PDA

View Full Version : Your 2012 Starting Left Tackle

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
All the loose talk is irritating, time to lock-in a prediction and reap the glory or humiliation.

I went with Sherrod.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Sherrod. Starter by the 3rd preseason game.

MadScientist
04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Went with Marshall, because I don't think Sherrod will be healed enough and ready before the start of the season. Early reports of his recovery mean nothing. Look at all those reports about how well Al Harris was recovering and rehabbing, then he was PUP and cut.

ND72
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Sherrod.

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I know most people, include Sherrod's doctor, are saying a broken leg is not so bad. Maybe so compared to ligament damage. I just am unconvinced he will be 100% next fall, just like Ryan Grant took so long to get 100% after broken bone. But I voted for Sherrod to improve his Karma.

Smidgeon
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
I went with the Mallow just because he did okay last year. I think Sherrod will win out sooner rather than later, but I'm going with the known variable.

As for Grant, wasn't it a dislocated ankle instead of a broken bone? :S

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
As for Grant, wasn't it a dislocated ankle instead of a broken bone? :S

All I remember is Grant hopping off the field on one leg faster than I have ever run on two.

Old School
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Newhouse for now; maybe this year. I think Sherrod will win out eventually, but the leg will hold him back for at least the beginning of the year.

Cheesehead Craig
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I went with Sherrod. He'll win it in pre-season.

Smeefers
04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I went with Newhouse just because Sherrod's health is too much of a question. I think Newhouse is a capable stand in until he's ready. I think Sherrod's the LT of the future. I think moving Bulaga over to LT would be a mistake.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I went with Newhouse just because Sherrod's health is too much of a question.

Why?

There was no soft tissue damage.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Wasn't Sherrod's break really bad? I know Quarell's was for sure, but I thought he had a nasty compound fracture as well. I know he stayed behind in KC because it required surgery, not just being set and casted.

swede
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
I voted Newhouse, but if Sherrod has to step in he won't give the job back.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Wasn't Sherrod's break really bad? I know Quarell's was for sure, but I thought he had a nasty compound fracture as well. I know he stayed behind in KC because it required surgery, not just being set and casted.

It was about as bad as it could be, short of a compound fracture (through the skin), But with both bones broken, its is more complicated than a typical bone break and I think they need to go with a steel rod to get everything aligned.

We'll see. So far, the worst case scenarios that were possible, seem to have been avoided. He is healthy enough to be working out and some scenarios envisioned he would not be able to do that until mid-Summer if things did not progress well.

sharpe1027
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
It is Newhouse's spot to lose. Maybe he will lose it, but he's got the edge right now.

sheepshead
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I say Bryan gets a shot and wins it.

Smeefers
04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Why?

There was no soft tissue damage.

You never know how guys are going to react to an injury.

Smeefers
04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I say Bryan gets a shot and wins it.

I think Bulaga could win it, but I don't think he's the long term solution at LT. Sherrod is built to be a LT and by that I mean he doesn't have the T-rex arms that bulaga has. I'd rather bryan stay at his position than keep moving him around. I also wouldn't want him to get butt hurt when Sherrod finally does get healthy and beats him out.

Bulaga playing RT - Great
*Bulaga playing LT - Good
*Sherrod playing RT - Bad
*Sherrod playing LT - Good.

* I am basing this on absolutely nothing tangible, it's just a guy feeling.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
It was about as bad as it could be, short of a compound fracture (through the skin), But with both bones broken, its is more complicated than a typical bone break and I think they need to go with a steel rod to get everything aligned.

We'll see. So far, the worst case scenarios that were possible, seem to have been avoided. He is healthy enough to be working out and some scenarios envisioned he would not be able to do that until mid-Summer if things did not progress well.

A bit of googling told me it was the same injury as Lynn Dickey.
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/12/19/sherrod-undegoes-surgery-in-kc-for-broken-leg/

Upnorth
04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
So after defending Newhouse most of last season (or so it seemed) I voted that it will be his to lose. Sherrod will need to make a big jump to take it from him. If he out plays Newhouse we probably have the best backup LT in the league.

sheepshead
04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Bulaga could win it, but I don't think he's the long term solution at LT. Sherrod is built to be a LT and by that I mean he doesn't have the T-rex arms that bulaga has. I'd rather bryan stay at his position than keep moving him around. I also wouldn't want him to get butt hurt when Sherrod finally does get healthy and beats him out.

Bulaga playing RT - Great
*Bulaga playing LT - Good
*Sherrod playing RT - Bad
*Sherrod playing LT - Good.

* I am basing this on absolutely nothing tangible, it's just a guy feeling.

Could be. I havent seen Sherrod play much. Bulaga went to my sons high school so I have seen him play there and watched him some at Iowa. I'm basing it on his heart and head. He played LT in Iowa and pushed a lot of guys down-field.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
A bit of googling told me it was the same injury as Lynn Dickey.
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/12/19/sherrod-undegoes-surgery-in-kc-for-broken-leg/

And didn't Dickey claim he came back too early, or continued to play after a re-injury? Or was it simply never the same?

Tony Oday
04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Newhouse's position to lose. No way do you move a solid RT to LT just to give him a shot. Develop Bulaga into the next Tauch

3irty1
04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't count on Newhouse ever giving up that job. He's a hard working dude and physically he's got everything it takes. If he has continued improving all offseason he'll be tough to beat in camp.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
And didn't Dickey claim he came back too early, or continued to play after a re-injury? Or was it simply never the same?

Wrong link
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20111223/PKR07/111223149/Medical-advances-give-Green-Bay-Packers-Derek-Sherrod-s-broken-leg-better-chance-at-recovery

It says he took 2 years to come back, and was never the same, but that medical advances have been significant.

RashanGary
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll bet it's Newhouse, and I'm happy as heck for the way his game is trending.

I hope it's Sherrod because that would mean he's pretty friggin good. I just doubt it.

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't count on Newhouse ever giving up that job. He's a hard working dude and physically he's got everything it takes. Newhouse is not real big or long. I like Sherrod's size.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Newhouse's position to lose. No way do you move a solid RT to LT just to give him a shot. Develop Bulaga into the next Tauch

Bulaga played LT in college, and has practiced there quite a bit in Green Bay. I think the best player of the 3 of them should start at LT.

Patler
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Chad Clifton - resigned to a much lower contract half way through training camp. (Not really serious about this, but it wouldn't shock me either.)

Guiness
04-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Chad Clifton - resigned to a much lower contract half way through training camp. (Not really serious about this, but it wouldn't shock me either.)

A dark horse for sure, but I wouldn't write him off either.

I wonder if they keep him hanging around like they did with Tausher.

Pugger
04-24-2012, 06:39 PM

I think Bulaga will be better than Tauch was so I don't want them to move him now. I voted Newhouse but in time Sherrod will be our starter. If they give him time heal those bones completely he should be okay.

Fritz
04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Newhouse is not real big or long. I like Sherrod's size.

That's what your mother said!!!

Bretsky
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj03cDRAff4

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM

I can't think of a lot instances where highly-paid veterans finish off their careers at bargain rates. Seems like it would not be worth it, the body is already beat up enough. I'm sure there are exceptions, for instance Ahman Green kept playing after the big money ended.

Gunakor
04-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Newhouse is the starting left tackle. Not because Sherrod is injured, but because Newhouse outplayed a healthy Sherrod.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 01:52 AM
I know most people, include Sherrod's doctor, are saying a broken leg is not so bad. Maybe so compared to ligament damage. I just am unconvinced he will be 100% next fall, just like Ryan Grant took so long to get 100% after broken bone. But I voted for Sherrod to improve his Karma.

I've had one and it took 4 months in casts and about 2 years to rehab fully and I worked so hard to get it there.This man is getting the best possible treatment and top notch fascility to get his leg back 100% and it has to get all the way back before he tests contact.

I went obviously to Newhouse to start as our LT. There is no sense in moving the RT when he's plaing well over there. All that does is add a question to two positions. We have enough questions on our OL as it stands now. I know most of you disagree.

That's fine and I don't need to read that again. (-:

Zool
04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Newhouse is the starting left tackle. Not because Sherrod is injured, but because Newhouse outplayed a healthy Sherrod.

This is why I voted Sherrod. Outplayed...as in past tense. I'm hoping for a second year jump out of the first round pick now that they aren't trying to start in at guard.

ND72
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
This is why I voted Sherrod. Outplayed...as in past tense. I'm hoping for a second year jump out of the first round pick now that they aren't trying to start in at guard.

I said from day 1 of camp when I read they would also try him at guard was a huge mistake. Give the rookie without full offseason leading to camp 1 position and allow him to see what he does with it.

Gunakor
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Sherrod hasn't outplayed Newhouse in the present tense yet. I hope as you do that Sherrod makes that jump and wins the job but he hasn't even stepped onto a practice field yet following that injury. Until I see something from Sherrod I have to assume Newhouse will open the season as the starter.

Zool
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Sherrod hasn't outplayed Newhouse in the present tense yet. I hope as you do that Sherrod makes that jump and wins the job but he hasn't even stepped onto a practice field yet following that injury. Until I see something from Sherrod I have to assume Newhouse will open the season as the starter.

I voted on hope....giving some good karma to Sherrod.

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Hope? Hope and... change?

Pugger
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Only because he was a rookie without an offseason with coaches. Newhouse most likely will be our opening day starter but Sherrod will supplant him in time.