He was like a man possessed out there sacking the quarterback because the guy challenged him. That game stands out to me more than any single play." Fr. article in initial post ... this thread.

Q: So what was Melvin's reaction when you told him about that tweet?
Ward:

""He took it personal. He took it personal. Every time he hit him he said, '(Expletive), you need to stop tweeting.' Every time he hit him, he said he needed to stop tweeting.""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6seARCh3Y&feature=related

Comment woodbuck27:

Also ...look for Andre Branch #40.

More On ... #40 ... Andre Branch:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68712&draftyear=2012&genpos=DE

mission
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
He used to be a second round pick on this forum. Top 15 easy, I'd love a trade up, but probably too expensive.

Cheesehead Craig
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm still not sold on him as a pass rusher.

Joemailman
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
He's probably top 15. Kirwan has him going to Buffalo at 10. It would probably take the Packers 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to get him. He'd be a good fit, but it won't happen.

Bretsky
03-29-2012, 10:18 PM

HOLY SHIT I THOUGHT THAT WAS ME; alright you've defamed the Bikini Girls

I'm filing a Lawsuit :)

Lurker64
03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Ingram is probably the single best player for the Packers to draft, it's just that he won't get within striking distance and a good player should be available at #28 (I really like Andre Branch).

Cheesehead Craig
03-29-2012, 11:41 PM

What? That's a photo from an actual PackerRats game. It's Fritz, Harlan and Pb hanging out.

Bretsky
03-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Ingram is probably the single best player for the Packers to draft, it's just that he won't get within striking distance and a good player should be available at #28 (I really like Andre Branch).

OK, convince me why Andre Branch is the ideal fit for GB; last year we clashed with our OLB views. This year I am more open.

To be honest I have not embraced anybody like I did with Brooks Reed last year; maybe Donte Moch gets over the injuries and turns out to be stellar but he seemed to be Tarzan on paper for me but close to Jane on the field. Reed seemed to be the smash mouth football player. I still kind of like Vinny but I'm not fully sold on him for GB as I don't know where he fits in our scheme.

Measurables aside..........

Is Andre Branch a leader with an enless motor ?
Is he a smash mouth football player if you eliminate the measurables ?
Does he love the game ?
Will he outperform his abilities ?
Is he a fearless leader or has he had character issues in the past ?

Stubborn me is looking to open up and embrace some suggestions.

Lurker64
03-30-2012, 12:22 AM
OK, convince me why Andre Branch is the ideal fit for GB; last year we clashed with our OLB views. This year I am more open.

The first thing to consider is that "pass rusher" is probably the position in the NFL that has the highest bust rate these days. Especially when you're talking about 3-4 OLB conversions (just ask the teams who drafted Aaron Maybin, Larry English, and Robert Ayers to play OLB while CMIII was on the board still.) It should sort of be calming then to realize that Branch is a straight up clone of a guy who's already playing LB in the NFL, and playing pretty well: Mathias Kiwanuka. The rub is? Branch is even a better athlete.

Branch is a rangy guy who can cover a ton of space with his athleticism and superb length, he can stack and shed (violently, I may add), has great balance, is stout on the playside, is good in pursuit, maintains outside contain well, he finds the ball, and I've never seen him take himself out of a play despite his great pursuit. The thing to keep in mind is you don't just want a pass rusher in this spot, as you may be reminded if you watch Packer tape from last year and watch RBs run uncontested through an enormous vacuum where Erik Walden should have been.

Branch is no slouch as a pass rusher either. He's tough to keep blocked due to his looooooong arms, and he can dip around the corner. He's got a good outside pass move to threaten the corner and a natural inside counter.

There's really nothing at all you can say bad about him other than he needs to work on anticipating the snap count (this can be taught) and there's some spooky thing where nobody from Clemson ever pans out in the NFL. But just like TT broke the curse with Tedford QBs, I think TT's going to break the curse with Clemson... everything. Expect him to draft a PSU RB next and then punch a gypsy.

Branch isn't the highest upside guy in the #28 range (that's probably Mercilus), but he's as safe as an OLB conversion project as I've seen (which is not Mercilus in any sense) and Branch is a fit that works very well opposite Matthews (Unlike, say, Perry.)

Fritz
03-30-2012, 07:09 AM
What? That's a photo from an actual PackerRats game. It's Fritz, Harlan and Pb hanging out.

I just want to say that PB's got the rockin'est bod, but I have bigger nipples.

As for Andre Branch, this line from lurker got my attention: "...and he can dip around the corner." From what little I know, that ability to get really, really low, yet maintain one's balance, in order to get around a blocker, is an important, very important, quality to have. It was KGB's signature; CMIII has that ability, too.

So I would support drafting Andre Branch, but I won't. I don't want him to join the Odell Thurman Club.

Bretsky, don't you dare start liking Branch.

woodbuck27
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

Ohh my goodness. Best laugh of the week for me and that Avatar. LOL X ALOT !

Sorry Fritz and Huck. Pbmax 'wins' ... BEST AB's. ROCKIN' Hard.

Actually Pbmax is 'MAXin' out' here; Harlan 'as usual' your surrounded by 'beauty'.

woodbuck27
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM

No NO NO !!

I'm thinking maybe? 'YOU' photoshop'd C C's Avatar.

"Houston... we have a problem."

I'll be back with lots more on this thread later...got things to do with my sweetie. Later.

Smidgeon
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
The first thing to consider is that "pass rusher" is probably the position in the NFL that has the highest bust rate these days. Especially when you're talking about 3-4 OLB conversions (just ask the teams who drafted Aaron Maybin, Larry English, and Robert Ayers to play OLB while CMIII was on the board still.) It should sort of be calming then to realize that Branch is a straight up clone of a guy who's already playing LB in the NFL, and playing pretty well: Mathias Kiwanuka. The rub is? Branch is even a better athlete.

Branch is a rangy guy who can cover a ton of space with his athleticism and superb length, he can stack and shed (violently, I may add), has great balance, is stout on the playside, is good in pursuit, maintains outside contain well, he finds the ball, and I've never seen him take himself out of a play despite his great pursuit. The thing to keep in mind is you don't just want a pass rusher in this spot, as you may be reminded if you watch Packer tape from last year and watch RBs run uncontested through an enormous vacuum where Erik Walden should have been.

Branch is no slouch as a pass rusher either. He's tough to keep blocked due to his looooooong arms, and he can dip around the corner. He's got a good outside pass move to threaten the corner and a natural inside counter.

There's really nothing at all you can say bad about him other than he needs to work on anticipating the snap count (this can be taught) and there's some spooky thing where nobody from Clemson ever pans out in the NFL. But just like TT broke the curse with Tedford QBs, I think TT's going to break the curse with Clemson... everything. Expect him to draft a PSU RB next and then punch a gypsy.

Branch isn't the highest upside guy in the #28 range (that's probably Mercilus), but he's as safe as an OLB conversion project as I've seen (which is not Mercilus in any sense) and Branch is a fit that works very well opposite Matthews (Unlike, say, Perry.)

This is the kind of thing I read PR for. I need to know who to covet in the upcoming draft.

pbmax
03-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Not even Bretsky is imagining those three heads together for sexy time.

Nightmare fuel.

wist43
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Admittedly I haven't watched much tape of all these guys, but of what I did watch...

I wasn't much impressed with Mercilus or Branch; I have to see more of Ingram b/4 I can say yay or nay... decent player, just wish he was taller and had longer arms. Don't see him winning a lot on the edge against NFL calibur LT's.

Of the players I've looked at - at least a little bit, I liked these guys.

OLB - Zach Brown, Bruce Irvin, Ronnell Lewis, Nigel Bradham
DL - Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes, Alameda Ta'amu, Billy Winn

Deputy Nutz
03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Not a fan of Ingram, sure he is a good athlete, and that is the problem he knows it and his game reflects it. He should be killing QBs, but his technique sort of blows so he is sort of only blowing Qbs, I mean killing QBs. Stand ups too much, doesn't use his hands, sure he has a fancy spin move, but I don't know if he is going to be able to develop at the next level. I would rather have Bruce Irvin and I am not a huge fan of Irvin, but Irvin is determined, and I like that.

I still think Jared Crick would be a good fit at defensive end for the Packers, regardless who the Packers just signed if Crick is there he would be the right choice.

Upnorth
03-30-2012, 08:03 PM

I thought it was you as well. I will represent you in your lawsuit if you change your signature, as it is a misrepresentation of the Tedsanity age we are living in.

Also if Ingram somehow survives till our pick he would be a no brainer. Talk about a cure to the old defensive side of the ball. He could have a similar impact to Clay or Raji!

Lurker64
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I still think Jared Crick would be a good fit at defensive end for the Packers, regardless who the Packers just signed if Crick is there he would be the right choice.

Crick in the third round? Maybe. Crick before the third round, and you'll be the laughingstock of the NFL.

Bretsky
03-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I just want to say that PB's got the rockin'est bod, but I have bigger nipples.

As for Andre Branch, this line from lurker got my attention: "...and he can dip around the corner." From what little I know, that ability to get really, really low, yet maintain one's balance, in order to get around a blocker, is an important, very important, quality to have. It was KGB's signature; CMIII has that ability, too.

So I would support drafting Andre Branch, but I won't. I don't want him to join the Odell Thurman Club.

Bretsky, don't you dare start liking Branch.

To be fair, I've hit on many lately as well so I think Brooks Reed is helping me turn the corner.

Guys I've been right on lately..........Otis Flowers, Devin McCourtney, Ray Rice, Robert Meachem, Justine Harrell (hated the pick from the start)
Guys that have ruined my reputation....Odell Smash Mouth Thurmon, Michael Crabtree, Chad Johnson, and AJ Hawk

pbmax
03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
To be fair, I've hit on many lately as well so I think Brooks Reed is helping me turn the corner.

Guys I've been right on lately..........Otis Flowers, Devin McCourtney, Ray Rice, Robert Meachem, Justine Harrell (hated the pick from the start)
Guys that have ruined my reputation....Odell Smash Mouth Thurmon, Michael Crabtree, Chad Johnson, and AJ Hawk

I think you want Chad Jackson if you mean the NE WR.

Fritz
03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
That's who he means. I know that cuz he and I were bitching in a thread about why TT passed on him when he was available, and later picked some small MAC receiver named Jennings.