PDA

View Full Version : Mockzilla

3irty1
04-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Round One:
Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
6'3" 266 lbs

Not a ton of people have Vinny Curry pegged as a first rounder much less outside linebacker in a 3-4 but I'm thinking that's exactly where he belongs. Look at these numbers:

40: 4.69
10: 1.58
bench: 28
vert: 35
ss: 4.40
3c: 6.90

His size and strength are good, his vertical jump shows he has some explosiveness, but we all know TT gets a million boners over a 3-cone and Curry's is as good as Clay Matthews's. Sure seems like Curry has the change of direction skills to be at least serviceable in coverage. Best part about Curry? He's a fumble forcing machine--got 7 last season.

Round Two:
Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
6'1" 306 lbs

Strong, fast, and Big Teny. Mike Martin is pretty similar as a prospect to Mike Neal that way. He might have less upside than Neal but is probably a better player right now.

Round Three:
Michael Brewster, C, Ohio St.
6'4" 312 lbs

Brewster is a big center who does the small things well. Great hands, picks up blitzes and stunts without fail. By the time Saturday's career is over, Brewster should almost be worthy of having Aaron Rodgers put his hands on his ass.

Round Four Pick A:
Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
6'0" 218 lbs

Pierce is nearly a drop in replacement for Ryan Grant. A big back with a bit of long speed, great ball security, and a decisive one-cut style very much like Grant's.

Pick B:
Brandon Hardin, FS, Oregon St.
6'3" 217 lbs

Hardin's pro day numbers were insane for his size. With Collins's future questionable and depth pretty horrid, it may be time for a new physical specimen at safety.

Pick C:
Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
6'6" 320 lbs

Sanders played mostly right tackle in college but many of his best games were while pressed into service on the left side. A real technician as a run blocker, generating a lot of pop in his hips resulting in pancakes and a rare ability to hit moving targets at the second level. There is also a lot to love about his character. Of course no fourth round sandwich pick is perfect, Sanders was routinely mauled by stronger bull rushers at the senior bowl. He needs to get some sand in his pants, a guy with his size and monster lower body shouldn't be that easy to move backwards.

Round Five:
Miles Burris, LB, Sand Diego State
6'2" 246 lbs

Made to be a Ted Thompson Packer and Ted seems to agree as they met at they reportedly spoke at the combine. Burris is a freak athlete and versitle weapon on defense. As a stand up rush-linebacker he's racked up 17.5 sacks over the last couple of years. I like his style too, he did a back-flip at his pro day. This would be a good get for the Packers. At worst he's one of the better special teamers in the draft.

Round Six:
Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon
6'3" 215 lbs

Pretty sure we're going to get ourselves a QB in this draft and based on what Ted looks for he'll look for a proven winner from a big-time program. Darron Thomas or Kellen Moore are my guesses. Darren is a great athlete and while his arm wasn't the greatest in college, neither was his mechanics. After McCarthy tears him down and rebuilds him over the next few years he could be the next starting-calibur packer backup.

Round Seven Pick A:
Adam Gettis, G/C, Iowa
6'4" 293 lbs

Athletic and undersized guard but not a guy you want to bet against. Looks the part of an NFL center if he's got the hands for it. Hard working fella, should be a tough cut in camp. Love a lineman from Iowa, zone-blocking capital of college football.

Pick B:
JR Sweezy, DT, NC State
6'5" 298 lbs

Big athletic with some speed and power. Played inside and outside, would give us a different look as a DE. He's really just a giant linebacker, like a poor man's JJ Watt. Also a high school heavy-weight wrestling champion.

Pick C:
Robert Blanton, CB/S
6'1" 208 lbs

If the perfect Dom Capers CB and the perfect TT CB had sex and produced a 7th round pick, it'd look a lot like Robert Blanton. Huge and physical while still able to change directions in space to cover water-bug type receivers in the slot without use of the sideline. Has some ball skills and could beat out Bush as our second slot guy in dime and in relief of Woodson. Either way he should contribute on special teams and has upside as a safety as well.

Pick D:
Vontaze Burfict, LB
6'1" 255 lbs

This pick could well be the famed Mr. Irrelevant but making it Burfict would at least make it interesting. I won't talk much about him as there is already a whole thread on what a psycho trouble maker he is. There is always the 1 in 100 chance that he learns to be a professional in Green Bay and becomes as memorable of an NFL player as he was a college player.

sharpe1027
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Curry would certainly seem to fill a hole.

woodbuck27
04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
3irty1 Congratulations on your hard work.

Pretty good too except I feel that OT Z. Sanders goes before pick 100.

Vontaze Burfect as your last pick.Your not any NFL GM. Nice.

Joemailman
04-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Curry would certainly seem to fill a hole.

Enough with his personal life. Can we just stick to football please?

sharpe1027
04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Enough with his personal life. Can we just stick to football please?

Are you sure? I can provide more details and pictures.

Freak Out
04-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Zebrie?

Joemailman
04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Round One:
6'3" 266 lbs

Not a ton of people have Vinny Curry pegged as a first rounder much less outside linebacker in a 3-4 but I'm thinking that's exactly where he belongs. Look at these numbers:

Forget the 40 time. That 10 yard split is much more important, and his isn't bad. McClellin was 1.57. When CMIII put up 1.49, that was the fastest ever for a 240+ pound player. I have to believe TT likes Curry, but I wonder if he has a 1st round grade or a high 2nd round grade.

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Forget the 40 time. That 10 yard split is much more important, and his isn't bad. McClellin was 1.57. When CMIII put up 1.49, that was the fastest ever for a 240+ pound player. I have to believe TT likes Curry, but I wonder if he has a 1st round grade or a high 2nd round grade.

Just looking at the Stat's:

Shea McClellin Stat's:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/66/1015593/index.html

Vinny Curry Stat's:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/388/1009689/index.html

If you compare these two prospects on STATS there is a clear winner.

woodbuck27
04-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Round One:
6'3" 266 lbs

Add this:

Conference USA

Marshall (http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/team/388/roster.html)

Add this:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/388/1009689/index.html

Do your own comparisons Packerrats....

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/index.html

Who do you like?

This Mock presents 'a BOLD' first round selection. Vinny Curry is 'a player'.

Bretsky
04-21-2012, 03:45 AM
I could live with this as I was pimiping Vinny months ago; curious how you came to that pick through ? Is it your gut TT smells a gem here........or.......do you think a run at OLB occurs before Green Bay Picks ?

Love the Iowa OL later; sure would like to see my buddy Russ instead of the QB you picked.....lol

Like the RB there as well

Nice job

Bretsky
04-21-2012, 03:53 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-could-draft-marshall-passrusher-9i53hbr-148348635.html

wist43
04-21-2012, 07:59 AM
I'd be shocked if TT took an OLB or DE in the first round.

If Curry or McClellin make it to our 2nd round pick then maybe... but I don't see Ted taking a front 7 player with our first pick.

I wasn't happy when Ted when O, O, and O in the first 3 rds last year when we had so many obvious deficiencies on defense; but in retrospect, I'm now beginning to think it is probably for the best. That is to say that we suck so completely at evaluating and drafting defense, that in the long run we're better off drafting offense early, and throwing 47 darts at defensive players in the later rounds in the hopes that 1 or 2 of them aren't flipping hamburgers next year.

I'd rather TT hit on another offensive player early than miss on a defender. Our defense is going to suck for a long, long time... so we might as well just live with it, and go into games knowing they are going to be 50-48 nail biters.

George Cumby
04-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Nice work 31. Thanks for putting in the time.

Brandon494
04-21-2012, 09:19 AM

If Curry or McClellin make it to our 2nd round pick then maybe... but I don't see Ted taking a front 7 player with our first pick.

I wasn't happy when Ted when O, O, and O in the first 3 rds last year when we had so many obvious deficiencies on defense; but in retrospect, I'm now beginning to think it is probably for the best. That is to say that we suck so completely at evaluating and drafting defense, that in the long run we're better off drafting offense early, and throwing 47 darts at defensive players in the later rounds in the hopes that 1 or 2 of them aren't flipping hamburgers next year.

I'd rather TT hit on another offensive player early than miss on a defender. Our defense is going to suck for a long, long time... so we might as well just live with it, and go into games knowing they are going to be 50-48 nail biters.

Guess your going to be shocked on draft day then. :)

3irty1
04-21-2012, 10:39 AM
I could live with this as I was pimiping Vinny months ago; curious how you came to that pick through ? Is it your gut TT smells a gem here........or.......do you think a run at OLB occurs before Green Bay Picks ?

Love the Iowa OL later; sure would like to see my buddy Russ instead of the QB you picked.....lol

Like the RB there as well

Nice job

I think he'll be higher on TT's board than most for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if he's higher on Ted's board than Perry. He certainly ticks plenty of boxes. He's got the first step, the motor, great size, insane strength, is fluid enough to cover, and forces fumbles all over the place. The only real reasons anyone had was they questioned his athleticism and level of competition. His pro day should squash any questions about his athleticism, and TT shouldn't get hung up on the fact that he played in conference USA since he a) dominated it and b) drafts football players and athletes rather than pure pass rushers. Clay got a very high grade from TT despite not a lot of pass rushing production or experience at all. All those tackles and those 7 forced fumbles last season show you're getting more than just a pass rusher with Curry.

3irty1
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Pretty good too except I feel that OT Z. Sanders goes before pick 100.

Maybe, the guy was also responsible for one of the most memorable blunders in college football history. I'm sure every team's representative asked him about this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV448r5f2qI

Turns out there is a reasonable explanation though. FSU line coach tells his guys to freeze in their stance if they think a defender went off-sides. Sanders thought their LDT jumped early so he froze, lord knows why he stayed there for so long. The strategy also got 5 or 6 offsides penalties against Florida in that game.

wist43
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Guess your going to be shocked on draft day then. :)

Perhaps "shocked" is too severe a word... what would really shock me is if the Packers actually drafted a front seven player that was actually a player.

That said, I have very little faith in the Packers as an organization to evaluate and draft defensive players - especially front seven players. They should stick to what they do well, i.e. WR's.

Draft another WR early figuring you'll let Jennings walk next year, then use that cap savings to invest in the front seven off the FA market. I really don't see the Packers improving their defense in the front seven thru the draft. Raji and Matthews were good picks, but that's 2 picks in the last 15 years. We need another Raji/Matthews draft, but we're more likely to end up with the likes of Harrell/Neal/Hawk/Lee.

TT will never write a check in FA though; so that means the Packers are going to suck for a very long time on defense. It is what it is... it's who the Packers are. We're pretty similar to the Patriots... but they seem to at least understand they have to try and invest in some $$ on defense.

What was that really fun stat from last year?? 6 sacks in the last 7 games?? I'm sure TT's plan of pencilling in Lattimore and signing Hargrove will solve that ;)

ND72
04-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I got into reading this thread, then got stuck on Joemailman's picture.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I wish for Thompson to draft Peter Konz, because he would sit on the bench all season long behind Jeff Saturday. It will be funny when Packer fan tries to spin it as a great pick.

ND72
04-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Nutz...that would be a great pik, we just have greater need.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Let me rephrase that, great pick in the second round

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Nutz...that would be a great pik, we just have greater need.

Ted Thompson don't draft on need motherfucker!

ND72
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Ted Thompson don't draft on need motherfucker!

That was my sarcastic point of view. I wouldn't doubt us taking Konz though, solid interior back up this year, starter next year.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 01:07 AM

Boy ohh boy! I hope your wrong.

I hope that's sarcasm.....or frustration. (-: