PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2012 Mock Draft

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Reading Brandons mock got me excited. So I figured I would do my own because it is fun and I have other stuff I need to do that I don't want to do.

1.28 Jared Crick Nebraska DE, The elite pass rushers should all be gone at this point in the draft. If a player like Nick Perry is still available or Courtney Upshaw the Packers could easily go that direction, but Crick provides the Packers a defensive end that can play on all three downs, as Crick can hold up against the run and has demonstrated that he can get after the passer as a 3 tech tackle, or a 5 tech end. Crick battled injuries his senior year, missing the last half of the year after tearing his pectoral muscle, but he was able to bench press 225, 26 times at his pro day proving that he is healthy going into the draft. He was a sure fire first round pick in 2011 but chose to stay in college for his senior year. He won't make it to the Packers in round two and most scouts don't have a 1st round grade attached to him, so I could see the Packers move back and take him in the early part of the second round.

2.27 Jamell Flemming CB Oklahoma, The Packers could trade up or down from the first round, but without a doubt it is hard hoping for Shea McCellin to land in the Packers lap if they stay put in the second round. McClellin is a hard nose lunch box and hard hat football player that would be a perfect fit for the Packers defense and the Green Bay community, but the Packers will have to do some moving on day 2 of the draft to land him. The Packers would also like to get the hands on cornerback Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska, but he is coveted corner at the end of round 1. Dennard is a big imposing cornerback that can play in man coverage and off in zone. A sure tackler, but a bit injury prone, and his straight line speed isn't going to blow any one away. the Packers will settle for Jamell Flemming from Oklahoma who has the same the same 40 time as Dennard, and is about the same size at 5'11' 205 pounds. Flemming had a fantastic Senior Bowl demonstrating ability at the los and falling back into zone.

3.27 Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy, The Packers bolster their pass rush with Massaquoi, but are going to have to coach him up and polish him because he is a raw football player at this point. He has tremendous ability to get to the passer, but needs work with his technique. Played out of position as defensive end at Troy, frame is built more for a hybrid pass rusher. Might be a weakness in coverage. If drafted a team should only draft him with the expectations that his rookie year he will impact only as a pass rusher.

4.28 Mike Brewster C Ohio St, Again the Packers might have to move up in the 4th round to make this selection. Brewster started 48 games for the Buckeyes and was the leader on the offensive line. Smart football player and responsible for setting the line and blocking assignments. He works well in tight spaces, and is quick off the ball in pass pro, might get beat in the run game by quicker defenders.

pbmax
04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Haven't the Packers had a bad track record with torn pectorals? Johnson, Harrell and Neal? Or have I just lumped them together?

Crick has been criticized here and on football future as ending up on the ground a lot for an elite talent. Did you see any of this?

I suspect, if as you and others suggest there is a group of less than perfect but passable prospects at 28, that T2 goes backwards and moves up in the second or third in the process.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2012, 02:34 PM
All defensive linemen end up on the ground. It is a fact of life. Now getting pushed back and trampled that is a problem. I certainly haven't seen it as huge issue. the guy was banged up his senior year, I would give him a break on that critique.

Anyways, pectorals suck, Harrell tore his bicep, which is a bad injury to have, you either live life without a bicep, or you have a pretty intense surgery that will limit your strength for the rest of your life.

The fact that Crick was able to come back and bench 225, 26 times tells me that it is healed up just fine and that he would ready to go full speed as soon as the packer organize a practice.

Deputy Nutz
04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
4.37 comp pick, Brandon Hardin FS,Oregon St. 6'3" 215lbs. The Packers still need help on the defensive side of the ball, but don't expect a player here that is going to contribute to the defense, if he does it is a surprise, look for Thompson to make a selection of player that is going to make an impact on special teams. Brandon Hardin missed all of his senior season after undergoing shoulder surgery. He was invited to the East West Shrine game to make a point that he was healthy. He wasn't invited to the combine, but at the OSU pro day he ran a 4.40 forty and benched 225lbs 24 times, interesting, before the surgery he benched 225lbs 21 times. He is an athlete, but teams will be cautious with him missing his entire season with injury. If the Packers land him here he could be the steal of the draft. Excellent and aggressive in run support and makes an impact on special teams. Played corner in college but projects as a free safety in the pros.

4.38 comp pick, Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin, 5'11" 215lbs, In a relatively weak quarterback class Russell Wilson projects as a top 5 qb in this draft class. His major negative is his lack of height otherwise he would be considered a first round prospect. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws in the west coast offense. He demonstrated his ability to grasp an offense coming into Wisconsin and mastering Paul Christ offense in only one season, after starting 3 years in the NC St.'s west coast styled offense. The Packers should be intrigued by his ability to run a pro offense at Wisconsin that also has a sprinkle of Mike McCarthy's spread offense. Comfortable in the shotgun or under center. There is no questions about Wilson's mobility, as he ran a faster forty time than Robert Griffin. Currently he is working out in Florida under the coaching eye of Chris Weinke, concentrating on his accuracy.

5.28 Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma, 6'1" 240lbs, Again the Packers need to concentrate on defense and special teams players and Lewis fits the bill. A tough player at Oklahoma who has the ability to play on the outside or inside. Team leader for the Sooners, but battled injury throughout his senior year and struggled with injuries at the combine. Calling him a reliable tackler would be an understatement, very secure tackler which is an area the Packers seem to struggle with. Fluid with his pass/run recognition and getting into coverage.

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Reading Brandons mock got me excited. So I figured I would do my own because it is fun and I have other stuff I need to do that I don't want to do.

1.28 Jared Crick Nebraska DE, The elite pass rushers should all be gone at this point in the draft. If a player like Nick Perry is still available or Courtney Upshaw the Packers could easily go that direction, but Crick provides the Packers a defensive end that can play on all three downs, as Crick can hold up against the run and has demonstrated that he can get after the passer as a 3 tech tackle, or a 5 tech end. Crick battled injuries his senior year, missing the last half of the year after tearing his pectoral muscle, but he was able to bench press 225, 26 times at his pro day proving that he is healthy going into the draft. He was a sure fire first round pick in 2011 but chose to stay in college for his senior year. He won't make it to the Packers in round two and most scouts don't have a 1st round grade attached to him, so I could see the Packers move back and take him in the early part of the second round.

2.27 Jamell Flemming CB Oklahoma, The Packers could trade up or down from the first round, but without a doubt it is hard hoping for Shea McCellin to land in the Packers lap if they stay put in the second round. McClellin is a hard nose lunch box and hard hat football player that would be a perfect fit for the Packers defense and the Green Bay community, but the Packers will have to do some moving on day 2 of the draft to land him. The Packers would also like to get the hands on cornerback Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska, but he is coveted corner at the end of round 1. Dennard is a big imposing cornerback that can play in man coverage and off in zone. A sure tackler, but a bit injury prone, and his straight line speed isn't going to blow any one away. the Packers will settle for Jamell Flemming from Oklahoma who has the same the same 40 time as Dennard, and is about the same size at 5'11' 205 pounds. Flemming had a fantastic Senior Bowl demonstrating ability at the los and falling back into zone.

3.27 Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy, The Packers bolster their pass rush with Massaquoi, but are going to have to coach him up and polish him because he is a raw football player at this point. He has tremendous ability to get to the passer, but needs work with his technique. Played out of position as defensive end at Troy, frame is built more for a hybrid pass rusher. Might be a weakness in coverage. If drafted a team should only draft him with the expectations that his rookie year he will impact only as a pass rusher.

4.28 Mike Brewster C Ohio St, Again the Packers might have to move up in the 4th round to make this selection. Brewster started 48 games for the Buckeyes and was the leader on the offensive line. Smart football player and responsible for setting the line and blocking assignments. He works well in tight spaces, and is quick off the ball in pass pro, might get beat in the run game by quicker defenders.

"3.27 Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy, The Packers bolster their pass rush with Massaquoi, but are going to have to coach him up and polish him because he is a raw football player at this point. He has tremendous ability to get to the passer, but needs work with his technique. Played out of position as defensive end at Troy, frame is built more for a hybrid pass rusher. Might be a weakness in coverage. If drafted a team should only draft him with the expectations that his rookie year he will impact only as a pass rusher.' Deputy Nutz

I like him too but he'll be on my MOCK in the Fourth round.

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 06:33 AM
4.37 comp pick, Brandon Hardin FS,Oregon St. 6'3" 215lbs. The Packers still need help on the defensive side of the ball, but don't expect a player here that is going to contribute to the defense, if he does it is a surprise, look for Thompson to make a selection of player that is going to make an impact on special teams. Brandon Hardin missed all of his senior season after undergoing shoulder surgery. He was invited to the East West Shrine game to make a point that he was healthy. He wasn't invited to the combine, but at the OSU pro day he ran a 4.40 forty and benched 225lbs 24 times, interesting, before the surgery he benched 225lbs 21 times. He is an athlete, but teams will be cautious with him missing his entire season with injury. If the Packers land him here he could be the steal of the draft. Excellent and aggressive in run support and makes an impact on special teams. Played corner in college but projects as a free safety in the pros.

4.38 comp pick, Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin, 5'11" 215lbs, In a relatively weak quarterback class Russell Wilson projects as a top 5 qb in this draft class. His major negative is his lack of height otherwise he would be considered a first round prospect. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws in the west coast offense. He demonstrated his ability to grasp an offense coming into Wisconsin and mastering Paul Christ offense in only one season, after starting 3 years in the NC St.'s west coast styled offense. The Packers should be intrigued by his ability to run a pro offense at Wisconsin that also has a sprinkle of Mike McCarthy's spread offense. Comfortable in the shotgun or under center. There is no questions about Wilson's mobility, as he ran a faster forty time than Robert Griffin. Currently he is working out in Florida under the coaching eye of Chris Weinke, concentrating on his accuracy.

5.28 Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma, 6'1" 240lbs, Again the Packers need to concentrate on defense and special teams players and Lewis fits the bill. A tough player at Oklahoma who has the ability to play on the outside or inside. Team leader for the Sooners, but battled injury throughout his senior year and struggled with injuries at the combine. Calling him a reliable tackler would be an understatement, very secure tackler which is an area the Packers seem to struggle with. Fluid with his pass/run recognition and getting into coverage.

RE: Brandon Hardin. Good size and excellent measurables. The Seahawks are looking at him:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/14/2947237/nfl-draft-prospect-visit-tracker-oregon-state-db-brandon-hardin

QB Russell Wilson is a popular choice.

OLB Travis Lewis is someone I'm studying for my MOCK Draft ? Some so called Draft Experts are claiming that he fits a 4-3 scheme but as it's presented in your write-up on him. He looks like a decent prospect as one of our compensatory picks in the fourth round. Travis Lewis may be gone by the fifth.

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

"1.28 Jared Crick Nebraska DE" Deputy Nutz

This fella may be falling to us? If he does how excited would you be for Ted Thompson to select him? :

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-29-whitney-mercilus-olb-illinois-152228623.html

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't give a shit if Ted Thompson selects him or not. I just think he fits the bill for the Packers. I hope they take another offensive tackle

woodbuck27
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't give a shit if Ted Thompson selects him or not. I just think he fits the bill for the Packers. I hope they take another offensive tackle

It looks like the top OT's will come off the board fast. There might be a run on them and force TT to move in that direction inspite of our defensive needs. Chad Clifton is about done and he's maybe? not sure of our new fellas at that valuable position.

The more I'm patient with my MOCK and look at it. It seems that LT is a viable direction at #28.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Woody, I was being a sarcastic prick. I dislike the Packers and hope they screw up this draft, but if they went with a guy like Crick they wouldn't screw up the draft, he is a solid pick.