PDA

View Full Version : Walden is back

imscott72
04-23-2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-re-sign-LB-Walden/17c130e2-15ad-48e4-85b7-255960485116?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=GPN+Twitter+Management

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Hope he has his head screwed on straight now. He fell apart last year after the domestic abuse incident on Thanksgiving evening. He was playing some decent football up until them. Until the Packers draft someone, he's probably better than anyone else they have on the right side.

imscott72
04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
For depth only I'm assuming. I find it hard to believe he'd start there again..

Upnorth
04-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Who was on fire last year during training camp? Also what happened to So'oto from preseason?

Joemailman
04-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Hopefully the draft will produce someone better. If that doesn't happen though, who is clearly better? Zombo? Lattimore? So'oto? Jones?

pbmax
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Walden was doing fine except for the pass rush early and then he started getting some pressures. And then everything broke. But even when things were going well he has less of an idea in the run game than he needs and he doesn't rush the passer like Zombo. By his size, you would think he might suffer in the 2-4-5 and getting steady attention from the tackle. But the worst run plays versus him were in a 3-4 and the TE handled him (could just be my memory of the Chiefs game predominates). They need to call Stan Lee and have the three of them merged into one super average OLB.

I just want So'oto to get 5 snaps a game to drive the RT backwards and create havoc and land on top of someone.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Why? The guy is terrible. I have know idea where this guy can make a positive contribution

mmmdk
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

I second the above! But welcome back, Waldo!

pittstang5
04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Walden? Really? Why?

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Jones is probably the best outside linebacker other than The One. The starter will come from the draft.

Bretsky
04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
that is sad; Jones is pathetic

wist43
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Kevin Greene went on and on about finding "the guy"... and then slammed all of the candidates currently on the roster as having proven that they are obviously not "the guy".

Heartfelt and emotional from Greene to be sure... he was a firey player, and he's a firey coach - but, he is not the GM. TT and MM like Walden a lot; he was pencilled him as the starter last offseason, he's the starter there now, and I fully expect he will be the starter next season.

Capers and Greene can squawk all they want about "need", but Ted do what Ted do, and the word "need" is never spoken within 20 miles of his presence.

Walden is your starter at ROLB... I like him better than Zombo, so I guess that's something to hang one's hat on.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Walden took the job after Zombo had a series of injuries that kept him from practicing in camp. He wasn't anointed, Jones So'oto and Lattimore just didn't outplay him.

And a guy who was a Street FA for a few weeks might win the starting job, but I doubt its his now.

wist43
04-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Walden took the job after Zombo had a series of injuries that kept him from practicing in camp. He wasn't anointed, Jones So'oto and Lattimore just didn't outplay him.

And a guy who was a Street FA for a few weeks might win the starting job, but I doubt its his now.

Heard MM singing the praises of Lattimore - but of course that means nothing. Zombo needs to be selling insurance somewhere... I still have a small glimmer of hope for So'oto, but he's a longshot.

Jones might be a better player, but when you're comparing the artistic worth of grease spots... it's what you're left with.

I assume Walden will be the starter, but Jones could end up there again. They should be able to muster 3 sacks between them... steady as she goes.

Brandon494
04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Walden is not starter material but we still need depth people.

pbmax
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
See, having Jones encourages me. If Thompson found a raw, pass rusher who was not ready versus the run or in coverage, then a platoon with Jones would be fine. Jones can cover and hold against the run. He just has no pass rush whatsoever.

Will it work out that way? All depends on who they get. But they have enough variety that a functional platoon should be available.

My only fear is that all football coaches prefer to known to the unknown and platooning a rookie who isn't Clay Matthews will be an idea they resist with all their might.

mraynrand
04-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Why? The guy is terrible. I have know idea where this guy can make a positive contribution

I do

http://robsmovievault.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the-waterboy.jpg

Smidgeon
04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
See, having Jones encourages me. If Thompson found a raw, pass rusher who was not ready versus the run or in coverage, then a platoon with Jones would be fine. Jones can cover and hold against the run. He just has no pass rush whatsoever.

Will it work out that way? All depends on who they get. But they have enough variety that a functional platoon should be available.

My only fear is that all football coaches prefer to known to the unknown and platooning a rookie who isn't Clay Matthews will be an idea they resist with all their might.

Honest question here: was Jones' rookie season filling in for an injured Kampman a fluke/luck? He had four sacks at the end of that season.

Pugger
04-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Hopefully after the draft Walden will be just another camp body. ;-)

Bretsky
04-24-2012, 02:58 AM
Honest question here: was Jones' rookie season filling in for an injured Kampman a fluke/luck? He had four sacks at the end of that season.

I thnk he surprised a lot of teams who gave him little focus on the game plan. Watch he Arizona Playoff game and focus in on Jones. It' was one of the worst performances you will ever witness. I don't get the group that thinks Jones has upside and is borderline adequate. I don't even think he's a J.A.G.

Packers4Glory
04-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Walden sucks. flash in the pan when we needed him tho.. so thanks for that.

KYPack
04-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I thnk he surprised a lot of teams who gave him little focus on the game plan. Watch he Arizona Playoff game and focus in on Jones. It' was one of the worst performances you will ever witness. I don't get the group that thinks Jones has upside and is borderline adequate. I don't even think he's a J.A.G.

He was a total JAG-off in that one, all right, B.

The ironic thing about that game was that Levi Brown, AZ RT was the kind of T that Kevin Greene used to eat for breakfast. I'm sure Kevin was trying to get Jones going, but Jonsey is no Kevin Greene, not by a long shot.