PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson's Tendencies

Joemailman
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
So you're trying to figure out who Ted is going to go after in this year's draft. You've analyzed the Packers needs (because you can't help yourself), and you've created your own Big Board or am using someone else's. All well and good. However, this will be Ted's 8th draft with the Packers and there are some established tendencies you may want to consider:

1. Ted never drafts cornerbacks shorter than 6 feet tall.

2. Ted never drafts character risks in the early rounds.

3. Ted has never drafted a running back or wide receiver in the 1st round.

4. However, in 4 of the 7 years, Ted has drafted a wide receiver in the 2nd round.

5. Ted has never drafted a college interior offensive lineman earlier than the 3rd round.

6. Six years in a row Ted has drafted at least 1 college offensive tackle.

7. Ted has never trade his 1st round pick plus another pick to move up in the 1st round. In 2007, he traded out of the 1st round and picked up Jordy Nelson in the 2nd. The other 6 years he has stood pat in the 1st round.

8. Ted has never drafted defensive players with his first 3 picks in the draft.

Discuss and feel free to add your own.

sharpe1027
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
5. Ted has never drafted a college interior offensive lineman earlier than the 3rd round.

6. Six years in a row Ted has drafted at least 1 college offensive tackle.

Most of the linemen he drafts played tackle in college, and some then get moved to guard. He must prefer the traits found more often in college tackles, regardless of whether they are going to play at tackle or guard in the NFL.

Brandon494
04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
8. Ted has never drafted defensive players with his first 3 picks in the draft.

Wasn't Nick Collins a 2nd round pick?

Joemailman
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM

I meant all 3 picks.

pbmax
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM

He means 3 defensive picks in a row ala the Randy Moss panic draft. Which, it should be noted years later, was not among Wolf's better decisions.

sharpe1027
04-12-2012, 05:09 PM
7. Ted has never trade his 1st round pick plus another pick to move up in the 1st round. In 2007, he traded out of the 1st round and picked up Jordy Nelson in the 2nd. The other 6 years he has stood pat in the 1st round.

You could add an "*" for that one: he traded into the first round using a second and two thirds to get Clay.

Brandon494
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
ah gotcha

Fritz
04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
He means 3 defensive picks in a row ala the Randy Moss panic draft. Which, it should be noted years later, was not among Wolf's better decisions.

Wait, wasn't that the Antuan/Antwan Edwards, Fred Vinson (?), Mike Mckenzie one-two-three punch? If so, it should be noted that while Edwards was a bitter failure, Mckenzie proved to be very solid, and Wolf turned straw into gold when he traded Vinson (or whatever his name was) to Seattle for Ahman Green.

So...Mike Mckenzie and Ahman Green in the first three rounds? Not too shabby. Though I grant that Edwards sucked large, oblong-shaped objects.

red
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
almost all of the guys he picks are "high motor" or "high character" or "team leader" types

Smidgeon
04-12-2012, 05:34 PM
We could probably have a list of items that used to be on the list that have since been proven wrong, then posting odds on which cut and clear rule from this year he'll go against.

Joemailman
04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
We could probably have a list of items that used to be on the list that have since been proven wrong, then posting odds on which cut and clear rule from this year he'll go against.

True. Until 2010 Ted had never drafted an offensive lineman in the 1st round, and then did it 2 years in a row. Some, like not drafting character risks early, are things I believe he will never stray from. The most likely one he'll go against this year is 5. Ted has never drafted a college interior offensive lineman earlier than the 3rd round. In fact, in my mock I have Ted taking Ben Jones, C, Georgia in the 2nd round.

KYPack
04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Daryn Colledge was a 2 in 2006 for our TT, unless you don't count Tackles as an int OL.

Scott Campbell
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Daryn Colledge was a 2 in 2006 for our TT, unless you don't count Tackles as an int OL.

Did anyone even miss that guy a little after he left?

Joemailman
04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Correct. I meant Centers and Guards. Spitz in the 3rd round is the earliest TT has taken a guy who played primarily Center and/or Guard in college.

packrulz
04-12-2012, 06:20 PM
9. Ted keeps his mouth shut, never tips his hand, and is unpredictable as hell.

hoosier
04-12-2012, 07:03 PM
True. Until 2010 Ted had never drafted an offensive lineman in the 1st round, and then did it 2 years in a row. Some, like not drafting character risks early, are things I believe he will never stray from. The most likely one he'll go against this year is 5. Ted has never drafted a college interior offensive lineman earlier than the 3rd round. In fact, in my mock I have Ted taking Ben Jones, C, Georgia in the 2nd round.

Speaking of which, here is another TT constant: in each previous draft he has gone against one of his previous tendencies. In other words, there are no absolutes (except this one).

pbmax
04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Wait, wasn't that the Antuan/Antwan Edwards, Fred Vinson (?), Mike Mckenzie one-two-three punch? If so, it should be noted that while Edwards was a bitter failure, Mckenzie proved to be very solid, and Wolf turned straw into gold when he traded Vinson (or whatever his name was) to Seattle for Ahman Green.

So...Mike Mckenzie and Ahman Green in the first three rounds? Not too shabby. Though I grant that Edwards sucked large, oblong-shaped objects.

The Vinson trade saved the strategy from a personnel standpoint. But it failed utterly to stop Moss.

Lurker64
04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Ted has never drafted *anyone* shorter than Brandon Jackson who is 5'9 7/8" tall, basically 5'10". So don't expect Ted to draft anybody shorter than 5'10".

Ted drafts offensive linemen who are unusually athletic for their size with few exceptions. Look for a good shuttle or cone (or both) from a TT OL.

Not only has Ted never drafted a CB shorter than 6'0", he's never drafted a CB slower than 4.50.

Brandon494
04-12-2012, 07:34 PM
None of this stuff means anything to me, if the player is good and he believes that player will help this team TT is going to draft him.

Lurker64
04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
None of this stuff means anything to me, if the player is good and he believes that player will help this team TT is going to draft him.

The thing is, we're just looking for a correlation between "things we can measure" and "what TT thinks is good." Since "whether a player is good" doesn't matter so much as "whether TT thinks he's good." So, apparently if TT sees a defensive back who is short and slow, he doesn't believe that player is good and won't take him. If Ted sees a kid is a high character guy who's a leader, then he sees this as more important in determining a "good player" than another team who might be able to excuse a guy who's a bit of a creep because he plays well.

There's no really objective measure of "good player."

HowardRoark
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
87.54% of TT Packers Tweet Bible verses.

Cheesehead Craig
04-12-2012, 10:57 PM

I still think he should go against this tendency and trade up to get Melvin Ingram.

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 12:06 AM
I still think he should go against this tendency and trade up to get Melvin Ingram.

While I would love to see Melvin Ingram in green and gold, the price will be prohibitive. You would probably have to match or exceed the trade that the Atlanta Falcons made for Julio Jones last year (OUT: 1st, 2nd, 4th future 1st, 4th IN: high first), and I'm not really comfortable with that.

Ted actually has said he's not comfortable trading future picks at all, and Ingram probably gets picked in the top 10 so there's really no way to get him.

Joemailman
04-13-2012, 12:09 AM

He would probably have to trade his 2nd and 3rd to move up that high. He'd be giving up more than he gave up to grab Matthews. Hard to see him doing that.

packrulz
04-13-2012, 03:58 AM
10. Ted leaves no rock unturned in looking for hidden gems, he drafts guys from schools like Appalachian State (Smith, D.J.), Youngstown State (Ross, Brandian), Kent State (Muir, Daniel), Middle Tennessee St.(Lattimore, Jamari), Shippensburg (Kuhn, John), & Western Michigan (Jennings, Greg).

Fritz
04-13-2012, 06:19 AM
11. Ted Thompson has never drafted a woman. That we know of.

Joemailman
04-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Although when I saw Brian Brohm throw, I wasn't so sure.

woodbuck27
04-13-2012, 07:43 AM
The thing is, we're just looking for a correlation between "things we can measure" and "what TT thinks is good." Since "whether a player is good" doesn't matter so much as "whether TT thinks he's good." So, apparently if TT sees a defensive back who is short and slow, he doesn't believe that player is good and won't take him. If Ted sees a kid is a high character guy who's a leader, then he sees this as more important in determining a "good player" than another team who might be able to excuse a guy who's a bit of a creep because he plays well.

There's no really objective measure of "good player."

Thus we get this:

Ted Thompson 'only' drafts 'Green Bay' ... Packer ...people.

Solid charcter GUYS. As 'a BONUS';community minded folk. Prospects with good esteem and a positive attitude towords being Green Bay Packers. Prospects with 'proven leadership experience' not just potential.

Ted Thompson isn't remaking the wheel. He's just like any solid GM in any solid company or organization. He wants prospects that'll contribute in the Packer scheme (s) and be totally happy and productive away from the locker room and playing field.

They must be 5 ft 11 inch's or taller; preferably at least six feet tall. He certainly looks for versatility in terms of completing an assignment in those he picks for our OL and DL.

TT wants a prospect to fit his puzzle. He doesn't care if anyone is confused as to what that finished puzzle is, or looks like. He finds the pieces as efficiently as he is able to.

Pugger
04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
9. Ted keeps his mouth shut, never tips his hand, and is unpredictable as hell.

This. ;-)

Pugger
04-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Although when I saw Brian Brohm throw, I wasn't so sure.

Hey now! :-) :lol:

woodbuck27
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
87.54% of TT Packers Tweet Bible verses.

Do you have 'a LINK' to support that. (-;

Smeefers
04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
From what I hear, on draft day, TT swears like a sailor all day long. By the end of the day, he has his shirt off and his chest is covered in peanut butter and blood. He once made an intern knee him in the groin for luck before the draft and that year they got AR.

Don't take my word as gospel or anything, I just have a reliable inside source.

woodbuck27
04-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Nice dream. In reality that cost to TT ( check it out ** based on a legit guess when Melvin Ingram will be picked) would be his 2nd,3rd and 4th round pics.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Making that trade up...would diminish all the fun he wants to have with his draft. that move would retard our potential progress. The too many eggs or in this case ...ONE BIG EGG ... in one basket approach, doesn't play. TT needs his second - fourth round picks. IMO...We've 'too much need... all over' now.

TT believes in our system developing prospects with good attitudes,character (Packer People) and at a very decent talent level.

GO Ted Thompson.

sharpe1027
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
From what I hear, on draft day, TT swears like a sailor all day long. By the end of the day, he has his shirt off and his chest is covered in peanut butter and blood. He once made an intern knee him in the groin for luck before the draft and that year they got AR.

Don't take my word as gospel or anything, I just have a reliable inside source.

Even Bill Brasky steers clear of TT on draft day.

run pMc
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
"Not only has Ted never drafted a CB shorter than 6'0", he's never drafted a CB slower than 4.50."

How did Pat Lee time? For some reason I thought one of the knocks on him was speed.

Smidgeon
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
"Not only has Ted never drafted a CB shorter than 6'0", he's never drafted a CB slower than 4.50."

How did Pat Lee time? For some reason I thought one of the knocks on him was speed.

I did a look at combine 40s last year. Pat Lee, like AJ Hawk, tested extremely well. Had one of the best combine 40s on the team. It just didn't translate to the field.

Just looked again. He had a 4.41 with a 1.46 10-yard split. Kid should be lightning quick as a DB. But no instincts will do that.

HowardRoark
04-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Do you have 'a LINK' to support that. (-;

My own reseach.

http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/images/thumb/9/92/Abacus3.jpg/400px-Abacus3.jpg

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Lee ran 4.41 at the combine, Speed was really never an issue for him. His problem was largely he lacked awareness and ball skills.

sharpe1027
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Lee is fast. It is difficult to know what all his problems are when he hasn't played more than a handful of snaps. :)

3irty1
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
A TT offensive lineman:
above all else can move well. The number one thing he seems to look for is feet. They can be fat guys but they can't have fat guy feet. A lot of his OL were TE's at one point. The next most important things seem to be size and versatility. Many of Ted's lineman can play multiple positions. The next most important thing I'd say is mean-streak. Ted likes a certain attitude out there. He doesn't seem to put a premium on polished use of hands or strength. Rather he seems to be cool with getting good athletes and coaching them into technicians. I'd say the textbook TT offensive lineman looks a lot like TJ Lang.

A TT Quarterback:
Is already a star. Outside of Ingle Martin, Ted has chosen guys who's name you already know. Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn, and even Harrell were stars of prolific programs in college with impressive resumes while none were physical monsters as prospects. Ted may well look for a QB in this draft and the list of guys who fit this description will be short.

A TT Linebacker:
can also move. Ted's defenders in general are typically elite athletes and he seems to put a big emphasis on the numbers. You don't have to have straight line speed necessarily but his guys typically have a ss around 4.20 and a 3-cone around 7 both of which are pretty darn selective. If you are going to rush the passer TT grabs guys who have ELITE 10 yard splits and a vertical of at least 35. The perfect TT outside linebacker probably looks about like Jeremy Thompson but Clay, Brad Jones, and Zombo all fit this mold as well.

A TT DT/DE:
Is fucking STRONG. Harrell and Neal are both weight room freaks but are characterized by insane functional strength as well. Kind of like Suh, they play stronger than they are. Both of his high picks fit this mold. John Jolly, and Ryan Pickett were characterized by gigantic size great hustle, and fantastic instincts. Guys who didn't fit this mold but were instead more of a giant linebacker mold, Cory Williams and Cullen Jenkins are both gone. The perfect TT DE prospect probably looks a lot like Justin Harrell. Elite size and strength, the ability to square up and stuff the run, not a great pass rusher and never will be but definitely a handful. This kind of player who relies on brute strength doesn't seem to ever take plays off or wear down in the 4th quarter and are effective into their mid 30's compared to those that rely on quickness. Unless of course they are glass dolls like Harrell and Neal.

Scott Campbell
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Ted Thompson isn't remaking the wheel. He's just like any solid GM in any solid company or organization.

Just like any solid GM's that have a Lombardi trophy, 2 Executive of the Year awards, and followed up a HOF QB by drafting an MVP QB.

Yeah, real "solid".

Let go of your hate already.

Smidgeon
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
A TT offensive lineman:
above all else can move well. The number one thing he seems to look for is feet. They can be fat guys but they can't have fat guy feet. A lot of his OL were TE's at one point. The next most important things seem to be size and versatility. Many of Ted's lineman can play multiple positions. The next most important thing I'd say is mean-streak. Ted likes a certain attitude out there. He doesn't seem to put a premium on polished use of hands or strength. Rather he seems to be cool with getting good athletes and coaching them into technicians. I'd say the textbook TT offensive lineman looks a lot like TJ Lang.

A TT Quarterback:
Is already a star. Outside of Ingle Martin, Ted has chosen guys who's name you already know. Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn, and even Harrell were stars of prolific programs in college with impressive resumes while none were physical monsters as prospects. Ted may well look for a QB in this draft and the list of guys who fit this description will be short.

A TT Linebacker:
can also move. Ted's defenders in general are typically elite athletes and he seems to put a big emphasis on the numbers. You don't have to have straight line speed necessarily but his guys typically have a ss around 4.20 and a 3-cone around 7 both of which are pretty darn selective. If you are going to rush the passer TT grabs guys who have ELITE 10 yard splits and a vertical of at least 35. The perfect TT outside linebacker probably looks about like Jeremy Thompson but Clay, Brad Jones, and Zombo all fit this mold as well.

A TT DT/DE:
Is fucking STRONG. Harrell and Neal are both weight room freaks but are characterized by insane functional strength as well. Kind of like Suh, they play stronger than they are. Both of his high picks fit this mold. John Jolly, and Ryan Pickett were characterized by gigantic size great hustle, and fantastic instincts. Guys who didn't fit this mold but were instead more of a giant linebacker mold, Cory Williams and Cullen Jenkins are both gone. The perfect TT DE prospect probably looks a lot like Justin Harrell. Elite size and strength, the ability to square up and stuff the run, not a great pass rusher and never will be but definitely a handful. This kind of player who relies on brute strength doesn't seem to ever take plays off or wear down in the 4th quarter and are effective into their mid 30's compared to those that rely on quickness. Unless of course they are glass dolls like Harrell and Neal.

Great post. Great insight. Thank you.

I also added rep. I'm trying to get that going again. :mrgreen:

sharpe1027
04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Great post. Great insight. Thank you.

I also added rep. I'm trying to get that going again. :mrgreen:

I repped you for repping 3irty1.

MadScientist
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
TT generally reserves private workouts for players he doesn't intend to draft, but may sign after the draft.

Related, is there a list of who the Packers have worked out this year? The only ones I've found are Drew Nowak and Drew Vanderlin.

sharpe1027
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
TT generally reserves private workouts for players he doesn't intend to draft, but may sign after the draft.

Related, is there a list of who the Packers have worked out this year? The only ones I've found are Drew Nowak and Drew Vanderlin.

Hmm, is the first name "Drew" yet another trend?

Patler
04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
You have all missed the obvious. TT is fascinated by the middle initial "J"

D.J. Williams
D.J. Smith
C.J. Wilson
B.J. Raji
T.J. Lang
A.J. Hawk

If he drafts a player known by his first two initials, the middle initial is a "J".
He strayed in UDRFA signing M.D. Jennings, but draftees will likely have a "J".

sharpe1027
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I guess that means we should expect A.J. Jenkins in the 2nd.

Joemailman
04-13-2012, 04:45 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

Green Bay Packers

*Kent State center Chris Anzevino (3/?).

Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (?/?).

Delaware guard/center Gino Gradkowski (4/?).

+Western Michigan defensive tackle Drew Nowak (4/12).

Cincinnati tight end Adrien Robinson (?/?).

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner (?/?).

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

Green Bay Packers

*Kent State center Chris Anzevino (3/?).

Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (?/?).

Delaware guard/center Gino Gradkowski (4/?).

+Western Michigan defensive tackle Drew Nowak (4/12).

Cincinnati tight end Adrien Robinson (?/?).

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner (?/?).

They missed at least one really interesting one that I know of.

Patler
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
They missed at least one really interesting one that I know of.

Deleted

Never mind, I can't read, apparently!

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Deleted

Never mind, I can't read, apparently!

(It was Brandon Hardin, Oregon State CB/FS).

woodbuck27
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
A TT offensive lineman:

A TT Quarterback:

A TT Linebacker:

A TT DT/DE:

IMO that's sound analysis. Good post.

** I'm now considering the Nick Collins issue and the fact we know that TT and MM are not in favor of him in the Green abd Gold again.The scenario we've been learning about is that it's the Packers intention to move CB Charles Woodson to the Safety spot and QB our 3-4 defensive schemes. I still believe that TT will look for a quality safety as Charles Woodson is getting up there in years.

It seems like 'a lot downhill' after Mark Barron goes off the board to possibly the Seahawks, more likely the Cowboys or Jets.

Question 1. Anyone?

Is there anybody after SS Mark Barron that you like for us at the SAFETY position?

** I see TT's top priorities in this draft as Safety/CB (or DB) , and OLB and DE.

Unless TT goes BPA (Defense) at #28 he might desire to trade down into the top of round two. I cannot see a clear choice as a trading partner. If he cannot trade down with pick#28 then he's pretty much commited to BPA @ #28. That should secure him an OLB or a DE ifn TT thinks BPA 'Defense' .

Maybe? ... TT may reach somewhat?

Question 2.

is this a reach you would make at Pick #28?

Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

** Ted thompson's second round pick at #59 (again) looks like a natural BPA pick. The prospect that shouts at me is:

*** Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut.

Question 3:

Do you like this *** prospect in terms of athletic fit and character?

It's obvious to me that alot of this stuff that we can gleen off of the internet is next to useless in terms of a MOCK and accuracy in tems of what our GM will do April 26-28,2012. Alot of it is just hype and allows for people to be employed and repeat themselves over and over.Thus what's left:

Our scouting team and Ted Thompson.

GO Ted Thompson.

woodbuck27
04-14-2012, 12:02 PM

D.J. Williams
D.J. Smith
C.J. Wilson
B.J. Raji
T.J. Lang
A.J. Hawk

If he drafts a player known by his first two initials, the middle initial is a "J".

Darn Patler ! My MOCK needs work...... again.

pbmax
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Unless I have missed something, Charles Woodson is not moving to safety. Outside of being there is corner Oakie (which was not used much last year), he is not going there. Woodson, McCarthy and Capers have all said they prefer him at CB.

Woodbuck, have you seen this reported anywhere?

Cheesehead Craig
04-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Unless I have missed something, Charles Woodson is not moving to safety. Outside of being there is corner Oakie (which was not used much last year), he is not going there. Woodson, McCarthy and Capers have all said they prefer him at CB.

I haven't seen anything outside of speculation by reporters.

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Yes I read that just yesterday. I read that 'in fact' the Packers intend on maintaining Charles Woodson at CB. That contradicted stuff I'd read before.

If that's the case this makes a move by TT in the draft for a solid Safety even more likely. I'm including in my analysis 'the FACT' that Nick Collins will never play another snap with the Packers.

I saw a MOCK this morning from 'a solid source' that has Safety Mark Barron falling all the way past 'the Boys' and 'the Jets' to the Pat's at #27.

After reading that MOCK and even imagining it might be true.

I began to reconceive my MOCK draft. That MOCK would feature TT moving ahead of New England to steal S Mark Barron in Round One. That trade up would certainly cost TT his 4th Rd. pick.

With two more compensatory picks he's cool in the fourth round.

If TT can pick to look after the safety spot and take the heat off of Clay Matthews and BJ Raji by getting some improved pass rush (he's alreadty added Anthony Hargrove) and he's needs to ensure some rest for our NT.

Ted Thompson will have gone a long ways towords resoring our 3-4 scheme. If he does that we will see CB Charles Woodson be able to concentrate on playing CB and not all the time guessing what to do. That translates to the rest of our defensive back field as well (see Tramone Williams) and we'll enjoy a much improved more efficient Packer 'D' then the disaster we saw begin with the loss of Nick Collins last season.

I believe it began at Safety and Ted Thompson may well draft to fix it 'as a first move this Draft' at Safety.

Mark Barron. Can TT realistically draft this player?

If there's no sudden change my MOCK will demonstrate a scenario that features picking S Mark Barron.

run pMc
04-20-2012, 11:32 AM
12. (?) Ted likes players who fare well at "all-star games" like the Senior Bowl.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Interesting read.

How to build NFL champion franchise in six easy steps (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-16/nfl-draft-2012-how-to-build-trades-free-agents)

Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson has also used the draft as his primary tool for building a championship team. The Packers team that won Super Bowl XLV was built largely with Thompson picks — Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Nick Collins, A.J. Hawk, Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby, James Starks, Josh Sitton, B.J. Raji and Bryan Bulaga.

— Best available: Quarterbacks | Running backs | Wide receivers | Tight ends

But here's the rub—and the most gut-wrenching part for those in charge of personnel: Luck plays a definite part in the process. Not Andrew Luck, but luck as in good fortune.

"Building a team is an imperfect process,'' says Thompson, recognized as one of the best at doing it. "We believe that drafting and developing is the best way to go, particularly in a salary cap-oriented system. However, in the right situations, free agency can really help you. Trades help. Bottom line is, no matter how you do it, sometimes you've got to get lucky."

Thompson isn't just being modest. He's being honest. Every offseason, we think we know which teams improved and which ones didn't. We declare who won big during free agency. We evaluate the draft and listen to experts grade how each team did.

Then the season starts, and we are always surprised.

The Philadelphia Eagles loaded up on big-name talent during free agency in 2011, bringing in Nnamdi Asomugha, Jason Babin, Cullen Jenkins and Vince Young, among others. Then the team flopped, finishing 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

Conversely, Reese was roasted last summer. The Giants signed no big-name free agents, made no blockbuster trades. They lost Steve Smith and Kevin Boss during free agency, while the Eagles were making headlines daily.

Yet when the season ended, the Giants were Super Bowl champs.

It's the same story almost every year--yet fans don't seem to get it through their thick skulls.
:)

mraynrand
04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
It's the same story almost every year--yet fans don't seem to get it through their thick skulls.
:)

We're kinda stupid that way! :lol:

DonHutson
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
As far as first round picks go, you can add the following:

6 of 7 were from a power conference (2 each from Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC) and 7 of 7 were from BCS schools.

In addition to no RB's or WR's, also no DB's, or TE's. 4 of 7 were lineman. Ted's fall back seems to be that there's only so many really big people on the planet, and very few of them are athletic - so if you have a chance to take an athletic big man, you do. I seem to recall that being the logic for Raji over Crabtree and Sherrod over anyone else.

7 of 7 had prototype measurables.

I believe 6 of 7 were highly productive for multiple years in college. I only recall Matthews being a one year starter - could be wrong.

6 of 7 were squeaky clean characters (I recall Raji failing a drug test once at BC). Most have good leadership skills or at least seem to love football (Harrell? Sherrod - jury's out).

Based on all that, guys to keep an eye on would be Upshaw, Worthy, and Konz.

Smidgeon
04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
As far as first round picks go, you can add the following:

6 of 7 were from a power conference (2 each from Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC) and 7 of 7 were from BCS schools.

In addition to no RB's or WR's, also no DB's, or TE's. 4 of 7 were lineman. Ted's fall back seems to be that there's only so many really big people on the planet, and very few of them are athletic - so if you have a chance to take an athletic big man, you do. I seem to recall that being the logic for Raji over Crabtree and Sherrod over anyone else.

7 of 7 had prototype measurables.

I believe 6 of 7 were highly productive for multiple years in college. I only recall Matthews being a one year starter - could be wrong.

6 of 7 were squeaky clean characters (I recall Raji failing a drug test once at BC). Most have good leadership skills or at least seem to love football (Harrell? Sherrod - jury's out).

Based on all that, guys to keep an eye on would be Upshaw, Worthy, and Konz.

AKA, Thompson wants players in the 1st who got it done against good competition in college. Summed up?

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 05:57 AM
"We feel like our roster is balanced enough overall," Green Bay Packers (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1144280-green-bay-packers-2012-nfl-schedule-game-by-game-predictions-info-and-analysis) general manager Ted Thompson said. "We don't feel we have to target a particular position in the draft. That's not what we do, and we won't do it this year." Ted Thompson

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/collins-situation-wont-affect-packers-draft-thompson-says-tu52ukp-148206495.html

GO TED Thompson ! GO PACK GO !

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/04%2F25%2F12_Help_for_the_needy%3F/611?feed=2

Interesting read. Nothing earth shattering, but I think people don't get the part in bold. If you have four guys you like, why not trade down? Even if people think the roster is loaded. The converse would be true. If his pick is three away and he has one guy with a high grade, that's when you trade up to get that player. Generally, you'll have a guy worthy of drafting and you'll go ahead and make that pick. It's not that complicated. What's complicated is evaluating the players properly. For the most part, Thompson and his scouts have done a good job.

At that 2009 pre-draft press conference, Thompson was asked how his board worked, and he actually explained it – stepping away from the microphone and walking to the front wall of the Lambeau Field media auditorium (making his explanation inaudible for broadcast media) to take reporters through it.

Thompson pointed to the top of the wall and explained, “We have all the positions across a long wall (at the top), and we always start with the receivers (first) over here, and then it goes tight ends, tackles, guards, centers, quarterbacks, running backs, fullbacks, defensive ends, defensive tackles and so forth … You don't need me to go through the whole thing.

“And then we have … it would be horizontal, right? Horizontal lines going like this, and the very top horizontal line, anything above that would be first-round players, second-round players, third-round players, fourth-round players. And so the board is going to (have) guys at each position and there's a certain number of players in a lot of the rounds at those positions, and some rounds there may be a blank where there's no players in that particular round.

“And when you go through the draft, in a perfect world, if you've done your job properly, you sit there and you just let it come to you, and if it's your pick in the first round, you look up there and if you've got two guys, then you say. ‘OK, there's the two guys we would take at this pick, which one do you want to take? Or if there are four guys, and then somebody calls and wants to move two spots up to your spot, then you think, ‘Well, you know, we've got four guys we'd like to have, we can trade back and we know we're going to get one of two (left).’ That's kind of the way it works.”

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/04%2F25%2F12_Help_for_the_needy%3F/611?feed=2

Interesting read. Nothing earth shattering, but I think people don't get the part in bold. If you have four guys you like, why not trade down? Even if people think the roster is loaded. The converse would be true. If his pick is three away and he has one guy with a high grade, that's when you trade up to get that player. Generally, you'll have a guy worthy of drafting and you'll go ahead and make that pick. It's not that complicated. What's complicated is evaluating the players properly. For the most part, Thompson and his scouts have done a good job.

At that 2009 pre-draft press conference, Thompson was asked how his board worked, and he actually explained it – stepping away from the microphone and walking to the front wall of the Lambeau Field media auditorium (making his explanation inaudible for broadcast media) to take reporters through it.

Thompson pointed to the top of the wall and explained, “We have all the positions across a long wall (at the top), and we always start with the receivers (first) over here, and then it goes tight ends, tackles, guards, centers, quarterbacks, running backs, fullbacks, defensive ends, defensive tackles and so forth … You don't need me to go through the whole thing.

“And then we have … it would be horizontal, right? Horizontal lines going like this, and the very top horizontal line, anything above that would be first-round players, second-round players, third-round players, fourth-round players. And so the board is going to (have) guys at each position and there's a certain number of players in a lot of the rounds at those positions, and some rounds there may be a blank where there's no players in that particular round.

“And when you go through the draft, in a perfect world, if you've done your job properly, you sit there and you just let it come to you, and if it's your pick in the first round, you look up there and if you've got two guys, then you say. ‘OK, there's the two guys we would take at this pick, which one do you want to take? Or if there are four guys, and then somebody calls and wants to move two spots up to your spot, then you think, ‘Well, you know, we've got four guys we'd like to have, we can trade back and we know we're going to get one of two (left).’ That's kind of the way it works.”

So what does all this have to do with this year’s draft?

As he prepares for preside over his eighth draft as the Packers’ GM, never has Thompson’s team had such obvious needs. Even in 2005 and 2006, when the cupboards were mostly bare after coach/GM Mike Sherman’s less-than-stellar drafts, the needs weren’t as clear-cut as they are this year.

While Thompson annually refuses to acknowledge areas of need on his roster, we don’t need him to. They are a pass-rushing outside linebacker to pair with Clay Matthews, a pass-rushing defensive lineman, a safety to replace just-released three-time Pro Bowler Nick Collins, a cornerback, a backup quarterback to replace Matt Flynn and a guard/center prospect to be mentored by Jeff Saturday.

With so many roster holes despite their gaudy 15-1 regular-season record, Thompson should be able to marry the best player available on his board – which, in truth, is something of a misnomer – with one of his team’s myriad of needs.

So how does need factor into Thompson’s picks?

“Need factors in if you have what you consider, the way they're up on the board, identical players at Position A, Position B, and you feel you have a more pressing need right at this moment for Position B,” Thompson explained. “But if there's a difference in those players, if Position A is truly a better player, then we feel like you have to take Position A. Because a draft is not a let's-get-ready-for-minicamp (thing); a draft is an investment in a player that's going to be here for a number of years. And when you don't take the best player, it'll just come back and bite you every time.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2012, 07:39 AM
He doesn't draft bandaids.

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
He doesn't draft for tomorrow either. It's so very rare that a rookie can come in and make any kind of impact (except for running backs). You might get 6 guys in the whole draft who make a difference their rookie year. The chances of you getting one of them is pretty slim. It usually takes 2 to 3 years for guys to get into form. Look at how horrible Bryan Bulaga played his rookie year and the vast improvement he made his sophmore season. Now he's a rock on the right side. In the past 5 years, the only guy we've had to start off great was Clay Mathews. He was one of what, 3 rookies that made an impact that year? So yeah, "We better just hope that Ted can draft the defensive rookie of the year. That's what we have to hope for. That's not asking for too much is it?" - JH (said with sarcasm).

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I disagree Smeefers, you do draft a guy in the first round that is going to be able to contribute from training camp to the end of the season, for the most part Thompson drafts guys that can come into camp competing for position, the one exception was Rodgers. look at his first round picks and a majority of them were starting at some point in the season. Hawk started right away, Raji was injured and then got into the starting line up mid season, Mathews started about 3 games in, Bulaga was a starter after Tausch went down, and he competed for the left guard position in camp, I would call his play horrible by any means his rookie year, I thought he played pretty damn well considering the pass rushers in the NFC North.

Did not start a game their rookie years
Rodgers
Sherrod
Nelson(2nd round pick)
Harrell

Were full time starters at the end of the year
Hawk
Raji
Mathews
Bulaga

I don't think Thompson drafts a player because they are going to be really good in 3 years, he drafts them to compete for a starting position during their rookie years, and to do that he does place a demand on need. He doesn't just go best player available. I see two first round picks were he did that, and Harrell could have been in the rotation if he wasn't such a turd.

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Solid points, and I hate to do this, but I'm going to use your own argument against you. Raji and Hawk started right away, being top 10 picks. That I agree with you on. Mathews was considered a top 10 pick by Thompson, that's why TT jumped up from the 2nd round to get him. When You drop farther down into the draft though - Bulaga, Sherrod, Nelson, Rodgers - That's when you see guys needing development. I stand by the basis of my argument. Of the 8 guys you mentioned, only two of them made a solid positive impact right away, Mathews and Hawk. So, it is rare for a rookie to make an immidiate impact. You don't draft for tomorrow, you draft for a year or two down the line.

I do agree that he places a demand on need. We need an OLB and a DE, I would be surprised if we didn't pick one up in the draft because of how stacked they are in the draft. I also wouldn't be surprised if they get significant playing time this year. I just don't think they will make a significant impact. They may be better than the guys we got, but by no means are they going to be game changers. Even Mathews rookie year, arguably the best pick out of the bunch, he was still only "good." He wasn't the beast he's turned out to be. He was a solid starter, but last year he was one of the best players in the league at his position. It takes time for guys to get good, unless of course you think we can get a Clay Mathews every year.

Oh, and if it wasn't for injuries, I think Harrell would have been an absolute beast. Dude was incredible in college.

To support my statement that Bulaga had a poor rookie year per PFF:
Bryan Bulaga, T (23rd overall pick in 2010): Didn’t have the best of rookie years individually, but bounced back to look like one of the league’s best right tackles in his sophomore season. Went from a -24.1 grade in 2010, to +14.6 in 2011.

Patler
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM

D.J. Williams
D.J. Smith
C.J. Wilson
B.J. Raji
T.J. Lang
A.J. Hawk

Round 7, B.J. Coleman.
I rest my case.

Cheesehead Craig
04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Round 7, B.J. Coleman.
I rest my case.

I think we're going to have to change your moniker to BJ Rat.

pbmax
04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
He failed to fill the EJ need though.

Joemailman
04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
What were M.D. Jennings' parents thinking?

MJZiggy
04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm an M. J. TT missed on me entirely.

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm an M. J. TT missed on me entirely.

He didn't like your measurables

Upnorth
04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
MJ please provide us with your measurable for comparison.

MadtownPacker
04-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Round 7, B.J. Coleman.
I rest my case.Haha, that some cool shit there.