PDA

View Full Version : Packers are releasing OT Chad Clifton today

sheepshead
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Follow
Packers are releasing OT Chad Clifton today. Failed a physical. Had back surgery in the off-season. Uncertain whether he will play again.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Follow
Packers are releasing OT Chad Clifton today. Failed a physical. Had back surgery in the off-season. Uncertain whether he will play again.

WOW sheepshead if that's 'a fact' that will certainly set Packer nation a buzz so close to this draft and shift attention to TT's need at LT.

Tony Oday
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Not a big loss and no desperate need at LT. AR has such a fast release with WRs and a TE that can get open fast.

Primary need is a freaking pass rush...think TT put that on Craigslist?

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Great Packer. Great career. Good luck Chad.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
If its the end of his career its unfortunate, but after 11 years and some very hard wear and tear, he earned every penny.

That is at least one Packer draft pick that will be an OT. I hope Sherrod will be healthy.

Rutnstrut
04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Not a big loss and no desperate need at LT. AR has such a fast release with WRs and a TE that can get open fast.

Rodgers will be lucky to be alive with a downgrade at center and now possibly tackle.

MadScientist
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Not surprising that he is done, but Sherrod's injury leaves us thin at OT.

Yet another need to fill in the draft.

Patler
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Rodgers will be lucky to be alive with a downgrade at center and now possibly tackle.

Downgrade at tackle? Why, is Newhouse gone, too? Or Bulaga? Losing Clifton is not a downgrade from last year, since Clifton barely played last year anyway.

I'm not so sure Saturday for Wells is a downgrade in 2012, either. Long term, maybe due to age, but Saturday's NFL pedigree is better than Wells'. There are a lot of conflicting reports as to if Saturday had started to show his age or not.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM

I had a hunch yesterday and moreso with this info. today. That Ted Thompson will 'in fact' select at LT in this draft.

Guiness
04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
The training crew finally ran out of tape. I guess there's little chance Schefter is wrong, eh?

He was a warrior, to be sure, a true dancing bear.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Downgrade at tackle? Why, is Newhouse gone, too? Or Bulaga? Losing Clifton is not a downgrade from last year, since Clifton barely played last year anyway.

I.m not so sure Saturday for Wells is a downgrade in 2012, either. Long term, maybe due to age, but Saturday's NFL pedigree is better than Wells'. There are a lot of conflicting reports as to if Saturday had started to show his age or not.

OK on our center till he doesn't demonstrate all that some believe he will. The fact we are replacing bona fide ( OUR Pro Bowler) at Center with an unknown doesn't at all bother some of you. OK ....we'll see.

The LT position.You can claim that Chad Clifton was injured most of 2011 and that Aaron Rodgers didn't suffer as a result in terms of pressure or contact. That those who stood in for Chad clifton got it done but do you believe that? Some hee feel very insecure for our status at LT.

Secondly we are talking 'drafting a LT' and this season Chad Clifton isn't at all 'in the wings'..... on the roster.

Ted Thompson has to give this serious thought. He's the GM. He drafts the prospects.

We 'only' sit before our keyboards and analyze to see need and hope that this draft ... TT fills for need.

Today it's changed and 'NOT so much all about defense and NEED' and maybe a WR or flyer at RB.

We have a veteren LT supposedly retiring.

We seem to be losing a good Packer...Chad Clifton.

That leave 'only one' from an era as original Packers. Donald Driver.

He won't be retiring this season. That doesn't mean he'll se another snap as a Packer.

Rutnstrut
04-23-2012, 11:42 AM

I'm not so sure Saturday for Wells is a downgrade in 2012, either. Long term, maybe due to age, but Saturday's NFL pedigree is better than Wells'. There are a lot of conflicting reports as to if Saturday had started to show his age or not.

Downgrade possibly, depending on who TT tries to plug in there. Downgrade is maybe the wrong word, but a for sure hit to the depth of the O-line. IMO Saturday is a downgrade from Wells and it will be very apparent this season. I really hope I'm wrong on that, but doubt it.

Smeefers
04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't think Jeff Saturday is an unknown, he was Peyton's favorite lineman and Peyton Manning HATES linemen.

I think Clifton was out a majority of last season, and with Newhouse in, we had one of the most devistating offenses in the league. No drop off. He could be better, but he's not horrible. I'd call him average.

It sucks losing cliffy, but he's been on his way out the door for the last 3 or 4 years. It's just taken him this long to finally break down past the point of repair.

ND72
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
we still forget about Sherrod. I know he broke is leg, and I know it looked bad, but I read 2 pieces of info over the weekend where his doctor said his leg is already strong enough to probably do limited participation, and will be ready for july camp for sure. I like Sherrod. I think the lockout hurt a guy like him, but a full camp could be huge for him. i thought he looked good when he got extended amounts of PT. Newhouse could be a fill-gap type guy that was OK, but I still think Sherrod is our guy. I'm not overly worried about this, as this was kind of expected on my part anyway that Chad would be done.

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Not surprising that he is done, but Sherrod's injury leaves us thin at OT.

Yet another need to fill in the draft.

MM thinks Sherrod will be ready to go at training camp. TT probably will draft a tackle somewhere. He almost always does, but it's not a major immediate need.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
we still forget about Sherrod. I know he broke is leg, and I know it looked bad, but I read 2 pieces of info over the weekend where his doctor said his leg is already strong enough to probably do limited participation, and will be ready for july camp for sure. I like Sherrod. I think the lockout hurt a guy like him, but a full camp could be huge for him. i thought he looked good when he got extended amounts of PT. Newhouse could be a fill-gap type guy that was OK, but I still think Sherrod is our guy. I'm not overly worried about this, as this was kind of expected on my part anyway that Chad would be done.

All of Packer Nation hopes your right.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 11:54 AM

It would be huge for him to get a full camp at one position (please, please, please select another OT to swap around at Guard).

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Newhouse proved he could play, although he did struggle, but it was a new position for him, believe his rookie year he was moved from right tackle to guard and then reserved most of the season. I think Newhouse will improve to be a decent left tackle, he just doesn't have that length that you look for in prototypical left tackles.

I like Newhouse, and there will be a battle for starting left tackle in 2012. If Sherrod doesn't make it back 100% in July, I could see the Packers moving Bulaga to the left for the entire year, make the change right away though.

Chad Clifton was an above average lineman, He wasn't the hardest working guy in the business, relied a lot on his gifts from god. Could have been really special if he worked a little bit harder, and had a meaner demeanor.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
It would be huge for him to get a full camp at one position (please, please, please select another OT to swap around at Guard).

Ted Thompson will surely hear your appeal.

Then again ...... soon we'll see so much more TRUTH.

At Packerrats we believe in Ted Thompson. He is..... 'the Green Bay Packers'.

woodbuck27
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Newhouse proved he could play, although he did struggle, but it was a new position for him, believe his rookie year he was moved from right tackle to guard and then reserved most of the season. I think Newhouse will improve to be a decent left tackle, he just doesn't have that length that you look for in prototypical left tackles.

I like Newhouse, and there will be a battle for starting left tackle in 2012. If Sherrod doesn't make it back 100% in July, I could see the Packers moving Bulaga to the left for the entire year, make the change right away though.

Chad Clifton was an above average lineman, He wasn't the hardest working guy in the business, relied a lot on his gifts from god. Could have been really special if he worked a little bit harder, and had a meaner demeanor.

I wonder how much Warren Sapp had to do with Chad Clifton's meanness?

Brett Favre certainly appreciated CC's play at LT.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Clifton was one of the best pure pass blockers in the league, he could have been Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden type player, but he wasn't because he never improved as a run blocker, was never nasty. Sapp didn't have shit to do with it.

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
This really is the best thing for the team IMHO. Clifton was really no better than Newhouse last year, and there's every reason to think Newhouse might still have some upside, whereas Clifton had definitely seen his best days. If Sherrod is healthy, I'm pretty comfortable with an OL of Sherrod, Lang, Saturday, Sitton and Bulaga, with Newhouse the top backup at RT, LT and LG. Still would like to see an upgrade at C/RG backup. EDS is okay, but barely.

wist43
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

That's just crazy talk... an offensive lineman that only plays one position??

If 1 guy can play all 5 positions, then of course we only need 1 offensive linemen on the roster - which of course leaves more roster spots for 5 TE's and 4 FB's. Still no room for defensive linemen though... gonna have to get by with 4 of those ;)

MadScientist
04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
OK on our center till he doesn't demonstrate all that some believe he will. The fact we are replacing bona fide ( OUR Pro Bowler) at Center with an unknown doesn't at all bother some of you. OK ....we'll see.

The LT position.You can claim that Chad Clifton was injured most of 2011 and that Aaron Rodgers didn't suffer as a result in terms of pressure or contact. That those who stood in for Chad clifton got it done but do you believe that? Some hee feel very insecure for our status at LT.
I think most of us hoped Clifton could gut out another season, but it is not a huge surprise that he is gone.

Ted Thompson has to give this serious thought. He's the GM. He drafts the prospects.
That is TT's job, and TT does his job. Weather he drafts one and if he does, which round will depend on a lot of things that he analyzes. We will find out this week.

We seem to be losing a good Packer...Chad Clifton.
That leave 'only one' from an era as original Packers. Donald Driver.
The post SB31, pre Sherman era isn't really one to be all that nostalgic about. Clifton had a great career and got a ring with the Packers. Can't ask for too much more than that. Hope the injuries don't cause him too much pain and suffering the rest of his life.

3irty1
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Clifton was a supertalent and very fun to watch, I'm glad he managed to duct-tape himself together for these last few seasons while some of Ted's projects finally started to pan-out. The future looks bright at LT IMO.

Brandon494
04-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Obvious cut, his salary will pay for the whole rookie class. Tackle is still a need but I don't see us taking one until the later rounds. While Newhouse was far from an Pro Bowler he played pretty well for stepping in at a new position without any training cap. Also the guy who said Saturday would be a downgrade over Wells is crazy, he might be old but he's still one of the best in the league. I think the logical move would be to switch Buluga to LT and Newhouse to RT until we figure out if Sherrod will be healthy enough to play. Short arms be damned Buluga has the talent to play LT.

gbgary
04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Great Packer. Great career. Good luck Chad.

this!

mraynrand
04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
You gotta believe Bulaga wants to show his chops at LT. Especially with that second contract looming in a couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been spending and will spend a lot of time in the offseason getting himself accustomed to playing LT.

mraynrand
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
That is TT's job, and TT does his job. Weather he drafts one and if he does, which round will depend on a lot of things that he analyzes. We will find out this week.

This is the worst spell of whether we've had in weeks.

sheepshead
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Obvious cut, his salary will pay for the whole rookie class. Tackle is still a need but I don't see us taking one until the later rounds. While Newhouse was far from an Pro Bowler he played pretty well for stepping in at a new position without any training cap. Also the guy who said Saturday would be a downgrade over Wells is crazy, he might be old but he's still one of the best in the league. I think the logical move would be to switch Buluga to LT and Newhouse to RT until we figure out if Sherrod will be healthy enough to play. Short arms be damned Buluga has the talent to play LT.

Yup

3irty1
04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I bet they leave things the way they are.

Newhouse is worse than Bulaga but LT is his best position. Bulaga's best position is probably RT. Might seem funny not to have your best tackle on the left but I think this gets the most of each player. Also I like having Bulaga in front of Rodgers on bootlegs.

Smidgeon
04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
The training crew finally ran out of tape. I guess there's little chance Schefter is wrong, eh?

He was a warrior, to be sure, a true dancing bear.

I think the tape finally ran out of Chad Clifton. There was no more to wrap up. :(

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Now he'll have more free time to go fishing with Warren Sapp.

ND72
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
I saw it mentioned a few times, but have all of you thought about Clifton's health? How many surgeries has he had? I know we all fall back on the hip, but I can remember him having ankle, knee, hip, and back surgeries. You want to talk about life expectancy, I feel sorry for that man. He deserves every dollar he has made, because he's gonna pay for it later.
The worst injury I had was tearing my deltoid muscle, which was a stupid mistake for not going to the trainers about it, but that cost me a ton as far as a college player. I went from a 19 year old bench pressing 225, 25 times, then in spring ball tearing my shoulder, not reporting it, to reporting in the fall and doing 225, 14 times. Injuries are crazy, and I can't imagine having a lifestyle where every off season I'm having some form of extensive major surgeries.

I truthfully never thought of Bulaga at LT, and now you've sparked my interest. I think Bulaga is a perfect RT, especially next to Sitton. I like the prospect of Sherrod, Lang, Saturday, Sitton, Bulaga...with the idea that some day we'll have someone built into the C position after Saturday. As long as Sherrod comes back healthy and ready to go.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I saw it mentioned a few times, but have all of you thought about Clifton's health? How many surgeries has he had? I know we all fall back on the hip, but I can remember him having ankle, knee, hip, and back surgeries. You want to talk about life expectancy, I feel sorry for that man. He deserves every dollar he has made, because he's gonna pay for it later.
The worst injury I had was tearing my deltoid muscle, which was a stupid mistake for not going to the trainers about it, but that cost me a ton as far as a college player. I went from a 19 year old bench pressing 225, 25 times, then in spring ball tearing my shoulder, not reporting it, to reporting in the fall and doing 225, 14 times. Injuries are crazy, and I can't imagine having a lifestyle where every off season I'm having some form of extensive major surgeries.

I truthfully never thought of Bulaga at LT, and now you've sparked my interest. I think Bulaga is a perfect RT, especially next to Sitton. I like the prospect of Sherrod, Lang, Saturday, Sitton, Bulaga...with the idea that some day we'll have someone built into the C position after Saturday. As long as Sherrod comes back healthy and ready to go.

Like Schlereth, he was having knee operations almost each year. Best thing he can do now is lose the weight.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
That's just crazy talk... an offensive lineman that only plays one position??

If 1 guy can play all 5 positions, then of course we only need 1 offensive linemen on the roster - which of course leaves more roster spots for 5 TE's and 4 FB's. Still no room for defensive linemen though... gonna have to get by with 4 of those ;)

Josh Sitton stands a lonely watch against your point. :lol:

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
FWIW, it's official:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-release-T-Clifton/c7a2f0df-ba32-4448-9b10-f585e4aae74b

“Chad is a great Packer and has been an integral part of our success over the past 12 seasons,” Thompson said. “He was a member of some of the most prolific offenses in team history, but more importantly, he is a great person and teammate. We thank Chad for all that he has given the Packers on the field and in the community and wish him and his family well.”

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Ted's got a nice way of saying goodbye to the long term vets.

mraynrand
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
“Chad is a great Packer and has been an integral part of our success over the past 12 seasons,” Thompson said. “He was a member of some of the most prolific offenses in team history, but more importantly, he is a great person and teammate. We thank Chad for all that he has given the Packers on the field and in the community and wish him and his family well.”

Count me as not liking this at all. Let me demonstrate why:

“______(insert Packer offensive player's name) is a great Packer and has been an integral part of our success over the past __(Insert seasons played) seasons,” Thompson said. “He was a member of some of the most prolific offenses in team history, but more importantly, he is a great person and teammate. We thank ______(insert Packer offensive player's name) for all that he has given the Packers on the field and in the community and wish him and his family well.”

pulled from the General Manager goodbye letter archives.

Maybe a little something unique and personal in there, like: "The Entire Packer organization and fan base really enjoyed watching Chad come back from his hip injury and take it to Sapp and the Bucs the following year" or "I recall the game at K.C. in 2007, when Chad completely neutralized and humiliated Jared Allen, turning him (Allen) into a spiteful crybaby in the Chief's lockerroom afterwards. That was just another 'day at the office' for Chad."

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Maybe a little something unique and personal in there, like: "The Entire Packer organization and fan base really enjoyed watching Chad come back from his hip injury and take it to Sapp and the Bucs the following year" or "I recall the game at K.C. in 2007, when Chad completely neutralized and humiliated Jared Allen, turning him (Allen) into a spiteful crybaby in the Chief's lockerroom afterwards. That was just another 'day at the office' for Chad."

That sounds like something I would say. And I don't think you want me running the draft.

sheepshead
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

ask one of these guys:
Public Relations

Jason Wahlers, Director of Public Relations
Aaron Popkey, Director of Public Affairs
Sarah Quick, Assistant Director of Public Relations
Tom Fanning, Communications Manager
Jonathan Butnick, Public Relations Coordinator
Brett Brecheisen, Public Relations Intern
Stephanie Schallhorn, Public Relations/Corporate Communications Intern

Tony Oday
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Bulaga is a good RT keep him there with Sitton and bad ass old man Sunday hes good ;)

LT is not a need, they will draft a lineman like evey other draft ever but not to replace a starter at all.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I pretty much agree with everything Nutz wrote in this thread. Provided Sherrod's healthy, I'm good with Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, and probably an OT in the draft. I'm not sure why anybody would have been counting on Clifton this year. Hell, I'm still not counting on Driver this year. He might make the team because they aren't in bad shape with the cap, but if Gurley or Borel show anything, Driver might be gone as well.

Cheesehead Craig
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I pretty much agree with everything Nutz wrote in this thread. Provided Sherrod's healthy, I'm good with Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, and probably an OT in the draft. I'm not sure why anybody would have been counting on Clifton this year. Hell, I'm still not counting on Driver this year. He might make the team because they aren't in bad shape with the cap, but if Gurley or Borel show anything, Driver might be gone as well.

Agree as well. Clifton had a hell of a career.

pittstang5
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Sad to see ole' Cliffy go, but you can't complain about his career with the Packers. I never heard anything bad from him and even when Bulaga was drafted as his heir apparent, I remember Clifton saying he would take Bulaga under his wing and help him out as much as he could.

I too thought moving Bulaga to LT would be a good move last season when Newhouse was struggling early on. That's what he was originally drafted for - and I don't buy the arm length crap. I guess the coaches didn't want to mess up a good thing since he took over for Tausch and didn't miss a beat. I'm not a fan of Newhouse and didn't like what I saw from Sherrod early on, but Sherrod's performance or rather lack there of, could have been from the lock out. If Sherrod is on the right track and sources say he is, it'll be an interesting Training camp battle for the LT spot. As much as I'd still like to see Bulaga compete for the LT spot, my gut says the coaches will keep him at RT.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Agree as well. Clifton had a hell of a career.

Indeed. Good luck Clifton! Hopefully, all of the injuries don't take a toll on his regular day-to-day life.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Sad to see ole' Cliffy go, but you can't complain about his career with the Packers. I never heard anything bad from him and even when Bulaga was drafted as his heir apparent, I remember Clifton saying he would take Bulaga under his wing and help him out as much as he could.

I too thought moving Bulaga to LT would be a good move last season when Newhouse was struggling early on. That's what he was originally drafted for - and I don't buy the arm length crap. I guess the coaches didn't want to mess up a good thing since he took over for Tausch and didn't miss a beat. I'm not a fan of Newhouse and didn't like what I saw from Sherrod early on, but Sherrod's performance or rather lack there of, could have been from the lock out. If Sherrod is on the right track and sources say he is, it'll be an interesting Training camp battle for the LT spot. As much as I'd still like to see Bulaga compete for the LT spot, my gut says the coaches will keep him at RT.

I'm actually intrigued by Newhouse's potential. I thought he looked like a guy who has a chance at being pretty good. I liked him more than Sherrod, but I realize Sherrod needs some time to get stronger and adapt to the pros.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope the support group I am apparently part of for Sherrod has better luck than with the last case: Colledge.

much smaller numbers than I would have thought, still, he will be very good for 8 years barring Warren Sapp's unretirement.

Kiwon
04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Clifton was a warrior. Anyone who survives 12 years of banging with other 300-pounders (and cheapshot scum like Warren Sapp) deserves a ton of respect. He's battled injuries but been a solid LT for Favre and Rodgers. I know they appreciate him.

Maybe he'll play elsewhere and make a little more money before he hangs 'em up. LT with his experienced resume will certainly draw interest.

mission
04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Great Packer, sad that he couldn't rebound but it's definitely better for the Packers as a whole. Even though Cliffy didn't practice a lot, just the extra snaps for the young guys should make a good difference.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Ted's got a nice way of saying goodbye to the long term vets.
ya, like locking them out of the building and trading them to the NY JEts.

The bad karma is going to come back and get TT. Good players don't want to come to GB now. I hate TT.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm leery of Sherrod just because of the injury. I hope he can come back and win a starting job. It will hurt his development/confidence if he is less than full strength for training camp.

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 08:13 PM

The bad karma is going to come back and get TT. Good players don't want to come to GB now. I hate TT.

I think that avatar is starting to affect you.

Patler
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
At the start of 2011, an article stated that Clifton was the oldest starting___(either LT or tackle, can't remember which)___ in the league. Who would have ever thought with all of the injuries he has had? 3 or 4 years ago in the offseason he had "procedures" on both shoulders and both knees, and those were just a ew of the total in his career. Great career, well played.

But, no matter how you look at it, not having him for 2012 is not much of a downgrade from 2011, even for depth at tackle, because Clifton was not available for any purpose for most of the 2011 season. Essentially, they played without him in 2011, so 2012 will be no different except that Newhouse has a lot more experience and Sherrod at least got his feet wet last year.

Releasing Clifton will have little impact compared to 2011.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm leery of Sherrod just because of the injury. I hope he can come back and win a starting job. It will hurt his development/confidence if he is less than full strength for training camp.

It's a simple broken leg - about as low risk of an injury as there is.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM

I lobbed that softball up there and only Harlan took the big swing. :lol:

Bretsky
04-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the memories Chad; great career

Worst case is another year with the Marshmellow
Best case is PB's project steps up his game to where the 2nd round OL played last yr :)

King Friday
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Cliffy...great career man! You were a hell of a LT. Next stop...Packer HOF.

Now, for the reality of the impact to the 2012 roster...none really. Clifton already could not be counted on for 2012. He couldn't stay healthy for more than 4 games at a time, which is why anyone with half a brain knew he was going to be released. I'm sure TT will take at least one OL prospect in the draft...plus a couple undrafted signings.

wist43
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I've already written Sherrod off as a bust... if he's your starting LT, ARod might as well book his rehab schedule for September now.

If it's based on performance, and giving the team the best chance to win?? Newhouse will be the starter. If it's based on draft status, ARod is a dead man.

Brandon494
04-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Bust after one season without having a training camp as a rookie?

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2012, 10:26 PM
I've already written Sherrod off as a bust... if he's your starting LT, ARod might as well book his rehab schedule for September now.

If it's based on performance, and giving the team the best chance to win?? Newhouse will be the starter. If it's based on draft status, ARod is a dead man.

wist is back. Super Bowl one year and 15-2 the next, and it's like we are the Browns. Sherrod has talent. He has the athletic ability to start in the NFL. I'll give the young man a couple of more years before writing him off as a bust.

wist43
04-23-2012, 10:49 PM

Busted leg, looked pathetic... wow, he was bad.

Besides, I've gone back and looked at Newhouse some more, and the more I look at him, the more I like him. Isn't always pretty getting it done, but he is fairly dependable - dependable enough that I'm okay with him at LT.

If Sherrod beats out Newhouse on performance, then bully for us; but if Sherrod is handed the job on draft status?? I have a problem with that. I thought Newhouse performed pretty well and deserves to be pencilled in as the starter.

wist43
04-23-2012, 10:55 PM
wist is back. Super Bowl one year and 15-2 the next, and it's like we are the Browns. Sherrod has talent. He has the athletic ability to start in the NFL. I'll give the young man a couple of more years before writing him off as a bust.

Wait til I get home from hospital in a few days... whacked out on every pain killer known to man. I plan on being completely vegged during the draft :)

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Besides, I've gone back and looked at Newhouse some more, and the more I look at him, the more I like him. Isn't always pretty getting it done, but he is fairly dependable - dependable enough that I'm okay with him at LT.

If Sherrod beats out Newhouse on performance, then bully for us; but if Sherrod is handed the job on draft status?? I have a problem with that. I thought Newhouse performed pretty well and deserves to be pencilled in as the starter.

I'm working from memory here, but didn't Sherrod break his leg when Newhouse whiffed on his guy and he plowed into Sherrod from the backside?

Scott Campbell
04-23-2012, 11:06 PM

And he plays a position where you often see a huge second year progression.

Smidgeon
04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
And he plays a position where you often see a huge second year progression.

At least you do on tackles drafted by the Packers in the first round within the last two years... ;)

Pugger
04-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Of course. To some folks if a guy isn't All-Pro right out of the box he's a bust. :roll:

Guiness
04-24-2012, 12:47 AM

tough crowd...

pbmax
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm working from memory here, but didn't Sherrod break his leg when Newhouse whiffed on his guy and he plowed into Sherrod from the backside?

Yes and no. Newhouse did get a glove or two on him and pushed him wide, barely. Against a quality DE like Hali, that isn't a sin. His bigger failure was to stop. Hali rolled to get up and dived into the back of Sherrod. If Newhouse has sat on him, Sherrod would have been fine. If I was a big fat lineman, I would relish any chance to dive on a smaller pass rushing DE just to make him sore and have to push me off to get up.

Now I am angry about that hit all over again.

Patler
04-24-2012, 08:10 AM
What bothered me about Sherrod's performance last year was that he seemed completely overwhelmed at times, and more importantly didn't always look like a scrapper who would do anything and everything to stop a rusher. What made both Clifton and Tauscher such good passblockers was that even when they did get beat, they would get a small piece of a guy, shove him as he went past, lunge at him, do anything to divert his path to the QB.

Colledge drove me crazy because of the number of times he gotten beaten cleanly, without getting a hand on the guy. I saw a little of that from Sherrod last year, indecision that seemed to cause him to freeze, which is the last thing you want an athlete to do. Better to do something, even if wrong, than to do nothing at all.

Hopefully, that will all change this year.

RashanGary
04-24-2012, 09:20 AM

I agree with this. Both Sherrod and Newhouse came from schools that do not practice pro style blocking fundamentals. It's a bigger transition for those guys. Newhouse took year one to get his fundamentals somewhat in order. Year two he was like a rookie from a big 10 school. Year 3, he'll be maturing in his technique and in his physical make-up.

There is a lot of reason for optimism on Newhouse. He's shown he can kinda hack it early in his career, shown big improvement and has a trend of play pointing up.

Sherrod looked lost. His fundamentals sucked. His body was underdeveloped. He needs to get stronger and get more secure in his fundamentals. Unlike Newhouse, he hasn't shown he can hack it. But like Newhouse, he might need a year. Smeefers said today, he gives a guy 3 years. I'm on board with that. If Sherrod doesn't get it together by his JR year, I'm giving up on him.

For now, Newhouse has shown more, and IMO is more likely to be the better player, although Sherrod has a chance because he has more raw ability. Just have to let it play out for now. Not all players light it up in year 1, or year 2 even. Scouts talked about Sherrod being a bit of a project if I recall. That's why Carpenter was drafted higher. He played pro-style technique and was good at it. He was a damn good tackle from day one, similar to Bulaga. It's a lot easier to judge a guy who's already done what you're going to ask him to do, and these guys are more likely to be ready out of the gate. To Thompson's credit, he does go for the gusto. Sherrod is a gusto pick, the chance for dominance over a guy who's sure to be average.

That's how we end up with guys like Matthews and also why we end up with guys like Harrell. Playmakers make the difference though. Gotta take those gambles. And big guys who can move are rare. Again, TT is a bit of a gambler for excellence and seems to really value big guys.

RashanGary
04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Oh, and releasing Cliffy opens up some money to extend some big players for us. Unfortunately, Driver may need to take a pay cut because his salary could be better spent on a guy like Jennings.

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
What bothered me about Sherrod's performance last year was that he seemed completely overwhelmed at times, and more importantly didn't always look like a scrapper who would do anything and everything to stop a rusher.

And Newhouse was better? This gets me so mad I'm going to start a poll.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
What bothered me about Sherrod's performance last year was that he seemed completely overwhelmed at times, and more importantly didn't always look like a scrapper who would do anything and everything to stop a rusher. What made both Clifton and Tauscher such good passblockers was that even when they did get beat, they would get a small piece of a guy, shove him as he went past, lunge at him, do anything to divert his path to the QB.

Colledge drove me crazy because of the number of times he gotten beaten cleanly, without getting a hand on the guy. I saw a little of that from Sherrod last year, indecision that seemed to cause him to freeze, which is the last thing you want an athlete to do. Better to do something, even if wrong, than to do nothing at all.

I saw indecision in Sherrod but not inaction in desperation. Newhouse had a tendency to block to a point and then just stop. Like a timer had gone off in his head.

ND72
04-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Totally disagree. The one game (no I don't remember) he got extended playing time, as he got more and more comfortable he looked quiet good. Until his injury at KC, he was starting to settle in a bit there as well. No pre-season work because of lockout, many OL rookies looked bad last year, just tough for them. If we went off of a rookie season, Rodgers would have been cut by GM Wist...(no, I'm not saying Sherrod is a comparision)

Scott Campbell
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Totally disagree. The one game (no I don't remember) he got extended playing time, as he got more and more comfortable he looked quiet good. Until his injury at KC, he was starting to settle in a bit there as well. No pre-season work because of lockout, many OL rookies looked bad last year, just tough for them. If we went off of a rookie season, Rodgers would have been cut by GM Wist...(no, I'm not saying Sherrod is a comparision)

I saw Newhouse up close last year in the Atrium. He was giving an interview, and wearing shorts, and I swear his legs looked just like Drivers. It was almost shocking to me to see a guy playing that position, with that kind of lower body build.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
What made both Clifton and Tauscher such good passblockers was that even when they did get beat, they would get a small piece of a guy, shove him as he went past, lunge at him, do anything to divert his path to the QB.

And Rivera.

Maybe I'm waxing poetic about that solid line we had, but I don't think you ever saw a guy get to the QB clean with the 5 we had around 2000-2001.

ND72
04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I saw Newhouse up close last year in the Atrium. He was giving an interview, and wearing shorts, and I swear his legs looked just like Drivers. It was almost shocking to me to see a guy playing that position, with that kind of lower body build.

maybe Driver has very large legs? :)

I'm not in the "we need to draft a tackle" now because of Clifton being gone, I seriously expected him gone anyway. I think Newhouse, while I'm not big on him, can be a decent guy for now, and I still think Sherrod will be fine. He needs some work, especially since he did not have a full offseason last year because of lockout and likely not a full offseason this year because of his leg. Sherrod just has a LT build to him, crazy long arms and HUGE hands. Guy has potential and very high ceiling. I'm not saying he'll be that guy, but I think he has the chance to be our LT for many years.

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Guy has potential and very high ceiling. I was skim-reading and thought you were talking about the DE from Arizona.

Upnorth
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
maybe Driver has very large legs? :)

I'm not in the "we need to draft a tackle" now because of Clifton being gone, I seriously expected him gone anyway. I think Newhouse, while I'm not big on him, can be a decent guy for now, and I still think Sherrod will be fine. He needs some work, especially since he did not have a full offseason last year because of lockout and likely not a full offseason this year because of his leg. Sherrod just has a LT build to him, crazy long arms and HUGE hands. Guy has potential and very high ceiling. I'm not saying he'll be that guy, but I think he has the chance to be our LT for many years.

I saw quite a bit of good from Newhouse last year and if he improves this year will be very impressed. I hope SHerrod can take the position away from Newhouse, but doubt it.

I agree with you 100% that we don't need to draft a LT in this draft.

ND72
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I was skim-reading and thought you were talking about the DE from Arizona.

I should have said COULD have a very high ceiling. Was Guy on the DL last year or was he cut?

Fritz
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM

You've already written Sherrod off as a bust?

man, I'm glad you're not the GM. But I'm glad I'm not the GM, too.

Fritz
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I saw indecision in Sherrod but not inaction in desperation. Newhouse had a tendency to block to a point and then just stop. Like a timer had gone off in his head.

Yeah, when I saw Patler's comment about Sherrod stopping, I disagreed. I think Sherrod looked lost sometimes, like a rookie would who'd been shuffled around a lot and was already acknowledged to need work to develop. I liked Newhouse, but he's the one who disturbed me with his reluctance to finish a block. He'd get a guy blocked and just stop, as if his work was done. Then the Defensive lineman would get up and make a play. It happened against Jared Allen last year, and cost the Pack a sack on Rodgers. And it happened more than once or twice. I wonder why he didn't just fall down on guys he'd blocked? Can't they teach him that more easily than the correct footwork or the pad level stuff?

Tony Oday
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
If Sherrod is already a bust then with that thought process AR is a bust because he doesnt have a HOF nomination wrapped up already. Good lord.

ND72
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
If Sherrod is already a bust then with that thought process AR is a bust because he doesnt have a HOF nomination wrapped up already. Good lord.

It hasn't happened sooner, Brett Favre?

wootah
04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
I should have said COULD have a very high ceiling. Was Guy on the DL last year or was he cut?

He was on IR. When drafted however it was said he had better finished his senior year instead of declaring. That's already another front 7 addition even before the draft has started.

Patler
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh, and releasing Cliffy opens up some money to extend some big players for us. Unfortunately, Driver may need to take a pay cut because his salary could be better spent on a guy like Jennings.

About half of what is gained from Clifton's release seems to be needed just for the rookie allocation that Packers will be assigned, providing the numbers that are being reported are accurate. But frankly, since the uncapped year the reliability of salary cap info for teams generally and for players individually has been awful.

Bretsky
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Ditto; dude often looked lost and this is the guy I saw play last yr

Brandon494
04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
A rookie LT who had no training camp looked lost? Get out of here! Seriously though he was shaky at first but he was starting to look good before his injury.

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I think Sherrod had his confidence shaken by the rough preseason he had. After a tough first series at Atlanta though, I thought he played respectably. Bulaga struggled at times as a rookie too, but was one of the best RT's in the league last year. I could see Sherrod doing the same thing.

Pugger
04-24-2012, 06:32 PM

No shit. :roll:

Pugger
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
A rookie LT who had no training camp looked lost? Get out of here! :lol: Seriously though he was shaky at first but he was starting to look good before his injury.

I thought he was coming around too.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 06:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/collins-situation-wont-affect-packers-draft-thompson-says-tu52ukp-148206495.html

Collins situation won't affect Packers' draft, Thompson says.

I used this article as a portion of it was dedicated to Chad Clifton and what appears as though he was set to play again this season.

RE: Chad Clifton ( a sudden change in this man's life)

Clifton present:

"The Packers have started their off-season workouts and for obvious reasons neither receiver Donald Driver nor running back Ryan Grant is taking part.
Driver is competing in "Dancing With The Stars" and isn't expected back until he's either eliminated from the show or wins the competition. Grant is an unrestricted free agent whom the Packers have not made much of an effort to re-sign. They appear to be waiting until after the draft to determine their interest.

One player who was in attendance on opening day was LT Chad Clifton, who is recovering from back surgery he underwent shortly after the season. The 35-year-old Clifton had been rehabbing near his home in Tennessee and appears committed to winning back his starting job.

The fact Clifton was in Green Bay for the start of off-season workouts is a pretty good indicator that the Packers are going to give him a shot at returning after an injury-filled 2011. Clifton doesn't want to end his stellar career on a sour note and is feeling a lot better after having the back surgery.

Coach Mike McCarthy said at the NFL owners meetings recently that Clifton was still in the Packers' plans **if he were healthy." Article

Comment woodbuck27: Do we have anything that says Chad Clifton was NOT healthy reporting to the Off Season workouts?

Smeefers
04-25-2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/collins-situation-wont-affect-packers-draft-thompson-says-tu52ukp-148206495.html

Collins situation won't affect Packers' draft, Thompson says.

I used this article as a portion of it was dedicated to Chad Clifton and what appears as though he was set to play again this season.

RE: Chad Clifton ( a sudden change in this man's life)

Clifton present:

"The Packers have started their off-season workouts and for obvious reasons neither receiver Donald Driver nor running back Ryan Grant is taking part.
Driver is competing in "Dancing With The Stars" and isn't expected back until he's either eliminated from the show or wins the competition. Grant is an unrestricted free agent whom the Packers have not made much of an effort to re-sign. They appear to be waiting until after the draft to determine their interest.

One player who was in attendance on opening day was LT Chad Clifton, who is recovering from back surgery he underwent shortly after the season. The 35-year-old Clifton had been rehabbing near his home in Tennessee and appears committed to winning back his starting job.

The fact Clifton was in Green Bay for the start of off-season workouts is a pretty good indicator that the Packers are going to give him a shot at returning after an injury-filled 2011. Clifton doesn't want to end his stellar career on a sour note and is feeling a lot better after having the back surgery.

Coach Mike McCarthy said at the NFL owners meetings recently that Clifton was still in the Packers' plans **if he were healthy." Article

Comment woodbuck27: Do we have anything that says Chad Clifton was NOT healthy reporting to the Off Season workouts?

From what I understand, he showed up at work outs to take a physical, which he failed.

Patler
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
From what I understand, he showed up at work outs to take a physical, which he failed.

...and one article said that was ALL he had done with the team, take the physical.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/57313/long-looming-packers-lt-transition-arrives

Comment woodbuck27: Chad Clifton's time had been extended and extended and failing a physical is not a happy place:

Long-looming Packers LT transition arrives.

April, 23, 2012 12:00 PM ET

By Kevin Seifert (http://search.espn.go.com/kevin-seifert/) | ESPN.com

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
This may be a good thing. If Sherrod is heatlhy by camp it may speed up his progression.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
About half of what is gained from Clifton's release seems to be needed just for the rookie allocation that Packers will be assigned, providing the numbers that are being reported are accurate. But frankly, since the uncapped year the reliability of salary cap info for teams generally and for players individually has been awful.

Yes.

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
This may be a good thing. If Sherrod is heatlhy by camp it may speed up his progression.

It will make sure he gets more snaps. I do hope he plays well enough to overtake Newhouse, as that would make him a very very good LT.

Smeefers
05-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Thought this was cool.

"It's been my Honor" - Chad Clifton

http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/05%2F04%2F12_Clifton%3A_%27It%27s_been_my_honor%27/636?feed=2

denverYooper
05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Thought this was cool.

"It's been my Honor" - Chad Clifton

http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/05%2F04%2F12_Clifton%3A_%27It%27s_been_my_honor%27/636?feed=2

phenomenal

Kiwon
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Clifton's a good guy. I hope he finally gets healthy again.

Tony Oday
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Give that guy a Media Deal! Wow cool way to go out Clifton hope you kept your money and now can relax a bit.

George Cumby
05-21-2012, 01:47 PM
thanks for posting that

Pugger
05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
And if he can't get healthy enough to play again I hope we sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Packer like Marco Rivera did. :-D

Smidgeon
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
And if he can't get healthy enough to play again I hope we sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Packer like Marco Rivera did. :-D

I think he would anyway since he didn't play for a team besides the Pack after he was released.

gbgary
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
pure class!

Pugger
05-22-2012, 06:05 AM
I think he would anyway since he didn't play for a team besides the Pack after he was released.

True, I was just thinking about the gesture...