PDA

View Full Version : 2011-20122- Team Grades...Taking a Shot

Bretsky
04-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Pass Offense--- A

It's hard to complain about anything with the passing offense. Rodgers probably gave us the best season we've ever witnessed by a GB quarterback and one that will be hard to duplicate. He broke the passer rating record and the next best rating by Brees was almost 12 points behind him. The receivers were superior on paper to any group in the NFL with 38 TD's, and Rodgers threw for over 4600 yards....despite a total of 45 dropped passes. Even Matt Flynn to Win (Mad's nickname) set a team record for most yards in a game with 480. Jordy Nelson, who clearly benefitted from what was in general good health of Greg Jennings, and Jermichael Finley, clearly took his game to another level last year with 15TD'. Randall Cobb showed some promise, and the future of this unit remains very brght.

Rushing Offense---C

Clearly this team used the pass to set up the run, and for the most part the purpose of running is to throw the other team off balance once in a while. They ran just over 39% of the plays, down from 42% the year before. They ranked at Number 27 in rushing yards and 26th in yards per carry. No Running Back had a 100 Yard Game. With their potent passing offense, it's seems that less focus is being put on the rushing attack and this is a team that will excel because of the mass amount of weapons it posesses in its receiving core.

Passing Defense-- D-

Let's get this out there right away. Without the turnovers this defense was devoid of the necessary talent to be an average NFL Unit. The lack of personnell able to rush the passer caused Dom Capers to blitz more than any other team in the NFL besides New Orleans, and the results were that they yielded 4796 passing yards. They were also 32nd in the average gain per pass allowed. Simply put, they lacked enough playmakers to field a competitive team. The Packers really missed Nick Collins at the safety position and Cullen Jenkins anytime GB needed a second person to put pressure on a QB. A Packerrate Favorite, Clay Matthews, only had 6 sacks the entire season because teams we allowed solely to focus in him with little concern for the rest of the team getting to the QB. Desmond Bishop shows flashes of pass rush ability but he cannot be your #2 option. The Packers ranked 26th in the NFL on Third Down Defense. This unit was an epic failure.

Rushing Defense-- D

In the last 14 games, Green Bay averaged giving up 122 yards per game and 4.83 yards per carry. The Packers were hurt by moves they were forced to make with the loss of Cullen Jenkins. They often shifted Raji out wide and left Pickett in the middle. Mike Neal, who TT must have been counting on to help on the DL, offered us nothing whatsoever. He was hurt too much and looked less than a J.A.G. the little that he played. For the most part none of the moves were effective. Teams could focus on Raji and neurtralized him and Pickett was not as effective. Bottom line was this DL just didn't have enough talent to hold up. They were a terrible defense on 1st down giving up an average of 6.82yds per carry, they gave up eleven runs of more than 20 yards, and missed 140 tackles.

Special Teams-- B+

As much as one could criticize TT for ignoring the defensive needs along the line, you have to give him huge credit for restocking the special teams over the past couple years. The mass improvement of these units last year are mainly due to the play of Randall Cobb, Tim Mashay, and Mason MONEY Crosby. Cobb ranked second in kickoff return average and seventh in punt return average at 11.3yds. He was huge in the NO game after Kuhn picked him up, and he opened up the route of MN with a 80 yard punt return. This was Mason Money Crosby's best season. Dude is gold and KUDOS to TT for locking him up. He also illustrated his strong leg on kickoffs and this helped us often win the field position game early on. Mashay's net punting average was greatly improved to 38.6 yards. I recall just a few years ago we'd have taken an average of 38 yards per punt. Jerrett (Red's favorite player) Bush remains solid as a gunner, and newbies like Ryan Taylor showed promise and helped improve the special teams as well. The Punt coverage team, which rated in the bottom quarter of the NFL, missed way too many tackles and brought this grade down.

Coaching---B+

To be fair, most of us expected teams who played deep into the playoffs to be hurt least by the lockout and teams with a boatload of changes to be hurt most. With that being said, MM is the mastermind behind a well oiled machine that we'd clearly be referring to as the Greatest Show on Turf...if only we played indoors on turf. MM joined the Denver Broncos of 98 to be the only coach to come out 13-0 after winning a Super Bowl. The Packers showed nice discipline by tying for first in the fewest penalties, and after winning it all seemed to leave their egos at the door for the most part. His face paced system of substituations and playcalling led them to be the most potent offense in the NFL. On the offensive side of the ball, there was not much to complain about. PR favorite whipping boy, James Campen, did a fine job getting this unit ready to play multiple games with Clifton and we have seen some nice development from players like Bulago, Marshmellow Newhouse, and TJ Lang since their rookie season. I stand alone in yelling out loud that Campen is a fine coach. The offensive coaches get a clear A.

On the Defensive Side, not a lot worked. Dom Capers has one of the better coaching minds in the NFL, and the Packers have several highly regarded assistants. They were all embarrassed. Loss of Nick Collins was devastating. Loss of Cullen Jenkins hurt. With that being said, they were dealt about the worst hand in the NFL poker game and it was impossible to create a winning hand when they were dealt with too much junk.

Personnell Moves----C

This is a hard one. TT beefed the offense up to be the best in the NFL and the Defense sat as the worst. To me the end result is his last twelve months of work were very average. Once again he neglected adding any valuable pieces in free agency. And bottom line is he failed with Cullen Jenkins. He did not fail because we lost him........but it certainly appears that the way we lost him left concerns. If you believe the only information we have, it appears TT made little effort to reach out to Jenkins before free agency, and there was little communication about coming back to GB with offers. Jenkins seems to have wanted more than the Eagles signed him for, but if we are being honest that deal was not that expensive and it might have been a good idea for Cullen to have come back and gave us the shot to match. But we didn't seem to have that positive relationship where he felt like he should do it. The loss of Jenkins left this DL devoid of talent and left us with a gaping hole of pass rushing ability coming from a DL. TT also never addressed the lack of talent opposite Clay Matthews and as a result Dom had nothing to work with The Lack of pass rush was evident in their defensive rankings, their failure on 3rd down coverstions, and in their loss to the Giants. Regarding the draft, for the most part what the draft added was special teams help. It takes several years to judge a draft, but short term we got help from our 2nd round pick on and our 7th round pick. I do feel many of these guys will be good players, but on the defensive side of the ball TT did nothing to help this team in free agency or the draft. 2012 Must be Different.

COMMENTS....INSULTS.....DISAGREEMENTS............. ...FEEL FREE TO SHARE !!!

Bretsky

Fritz
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I can't fault you too much, Bretsky. I might quibble with you on the "personnel moves" grade, being as Mike Neal's injury and Collins's injury really crippled the team. But I wouldn't raise the grade by much, maybe to a C+ or a B-. I do think that the draft will prove to be a good one, what with Cobb and Green and in my opinion Sherrod all developing, along with DJ the inside linebacker.

Bretsky
04-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I can't fault you too much, Bretsky. I might quibble with you on the "personnel moves" grade, being as Mike Neal's injury and Collins's injury really crippled the team. But I wouldn't raise the grade by much, maybe to a C+ or a B-. I do think that the draft will prove to be a good one, what with Cobb and Green and in my opinion Sherrod all developing, along with DJ the inside linebacker.

One of the my next threads I start will be the 2011 dream draft....a very unfair thread...but one that will have me devising our dream draft one year later....by picking who I think would have helped us the most at that spot.

I think you will be surprised that a guy you had pimped, if my memory serves me right....would have been our 1st round pick (just Barely Edging out Brooks Reed :))

Upnorth
04-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I think you are being a touch generous to the defence. The only thing they did well was generate turnovers but that proved to be unsustainable.

Joemailman
04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I think B is too harsh on the defense. I know they gave up a ton of yards, but were 19th in PPG. Led the league in INT's and scored 4 TD's off INT's, which was 2nd in the league.

C

Pugger
04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Our rush defense was a tad better than average if you look at regular season defensive stats on nfl.com so I'd give the run defense a C-, especially when Pickett was in there. We did a decent job stopping the Giants' running game in that divisional playoff game but we gave Eli enough time to read War and Peace back there...

Bretsky
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Our rush defense was a tad better than average if you look at regular season defensive stats on nfl.com so I'd give the run defense a C-, especially when Pickett was in there. We did a decent job stopping the Giants' running game in that divisional playoff game but we gave Eli enough time to read War and Peace back there...

We were one of the better units on paper after the first three games and then we went down the tubes after that.
Keep in mind as well teams rarely ran on us later in games because they were almost always trailing. Game 15...the Bears #3 and #4 RB's combined for 199 yards

I agree we did alright vs the Giants

Bretsky
04-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I think B is too harsh on the defense. I know they gave up a ton of yards, but were 19th in PPG. Led the league in INT's and scored 4 TD's off INT's, which was 2nd in the league.

C

I'm assuming you mean the passing defense. I think a C would be a gift. Our lack of being able to rush and stop 3rd downs cost us the season.

I think another good stat to refer to is average gain per pass allowed. When GB won the Super Bowl they were 3rd; last year they plummeted to 32nd. They were giving up big plays left and right but it was being masked by our superior offense.

I think the blame lies more on giving QB's a half hour to throw the ball than our secondary....but time will tell I guess

pbmax
04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
McCarthy admitted Tramon did not have a good year and he laid a significant portion of the blame on his injury and the subsequent need to play him off the line of scrimmage. A point I must yield to Justin, as he noted the increase of off man during the season before I saw it anywhere else. I thought it was a result of blitzing more, Justin thought it was related to the lack of Collins in single deep safety. McCarthy says that at the very least, a significant part of the reason was TWill's physical health.

RashanGary
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
McCarthy admitted Tramon did not have a good year and he laid a significant portion of the blame on his injury and the subsequent need to play him off the line of scrimmage. A point I must yield to Justin, as he noted the increase of off man during the season before I saw it anywhere else. I thought it was a result of blitzing more, Justin thought it was related to the lack of Collins in single deep safety. McCarthy says that at the very least, a significant part of the reason was TWill's physical health.

Yeah. I still wonder to what degree Collins played in the defensive changes. The Williams explanation could explain most or all of it. I know McCarthy, toward the end of last season, said there wasn't much made of Collins' loss, but he sited that as a big loss to his defense. He wasn't asked about Collins. He was asked about the defense in general, and that was the one thing he brought up, Nick Collins.

The ability to man up outside, the elite free safety, and having 3 pass rushers who could get home. . . . Those were all big parts of the 2010 defense. Woodson roaming, the good communication inside with the linebackers, the unselfish play of the role players. . . . There were a lot of things, but losing Collins, Jenkins and taking away one of our staple defenses "man outside, single safety deep." was a big collective punch in the sack.

Not only were we less effective, but we were more predictable too.

Patler
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM

McCarren commented many times in the radio broadcasts through out the year that Williams was playing off a lot more than he had ever before, and theorized that the injury had made him a one-arm player, necessitating that he play off the line of scrimmage. The Packers even acknowledged as much early in the season, but by mid-season claimed his arm was no longer an issue. I really hope that was just typical injury coverup, because if not, Williams may have lost his confidence/aggressiveness.

RashanGary
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Hargrove is a start. If Jenkins is a 7 out of 10 as a pass rusher, Hargrove might be a 6. CJ Wilson and Wynn are a collective 2. Hargrove probably can't start, so that limits his effect compared to Jenkins even more, but I think if we don't add anyone else right now, just adding Hargrove helps our 3rd down defense quite a bit.

If we're going to get back to 2010 defensive form, it's going to be difficult.

A. Our two corners are going to have to stay healthy like they did in 2010

AND

We're going to need a star somewhere on the defense to replace Collins' impact. It doesn't have to be a safety. It could be an OLB, DE or S, but it has to be an impact player. If we add a star at any of those 3 positions, along with the corners staying healthy, we could repeat the 2010 defense. Unfortunately, finding star players is pretty tough.

More than likely, if we're going to win it, we're going to have more DL depth, a little better safety play and a little better OLB play. Just looking at our roster, the odds of things getting as good as they were in 2010 are somewhat slim IMO. The bright side is, with the offense and ST's being so much better, we won't need 2010 defense. I do think the odds of the defense improving are actually really high. Compared to last seasons team (and let's not forget, they were a pretty good one.) I think the Packers are on the upswing.

pbmax
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
McCarren commented many times in the radio broadcasts through out the year that Williams was playing off a lot more than he had ever before, and theorized that the injury had made him a one-arm player, necessitating that he play off the line of scrimmage. The Packers even acknowledged as much early in the season, but by mid-season claimed his arm was no longer an issue. I really hope that was just typical injury coverup, because if not, Williams may have lost his confidence/aggressiveness.

I should go back to the radio. Don't have one near the TV so I gave up trying to broadcast across rooms for the most part this year. Obviously, I missed some good info.

Patler
04-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I should go back to the radio. Don't have one near the TV so I gave up trying to broadcast across rooms for the most part this year. Obviously, I missed some good info.

My usual procedure is that I listen to the game on the radio while I go about doing other things. I also record the TV broadcast. I don't avoid the TV, and may watch replays of special plays, or watch the end of each half live, but I can't just park myself in front of a television to watch the game. Listening to the radio gives me freedom to do other things.

Late at night I will watch the recorded TV broadcast. Fast forwarding through commercials, half time and game breaks back to the studio shortens my viewing time to well under two hours. Sometimes I forward through the huddles and watch only the actual plays at regular speeds. Doing that I can watch every play, replay significant ones several times if I want, and still get done watching in about any hour.

I get bored easily! :grin:

Cheesehead Craig
04-01-2012, 11:03 PM
The Packer radio broadcasts are just so damn good. It sucks that I can't pick them up here in the western part of the Twin Cities. Well, not without a lot of static at least.