PDA

View Full Version : Underrated players. Guys I'm hoping for!

RashanGary
04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
These are guys who have been dominant performers, have good character and are excellent athletes. I think they should be drafted higher than the draft guys have them going.

Player: Derek Wolfe
Ideal NFL Position: 5 Technique DE
Strengths: Well rounded. Can play the run and pass equally well. Plays with a mean streak. Good balance and coordination for a guy his height. Ideal length and weight.Shown the ability to shove OL back into the QB's lap, stay square agaisnt the run and shoot gaps to make big plays behind the line of scrimmage.
Weaknesses: Late to bloom. Doesn't fit traditional DT or DE. Is a blend between the two, making his real value at 5 tech. Would be more of a situational player on 4-3 teams
JH's Round Prediction: Anywhere from Mid 1st to Late 2nd

Player: Markelle Martin
Ideal NFL Position: Free Safety
Strengths: Patrols the deep middle with confidence and consistency. Makes a lot of plays on the ball. Hard hitter. Fast. Instinctive. Student of the game. Leader. Consistent.
Weaknesses: Injury. Similar player to Nick Collins, but not as smooth with his change of direction, doesn’t seem to pick the ball off as often and not a dominant tackler, although a good one.
JH’s Round Prediction: Anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd.

Player: Tom Compton
Ideal NFL Position: Guard/RT
Strengths: Strong, Good lateral agility, Long time starter, athletic, Big, Dominated at his level
Weaknesses: Small school, take time to adjust to NFL blocking style, Will have to switch positions
JH’s round prediction: 3rd/4th

Player: Josh Robinson
Ideal NFL Position: CB
Strengths: Playmaker, extremely fast, good tackler, can play any style of defense
Weaknesses: 5’10 and 1/8th.
JH’s round prediction: Mid 1st/ Early 2nd

Joemailman
04-22-2012, 12:35 PM
There are simply too many good big defensive linemen in this draft for Wolfe to go that high.

Martin is a good player who could be the 3rd Safety drafted. Probably early 2nd round. TT might have an interest if he started to slide in the 2nd round.

I could see Compton if he's available in the 4th.

Robinson could be the 3rd CB taken, but TT doesn't seem interested in drafting short CB's. He'll be gone before TT would consider him.

pittstang5
04-22-2012, 01:53 PM
For the last couple years, I've done kinda the same thing: researched players I like and think could fit the Packers offensive or defensive schemes. Usually it's a simple list of players and then what round I think they could go in. I've actual hit on a couple players, but never on the round they go in (Usually I have players slated later than when TT has taken them - Jeremy Thompson was my first, T.J. Lang and Randall Cobb are two others that I can remember off the top of my head.

Justin - you must be reading my mind, because I have all those players on my radar except Josh Robison. Weird....too weird!

One player on my list:
Nick Jean-Babtiste
School: Baylor
Posiition: NT

I find this guy real intriguing and really can't pin point where he might go. Looks like he could be a FA or taken in the
7th. I think he'd be a great player to understudy Raji. The only knocks I can find on him is his speed (5.40 40 time) and he has shorter arms.

RashanGary
04-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Nice find, pitt.

Bretsky
04-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Malik Jackson
DE/DT Tennessee

Here is a guy I really like in round 7

DE Malik Jackson: No. 97 (6-5, 280)
A tall, athletically built defensive lineman who possesses a long wingspan and some real violence to his game when asked to use his hands to shed blocks. Coils up decently into his stance, but has a lot of leg and struggles to keep his base down and head up at times. Gets inconsistent with his pad level off the ball as a pass rusher because of it. When trying to shoot gaps at times does a nice job staying low and extending his arms into contact in order to create a jolt. However, for the most part his pad level comes up, head stays down and doesn’t use his long arms to protect himself. Can be jacked on contact and doesn’t create a push as a defensive tackle. Displays some natural athletic ability when asked to loop/stunt inside. However, hasn’t put it together with his pass rush arsenal yet. Is more of a linear guy only at this stage who lacks a counter/ change of direction ability. Nevertheless, consistently gets his long arms up in pass lanes and knocks a lot of throws down.

Displays impressive athletic ability though and when he does get his hands up off the line he can consistently keep himself clean and works like a bear in pursuit. Showcases great range off his frame for the position and demonstrates a good motor to go along with it. Exhibits a natural anchor as well for his size when asked to play the piano down the line. Is coordinated/powerful initially on his punch, can control blocks and work his way in pursuit. However, gets overextended and upright causing him to struggle with balance when asked to breakdown at make a play on the ball. Also, sees time at DE and looks much more coordinated when asked to get into contact, extend his arms and use his violent hands to shed. Lacks the anchor to hold up consistently inside vs. the downhill run game at the next level, as he can be easily sealed on contact. Needs to penetrate and win with his first step in order to be effective vs. the inside run. Holds up very well on the outside though, setting the edge, playing off blocks and working toward the football.

Impression: A great looking athlete. Has some real work to do from a technique standpoint and is playing out of position at Tennessee. However, has a lot of upside as a DE both in a 43 and 34 front in the NFL and looks like a really intriguing developmental defensive lineman at this stage with starting upside long term.