PDA

View Full Version : TIERING THE NFL DRAFTEES..>ELITE..BLUE CHIP...RED CHIP

Bretsky
04-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Check out these ratings......interesting.

SOAK IT UP TT

All of the OLB's everybody really likes are graded in that 26-40 range.

TWO PICKS IN THE TOP 45 !!! Trade Down and then Trade Up could yield two imact players.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828688a8/article/2012-nfl-draft-tiers-elite-prospects-blue-chips-red-chips?module=HP11_hot_topics

Guiness
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Decent article, a little over the top with the statement that the elite prospects will be top 5 at their position in 2-3 years! Luck and RGIII? Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rothlisberger say differently!

woodbuck27
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
See Lurker64's first Mock in thread One man's Mock. He covers this scenario very well in that post.

Ideally this is the best strategy IMO. Are teams going to be lining up for TT the GM of 'the Green Bay Packers' to accomodate him? Teams want to gain on us. Not elevate us in any way.

Now if TT has some excellent rapport with two 'shadow allies'. We're possibly talking some fine cooking. I believe this trade down fr.#28 and up fr.#59 into the Pick 36-46 slot isn't something easy to manage in reality.

GO TED THOMPSON !

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Reading the bios on these OLBs, they all have warts. None of them look like "can't misses," so getting two impact players amongst this group looks like a real challenge. There may not be more than two impact players amongst the whole bunch of them.

packrulz
04-20-2012, 05:17 AM
I think this is a deep draft at DT/DE, and RB. I like McClellin but I would take Upshaw, Perry, Branch, Stills, Brockers, Cox, or Wilson (RB) ahead of him.

Bretsky
04-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I think this is a deep draft at DT/DE, and RB. I like McClellin but I would take Upshaw, Perry, Branch, Stills, Brockers, Cox, or Wilson (RB) ahead of him.

Listening to the NFL Networks breakdown of the Packers draft last night......they think starting at pick #18 there is going to be a run of OLB's since a lot of the next ten teams are 3-4 teams. Mayock thinks McClellin is the perfect fit accross fro Matthews due his all around versatility and pass rushing abilities. I don't think Perry or Branch are as versatile as Mac but they probably offer more upside.......if they develop. Brockers....agree...Cox will be long gone by 28. I like Still less the more I see him play on tape

Guys like Wilson or Konz might be rated higher than some of those OLB's and it would be a classic TT pick if he decided to go offense in round one.........worked yrs ago with AROD

Fritz
04-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Maybe Ted's greatest draft pick was Clay Matthews. A few OLB's were drafted ahead of him, yet Ted jumped up to get him, and Matthews is the best of that bunch. Thompson must've seen Matthews as a top-tier blue chipper - he said they debated taking him at #10 overall - but I wonder what he saw that others in front of him missed?

My guess is that in this world of scouts everywhere, all the time, it is hard to find a hidden gem. They don't stay hidden any more.

ND72
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
I think it is interesting to see what Ted does. Obviously we've all come to the conclusion we have no idea what he'll do until it's his pick. I think the past couple of years I've had no clue, and then when GB picked it was pretty obvious to me we woudl take Sherrod, Bulaga, etc. But, given the talent pool at the areas of need we have, which I know teddy doesn't worry about that, that pool is very "thick". I would not be surprised to see Ted trade in either direction, up or down, because of that reason.

Pugger
04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Maybe Ted's greatest draft pick was Clay Matthews. A few OLB's were drafted ahead of him, yet Ted jumped up to get him, and Matthews is the best of that bunch. Thompson must've seen Matthews as a top-tier blue chipper - he said they debated taking him at #10 overall - but I wonder what he saw that others in front of him missed?

My guess is that in this world of scouts everywhere, all the time, it is hard to find a hidden gem. They don't stay hidden any more.

I love Clay but Ted's greatest draft pick was Aaron Rodgers.

pbmax
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
We need to light the Rastak Signal to see if he'll show up for some draft coverage. B, do you still have his email?

Zool
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
We need to light the Rastak Signal to see if he'll show up for some draft coverage. B, do you still have his email?

Or Harv or Tony O?

mraynrand
04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Listening to the NFL Networks breakdown of the Packers draft last night......they think starting at pick #18 there is going to be a run of OLB's since a lot of the next ten teams are 3-4 teams. Mayock thinks McClellin is the perfect fit accross fro Matthews due his all around versatility and pass rushing abilities. I don't think Perry or Branch are as versatile as Mac but they probably offer more upside.......if they develop. Brockers....agree...Cox will be long gone by 28. I like Still less the more I see him play on tape

Guys like Wilson or Konz might be rated higher than some of those OLB's and it would be a classic TT pick if he decided to go offense in round one.........worked yrs ago with AROD

I saw that too. Swayed me into thinking that TT will move up to get his OLB of choice. Of course, I will be wrong.

sharpe1027
04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

There has been a noticeable lack of non-packer contributors lately. Light the signal.

Freak Out
04-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I believe Superfan and Harv met him for beers and a game some years ago.....could be wrong.

Cleft Crusty
04-20-2012, 02:01 PM
I believe Superfan and Harv met him for beers and a game some years ago.....could be wrong.

I don't think they are going to tell you where they buried the body.

MadScientist
04-20-2012, 04:09 PM

I don't know if they didn't see things or just had enough reason for concern that they went another direction. Clay only had one really good year, and a lot of scouts would have pushed him down a bit for that. Still it's not like Clay was ignored. He likely would have been in NE at that pick if the trade wasn't made, so it wasn't like he was overlooked that much.

Fritz
04-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know if they didn't see things or just had enough reason for concern that they went another direction. Clay only had one really good year, and a lot of scouts would have pushed him down a bit for that. Still it's not like Clay was ignored. He likely would have been in NE at that pick if the trade wasn't made, so it wasn't like he was overlooked that much.

I guess I'm going with "if that same draft were held today..." In such a case, I can't imagine Matthews being drafted late in the first round. I'm not saying he was a huge sleeper - but there were two or three OLB's taken ahead of him. Run that same draft today, and Matthews would probably be a top seven pick.

ND, the only Ted pick I ever predicted correctly was when Bulaga was waiting there, like low-hanging fruit, after the Cowboys and others passed on him. I agree with you. Ted is hard to predict - until you have hindsight.

Bretsky
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM

I do not anymore.........Mad....can you send me Rastak's email ? Harvey and Superfan would be our best bet since they are from the Twin Cities area. Maybe Cheesehead Craig also

Scott Campbell
04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Anyone else hate the draft being spread out over 3 days?

Joemailman
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Being someone who works most Saturdays, I like the fact that the 1st round is now in prime-time. If it weren't for that though, I'd probably be opposed to it.

Guiness
04-21-2012, 12:21 AM

I don't get why they did that at all. Just seems stupid...do they really get more eyeballs that way?

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 12:59 AM

Looking at our team's situation right now and say Nick Collins isn't playing another snap.

Do you like SS Mark Barron as a first round pick for us?

Anyone? What's your assessment of Mark Barron as ' a valuable player ' or not?

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 01:10 AM

"Mayock thinks McClellin is the perfect fit accross from Matthews due his all around versatility and pass rushing abilities." B.

I can't imagine TT selecting him (Shea McClellin) but I like him so much in terms of his attitude on the field as ' a player' that 'gets down with the hussel'.

I like him so much to go out and purchase and now wear 'a Boise State BRONCOS' hoodie. That whole 'Royal blue and Orange' color scheme looks nice. As fashion conscious fella. That's important to me.

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 01:14 AM
I think it is interesting to see what Ted does. Obviously we've all come to the conclusion we have no idea what he'll do until it's his pick. I think the past couple of years I've had no clue, and then when GB picked it was pretty obvious to me we woudl take Sherrod, Bulaga, etc. But, given the talent pool at the areas of need we have, which I know teddy doesn't worry about that, that pool is very "thick". I would not be surprised to see Ted trade in either direction, up or down, because of that reason.

Realistically. Ted Thompson has Five rounds in which to accomplish a lot of need.

Trading up and down is fine as long as he can manage those strategies. That also comes at some cost.

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 01:18 AM

Ohh boy! Is that one just hanging there.... ready to be spiked.

but.... I'm not that kind of fella. I appreciate you making some effort to include something 'football' in a post.

You have potential. Keep up the good work Scott.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Ohh boy! Is that one just hanging there.... ready to be spiked.

but.... I'm not that kind of fella. I appreciate you making some effort to include something 'football' in a post.

You have potential. Keep up the good work Scott.

:lol: