PDA

View Full Version : GB Packer Roster - who drafted whom

Sparkey
08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Of the 90 players on the roster at the start of training camp, 64 were brought to Green Bay by GM Ted Thompson. Considering that he’s only been on the job for 18 months, that’s a truly staggering number. In contrast, only 15 players acquired by his predecessor, Mike Sherman, are still around. Considering that he was on the job for 44 months, that’s an equally staggering number. The remaining 11 players were brought in by Ron Wolf, who retired in 2001. “Thompson has turned over the roster in a hurry,” said a regional scout for another team. “Those numbers point out just how bad a job Sherman did as the general manager and why the Packers bottomed out last season. Just how good a talent evaluator Thompson is will determine how quickly things turn around.”

Not to keep piling on, but only four of Sherman's players are projected as starters this season. The remaining 20 starters are split almost equally between Thompson (11) and Wolf (9). And it’s important to remember that Thompson worked closely with Wolf from 1992 to 1999. “I’ll give Sherman a lot of credit for Scott Wells, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett and Al Harris, but for the most part, it’s almost like his four years as GM didn’t exist,” said the scout. “In my opinion, it’s going to take Thompson about that long to get the talent level back to where it needs to be. So fans need to be patient. Thompson knows what he has to do and he’s doing it, but it’s going to take some time.”

(We gave Wolf “credit" for the '01 draft which produced Robert Ferguson and David Martin. We’re sure he’s thrilled)

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Nice work on that post Sparkey.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR OUR FUTURE !!

Willard
08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I know new administrations (GMs & coaches) like to bring in their own people, but those numbers are really staggering. Especially when considering there are almost as many Wolf people than Sherman people. Ouch! Thanks for posting.

jack's smirking revenge
08-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Eye-opening numbers, for sure. Thanks for the info Sparkey. Supports my belief that Sherman destroyed our depth. Once we're on more solid-footing in some areas of this team, we'll be able to take injury hits and not crack like a fragile egg.

tyler

Chester Marcol
08-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Great post. That scout hit the nail on the head and supports my arguments as well.

FavreChild
08-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Supports my belief that TT is a megalomaniac puppetmaster. Just not sure if that's good or bad yet (altho I have some opinions on the matter).

Excellent post, Sparkey.

Sparkey
08-21-2006, 04:47 PM
^BUMP^

falco
08-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Sparkey;

your statistics are a little misleading; throughout the season the roster can only have 53 players...so the current GM has to have brought the other 37.

I'm not saying anything Sherman did was great...but you'd be best served by waiting until the season to make your point, once all the riff raff is cleaned out.

Mazzin
08-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Where is the article, of the reporter saying that, if you don't mind me asking of course, but I agree. At first I hated TT now im warming up to his ol' ass!

mraynrand
08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
"“I’ll give Sherman a lot of credit for Scott Wells, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett and Al Harris, but for the most part, it’s almost like his four years as GM didn’t exist,” said the scout."

---

I guess he can't give Sherman credit for Javon Walker, because this Pro Bowler got traded for a #2 pick. And that pick allowed TT, with trades, to pick four more guys, all of which will make the team, but starters? That remains to be seen. Barry (rookie FA) was injured, and Davenport and Carroll will likely be strong contributors, if not starters. Jenkins (rookie FA) and Peterson will back up the D-line

This scout is also a moron - Sherman was GM for three, not four seasons. Sherman had a vastly different philosophy than TT (win now with Favre), which led to trades for Glenn and Harris and risky FA moves like picking up Joe Johnson (which was necessitated by the atrocious Reynolds pick).

Ron Wolf had a tremendous GM year in 2000, and stunk up the joing in 1999 and 2001. Sherman had a good year in 2002 (his first with Hatley), stunk up the joint (so far) in 2004, and had a marginal year in 2003 (Barnett and the Harris trade). See what happens to TT picks from the past two years and next year. I hope TT's guys play better than last year's starters, but he will possibly start five FAs (Woodson, Pickett, Manuel, the tackle from Giants, and possibly Ben Taylor at LB). Who is to say that Sherman wouldn't have picked up the same or better FAs?

I admit, I like the idea of stockpiling draft picks and building from the bottom up, but I also like the fact that Sherman placed a premium on the O-line, protecting Favre, and doing everything he could to win now. I hope it doesn't take too many years for TT to generate the same W-L percentage that Sherman had when he was GM (.667).

test
08-21-2006, 06:27 PM
now im warming up to his ol' ass!

there's a visual I didn't need.

vince
08-21-2006, 06:37 PM
I hope it doesn't take too many years for TT to generate the same W-L percentage that Sherman had when he was GM (.667).
These kinds of statistics are frustrating, because they are so misleading.

Sherman inherited a talented team and, with Ron Wold as GM, coached it to consistent winning records - but TT inherited Sherman's garbage.

To use a statistic like this to insinuate that Sherman is a better GM than TT is just not right.

Sparkey
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
I hope it doesn't take too many years for TT to generate the same W-L percentage that Sherman had when he was GM (.667).
These kinds of statistics are frustrating, because they are so misleading.

Sherman inherited a talented team and, with Ron Wold as GM, coached it to consistent winning records - but TT inherited Sherman's garbage.

To use a statistic like this to insinuate that Sherman is a better GM than TT is just not right.

Some of you are reading more into the article than there is. I am not trying too portray either Sherman or TT as better or less than the other.

I am merely pointing out the rapid turnover in such a short period of time. Time will tell if TT is making the right moves, but it is astounding how vastly different the two see players.

BJ Sander for example:

Sherman trades up into the third too get him
TT replaces him with a CFL standout

Obviously Sherman sacrificed the future for the present. Another example of why the HC and the GM should never be the same person. Each position has different goals. HC is for the here and now, while the GM is for the here and tomorrow.

SD GB fan
08-21-2006, 11:26 PM
wat happened to APB? i can see him posting in this thread

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 09:55 AM
"Another example of why the HC and the GM should never be the same person. Each position has different goals. HC is for the here and now, while the GM is for the here and tomorrow." Sparkey

Sparkey:

Did you post the Link to that article somewhere in this thread? Maybe you did already/ I'm reading through it again this AM and I'd like to see the source - Thank You.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I continue.

"Another example of why the HC and the GM should never be the same person. Each position has different goals. HC is for the here and now, while the GM is for the here and tomorrow." Sparkey

Today in Green Bay, I (generally) agree with that statement Sparkey.

In Green Bay, we are coming to, the post Favre - Green Era.

I am posting as "the Packer fan". I'm a serious Packer fan as YOU may be learning. I am posting (here) from who I am as a person. The respect I possess. The intelligence I am bless'd with. The passion that's in me.The fairness that's in me.

To assess OUR team as fans. Isn't it an advantage to know that Ted Thompson and his Scouting and Player Development people are seperate and supporting the HC (and his Staff)?

Please anyone? Enlighten me to any difference of opinion in this matter/issue?

The remainder of this post, isn't directed at you specifically Sparkey.

As a board, I am confident that we would reach a conclusion that Mike Sherman left OUR cupboard bare in his service to us as OUR GM.

Personally, I deem that MS was overall, a successful Regular Season HC.

His style of coaching in games, certainly left in me something to be desired and I point to clock management , stale Offensive play calling (too predictable - to game plan against) and when to or not - fire away on "O".

ie ..... Do I go for it. here? Mike Sherman (Head Coach) always seemed too worried on the sidelines and pre-occupied.

Where I come fr. we say - not cool.

To be a Packer Head coach and have Brett Favre as your QB ( he's my man, so don't read too much into this - please :mrgreen: ) would drive most HC's to distraction, at times. Favre makes me nervous but overall I am 100% confident in his play as OUR QB. If that changes I'll tell you of my concerns. As a Packer fan I'm not blind nor stubborn.

Brett Favre overall with (almost anyone) with him... HE's " the SHIT ".

Geee - There I go with "the schitty" comments.

mraynrand points out errors in the article, discrediting how long MS wore this or that hat. That is why I'd appreciate the whole Article - the source.

As a GM (generally) Mike Sherman failed us.

YET.... all you Mike Sherman HATER's....

I challenge you - rebut YOU (as you identify yourself) "in hatred of Mike Sherman" as follows:

Mike Sherman had/has value.

As a Man of the Green Bay Community. He certainly brought "the Packers" to and to serve the community. He had PR skills that Ted Thompson leaves to be desired in my view.

This isn't about Mike Sherman Vs.Ted Thompson.

Mike Sherman "worked his tail off".... for the Green Bay Packers.

Evidence of that can be taken two ways. Sometimes we perceive he over did it and took a nap on the job (SC). :mrgreen: Other evidence supports the fact that the task of HC and GM of the Green baty packers was too much for him. His competency as a HC and GM can be successfully challenged but that is moot now. Mike Sheman is now in "the houston texan's organization" and his record there is ahead of us.

Back to - working too hard.

Ever do that people? Over do it ? Work too HARD ? Fall flat on your ass for that?

I'm certainly for proper treatment of the players and especially Vet's that have given and given to me "the Packer fan".

I'm this ! It's really ALL ABOUT - the FANS.

I saw Mike Sherman, in a good light in that regard. His players loved Mike Sherman...Head Coach.

Certainly we have evidence of that specifically when Mike Sherman was FIRED by Ted Thompson. Mike Sherman demonstrated strength-dignity in his final days in Green Bay. He spoke of his love for his team in Green Bay.

Can't we respect those positives in Mike Sherman (instead of) blaming and hatred for Mike Sherman - human being, and former GM and Head Coach of "the Green Bay Packers"??

HATRED of Mike Sherman??? HATRED?

DO YOU the Packer fan and fellow human being - deserve to do that - to yourself?

Who "in hell " ever deserves that POWER over YOU?

I hate it - when people HATE !!!!

Mike Sherman no longer deserves OUR HATE as Packer fans. PLEASE let it GO !!!! Let's as Packer fans on this Packer HOME - Stop HATING "a Man that tried his BEST (and is Damned) for an Organization he was dedicated to and loved.

Let's please - GO there despite his short fallings as a GM and even a Head coach

PLEASE..... Mike Sherman is a better person and Man than many of us posting here. Examine YOURSELF !!!

You posters are passionate about your Packers and American football (the NFL and College football).

News FLASH !!!!!

That is part of me as a Canadian, and how we view the Biggy up here - The NHL. You Ladies and gents are passionate about football and baseball and basketball and not so much hockey.

Canadians are BIG - ON THEM ALL.

Canadians = VERY MUCH - PRO Sport's Fans.

Nearly 70 K FANS in Lambeau last Saturday. We arn't as passionate (always) about OUR CFL teams, as Packer fans granted; but as Sports fans....... We are passionate and as passionate as you may be.

I'm passionate for "this Forum".

Declarations of hatred, blasphemy and visciousness anywhere / anytime - disgust me.

Maybe it does - YOU - GOOD, to hate away? You are then "subject to your hatred" and given - to it's POWER.

My name is Ed.

Travbrew
08-22-2006, 10:16 AM
[quote="SD GB fan"]wat happened to APB?
Who gives a shit?

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
[quote=SD GB fan]wat happened to APB?
Who gives a shit?

I do ! :neutral:

digitaldean
08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
"

Declarations of hatred, blasphemy and visciousness anywhere / anytime - disgust me.

Maybe it does - YOU - GOOD, to hate away? You are then "subject to your hatred" and given - to it's POWER.

My name is Ed.

Woodbuck,

I agree wholeheartedly. I may disagree with someone's post but I try to reply as respectfully as possible.

In most instances, anyone who posts calling people an idiot or worse undercuts their point.

I've disagreed with others here before, but slinging around crap in a reply only gets the recipient P.O.'d.

Between that and the trolls, that's the main reason I left JSO's Packer forum. I was so turned off that I even had the admin remove me totally from the site.

So if I respond to any posts here, even if it may be in response to something vile or boneheaded, it's always done in a manner that anyone else would want to be treated.

OK, end of sermon from me. :smile:

red
08-22-2006, 12:03 PM
"

This scout is also a moron - Sherman was GM for three, not four seasons. Sherman had a vastly different philosophy than TT (win now with Favre), which led to trades for Glenn and Harris and risky FA moves like picking up Joe Johnson (which was necessitated by the atrocious Reynolds pick).

this is very much in debate, and i think we've talked about it a few times on here. sherman WAS named the GM before the 2001 draft, but wolf was to stay on until after the draft.

this leads many people to think that wolf did the 2001 draft. but i argued, if you are named the GM, and you are the head coach, are you going to let someone thats leaving the club make the picks for yOUR team? i would think sherman had an equal if not greater role in the 2001 draft then wolf had.

we had a few quotes from articles on another thread awhile back. some seemed to make it out that wolf did the draft by himself, others made it sound like sherman was calling the shots.

so we really don't know for sure who did that 2001 draft, i'd say both guys are to blame. but i would bet a ton of money that sherman was there and making some decisions about who they drafted

woodbuck27
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
"

My name is Ed.

Woodbuck,

I agree wholeheartedly. I may disagree with someone's post but I try to reply as respectfully as possible.

In most instances, anyone who posts calling people an idiot or worse undercuts their point.

I've disagreed with others here before, but slinging around crap in a reply only gets the recipient P.O.'d.

Between that and the trolls, that's the main reason I left JSO's Packer forum. I was so turned off that I even had the admin remove me totally from the site.

So if I respond to any posts here, even if it may be in response to something vile or boneheaded, it's always done in a manner that anyone else would want to be treated.

OK, end of sermon from me. :smile:

It just makes sense to me digitaldean. :idea:

The JSO way was NOT the RIGHT way.

Dark EGO over Balance and Decency is destructive "a plague" in the making.

We can be above that here. A Packer HOME, first.

GO PACK GO !! FAITH FANS !!

bigcoz75
08-22-2006, 12:25 PM
There are 9 players Sherman drafted on the team at the moment 7 if you don't credit him with Fergie and Martin in 01. Davenport, Peterson, Kampman, CWilliams, Barnett, Carroll, Wells

There are 6 players on the team drafted by Wolf 8 if you give him 01. Clifton, Tauscher, Bubba, Driver, Henderson, KGB.

Just thought I'd throw that out there I found it interesting seeing Wolf is further removed from his Packer drafting duties than Sherm.

Astonishment
08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
This should be a very eye opening topic for all the Sherman supporters who are still out there, and hopefully it will show the rest of the Packer fans just how hard TT task is.

red
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
ok, as far as who did the draft in 2001

pbmax posted this in another thread a long time ago when we were having this same discusion. it is an interview with ron wolf after he had left the team. its about matt hasselbeck. and in it theres onle line, that i'll highlight, where wolf tells who was in charge for the 2001 draft.

Super QBs remain ticket to success
Posted: Feb. 4, 2006
On the Packers

Bob McGinn

Detroit - Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson remind us that Super Bowls can be won by teams without a great quarterback.

The 28 Super Bowls that have been won either by teams with quarterbacks already in the Pro Football Hall of Fame or with quarterbacks destined for enshrinement demonstrate that having a great quarterback clearly is the easiest way to go.

When Mike Holmgren traded for Matt Hasselbeck in March 2001, he was three years into his reign in Seattle with Jon Kitna and headed nowhere but to the unemployment line.

When Bill Cowher drafted Ben Roethlisberger in April 2004, his teams in Pittsburgh had won just 53 of their last 100 games and his quarterback was Tommy Maddox. In other words, Cowher had no chance to overtake New England with Tom Brady or Indianapolis with Peyton Manning.

It might appear too simplistic to attribute the appearance of the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL to Hasselbeck and Roethlisberger. Fact is, it's only too true.

Fate, courage and superior coaching brought Hasselbeck to where he is today, one of the top three or four quarterbacks in the NFC.

Fate and superior scouting brought Roethlisberger to where he is today, one of the top four or five quarterbacks in the AFC.

The edge, at this point, probably should go to Hasselbeck based on his eight years of pro experience compared to Roethlisberger's two. But Ron Wolf, the retired general manager who drafted Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks and Hasselbeck for the Packers besides trading for Brett Favre, doesn't see it that way.

"I don't think you can put that on Hasselbeck," Wolf said Friday night. "You can't say which one is better."

Wolf didn't hesitate when asked who was responsible for the selection of Hasselbeck in the sixth round in 1998. That was based on the strong presentation and recommendation from quarterbacks coach Andy Reid.

Hasselbeck had been a two-year starter at Boston College, finishing with 22 touchdown passes and 26 interceptions. He was smart (29 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test) and possessed ideal stature (6 feet 4 inches, 222 pounds), but some scouts dinged him for being slow (4.93 seconds in the 40-yard dash) and having only an average arm.

In that draft, my rankings showed Hasselbeck No. 13 at the position, behind Ryan Leaf, Manning, Brian Griese, Charlie Batch, John Dutton, Dan Gonzalez, Ron Powlus, Thad Busby, Jonathan Quinn, Dameyune Craig, Moses Moreno and Cory Sauter.

Hasselbeck was waived by Green Bay on the last cut and signed two days later to the practice squad. In 1999, after Doug Pederson left to join Reid in Philadelphia, he managed to fight off Brooks for the No. 2 job. With Brooks traded to New Orleans in July 2000, "Mr. August" had another terrific exhibition season.

In his only regular-season appearance of consequence, Hasselbeck replaced an injured Favre in November 2000 at Tampa Bay and struggled in a 20-15 defeat.

By the end of the '00 season, did the Packers think enough of Hasselbeck that they would have anointed him as their starter if something serious had befallen Favre?

"Probably, yes," Wolf said. "But that would have been hard because he had a bummer of a game down at Tampa. He kind of fell apart, but I attributed that to the speed of the game. He was superb in those pre-season games against the 2's and 3's."

Wolf stepped down in February 2001 but agreed to assist Mike Sherman through the draft. Together, they decided to deal Hasselbeck because, in another year, he would have become an unrestricted free agent.

On March 2, just after the start of the trading period, Wolf was wrapping up trade talks with Rick Spielman, then personnel director for the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins were offering their first-round draft choice (No. 26) for Hasselbeck if the Packers agreed to switch second-round selections, dropping the Packers from the 47th to the 56th pick.

"We had a deal," Wolf said. "But then he (Spielman) said he had to go check with somebody and would call me back."

Wolf left to inform Sherman. When Wolf entered Sherman's office, he was on the phone with Holmgren. The Seahawks had increased the ante, offering their first-round pick (No. 10) plus their third-round choice (No. 72) for Green Bay's first (No. 17) and Hasselbeck.

"So we did it," Wolf said. "When he (Spielman) called back I said, 'Hey, it's too late.' There wasn't anything he could do. I'm sure he was (crestfallen)."

Miami coach Dave Wannstedt ended up playing Jay Fiedler, A.J. Feeley and Sage Rosenfels over the next few years, treaded water and eventually had to resign under pressure.

Not only did the Seahawks get a starting quarterback but they also used the 17th pick on Steve Hutchinson, now the best guard in football. The trade blew up in the Packers' face when they took Jamal Reynolds at No. 10 and Torrance Marshall at No. 72.

"I've thought over the years it might have been better with 17, 26 and 56," Wolf said. "But if we had picked Dan Morgan it wouldn't have mattered."

Holmgren couldn't have been in more desperate straits. His only other options were to sign free agents Elvis Grbac, Trent Green or Johnson.

He gambled on Hasselbeck, who came to bristle under Holmgren's short leash and eventually was benched for Dilfer.

"I handled it very, very poorly," Hasselbeck said at midweek. "I got upset. I took it personal or made excuses."

Hasselbeck followed Favre around like a puppy dog for three years, which was both good and bad. He learned what it took to be a pro and how to ad-lib. He also learned to take chances, and with less arm than Favre it didn't always work.

"What Matt and Brett have in common is the competitive fire, the stubbornness, the intellect it takes, the ability to lead," Holmgren said. "They are quite different in a lot of ways, but those are the things that would be very attractive to anybody that coaches them."

Hasselbeck's passer rating of 98.2 this season ranked fourth in the league. The only season in which Favre had a better mark was 1995 (99.5).

Six people were asked last week if Hasselbeck's level of play had climbed to Favre's level at the same age (30). Three Seahawks - vice president Mike Reinfeldt, wide receivers coach Nolan Cromwell and defensive line coach Dwaine Board - either said it was very similar or equal. Three Steelers - defensive line coach John Mitchell, assistant secondary coach Ray Horton and safety Tyrone Carter - said it wasn't.

Said Reinfeldt: "I think his level of productivity is nearing Brett. He's a different guy than Brett, more of an efficient guy. He operates so well within the West Coast offense. . . the progressions, the right decisions, the right throws. It's interesting. It's Matt's fifth season here and it was Brett's fifth season in Green Bay when we won the Super Bowl."

Said Wolf: "I don't know because I haven't seen a lot of Hasselbeck. But I think you're talking about a different level here. Favre probably had three MVPs by that time."

In the weeks leading up to the '04 draft, Steelers quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple said the Steelers ranked Eli Manning first, Roethlisberger second and Philip Rivers third.

"Everybody knew that we didn't have a shot at Manning," Whipple said. "Roethlisberger was our target all the way."

There was much to like about Roethlisberger. He was big (6-5, 241), relatively fast (4.86) for his size, more than smart enough (25 on the Wonderlic) for the position and could make just about every throw.

The Steelers had one problem: They weren't picking until No. 11 and some mock drafts had Roethlisberger gone by No. 4.

San Diego and the New York Giants also wanted quarterbacks but preferred Manning and Rivers. Oakland and Arizona, which still don't have quarterbacks, took tackle Robert Gallery and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.

Butch Davis signed his walking papers in Cleveland by signing Jeff Garcia to play quarterback and then trading up for tight end Kellen Winslow at No. 6. Still believing in Joey Harrington, Detroit President Matt Millen chose wide receiver Roy Williams at No. 7.

Atlanta, Jacksonville and Houston all had young quarterbacks and selected cornerback DeAngelo Hall, wide receiver Reggie Williams and cornerback Dunta Robinson, respectively. Pittsburgh, which feared Buffalo would trade up from No. 13 to take Roethlisberger, couldn't have been more exultant when the Bills stayed put.

After Maddox was injured in Week 3 of 2004, Roethlisberger had to play. His passer ratings have been 98.1 in 2004 (and 61.3 in the playoffs), 98.6 in 2005 (and 124.8 in the playoffs). He is the first quarterback since the merger in 1970 to make it to the conference championship game in his first two seasons. His record as a starter is 25-4.

"He's really good," said Wolf, who has seen much more of Roethlisberger than Hasselbeck. "He plays within himself. He has the ability to step around the rush and make a play. When they have to win, they put the ball in his hands and let him throw it."

Will Roethlisberger develop into one of the game's great quarterbacks?

"He sure looks like he will," Wolf said. "He looks like a more mobile Jim Kelly but not as pure a passer as Kelly. Not right now, anyway."

Either Hasselbeck or Roethlisberger will win a Super Bowl tonight. Don't be surprised if the victor goes on to become the 10th quarterback in Super Bowl history to capture more than one.

-----------------

that line right there is why i'm so hard set on thinking that sherman was in charge of that draft

Sparkey
08-22-2006, 08:24 PM
http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/2006/07/index.html

Bretsky
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
THANKS SPARKY; HERE IS HIS POSTED ARTICLE FOR THOSE TOO LAZY TO CLICK ON URL (normally me).

Interesting points.

While all eyes are focused on newcomers A.J. Hawk, Abdul Hodge, Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson and Marquand Manuel, the person who really holds the key to the success of the defense in 2006 isn’t going to sack a quarterback, make a tackle or intercept a pass. “[Coordinator] Bob Sanders is the biggest question mark on that side of the ball,” said a regional scout for another team. “He has a solid reputation as a position coach, but there are two major issues with him. One is his background and the other is his personality. He’s never been in charge of a defense in 30 years of coaching, and unlike his friend and mentor Jim Bates, he’s pretty laid back.”

Sanders spent 11 seasons at the University of Florida and was passed over on four separate occasions when coach Steve Spurrier needed to find a new defensive coordinator. First, Ron Zook was hired in '91, then Bob Pruett in '94, then Bob Stoops in '96 and finally Jon Hoke in '99. Sanders was named either assistant defensive coordinator or assistant co-defensive coordinator in each instance, but in reality, he was just a glorified aide. “The title was for the sake of appearance,” said the scout. “Why didn’t Spurrier give the job to Sanders? That’s a question only the Ol’ Ball Coach can answer, but an educated guess would be that he wanted someone with a more fiery personality leading the defense. Pruett, and especially Zook, Stoops and Hoke, are considered to be rah-rah guys and master motivators - much like Bates. Sanders, on the other hand, is more quiet and cerebral - much like Eddie Donatell and Bob Slowik.”

Mentioning Sanders in the same breath as Donatell, and especially Slowik, has to make Packer fans cringe. “Look, he might be the next great coordinator, but I will say this, that defense really seemed to respond to Bates’ energy,” said the scout. “I’m not sure going away from that is such a good idea. There’s a bunch of guys on that side of the ball who need a swift kick in the ass from time to time.” So what about the argument for continuity? “There’s something to be said for that, but to be honest, Bates isn’t considered a great Xs and Os guy,” added the scout. “What truly made Bates effective was how hard he got guys to play, and unless Sanders can do the same thing, I’m not so sure keeping the system in place is going to mean all that much at the end of the day.”