PDA

View Full Version : Shea McClellin

red
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
this is a guy that is starting to pop up in the first round of a few mock drafts i've seen lately. he sounds like a perfect TT draft pick

from draft ace http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/03/shea-mcclellin-scouting-report/

Shea McClellin OLB Boise State #92
http://draftace.com/players2012/shea_mcclellin.jpg Ht: 6’3″ Wt: 260

Strengths: Prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. High energy, high effort player. Experience lining up at end and linebacker. Reliable wrap-up tackler. Impressive agility for a guy his size. Has the speed to make plays in pursuit. Strong pass rusher off the edge; has the speed to blow past slower offensive tackles, especially when lining up with his hand off the ground. Does a nice job fighting through traffic when blitzing inside. Strong enough to shed blocks fairly consistently. Weaknesses

: Inconsistent explosion of the snap; seems to guess at the snap count a lot, occasionally explodes out of his stance but other times will be the step behind the rest of the linemen. Overaggressive in pursuit; gives a great effort, but often inefficient with the angles he takes which results in missed opportunities. Needs to do a better job keeping his eyes on the quarterback when blitzes; often misses opportunities due to his inability to adjust. Missed time with a leg injury as a freshman. Comments

: McClellin may not be a great fit for every defense, but he’s a perfect fit at outside linebacker a 3-4 system. At this stage of his career, he’s overaggressive and inconsistent but he possesses all the physical tools necessary to develop into a quality starter.

Joemailman
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23850-MCCLELIN...INFO Already have a McClellin thread, but what the heck! :wink:

I'm starting to wonder if TT can trade down and still get him in the 2nd. Pats pick at 31 and he's be a good fit for them. I'd be okay with him being TT's pick at 28, but people shouldn't expect him to be Clay 2.0

Brandon494
04-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I'd be pissed if we drafted this guy with our first pick, sorry but he didn't do much in college playing against shitty schools. I'm hoping Upshaw from Alabama drops down to us.

Patler
04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd be pissed if we drafted this guy with our first pick, sorry but he didn't do much in college playing against shitty schools. I'm hoping Upshaw from Alabama drops down to us.

I felt that way too, earlier. Recently, I'm not so sure about Upshaw. An awful lot of luke-warm comments from his pro-day, including that he was significantly over his expected weight, and then ran poorly. I'm afraid he might wind up being one of those great college players who just doesn't have a position in the pros.

Many years there are a few guys I hope are available when the Packers pick, even if they don't take one. At least they were options. Right now there aren't any for me in this draft.

red
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23850-MCCLELIN...INFO Already have a McClellin thread, but what the heck! :wink:

of course that no talent assclown already started a thread about him

hell for all i know, that's where i first heard of the guy

Farley Face
04-13-2012, 06:32 PM
this is a guy that is starting to pop up in the first round of a few mock drafts i've seen lately. he sounds like a perfect TT draft pick

from draft ace http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/03/shea-mcclellin-scouting-report/

Shea McClellin OLB Boise State #92
http://draftace.com/players2012/shea_mcclellin.jpg Ht: 6’3″ Wt: 260

Strengths: Prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker. High energy, high effort player. Experience lining up at end and linebacker. Reliable wrap-up tackler. Impressive agility for a guy his size. Has the speed to make plays in pursuit. Strong pass rusher off the edge; has the speed to blow past slower offensive tackles, especially when lining up with his hand off the ground. Does a nice job fighting through traffic when blitzing inside. Strong enough to shed blocks fairly consistently. Weaknesses

: Inconsistent explosion of the snap; seems to guess at the snap count a lot, occasionally explodes out of his stance but other times will be the step behind the rest of the linemen. Overaggressive in pursuit; gives a great effort, but often inefficient with the angles he takes which results in missed opportunities. Needs to do a better job keeping his eyes on the quarterback when blitzes; often misses opportunities due to his inability to adjust. Missed time with a leg injury as a freshman. Comments

: McClellin may not be a great fit for every defense, but he’s a perfect fit at outside linebacker a 3-4 system. At this stage of his career, he’s overaggressive and inconsistent but he possesses all the physical tools necessary to develop into a quality starter.

McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
Weight 260 263
40 4.63 4.65
Bench 19 30
Vertical 31.5 30.5
Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
3-Cone 7.07 7.11
Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYD

16 45 31 14 6.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 8 0

Would you trade #28 for Reed? TT passed on him at 32 last year. On the hoof they appear to be similar athletes. On film McClellin looks more comfortable in space and in pass drops. I'd prefer to see him in the 35-45 range but wouldn't be too big a reach at 28. He'd fill a need but at 28 I don't know if he'd be BPA.

Farley Face
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
Weight 260 263
40 4.63 4.65
Bench 19 30
Vertical 31.5 30.5
Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
3-Cone 7.07 7.11
Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

Would you trade #28 for Reed? TT passed on him at 32 last year. On the hoof they appear to be similar athletes. On film McClellin looks more comfortable in space and in pass drops. I'd prefer to see him in the 35-45 range but wouldn't be too big a reach at 28. He'd fill a need but at 28 I don't know if he'd be BPA.

Sorry the spacing of my post is all funky.

Smidgeon
04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
Weight 260 263
40 4.63 4.65
Bench 19 30
Vertical 31.5 30.5
Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
3-Cone 7.07 7.11
Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

16 45 31 14 6.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 8

Fixed

Patler
04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Fixed

How do you do that?
I need to know how to post stats.

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I actually think McClellin is a better version of Brooks Reed. I wouldn't be super-pumped if we took him at #28, but I wouldn't be disappointed either. It's the sort of safe/productive pick that would be a good option at the other OLB spot, since we've already got "that guy" at the other OLB spot.

The thing to keep in mind about McClellin is that they played him *everywhere* at Boise: DT, DE, OLB, ILB and he didn't really have the time to master any specific craft like he'll be able to in the NFL, and I think he's a really good fit with KG coaching him up.

Really the only deficient area of his game can be pinned to the fact that Boise really doesn't have a very good weight-training program, and it shows on pretty much all of their guys.

ND72
04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Friend of mine lives in Houson....said tonight on his ride home on their sports show, Houston officials discussed GB has talked to the, about swapping picks to ensure New England doesn't take Shea ahead of them. IF true, Thompson would be pissed to know word was leaked.

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Friend of mine lives in Houson....said tonight on his ride home on their sports show, Houston officials discussed GB has talked to the, about swapping picks to ensure New England doesn't take Shea ahead of them. IF true, Thompson would be pissed to know word was leaked.

If this is true, the points chart suggests the trade would be something like

#28 (660) + #123 (49) for #26 (700) with maybe 9 points of late round picks thrown in to make the math work out (Green Bay and Houston swap picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th or something.)

That would be fine, since we've got three picks in the fourth round anyway.

pittstang5
04-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Ah, Draft time! This is where zeros can be heros in a matter of weeks, days, sometimes even as fast as minutes.

Gotta love when a player comes from just about nowhere and sky rockets up the draft boards.

I'll admit, I didn't have McClellin on my radar two weeks ago, but now, I'll be upset if we don't get this guy. I don't care, nor do I really have any clue as to where he will go in the draft, but I want this guy in Green and Gold.

Ah, Draft time!

channtheman
04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
How do you do that?

In the advanced reply the "#" button is the 3rd from the right just above the text box. For some reason when you highlight the numbers and put the "code" tags around the numbers, they format better.

So where this crappy and hard to read

ht lbs speed
5'3" 156 4.6

If you wrap it in the code tags, it is a lot easier to read.

ht lbs speed
5'3" 156 4.6

Brandon494
04-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Well that pretty much guarantees that we will not be picking this guy, you think Ted is going to let info like that get out.

RashanGary
04-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I started watching his games. At first, I didn't love him. He doesn't explode off the screen or anything. The more I watched though, the more I liked him.

He's a very, very smart player. He does a great job setting the edge, forcing runners inside, and he does it without getting tied up. Once the runner commits back inside, McClellin has a way about his game where the blocker just can't get their hands on him and McClellin turns it inside to make big play after big play in the run game. As a pass rusher, he's more clever than purely dominant, but boy oh boy is he clever. On 3rd down, the guys blocking him look lost. He gets the blocking scheme to commit, then pulls some kind of trick on them. His stunts and delays are a thing of beauty.

I'm a big fan of how well he stays home, yet how well he makes plays while doing it.

I put McClellin over Upshaw because he's a far more natural player. He hides his intentions really well, plays within the defense really well, handles blockers really well, takes great angles. . . . He'd be a beautiful fit in our defense. He's the type of player who can confuse the shit out of the opposition. He'll be a real reliable 1st and 2nd down player and a friggin nightmare on 3rd down. Blockers are just lost with this guy.

He'll get engulfed at times by stud NFL OT's, all OLBs do, but he can hunker down and whether or not he can beat that blocker to make that many big plays in the run game, he always has his edge locked down before he does anything else and he'll funnel it inside.

Put me in the McClellin camp. He's sneaky good. Jennings had that sneaky good way about him. I think McClellin does too. Some guys just know what they're doing and how to hide what they're doing from the guy across from them.

He looks a lot like a Patriot type of defender to me. He'd look great in Green and Yellow too.

Fuckin stud. That's my opinion.

Bretsky
04-13-2012, 10:56 PM
of course that no talent assclown already started a thread about him

hell for all i know, that's where i first heard of the guy

Frickin wannabe..........lol......just consider me your Hoody Genius :))

of course now that you and I endorse the same player we are absolutely SCREWED

RashanGary
04-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Call me old fashioned though, but I'd prefer a stud DE over a stud OLB any day of the week. Problem is, the stud DL go like hot cakes in the top 15 picks. You can nab a stud OLB in the end of the first round.

Bretsky
04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
How many stud DE's are their in the NFL ? You honestly can't count too many. The miss ratio is incredibly high in the draft.

Lots of stud OLB's though and one will come between pick 28 and 40. You might get the 6th or 7th DL or the 2nd best OLB.

In Green Bay's Defense I don't think the DE is a shining star. The OLB's can be though.

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Well that pretty much guarantees that we will not be picking this guy, you think Ted is going to let info like that get out.

It's also possible that this is just "reasonable speculation" not based on a leak or anything, and since this trade will be easy to consummate based on the math (the difference between #28 and #26 is GB's fourth round pick less nine points) that if it makes sense, then Ted can pull the trigger.

I don't think this sort of thing will happen before the draft, since it's entirely possible there are three players Ted loves on the board at #26, so he'll let Houston take one, New England take the other, and whichever third player is there he still loves, but it wouldn't be surprising if they discussed it.

Lurker64
04-13-2012, 11:39 PM
How many stud DE's are their in the NFL ?

If you're talking about 5-technique defensive ends playing in the 3-4 defense, I would say there are two: Justin Smith and J.J. Watt, with Calais Campbell possibly getting there in a year or two. Being a DE in a 3-4 and making an impact in addition to executing your assigned responsibilities is pretty tough.

Bretsky
04-13-2012, 11:41 PM
If you're talking about 5-technique defensive ends playing in the 3-4 defense, I would say there are two: Justin Smith and J.J. Watt, with Calais Campbell possibly getting there in a year or two. Being a DE in a 3-4 and making an impact in addition to executing your assigned responsibilities is pretty tough.

Completely agree; that's why if that OLB is there you grab him and fill the DE the next two rounds

RashanGary
04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Odds are, the OLB will be the better player at this point in the draft. I know everyone talks about how much DE's don't matter in this defense, but boy, I tend to disagree with that. Maybe on 3rd down they're not as big of a deal, but on 1st and 2nd. . . . star DL get you to 3rd and long. Star OLB's finish it off. And it's not like star DL can't get after the passer too, especially on 3rd down when they can pin their ears back and shoot a gap.

To me, a great OLB makes splash plays throughout a game. A star DL consistently disrupts the offense. Star DL are so rare. You have to take them first. Problem is, everyone else probably already did. It's a rule in the NFL, you take the big guys when you can. I don't care what defense you play, if you have a monster on your DL, whether it be nose, 3-tech, 5 tech or 6/7. . . it means more than an OLB.

Put Suh as our DE and I'll bet we're better off than plugging a star OLB into our defense.

The great ones hold their gap responsibility and once they read pass, they can shove the OL straight back into the QB's lap or shed the block and make a play. The great ones are just more man than the guy across from them. On 1st down, the DL mean more. On 2nd down, the DL mean more, and on 3rd down, if that same DL can get after it, he can mean just as much as the OLB.

DL play seems greatly underappreciated here IM humble O. It's like every down is 3rd down in our minds and every DL is incapable of destroying a QB on 3rd down.

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree that a star 5-tech is a big deal, the thing is? You're not going to find one of those ready-made at #28. Justin Smith went 4th overall, J.J. Watt went 11th overall, Tyson Jackson who was supposed to be that guy (but isn't, at least not yet) went #3rd overall. You can bring one along over time, Calais Campbell is becoming elite-ish, but this is his fifth year in the league. If you want to look at what a 5-tech we draft this year would do for the defense, look at Cameron Heyward in Pittsburgh or Wilkerson in New York from last year (and that was a better 5-tech class at the top than this is.)

Even if we were to land an elite 5-tech prospect this year (which is pretty much limited to Cox or Brockers) you're not going to get that high end play from them this year, and I don't know about you, but I think we can win the Super Bowl this year if things break right. I think a solid OLB who can play right away does more to help the defense on the short term, and you can grow 5-techs with time and effort. So I would personally prefer to take a safe, ready OLB with upside in the first (Branch or McClellin) then throw a hundred thousand picks at 5-tech picks later in the draft (Give me Wolfe in the third, Akiem Hicks in the Fourth, and Markus Kuhn in the 7th) hoping to grow a Brett Keisel type prospect.

RashanGary
04-14-2012, 12:10 AM
As far as the DL that are being considered at our spot, unless there is some guy who's off the radar that I haven't seen, I watched those guys play and they look like a bunch of slugs.

I'm with you, Lurker. We're going to have projects and junk to choose from. OLB is clearly the more likely position where we can make an impact.

But take nothing away from those DL. The monsters inside are the most important pieces you can get, bar none. You just aren't going to get them without a high pick or some serious friggin luck. Even with the high pick, you need some serious luck. They're just rare. That's all there is to it.

Smidgeon
04-14-2012, 12:27 AM
How big is McClellin? As far as I was aware, I thought the other OLB needed to be the big, dominant run-stuffer who didn't need to be quite as agile as Clay.

Smidgeon
04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
How do you do that?

I edited the information in notepad to include tabs, then pasted in between [code] brackets.

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 12:32 AM
FWIW, I do think that Akiem Hicks could become a monster DE for us, with some seasoning. If you look at the physical tools he's better than Brockers (he certainly was when they were both at LSU) it's just that he had to play in Canada since he was ruled ineligible due to recruiting violations. Give the kid a year or two and some good coaching and you've got a good one on your hands.

Brockers is 6050 322 with 35" arms, 19 bench reps, 5.36 40, jumped 30" and 98"
Hicks is 6045 318 with 35 1/8" arms, 26 reps, 5.23 40, jumped 31 1/2" and 108" .

One of those two guys is going to go in the top 20 on the basis of mediocre tape and upside. It's not the Canadian.

Bretsky
04-14-2012, 12:37 AM
I agree that a star 5-tech is a big deal, the thing is? You're not going to find one of those ready-made at #28. Justin Smith went 4th overall, J.J. Watt went 11th overall, Tyson Jackson who was supposed to be that guy (but isn't, at least not yet) went #3rd overall. You can bring one along over time, Calais Campbell is becoming elite-ish, but this is his fifth year in the league. If you want to look at what a 5-tech we draft this year would do for the defense, look at Cameron Heyward in Pittsburgh or Wilkerson in New York from last year (and that was a better 5-tech class at the top than this is.)

Even if we were to land an elite 5-tech prospect this year (which is pretty much limited to Cox or Brockers) you're not going to get that high end play from them this year, and I don't know about you, but I think we can win the Super Bowl this year if things break right. I think a solid OLB who can play right away does more to help the defense on the short term, and you can grow 5-techs with time and effort. So I would personally prefer to take a safe, ready OLB with upside in the first (Branch or McClellin) then throw a hundred thousand picks at 5-tech picks later in the draft (Give me Wolfe in the third, Akiem Hicks in the Fourth, and Markus Kuhn in the 7th) hoping to grow a Brett Keisel type prospect.

Man the more film I watch of Branch the less I feel he's a safe pick. He looks stiff in the hips and a straight line pass rusher. He doesn't seem to change directions too well. McClellin seems to be safe, steady, and Aaron Kampmen like Tenacious. I saw you liked him more than Brooks Reed..I know you were not a fan of my Smash Mouth Texan
but
If he's better than Reed

You draft him at 28

Bretsky
04-14-2012, 12:40 AM
McClellin Brooks Reed

Height 6-3 3/8 6-3
Weight 260 263
40 4.63 4.65
Bench 19 30
Vertical 31.5 30.5
Broad Jump 9'08" 9'05"
3-Cone 7.07 7.11
Arms 32 3/4 32 1/4

Reed rookie stats:

I was pounding the table last year
I'd still pound the Table

OF COURSE you'd trade pick 28 for Brooks Reed :)

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 12:50 AM
McClellin seems to be safe, steady, and Aaron Kampmen like Tenacious. I saw you liked him more than Brooks Reed..I know you were not a fan of my Smash Mouth Texan
but
If he's better than Reed

You draft him at 28

The big difference? Reed is crazy, while McClellin is smart. Kid played everywhere on that BSU defense, and he never took himself out of a play. I also think he's more loose on his feet, he's played in space a lot in college.

Bretsky
04-14-2012, 01:44 AM
The big difference? Reed is crazy, while McClellin is smart. Kid played everywhere on that BSU defense, and he never took himself out of a play. I also think he's more loose on his feet, he's played in space a lot in college.

That is an interesting but accurate comparison IMO

In Brooks Reed, I saw a combo of the personalities of Clay Matthews and Odell Smash Mouth Thurman....who clearly would have been a great player if not for the lack of a brain :)

In McClellin I see Aaron Kampmen with more talent

Pugger
04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
There are always one or 2 teams that draft some guy from way out in left field leaving the pundits scratching their heads so there is a chance a good pass rusher will fall on the first day.

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 08:59 AM
No one else concerned with his 19 bench reps?

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 09:04 AM
How big is McClellin? As far as I was aware, I thought the other OLB needed to be the big, dominant run-stuffer who didn't need to be quite as agile as Clay.

cough cough Nick Perry

Bretsky
04-14-2012, 09:07 AM
cough cough Nick Perry

not in a 3-4 IMO

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 09:09 AM
not in a 3-4 IMO

Why is that? and why would Shea McClellin fit in a 3-4?

pbmax
04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
How do you do that?

You can Go Advanced when you reply or just punch in [code]all the stats you want[/code} around the chart and you are good. Only that last bracket to close the code code should be a closing square bracket, not curly.

Joemailman
04-14-2012, 09:41 AM

McClellin has played both DE and OLB in a hybrid 4-3/3-4 setup at Boise, much like Clay Matthews did at USC. (I'm not saying he's as good as Matthews). Perry hasn't done that and fared fairly poorly in both the cone and shuttle drills at the Combine. Many people seem him as a better 4-3 DE prospect than a 3-4 OLB prospect.

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry but with the level of competition this guy played against last season he should have had more than 7 sacks especially with the talent he was surrounded with at Boise State. If we trade down to the 2nd round and pick him I wouldn't mind but this guy is just not worth a 1st round pick IMHO. Perry on the other hand has been compared to Steelers OLB Lamar Woodley and has put up better combine numbers than DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller. He was also the Pac-10 defensive player of the year with 9.5 sacks. I know McClellin is this years fan favorite like Brooks Reed last year but the simple fact of the matter they are nothing alike.

woodbuck27
04-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I felt that way too, earlier. Recently, I'm not so sure about Upshaw. An awful lot of luke-warm comments from his pro-day, including that he was significantly over his expected weight, and then ran poorly. I'm afraid he might wind up being one of those great college players who just doesn't have a position in the pros.

Many years there are a few guys I hope are available when the Packers pick, even if they don't take one. At least they were options. Right now there aren't any for me in this draft.

Given OUR needs this draft is no picnik.

woodbuck27
04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
How do you do that?

Yes ! Without alot of these:

red
04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm sorry but with the level of competition this guy played against last season he should have had more than 7 sacks especially with the talent he was surrounded with at Boise State. If we trade down to the 2nd round and pick him I wouldn't mind but this guy is just not worth a 1st round pick IMHO. Perry on the other hand has been compared to Steelers OLB Lamar Woodley and has put up better combine numbers than DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller. He was also the Pac-10 defensive player of the year with 9.5 sacks. I know McClellin is this years fan favorite like Brooks Reed last year but the simple fact of the matter they are nothing alike.

and i suppose if the guy had a little better tan you would be calling him a great choice

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 02:11 PM
No one else concerned with his 19 bench reps?

Boise's weight training program is terrible. Everybody who comes out of that program needs work in the weight room, but the flip side is that is when a Boise guy disappoints on the bench it's less because the kid's just weak, and more because BSU doesn't emphasize that and the latter is fixable whereas the former is not.

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 02:11 PM
and i suppose if the guy had a little better tan you would be calling him a great choice

No I would not but I would bet he wouldn't be such a fan favorite though. :)

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM

At Boise State McClellin played four positions: DE, OLB, ILB, and DT. He had a ton of responsibilities and played extensively on his feet. Perry is a guy who pretty much exclusively went up field and got after the QB. McClellin held the point, handled outside contain, dropped into coverage, and rushed the passer extensively. You can't just look at stats when you're comparing the two guys.

Though, my objection to Perry is largely that I don't think he *can* do the things that I've already seen McClellin do effectively (e.g. drop into coverage.)

Perry's great if you want a guy who can get after the passer and you don't ask him to do anything else. We're not looking for that guy. Perry's a 4-3 end exclusively IMO, unless you're a 3-4 team who wants to make an exception for an OLB who almost never drops into coverage (like Ware in Dallas). But the thing is, if we were going to have one of our OLBs go on every play, it would be Matthews not "the guy opposite Matthews." One of the two OLBs has coverage responsibilities on virtually every play. So Perry actually makes Matthews less effective as a pass rusher, whereas McClellin does not.

There's also the little issue that Perry said at the combine that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the Packers' board for that reason.

red
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
No I would not but I would bet he wouldn't be such a fan favorite though. :)

michael brockers also did 19 reps. to me thats much more of a worry then an OLB that does the same amount

clay did 23, that isn't that much better. now if the guy only did 4 or 5 reps, then i would be worried, but 19? its not all world mr. olympic, but it isn't horrible

Brandon494
04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
At Boise State McClellin played four positions: DE, OLB, ILB, and DT. He had a ton of responsibilities and played extensively on his feet. Perry is a guy who pretty much exclusively went up field and got after the QB. McClellin held the point, handled outside contain, dropped into coverage, and rushed the passer extensively. You can't just look at stats when you're comparing the two guys.

Though, my objection to Perry is largely that I don't think he *can* do the things that I've already seen McClellin do effectively (e.g. drop into coverage.)

Perry's great if you want a guy who can get after the passer and you don't ask him to do anything else. We're not looking for that guy. Perry's a 4-3 end exclusively IMO, unless you're a 3-4 team who wants to make an exception for an OLB who almost never drops into coverage (like Ware in Dallas). But the thing is, if we were going to have one of our OLBs go on every play, it would be Matthews not "the guy opposite Matthews." One of the two OLBs has coverage responsibilities on virtually every play. So Perry actually makes Matthews less effective as a pass rusher, whereas McClellin does not.

There's also the little issue that Perry said at the combine that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he's off the Packers' board for that reason.

I disagree but like I said earlier who really knows until they step out on the field. Your completely dismissing Perry's athletic ability and he dropped into zone coverage at USC as well. You look at the Steelers defense who I believe have the best pass rushing defense in the league. Both their OLBs Harrison and Woodley aren't that great at coverage either but they get pressure on the QB. McClellin did have a lot of responsibilities at Boise St but did not dominate against lesser talent. I'm not saying that guy isn't a good player or that he will fail in the NFL but if I had to choose between the two I would rather have Perry. I believe Perry will be taken before our pick anyway so maybe we will end up with McClellin.

red
04-14-2012, 04:30 PM
i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft, and it sounds like he has more than enough athletic ability to be able to transition to a 3-4 olb

Lurker64
04-14-2012, 08:30 PM
i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft...

IMO, there's nobody who has higher upside in this draft as a pass rusher than Mercilus, you just have to have a lot of confidence in your coaching staff in order to pick him high. But he's got JPP upside.

King Friday
04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd take either Shea or Perry...I also think Perry is the more likely of the two to be drafted first (and before us). I think Greene would be able to work some magic with either of those kids.

woodbuck27
04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
i would just like to add that i would be one happy packer fan if perry falls to us and we take him. he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft, and it sounds like he has more than enough athletic ability to be able to transition to a 3-4 olb

I believe Nick Perry can play 3-4 defense from what i read. I'll bet that he goes off the board before our pick and certainly before Shea McClellin. I like Nick Perry's Strength. i like Shea McClellin's upside but I think he's getting alot of media hype to move him up the board.

If TT had to pick between NP and SM who would he pick?

We won't know as Nick Perry will not slip past the NE Patriots, if he falls that far.

I'm not sure that Shea McClellin isn't a reach but if TT picks him there will be alot of very happy Packer fans. That's moot as Ted Thompson doesn't think in those terms as i observe him.

Shea McClellin would be a populat pick. At #28 mmmm ...... NOT feeling that yet.

3irty1
04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I like the Brooks Reed comparison, same type of athlete and player. I'd pass on him for the same reason I didn't want Reed last year. Lacked production, not a first round caliber of athlete for the position either. Top-notch motor isn't enough for me, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Bruce Irvin who can be as good as he wants rather than a guy like McClellin who can't.

Bretsky
04-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I like the Brooks Reed comparison, same type of athlete and player. I'd pass on him for the same reason I didn't want Reed last year. Lacked production, not a first round caliber of athlete for the position either. Top-notch motor isn't enough for me, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Bruce Irvin who can be as good as he wants rather than a guy like McClellin who can't.

I'll take a Brooks Reed or Conner Barwin type player any day as my #2 OLB over a guy who most project to be a situational pass rusher....one who could be an excellent one...but whose versatility seems very minimized

3irty1
04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I'll take a Brooks Reed or Conner Barwin type player any day as my #2 OLB over a guy who most project to be a situational pass rusher....one who could be an excellent one...but whose versatility seems very minimized

Conner Barwin is not the same type of player as Brooks Reed. Barwin is among the most physically gifted athletes in all of football. The only reason he wasn't a first round pick was because he was a converted TE with very little experience.

Bretsky
04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Conner Barwin is not the same type of player as Brooks Reed. Barwin is among the most physically gifted athletes in all of football. The only reason he wasn't a first round pick was because he was a converted TE with very little experience.

It seems like nearly all of the mock's lately have us taking Merciles, Upshaw, Branch, .Perry or Mcclelin.

In the end that probably means we'll take Peter Konz, the C from Wisconsin :)

I'd honestly be happy with any of the above if they use the 2nd round pick on a DL like Crick or Wolfe.

I'm also fine with Bruce Irvin as long as our scouts don't project him to be a one trick pass rushing pony

Add Russell Wilson at the end of round four and the rest would be icing on the cake.

RashanGary
04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
This is the least of followed the draft in a long time.

The guys I've watched. . . . .

I don't like Perry or Reyes. I especially don't like Perry.

I do like McClellin A LOT. I like Crick and Wolfe a lot too.

McClellin is a very safe bet at OLB. I can't imagine him being anything but damn good. Every play I watched (and it wasn't just highlights) he was in his spot and made plays from his spot without gambling by getting out of position. He sets up the guys blocking him masterfully. He's not just a sack guy. He's an everything guy. And he's a big guy. You could play a smaller DE in front of him, like Crick or Wolfe. Double your pleasure. Two guys on the right side who can get after it and still play the run on that side.

The Pickett/Matthews combo is nice on the left side. The run stopper and the pass rusher. . . . Together, they can do it all. The other side, if you have a better pass rusher DE and a guy like McClellin behind him. . . . That's another nice combo. And come 3rd down, McClellin is a guy you can do a lot of things with. He masks what he's doing very well. He's a guy who will stunt, delay and rush straight up. He brings a lot to the table. He's my favorite of the OLB prospects. . . . I said it earlier, but over and over, the pass protection ended up confused by him. He ran a lot of deception type blitzes and was great at it. His timing, the way he sets things up. . . He has a special knack.

Pugger
04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Any of these defensive kids will be an upgrade over some of the guys we had to send out there last season...

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 05:49 AM

you deo NOT go for Bruce Irvin at #28. That #28 pick is tough to assess doing a MOCK. It's looking more and more like TT might have to go to the trenches pick. Go either LT ie Mike Adams if he falls to him or DT and Jerel Worthy. Maybe TT goes RB andpicks LaMar Miller fr. Miami.

If TT elects to select one of those and pass's on 'a falling CB Janoris Jenkins' (please do) at Pick #28. Then he's almost 'forced to trade up' from his second round pick at #59 if he likes ** OLB's Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis or OLB/DE Shea McClellin or DT's Brandon Thompson and Kendall Reyes might have his eye.

He might be all over SS Harrison Smith; but as with these mentioned prospects need to trade up 'alot' to secure him.

Any of these above prospects will cost TT his 3rd and 4th round picks and the #59 pick.

As I study it...** one of these prospects may fall to TT; and one of these fellas should be available if he sits on Pick #59:

DE Chandler Jones or DT Alameda Ta'amu or CB Jamell Fleming.

OT's Zebrie Sanders or Michael Schwartz or Bobbie Masse

FS Markele Martin

GO Ted Thompson !

GO PACKERS !

3irty1
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
you deo NOT go for Bruce Irvin at #28. That #28 pick is tough to assess doing a MOCK. It's looking more and more like TT might have to go to the trenches pick. Go either LT ie Mike Adams if he falls to him or DT and Jerel Worthy. Maybe TT goes RB andpicks LaMar Miller fr. Miami.

If TT elects to select one of those and pass's on 'a falling CB Janoris Jenkins' (please do) at Pick #28. Then he's almost 'forced to trade up' from his second round pick at #59 if he likes ** OLB's Lavonte David or Ronnell Lewis or OLB/DE Shea McClellin or DT's Brandon Thompson and Kendall Reyes might have his eye.

He might be all over SS Harrison Smith; but as with these mentioned prospects need to trade up 'alot' to secure him.

Any of these above prospects will cost TT his 3rd and 4th round picks and the #59 pick.

As I study it...** one of these prospects may fall to TT; and one of these fellas should be available if he sits on Pick #59:

DE Chandler Jones or DT Alameda Ta'amu or CB Jamell Fleming.

OT's Zebrie Sanders or Michael Schwartz or Bobbie Masse

FS Markele Martin

GO Ted Thompson !

GO PACKERS !

No Irvin at 28 is a reach. But I like Irvin at 60 more than McClellin at 28.

I like Bobby Wagner a lot more than McClellin too for us.

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
No Irvin at 28 is a reach. But I like Irvin at 60 more than McClellin at 28.

I like Bobby Wagner a lot more than McClellin too for us.

Yes! Bobby Wagner is ranked higher up some BOARDS than either Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin and the hype has McClellin almost going above oue #28, well into the First Round in all theis media driven BS. It's really something to observe.

Are you reading that OLB Bobby Wagner isn't a typical choice for a 3-4 defense; better suited to the 4-3?

Guiness
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
McClellin's stock is rising, but not universally. If the pundits know anything, he'll be at the bottom of the first or top of the 2nd.

Interesting that I've seen Shea going to NE with three different picks! Either of their picks in the first, or their pick at #48 in the second (from the Raiders? How'd they get that? Probably something to do with Moss, lol!)

Also being mocked to the Pack:
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2012/4/16/2952329/2012-nfl-mock-draft-green-bay-packers-shea-mcclellin

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
McClellin's stock is rising, but not universally. If the pundits know anything, he'll be at the bottom of the first or top of the 2nd.

Interesting that I've seen Shea going to NE with three different picks! Either of their picks in the first, or their pick at #48 in the second (from the Raiders? How'd they get that? Probably something to do with Moss, lol!)

Also being mocked to the Pack:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2012/4/16/2952329/2012-nfl-mock-draft-green-bay-packers-shea-mcclellin

Poll

Who's the pick?

40%
DE/OLB Shea McClellin
78 votes

3%
DT/DE Jerel Worthy
7 votes

2%
DT/DE Kendall Reyes
4 votes

6%
DT/DE Devon Still
13 votes

8%
DE/OLB Andre Branch
17 votes

22%
DE/OLB Nick Perry
43 votes

11%
DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus
22 votes

5%
I'm that weird guy who doesn't pick a front 7 player
10 votes

Total: 194 votes

3irty1
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes! Bobby Wagner is ranked higher up some BOARDS than either Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin and the hype has McClellin almost going above oue #28, well into the First Round in all theis media driven BS. It's really something to observe.

Are you reading that OLB Bobby Wagner isn't a typical choice for a 3-4 defense; better suited to the 4-3?

Bobby Wagner is more of an ILB who was used as an edge rusher a bit in nickle packages... A lot like Clay. Also like Clay, the guy is more football player than pass rusher at this point but does have a top-drawer first step.

Fritz
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Any relation to Robert Wagner?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00999/Robert-Wagner_999021c.jpg

And by the way, Natalie Woods was smokin' hot.

Just sayin'.