PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Beach/N. Carolina

GrnBay007
04-22-2012, 11:31 PM
We are flying to DC this summer and then I'm thinking of renting a car and driving to Virginia Beach area and North Carolina. We have a host/tour guide for DC ....but what about Virgina Beach and N. Carolina? Anyone familiar? Anything that's a must to see when there?

HowardRoark
04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Crazy people live in Virginia Beach; and watch out for falling jets.

mraynrand
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.357900!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Just gorge yourself on the seafood.

MJZiggy
04-23-2012, 05:35 PM

That one already fell. Go to the beach in Virginia Beach and where are you going in NC? I had a good time at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville once, but that's probably because I was busy getting married. We went to Chimney Rock for that. It was a long time ago, but I'd like to believe Chimney Rock is still there.

Freak Out
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Don't bank on it baby. Seismic and tectonic activity might have knocked that rock over during that eons that have past since you were married.

GrnBay007
04-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Well...a little story behind this trip...kind of embarrassing actually and a bit corny but oh well. There were 3 "firsts" I always wanted to experience with my kids. I wanted to be with them the first time they went to Lambeau Field to see the Packers play and we've done that and it was a great trip (all 3 of them), I want to be with them the first time they fly (which I guess is unusual this day and age for someone their ages to have not flown) and I want to be with them the first time they see the ocean (....again probably unusual they haven't at their age) But the old saying is true....time flies!!! Man, is that true! I wish I would have had the money when they were younger, but I didn't and the last years it's been really hard to plan around their sports. And believe me, the HS coaches get downright pissy if they miss stuff. So this summer is our last chance before my daughter goes off to college so I'm just going to plan it and if the baseball coach sits my son for a few games so be it!!

So any suggestions are much appreciated....and I'm not stuck on Virginia Beach/N. Carolina. Anything within driving distance from DC is cool with me as long we hit an ocean! (and exciting things for teens is a plus!) :)

Little Whiskey
04-24-2012, 10:42 AM
That's pretty cool 007. I can say that I've been with my kids for each of those firsts, with the exception of lambeau. They haven't been there yet. My kids are a bit younger than yours. 4 and 7.

I've not been to virgina beach, but I am in the process of planning our trip to Maine. We've been up there quite a bit. its an every other year kinda trip. My kids have only been there once but loved it and have begged to go back. We rent a cabin on the ocean and explore the town. (we always go somwhere different). this year for an added adventure, we are thinking of driving! I'm sure that will be the highlite of the week!

Freak Out
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure about the teen thing.....but the eastern Shore of Maryland was pretty cool. My wife is from there so I have visited a few times. DC is fun....the monuments and museums are great of course. One of the best beer bars in the east as well. :)

MJZiggy
04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Not sure about the teen thing.....but the eastern Shore of Maryland was pretty cool. My wife is from there so I have visited a few times. DC is fun....the monuments and museums are great of course. One of the best beer bars in the east as well. :)

And yet we've never managed to get to one of the best beer bars in the east, though we've been talking about it for years...

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
So I remember there being an amazing resturant there called the Carnivore. It is a Brazillian BBQ place where they bring out course after course of meat on swords. If you want some they will cut it onto your plate. Go very hungry and walk out with two or three days worth of food in your stomach!!! (It may have been Myrtle Beach as well sorry if it was).

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 03:51 PM

LOL X alot !! Great stuff HowardRoark.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM

yes now that's beter humour. humor.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
That one already fell. Go to the beach in Virginia Beach and where are you going in NC? I had a good time at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville once, but that's probably because I was busy getting married. We went to Chimney Rock for that. It was a long time ago, but I'd like to believe Chimney Rock is still there.

Chimney Rock should have a long half life.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
So I remember there being an amazing resturant there called the Carnivore. It is a Brazillian BBQ place where they bring out course after course of meat on swords. If you want some they will cut it onto your plate. Go very hungry and walk out with two or three days worth of food in your stomach!!! (It may have been Myrtle Beach as well sorry if it was).

a) You musn't eat red meat at Myrtle Beach?

b) You musn't put two or three days worth of food in your stomach?

c) You musn't put two or three days worth of food in your stomach at Myrtle Beach?

d) or all of the above?

Brando19
04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I've been to Myrtle Beach about 15 times...it's great...but it's in South Carolina. Virginia Beach is nice. It's very clean and there's a boardwalk along the beach. The only problem...there's not alot of good restaurants around.

GrnBay007
05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Dewey Beach, DE ......anyone been there? Looks really nice.

MJZiggy
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Dewey Beach, DE ......anyone been there? Looks really nice.

There's a whole strip that runs from Bethany north to Rehoboth. There are beaches all along the way. I really like Bethany and Dewey Beach is right near it.

GrnBay007
05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
There's a whole strip that runs from Bethany north to Rehoboth. There are beaches all along the way. I really like Bethany and Dewey Beach is right near it.

Cool!! About 2 hrs. from DC ? ...and looks like there is a lot to do. Parasailing, very reasonably priced. Gotta have some of the action-type stuff for the boy or he will be bored...lol

Beaches pretty clean?

Looking forward to fresh seafood!! Any suggestions on restaurants?

Wonder if they have fishing boats to take you out. Can't remember where it was I was researching that and they actually cleaned and packaged any fish you caught so you could bring it home.

GrnBay007
05-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Looking at being in DC over the 4th. I would imagine the 4th celebration has to be pretty good there.

MJZiggy
05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Cool!! About 2 hrs. from DC ? ...and looks like there is a lot to do. Parasailing, very reasonably priced. Gotta have some of the action-type stuff for the boy or he will be bored...lol

Beaches pretty clean?

Looking forward to fresh seafood!! Any suggestions on restaurants?

Wonder if they have fishing boats to take you out. Can't remember where it was I was researching that and they actually cleaned and packaged any fish you caught so you could bring it home.

A bit more than two hours depending on traffic. The beaches are clean. The girls and I go out shopping in Rehoboth every November and we usually eat at the chains, but there is a great breakfast place in Bethany just off route one near the beach. Turn toward the beach when you come to the totem pole and it's on the left just past the bookstore. IIRC it's called Penguin's. I can just about guarantee that Ocean City would have charter services, but I'm not sure about Bethany and Dewey. You can probably find some in Rehoboth if you strike out in Dewey.

The 4th here is a pretty big deal--especially at the Mall. There are a ton of different ways to do it. I have friends coming in that week, so I will likely be down in that mess myself. Do not attempt to drive anywhere near the Mall on the 4th. Take Metro. You can get just about anywhere downtown on it.

GrnBay007
05-09-2012, 12:39 AM
My niece lives very close to the Nationals baseball stadium. Not sure what that means? lol Worth going to see a game?

MJZiggy
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
My niece lives very close to the Nationals baseball stadium. Not sure what that means? lol Worth going to see a game?

They've been playing well. I guess it depends on whether you like baseball. The stadium is very nice too.