PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Version......Green Bay's 2011 Dream Draft...ROUNDS ONE TO FIVE SUMMATION

Bretsky
04-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Bretsky digs the entertainment value of some threads

I've been thinking how many times TT really has selected our dream pick in the rounds.
How many times can we look back at a draft and say, Man, TT nailed that one and picked the player better than any selected below him ? Off the top of my head you'd obviously look at Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, and perhaps Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings and BJ Raji. How many GM's out there have nailed this many playmakers to build a team around ??

And that got me thinking...since we have so many NFL Draft Rats in here......how's that 2011 draft looking after one year
Bretsky likes controversy........it ofen leads to some debate and provoking of thoughts........and this thread is for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK7Iko-qIgs

Homers Beware...............here comes my 2012 version of "This is who we Should have taken in 2011"

ROUND ONE

Pick- Sherrod- At first glance dude needs a lot of time to develop and didn't look nearly as good as the other OL selected in round one, and Quite Frankly, any of the OL taken in the first 60 Picks of the draft........drumroll of wishful pick
(I know what you guys are thinking I'm going to list..................BUt

Pick 32--Green Bay Selects Jabal Sheard, DL from Pittburg........all rookie team....looks like a future star. IF my memory serves me right.......Frtiz was pimping him last year...P.S. BROOKS REED WAS THE RUNNER UP

ROUND TWO
Pick 64- Randall Cobb- Dude looks the role of a player......good solid pick addressing ST needs and our future at WR.
but...........is there better ?
Pick 64- Green Bay Selects DEMARCO MURRAY....RB.........and yes......our RB need is gone for a long long time.....P.S. RUNNER UP...Justin Houston.....dude looks like a stud OLB if the character concerns don't come back

ROUND THREE
Pick 96 Alex Green- Dude looked ok while he was healthy.....jury is still out. Certainly the upside is there......HOWEVER
Pick 96..Green Bay Selects SAM ACHO- OLB- Texas...a Packerrate Favorite going into the draft. And we have our starter opposite of Clay Matthews

ROUND FOUR
GB selects Devin House--Upside but needs developing.
GB Selects DENARIUS MOORE- WR (went to Oakland). Dude is a sweet talent who gives AROD another legit target

ROUND FIVE

GB Selects DJ Williams...........while I like the dude's upside. IMO there was better
GB selected PERNELL MCPHEE--DL....6 Sacks....Dude looks like he might have a sweet future

1. Sheard DL
2. Murray RB
3. Acho OLB
4. Moore WR
5. McPhee DL

HOW'S THAT LOOK for the 2011 Draft.

Have I been fair to TT here ? Absolutely NOT....but with that being said....a fun excercise to do and I'd welcome input or opposition from others.

Pugger
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
I disagree with your assessment of Cobb. If he continues to improve as a return guy we might have finally found the guy to replace Desmond Howard. ;-)

Scott Campbell
04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I should have bought AAPL when Partial was pimping it.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 01:02 AM
That exercise took some thought and solid analysis B.

I'm sure that TT second guess's himself as most human beings must. It's all part and parcel for growing and improving one's position.

In fact we will see come the end of this week that Ted Thompson fully realizes our concerns on defense and will have drafted 'the talent' to begin the process of development that will bring our defense to a higher level.

Where our 'D' now stands is an obvious concern and embarrassment to Ted Thompson. He'll begin to fix it. He'll have 'for sure' relized the impact now of losing Cullen Jenkins and that pulling in the FA's he did this off season is at best a mere stop gap effort at best.

I expect to see Ted Thompson receive a top notch grade for this weeks draft.

GO Ted Thompson !

Bretsky
04-23-2012, 06:30 AM
I should have bought AAPL when Partial was pimping it.

CORRECT

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Round 1: I stick with Sherrod. I think he has a lot of talent and was slowed last year by MM's decision to try him at Guard. If he recovers fully from his injury, he and Bulaga will be bookends for 10 years.

Round 2. I think Cobb was a steal and will be one of the most versatile offensive weapons in the NFL once his playing time increases.

Round 3. I would have liked Acho here. Some feel TT reached for Green and could have gotten him later.

Round 4. Since I'm sticking with Cobb in Round 2, I would not have taken Moore. I'm okay with with the pick of House. Maybe I would have taken Green here if available.

Round 5. McPhee would have been a good pick here.

3irty1
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
1st Round: I was very happy with this pick at the time. In retrospect there are options here that would have won us the superbowl IMO. The team's biggest need was at OLB (and still is) but the options weren't first round quality and with the damn CBA BS of last year the team really needed to draft an OT as an insurance policy because Clifton was a major questionmark and they weren't allowed to see him. Sherrod has been a disappointment for us so far. The best option to fill this spot would have been Orlando Franklin, OT who was drafted 14 picks later. Sheard had a great year no doubt but would have to play OLB for us where I don't like his fit. There are better fits to be had later in this very draft.

2nd Round: Cobb was a good get, and the second highest player on my board at the time. The first highest player? Justin Houston. Cobb will be a great player for us and is a perfect drop-in replacement for DD in the slot as well as giving us a big weapon on special teams. Justin Houston would have made us a superbowl team. I didn't understand his fall last year but as it turns out he was a first round talent for the last pick of the second round had we taken him. To be honest I would have loved him in the first round.

3rd Round: The highest player on my board at the time of this pick was Roy Helu and that would have been an awesome pick. I loved his ZBS fit and I guess so did the Skins.

4th Round: It's pretty easy to pick out the TT cornerbacks from a draft and I did have House near the top of my board when he was taken so I liked the pick. However if we could go back Karl Klug, DT would have been a steal. Klug is a super undersized DT at just 270 but has the explosion and body control to fill in for Jenkins in our 2-4 on 3rd down. Great player that nobody talks about even after racking up 7 sacks as a rookie, most among rookie interior lineman.

5th Round: We took DJ Moore, which may still wind up being the best pick here but both of Bretsky's guys of Moore and McPhee were available here and could have been huge gets. Actually I think had we landed both Klug and McPhee the Packers Defense would have been top 10... that's how much we miss an interior pass rush. On my draft board the top player available was Dwayne Harris, WR, who didn't catch a ball last year.... Oops.

After this round, the Thompson picks look great. DJ Smith looks like the BPA even in retrospect. Ryan Taylor could well be a major find as well.