PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 mock draft poll

packrulz
04-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Select which player the Packers should draft in round 2.

Joemailman
04-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Doug Martin - RB - Boise St.

Bretsky
04-04-2012, 06:40 AM
McClellin

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
CB Jayron Hosley (Vriginia Tech) 5'10 178 4.38 40 yard dash

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2533061/jayron-hosley/

OVERVIEW

Hosley is an early-entry junior who was statistically a very productive corner for Virginia Tech throughout his career. He is undersized but plays with tenacity and a sense of urgency when around the ball. Hosley is an extremely scrappy player who finds a way to make an impact from the boundary corner position. He could be a late riser in the draft and needs to prove that he can add weight to his frame to compete with NFL size, but he has late first-round value and should find playing time in nickel packages right away.

STRENGTHS
Hosley is an excellent zone corner who has a ton of range and play-making ability around the ball. He has good field awareness to sniff out receiver screens and is a quick reactor when the ball is thrown. He is consistently involved in the play and has good length to disengage receivers from the ball. Hosley is deceptive as a hitter and can deliver a serious blow for such a small frame. He has an impressive bubble and is a very bouncy athlete who can change directions on a dime. He is capable of smothering at the line using his hands and technique, and is good to stay in receivers' hip in-phase. He is a scrappy player who employs an unconventional shuffle step off the ball and technique in general, but he finds a way to make impact plays.

WEAKNESSES
Hosley is very thin and could get abused by the bigger, more physical Larry Fitzgeralds of the league. He has unconventional footwork that could get him in trouble against quicker athletes. He can get lost at times when working with his back towards the ball and needs to be placed within the right scheme to be an effective player.

or

CB Trumaine Johnson (Montana) 6'2 202 4.5 40 yard dash 35.5" vertical

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532877/trumaine-johnson/

OVERVIEW
Johnson is arguably one of the best and most polished NFL prospects to come out of the Big Sky Conference in quite some time. He is a big, athletic cover corner who has completely dominated his competition to this point in his career. He has the speed and agility to stay with receivers and also the height -- a shade over 6-foot-2 -- to match up in the red zone. Despite playing in the Football Championship Subdivision, Johnson is an NFL-ready corner who is projected to be picked in the second round.

STRENGTHS
Johnson is a lanky defender who has the athletic ability to stay in a receiver's hip and make plays. He uses his arms effectively in press coverage and jabs receivers to interrupt their routes and timing within the offense. He understands when to react in zone and possesses the long speed to take risks there and still recover. He is good at reading the receiver's hips, reacting to their drop and quickly making a play on the ball. He is a very effective tackler and imposing athlete at the position.

WEAKNESSES
Johnson could be knocked for not having experience covering receivers in top-notch conferences like other corners at the top of the draft board. There will undoubtedly be a learning curve for him at the next level. Although he is a good tackler against the run, he can get caught on blocks at times and needs to learn to shed more quickly.

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
McClellin

Already picked, come on you know a white pass rusher isn't going to last this long in here. :)

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
BTW CB Josh Robinson has a 5th round draft grade, we better not select his ass with our 2nd round pick.

Lurker64
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Other, Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma.

I honestly don't want any of these players. Can we get a new poll? Weeden's old and has little value as a backup, Osweiler's a ridiculous reach here (I wouldn't touch him before the fourth round), Kendricks doesn't really fit the defense, Mosley doesn't really help much (he's probably worse than the OTs we've got), Robinson doesn't fit the TT mold for CBs (too short and slow), and Wolfe is a reach and double-dips at the position we picked in the first round.

Troy's Johnathan Massaquoi or Virginia's Cam Johnson are also pretty good options for OLB. I think I'd rather have Trumaine Johnson than Josh Robinson if we're going to pick a DB, since Johnson at least can play safety.

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Other, Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma.

I honestly don't want any of these players. Can we get a new poll? Weeden's old and has little value as a backup, Osweiler's a ridiculous reach here (I wouldn't touch him before the fourth round), Kendricks doesn't really fit the defense, Mosley doesn't really help much (he's probably worse than the OTs we've got), Robinson doesn't fit the TT mold for CBs (too short and slow), and Wolfe is a reach and double-dips at the position we picked in the first round.

Troy's Johnathan Massaquoi or Virginia's Cam Johnson are also pretty good options for OLB. I think I'd rather have Trumaine Johnson than Josh Robinson if we're going to pick a DB, since Johnson at least can play safety.

Honestly all the OLB you listed have 4th-5th round grade value from what I've read. Only guy I've seen games from is Cam Johnson of UVA and not a big fan. Luckily for us TT will not be selecting a defensive lineman in the 1st round like in this mock draft so hopefully that pick will be used on a OLB. I agree though we do need a new list of players.

Lurker64
04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Honestly all the OLB you listed have 4th-5th round grade value from what I've read. Only guy I've seen games from is Cam Johnson of UVA and not a big fan. Luckily for us TT will not be selecting a defensive lineman in the 1st round like in this mock draft so hopefully that pick will be used on a OLB. I agree though we do need a new list of players.

Rush OLBs grades are all over the place. There are teams with a fourth or fifth round grade on Shea McClellin, but there's also talk of him going in the first. If you like a guy, and he fits the slot, you take him.

I like Lewis, and I would be happy to take him at #59.

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Rush OLBs grades are all over the place. There are teams with a fourth or fifth round grade on Shea McClellin, but there's also talk of him going in the first. If you like a guy, and he fits the slot, you take him.

I like Lewis, and I would be happy to take him at #59.

True, only thing I don't like about Lewis is that hes not much of a pass rusher. After signing Saturday, Hargrove, and Muir I'm pretty sure Ted will be selecting a pass rushing OLB with our 1st pick.

sheepshead
04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
A good one!

Cheesehead Craig
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
True, only thing I don't like about Lewis is that hes not much of a pass rusher. After signing Saturday, Hargrove, and Muir I'm pretty sure Ted will be selecting a pass rushing OLB with our 1st pick.

Agree completely. Been thinking this since before the season was over that he was going pass rushing OLB with the first round pick.

Lurker64
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Lewis is a good pressure guy, but didn't get a lot of sacks. But the thing is, you don't need a double-digit sack guy on both sides, if you have a guy that can get home on one side, and a guy who can rattle QBs on the other side, that's generally good enough.

The thing to worry about with Lewis is that he's supposedly about as dumb as a bag of hammers. He also hits like said bag of hammers, so a lot can be forgiven.

Upnorth
04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm voting BDPA (best defensive passrush available).

Joemailman
04-04-2012, 04:09 PM

I thought the general consensus was that Johnson lacks the agility to play OLB. He'd be the pick here if that is not the case.

packrulz
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Doug Martin was drafted #32, Hosley is smaller than the DB's TT likes, Trumaine Johnson was arrested (and tazed) and has character issues, Josh Robinson was the fastest player in the draft, Ronnell Lewis really only had one good year and couldn't pass his classes. I was going for BPA, not filling needs, at this point of the draft, which I think is deep at DT/DE. TT will need to draft a QB somewhere. The reason I included "other" in the poll is in case there was overwhelming demand for some player I may have missed, but I'm not seeing that, one vote for Ronnell Lewis and one for Hosley. Did you guys even look at the video clips?

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
If your going for BPA then Hosley is clearly the guy. I don't need to look at the video clips that only show the good plays by each player and not their weaknesses. I looked at the scouting report of each guy you listed. We already drafted a D-lineman in the 1st round and have signed two during the offseason so I don't really see a need for DE Wolfe to be one of the options. LaMichael James should be listed over Pead at RB being the change of pace back we are missing on offense. Hosley should be listed over Robinson, OT Brandon Mosley shouldn't even be listed as a 2nd round pick, and Brandon Weeden is 29 years old. Mychal Kendricks would be a decent pick since he could play OLB but hes kinda small and Brock Osweiler is a nice project but hes extremely raw.

Guiness
04-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Weedon's 28?

Just read his wiki page - he was drafted by the Yankees...in 2002!

RashanGary
04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I like Jared Crick. Slightly undersized 5 tech, but a heck of a pass rusher.

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I like Jared Crick. Slightly undersized 5 tech, but a heck of a pass rusher.

Already drafted

RashanGary
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I changed my mind. The Packers are going to take Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia.

ND72
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
If Irving is there he'd be my pick as well, especially since we wasted round 1 on a guy, Still, who according to multiple sources doesn't fit in a 3-4 scheme.

packrulz
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
If your going for BPA then Hosley is clearly the guy. I don't need to look at the video clips that only show the good plays by each player and not their weaknesses. I looked at the scouting report of each guy you listed. We already drafted a D-lineman in the 1st round and have signed two during the offseason so I don't really see a need for DE Wolfe to be one of the options. LaMichael James should be listed over Pead at RB being the change of pace back we are missing on offense. Hosley should be listed over Robinson, OT Brandon Mosley shouldn't even be listed as a 2nd round pick, and Brandon Weeden is 29 years old. Mychal Kendricks would be a decent pick since he could play OLB but hes kinda small and Brock Osweiler is a nice project but hes extremely raw.
Like I said, we got one vote for Hosley. I vote for Wolfe, the man is a beast.

Lurker64
04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
If Irving is there he'd be my pick as well, especially since we wasted round 1 on a guy, Still, who according to multiple sources doesn't fit in a 3-4 scheme.

Pretty much every prospect will be said by one scout or another as "doesn't fit an odd/even front". There are also multiple sources who say Still doesn't fit a 4-3 scheme, so is the solution that he just can't play? Or is it that we're significantly overcritical of everybody this time of year? I mean, some guys drafted on day 3 in a few weeks are going to end up as NFL starters, and nobody's given them much of a chance either.

Irvin really makes me nervous, the fact that he didn't even start in college is what makes me like guys like Lewis, Massaquoi, and Johnson more.

Joemailman
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM

Okay, I didn't realize Wolfe was that big. I'd be okay with him, although there's a chance he might be available in the 3rd. Not sure I'd take him at 59.

Lurker64
04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Okay, I didn't realize Wolfe was that big. I'd be okay with him, although there's a chance he might be available in the 3rd. Not sure I'd take him at 59.

I think, honestly, if the war room isn't sold on an OLB or a DB (and Robinson isn't on TT's draft board) then the play here is to trade back. There's little value here for the Packers.

Brandon494
04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Well right now "other" is leading the poll with 7 votes over the names mentioned so maybe we should update the poll.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Jared Crick would be the best selection for the Packers in round one. Regardless what the Packers did in free agency isn't going to change TT's opinion on how to draft. Crick battled some injuries in 2011 but is just pops out on film. I posted some of his clips in the "combine" thread. Most polished player on the defensive line in the draft. He shouldn't last until the 62 pick of the draft, and neither will Bruce Irvin.

RashanGary
04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Jared Crick would be the best selection for the Packers in round one. Regardless what the Packers did in free agency isn't going to change TT's opinion on how to draft. Crick battled some injuries in 2011 but is just pops out on film. I posted some of his clips in the "combine" thread. Most polished player on the defensive line in the draft. He shouldn't last until the 62 pick of the draft, and neither will Bruce Irvin.

Fuck yeah, Crick is bad ass. For his size, as good as he battles with his hands. . . . the absolutely shocking part is he can get a corner and on top of that, when he wins the hand fight he closes like a mother fucker. It's one thing to fight off a block. It's quite another once you win that battle to explode and close the way he does. He's friggin good. And he can hold up in the run game. He's tough.

It's a passing league. If I have a choice between a C+ pass rusher and an A+ run stuffer at DE or an A pass rusher but a C+ run stuffer at DE. . . . 3-4 or not, if he's a decent run player and a great pass rusher, I take the pass rush every single time. And he does both, 280 or not.

Pass rush is pass rush, whether it comes from the DE or the OLB. Baltimore wasn't complaining about JJ Watt getting after the passer. Impact is impact is impact. PERIOD. There is no rule anywhere saying your DL shouldn't be able to get after the QB. There is no amount of common sense anywhere saying it's not an amazing thing if your 3-4 DE gets after the QB.

pbmax
04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Justin, do you think you can kill the George Carlin 7 words routine in each post? I understand, you are very excited by Watson and Crick. And Irvin.

packrulz
04-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Well right now "other" is leading the poll with 7 votes over the names mentioned so maybe we should update the poll.
I can't. I'll just make a new poll.