PDA

View Full Version : Vikings moving to LA after this coming season?

Cheesehead Craig
04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
A MN House committee shot down the Vikes' stadium funding bill which kills it this session.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7822446/minnesota-vikings-stadium-proposal-rejected-house-committee

I would fully expect the Vikes to get very serious about talks with one of the LA groups. We may very well see a new NFC North divison with the Rams coming here and the Vikes out in the West come 2014.

Fritz
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't the Buffalo Bills make more sense? After all, Buffalo is norther than St. Louis.

sheepshead
04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't the Buffalo Bills make more sense? After all, Buffalo is norther than St. Louis.

It might, but the Chicago / St Louis thang already exists....

Fritz
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
True, true. And Buffalo doesn't have a fierce rivalry with anyone. It's a strange, sad place. And that's said by a guy from Detroit!

hoosier
04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Didn't the NFL keep the Arizona Cardinals in the East for a long time after they moved from St Louis as a recognition of their rivalries with other teams, especially Dallas? And, for that matter, exhibit A for not moving teams out of key rivalries is the Cowboys in the NFC East. The Vikings will stay in the Central, I mean the North.

King Friday
04-17-2012, 07:19 PM
The NFL isn't going to let the LA market get football and then be forced to get up at 10am to watch their team play. The only reason the Cardinals were left in the lurch is because their fan base was small and Dallas wanted to have a 9th home game on their schedule, and Jerry gets what he wants (other than his team winning on the field).

Guiness
04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeach, wouldn't like Buffalo in the division! I'm afraid their tundra is often more frozen than Green Bay's!

Seriously, I'd be torn by the idea of Buffalo in the same division as the Pack. Because they're close, and AFC, I tend to follow and pull for them as a secondary team. I'd lose that...but the idea of the Pack playing in my backyard once a year would make me smile! There's a lot of Pack fans up here, poor Buffalo would be swamped with green and gold in their own stadium!

The Vikings moving though, eh? LA not having a team is like this trump card every disenfranchised owner can play. The sooner they get a team so cities/state the small market teams won't have that thrown in their faces the better. Has Cincy made noise about that too? I know Jax has; what about Tampa? I think St-L, who's attendance is in the toilet is in a long term lease.

ND72
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
The NFL isn't going to let the LA market get football and then be forced to get up at 10am to watch their team play. The only reason the Cardinals were left in the lurch is because their fan base was small and Dallas wanted to have a 9th home game on their schedule, and Jerry gets what he wants (other than his team winning on the field).

What? Most west coast games are later games. San Fran, San Diego, Oakland, and Seatle all play out there.
Rams would be the logical decision, just swap divisions. Where would buffalo, an afc team, be able to swap with an LA team? Afc west is full.

Pugger
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
I will shed no tear if the queens are shipped off to LA and OUT of the NFCN.

Willard
04-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Bad deal for the Queen fans. bummage. I probably wont cry either, but i dont like to see it.

ND72
04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
College friend of mine worked with the group presenting all this stuff to Minnesota assembly. I made fun of him, their slogan was "Keep Tradition in Minnesota"...I said that was a bad idea since the tradition is choking and losing. :D

Tony Oday
04-18-2012, 11:43 AM
The Democrats shot it down.

Why bring Buffalo in wouldnt a Ohio Team or Indy make more sense?

Zool
04-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Of the nine no votes, five came from Democrats and four were Republicans.

mmmdk
04-18-2012, 12:22 PM

...and none from Gryffindor I might add!

pbmax
04-18-2012, 04:51 PM

I was about to blast this suggestion, but since the actual franchise is in Baltimore and Modell is no longer involved, its possible.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Goodell is now piling on:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/goodell-tells-minnesota-governor-failure-to-pass-stadium-bill-will-trigger-serious-consequences/

ND72
04-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Why would we bring in a Buffalo, Cincy, Cleveland, or Indy? If you move to LA, you are our west, St. Louis is in the NFC WEST...it's an easy transition putting LA in the West, and move St. Louis to the North. plus it's NFC for NFC. Why over think this?

Gunakor
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Why would we bring in a Buffalo, Cincy, Cleveland, or Indy? If you move to LA, you are our west, St. Louis is in the NFC WEST...it's an easy transition putting LA in the West, and move St. Louis to the North. plus it's NFC for NFC. Why over think this?

There was, and maybe still is for the fans, a strong rivalry between the Niners and Rams that they might not want to break up.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
There was, and maybe still is for the fans, a strong rivalry between the Niners and Rams that they might not want to break up.

I've never even heard of that rivalry. And I lived there.

sharpe1027
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM

I would think the Bills-Dolphins rivalry is at least on par with Niners-Rams, probably more.

Lurker64
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
The obvious swap, if the Vikings move to LA, would be St. Louis moves from the NFC West to the NFC North and the Vikings move from the NFC North to the NFC West. It's simple, and makes geographical sense (much more sense than the Rams playing in the West.)

That being said, I hope that the Vikings don't leave. As a Twin Cities resident, the Vikings are a reliable source to satisfy all of my schadenfreude needs. With the Lions suddenly good, I don't think I could take the Vikings leaving.

Gunakor
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I've never even heard of that rivalry. And I lived there.

Lived where, St. Louis or LA?

Zool
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
As a resident of the great state of Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Scott Campbell
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Lived where, St. Louis or LA?

Neither.

Bay Area.

woodbuck27
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeach, wouldn't like Buffalo in the division! I'm afraid their tundra is often more frozen than Green Bay's!

Seriously, I'd be torn by the idea of Buffalo in the same division as the Pack. Because they're close, and AFC, I tend to follow and pull for them as a secondary team. I'd lose that...but the idea of the Pack playing in my backyard once a year would make me smile! There's a lot of Pack fans up here, poor Buffalo would be swamped with green and gold in their own stadium!

The Vikings moving though, eh? LA not having a team is like this trump card every disenfranchised owner can play. The sooner they get a team so cities/state the small market teams won't have that thrown in their faces the better. Has Cincy made noise about that too? I know Jax has; what about Tampa? I think St-L, who's attendance is in the toilet is in a long term lease.

Holy Mackeral NO!

Packers @ Bills is alot closer than Packers @ Rams in terms of travel and rooms are cheap in Buffalo after Tom Brady slam'd that city's hospitality efforts.

ND72
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
The obvious swap, if the Vikings move to LA, would be St. Louis moves from the NFC West to the NFC North and the Vikings move from the NFC North to the NFC West. It's simple, and makes geographical sense (much more sense than the Rams playing in the West.)

That being said, I hope that the Vikings don't leave. As a Twin Cities resident, the Vikings are a reliable source to satisfy all of my schadenfreude needs. With the Lions suddenly good, I don't think I could take the Vikings leaving.

I don't want them to leave just because I enjoy making fun of all my Minnesota Viking friends. I get 2 weeks of enjoyment a year. Granted a few years ago many deleted me off facebook when I was cheering for Favre to get broken.

Tony Oday
04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

All the Repubs voted for it on the committee and the Dems wont even call the governor back!

ND72
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
All the Repubs voted for it on the committee and the Dems wont even call the governor back!

I might be the only Anti-Walker/Anti-Republican guy here, but why do politics come in to play here and who cares? Talk football...

Gunakor
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
This is a wholly political topic that has nothing to do with football other than the occupant of a stadium with an expiring lease. There's no football to discuss here.

Cheesehead Craig
04-19-2012, 03:20 PM

What? 5 Republicans voted for it, 4 voted against it. If all the Repubs had voted for the bill, it would have passed.

red
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
i think after the vikings move to LA they should change their name to the los angeles minnesotons after stealing their 2nd pro team form the state

gbgary
04-19-2012, 07:03 PM
True, true. And Buffalo doesn't have a fierce rivalry with anyone. It's a strange, sad place. And that's said by a guy from Detroit!

i've got a bud from buf and he says the miami rivalry is pretty bitter...for some reason.

i think the stl move makes sense.

MadtownPacker
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Let's remember posting about politics goes in the FYI section. There is plenty to discuss on this topic besides that.

cheesner
04-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Republican or democrat its just plain stupid. I hope these fools loose their team so that they can understand the concept of tax revenue and how it relates to budget.

Gunakor
04-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Republican or democrat its just plain stupid. I hope these fools loose their team so that they can understand the concept of tax revenue and how it relates to budget.

I hope the Twins leave in the near future too. Then Minneapolis will be known as the only American city to have lost a franchise in every major professional sport. They've already lost the Lakers and the North Stars. They should already understand the lesson you describe, but they just aren't getting it.

Then again, the Lakers and North Stars have both been replaced by new franchises. The Vikings will return, even if they aren't the Vikings anymore. And their voting public will then be on the hook for far more than half the construction cost of the new stadium which will eventually have to be built. If they were smart they'd just adopt the bill rejected by their government, saving themselves hundreds of millions of dollars AND a professional sports franchise. If they were smart.

Fritz
04-20-2012, 06:04 AM
I think if they move to LA, given some of the antics of some of their players in the past, they should name the team the Los Angeles Dildos. Maybe this would be their helmet logo:

http://www.eyespygifts.com/product_images/unknown-brand/6-i/6-inch-prince-charming-s.png

Tony Oday
04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Nice and yesterday the Repubs blocked it. MN politics are very polarized right now and it could cost this state the Vikes.

ND72
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I think if they move to LA, given some of the antics of some of their players in the past, they should name the team the Los Angeles Dildos. Maybe this would be their helmet logo:

http://www.eyespygifts.com/product_images/unknown-brand/6-i/6-inch-prince-charming-s.png

Weirdly enough, in Madden I moved Jacksonville to LA and they were the Diablos...sort of close ;)

Scott Campbell
04-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Favre already inspired this one:

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/x2_301fc5e.jpg

Pugger
04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
i've got a bud from buf and he says the miami rivalry is pretty bitter...for some reason.

i think the stl move makes sense.

A bitter rivalry doesn't have to include close teams geographically. Remember the 90s and our tussles with the cowgirls? In the past few years the Gmen are starting to get on my nerves.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Goddell is here in the Twin Cities today to give some ultimatums, I mean assess the situation here.

gbgary
04-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Goddell is here in the Twin Cities today to give some ultimatums, I mean assess the situation here.

you were right the first time.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
It's funny that Goddell comes out and says that there's no implied threat of the Vikes leaving MN by his presence at the Capitol and his insistance on getting the stadium bill done this year. Yeah, right.

Tony Oday
04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I cant believe how dumb this whole thing is! Bunch of libtards and Neoconbitches that cant agree on a damn thing.

Lets build some more damn bike paths in this crap state...

Fritz
04-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey man, cut it out. I like bike paths.

Tony Oday
04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey man, cut it out. I like bike paths.

This state has too many...and real bikers make their own :)

Cheesehead Craig
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, the stadium bill made it through the House and Senate (albeit different versions) and now it will go to a committee to get them resolved. It's pretty much a given, IMO that there's gonna be a new stadium in Minneapolis at this point. The Vikes can posture all they want that they will have to pay $25-105 million more than they said they were going to (depending on what the committee comes out with), but they will take the deal they are given.

Unless the committee comes out with something really odd, I don't see the Vikes walking away from this.