PDA

View Full Version : rip blair kiel...

gbgary
04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/146620135.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

a heart attack it seems at 50. too young.

Kiwon
04-09-2012, 01:47 AM
It's been 21 years since he played in GB? Wow, time flies.

Yeah, 50 seems almost young these days.

sheepshead
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
a friend of mine interviewed him for a job once in Indy. I'm not sure his life has worked out the way he envisioned (before his death I mean) RIP

woodbuck27
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
a friend of mine interviewed him for a job once in Indy. I'm not sure his life has worked out the way he envisioned (before his death I mean) RIP

Nice....Yes RIP Green Bay Packer QB Blair Kiel. These times are tough on Family.

Scott Campbell
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Why?

Was it a bad job?

Fritz
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Wasn't he supposed to be the next Joe Montana? Or at least a second-hand version of Joe Montana?

Instead, he was more like the previous incantation of Ron Powlus.

Patler
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
When Blair Kiel left Notre Dame, I believe he was in the top 5 all-time for passing yards at Notre Dame. This was at a time when ND typically was rushing for over 200 yards/game. He took over the starting job as a freshman and had a very good year. Then...Dan Devine left after his freshman year and Gerry Faust took over. You can say and think what you want about Devine, but at least he put together very good coaching staffs that knew how to be successful in major college programs (perhaps in spite of Devine, himself). Gerry Faust brought in and mandated a high school approach, a high school mentality and a high school philosophy to a college program just a few years removed from a National Championship. Faust changed things from game to game. He seemingly tried to play everyone. If a player had a poor game, the next week someone else started. Players moved around constantly. He tried to win with gimmicks. It was a royal mess to watch. Blair Kiel and Tony Hunter were two of the few positive things from that time in Notre dame football.

Blair Kiel suffered from a very severe case of Crohns disease, and due to severe weight loss and strength loss that resulted from it, he had to drop out of football after his rookie season with Tampa Bay. After finally getting the disease under control to some extent, he came back two years later to play as a backup in the NFL and CFL for another eight years, but Crohns very clearly affected his career. He was the founder of the Crohns foundation in Indiana and sponsored several fund raisers every year for it.

Kiel was a very naturally talented punter, but never punted regularly nor did he train much for it. He did punt off and on in college and a few brief stints in the NFL as a backup. I always thought that if he had dedicated himself to punting instead of QB, he might have developed into a very talented NFL punter.

mraynrand
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
When Blair Kiel left Notre Dame, I believe he was in the top 5 all-time for passing yards at Notre Dame. This was at a time when ND typically was rushing for over 200 yards/game. He took over the starting job as a freshman and had a very good year. Then...Dan Devine left after his freshman year and Gerry Faust took over. You can say and think what you want about Devine, but at least he put together very good coaching staffs that knew how to be successful in major college programs (perhaps in spite of Devine, himself). Gerry Faust brought in and mandated a high school approach, a high school mentality and a high school philosophy to a college program just a few years removed from a National Championship. Faust changed things from game to game. He seemingly tried to play everyone. If a player had a poor game, the next week someone else started. Players moved around constantly. He tried to win with gimmicks. It was a royal mess to watch. Blair Kiel and Tony Hunter were two of the few positive things from that time in Notre dame football.

Blair Kiel suffered from a very severe case of Crohns disease, and due to severe weight loss and strength loss that resulted from it, he had to drop out of football after his rookie season with Tampa Bay. After finally getting the disease under control to some extent, he came back two years later to play as a backup in the NFL and CFL for another eight years, but Crohns very clearly affected his career. He was the founder of the Crohns foundation in Indiana and sponsored several fund raisers every year for it.

Kiel was a very naturally talented punter, but never punted regularly nor did he train much for it. He did punt off and on in college and a few brief stints in the NFL as a backup. I always thought that if he had dedicated himself to punting instead of QB, he might have developed into a very talented NFL punter.

when are you going to start charging $5/mo. for access to your articles? :lol:

Patler
04-10-2012, 05:01 PM
when are you going to start charging $5/mo. for access to your articles? :lol:

I could post a link to me paypal account if you would like to make a contribution! :D