PDA

View Full Version : Post consussive syndrome - a first hand experience?

Guiness
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, I had a weird week-end!

Seems I might have given myself a concussion Wednesday night. Dizzy and nauseous, any sort of movement giving me the 'spins' breaking out in a cold sweat. I'm slowly getting better, but I've certainly never felt anything like this.

I have a new appreciation for the struggle players go through as they try to come back from a head injury when their noggin just isn't co-operating. I'm not going back to work tomorrow, Wednesday's not looking good either.

woodbuck27
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Seems I might have given myself a concussion Wednesday night. Dizzy and nauseous, any sort of movement giving me the 'spins' breaking out in a cold sweat. I'm slowly getting better, but I've certainly never felt anything like this.

I have a new appreciation for the struggle players go through as they try to come back from a head injury when their noggin just isn't co-operating. I'm not going back to work tomorrow, Wednesday's not looking good either.

Hope this isn't serious Guiness. Concussions take awhile to come back from. Alot more than days/weeks. Read all you can about this condition as your diagnosed.

The good news with Johnny home from work.

Johnny can work up his 'very best masterpiece' of a MOCK draft.

Yes MJ is right...first thing first and that means see a DOCTOR ASAP if you already havn't Guiness. SEE A DOCTOR PRONTO !

MJZiggy
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Go to the doctor. Now. And make sure when you go to sleep that there's someone to rouse you every couple hours.

swede
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Go to the doctor. Now. And make sure when you go to sleep that there's someone to rouse you every couple hours.

See if Snake's girlfriend is available for rousing duty.

hoosier
04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Ziggy's right. How did it happen?

ND72
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
oh how I loved concussions...I just never knew I had them. I still don't remember many of my football games my senior year of high school. I actually broke 2 helmets, and routinely had to rewatch the game film on a saturday just to know what had happened. I'm not that far removed from high school, but enough that even 13 years ago concussions were not that "watched". Brain is crazy.

woodbuck27
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
oh how I loved concussions...I just never knew I had them. I still don't remember many of my football games my senior year of high school. I actually broke 2 helmets, and routinely had to rewatch the game film on a saturday just to know what had happened. I'm not that far removed from high school, but enough that even 13 years ago concussions were not that "watched". Brain is crazy.

Cool Man. Your equipment manager... 'didn't loved you'. Your psyco therapist makes alot of money off you. His wife and kids love you.

The greatest aim >>> balance 'in LIFE'.

"I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

ND72
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Cool Man. Your equipment manager... 'didn't loved you'. Your psyco therapist makes alot of money off you. His wife and kids love you.

Who needs a psyco therapist when you're a teacher? I get to yell all day!

woodbuck27
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Who needs a psyco therapist when you're a teacher? I get to yell all day!

In hear you.

I've been a teacher too. THANK God I chose 'Adult Education'.

Upnorth
04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
What did you do to yourself Guiness? Back in highschool I got rung pretty well from three sides during a game, got a midgrade concussiona and whiplash. My head felt like an egg balanced on a pin and I had splitting headaches. I pray you feel better soon friend.

pbmax
04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't go back to work until this doesn't give you a headache.

http://i077.radikal.ru/0905/e4/686fb8033b3b.gif

Upnorth
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't go back to work until this doesn't give you a headache.

http://i077.radikal.ru/0905/e4/686fb8033b3b.gif

So I can go home from work then?

Guiness
04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
It happened Wednesday evening, and I'm not quite sure how. Certainly innocuous. I've had concussions before, 3 or 4 notable ones, and like the others I don't quite remember the time of the incident. I've never had lasting effects beyond a headache for a day or so.

What happened? Nothing much, that's for sure. I went out with the dog just before bed, and remember feeling dizzy and nauseous. I went into the house, and straight up to bed. I was at my gf's, and she noticed I left the light on outside. She went to turn it off, and saw that I'd also left the dog out and the car door open! By the time she got upstairs, I was asleep. I'm probably lucky I did wake up in the morning MJ!

When I got up the next day, Upnorth's description of an egg balanced on a pin is quite accurate! Every time I moved I thought I was going to throw up. Cold sweats, holding onto the bed to stop it from spinning. Opening my eyes and trying to focus on an object to convince my brain I wasn't moving. Made it through the day, no temperature, blood pressure normal, couldn't figure out what was wrong!!! Finally went to the doctor on Saturday. He checked my neurological responses, couldn't find anything and said there was something wrong with my middle ear, nothing could be done, wait it out and it should pass.

All this, of course, because we were missing a pretty vital clue my gf finally noticed...what's this bump on your head? With my memory jogged, I sort of remember banging my head while I was getting something out of the car! I put the pieces together, mostly what I've read on this site and read about Sidney Crosby and figured what must've happened. No, it wasn't a hard whack, no big story...but it must have been in some magic spot that got hit, because it sure scrambled my brains. I am feeling better today, but not right yet. It's slow and frustrating.

red
04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
i think the whole, not sleeping after getting one is a bit over blown.i stopped counting mine when i hit my 20th one a few years back. i slept, or past out after everyone of mine, and i lived. plus sleeping is about the only time you can get away from feeling like shit for a bit

my worst one, the PCS lasted almost 6 months. nothing like feeling you have the biggest hangover of your life for half a year, then not be able to remember a few months.

going to the doc is also a waste of time. once you've had one, you know when you get another one. and there is nothing a doctor can do but give you a head scan, tell you to take it easy, then give you a bill for a couple thousand bucks

skip the bill and just rest, try to move as little as possible, and put a cool wet dark rag over your face

Deputy Nutz
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Concussion symptoms can be different for everyone. I never had memory loss, just sickness, and headaches that felt like migraines for only a few short hours.

hoosier
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
The symptoms you're describing (nausea, dizziness, vertigo) can also be caused by an inner ear infection, among other things. If those symptoms haven't gone away you might want to see an ear doc.

MJZiggy
04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
The symptoms you're describing (nausea, dizziness, vertigo) can also be caused by an inner ear infection, among other things. If those symptoms haven't gone away you might want to see an ear doc.

Reminds me of being in the doc's office years ago when he stood me up, told me to close my eyes and caught me when I immediately fell over because of clogged middle ears.

Guiness
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM

I should be ok with that - it did occur to me. I did go into emerg (in Canada here, it cost me nothing, not a cool thou!). Doc looked in my ears and checked my temp.

tx for the thoughts

hoosier
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Reminds me of being in the doc's office years ago when he stood me up, told me to close my eyes and caught me when I immediately fell over because of clogged middle ears.

I bet you fall for every doctor you meet. :-)

woodbuck27
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I should be ok with that - it did occur to me. I did go into emerg (in Canada here, it cost me nothing, not a cool thou!). Doc looked in my ears and checked my temp.

tx for the thoughts

It's now Thursday 00:37 DST.... How were you feeling on Wednesday 11th April, 2012?

Any progress Guiness?

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2012, 12:31 AM
See if Snake's girlfriend is available for rousing duty.

Ya..she's good for that..but even better on rocking ur head w on the fly craziness.

I had 3 football concussions...2 on my crotchrocket....1 serious that took a month..just rest bro.