PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Brandt Monetarizes Brett Favre Again

pbmax
04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Brett should be getting residuals after the 12th retelling of the Moss story.

A new detail on Rodgers being selected at 24 (the only player left with a first round grade) and a new ignore Tony Romo story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7840048/nfl-draft-war-room

Scott Campbell
04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I will never tire of Brandt's portrayal of Favre as a petulant child with an overbearing soccer mom for an agent.

"Favre was livid. I spent the rest of the draft listening to Bus Cook, his agent, express Favre's anger, along with threats to not show up. I knew Favre had long dreamed of playing with Moss, but I told him that Greg Jennings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9638/greg-jennings) would be a star in time. Favre said he didn't have time. I explained our method of drafting and developing players, but it only served to deepen his resentment of a general manager who did not welcome his input the way previous regimes had."

Freak Out
04-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Great stuff Max......thanks for posting. I don't have time to look for that stuff anymore.

sheepshead
04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I watch the draft from afar but that was pretty fascinating stuff.

Pugger
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
I will never tire of Brandt's portrayal of Favre as a petulant child with an overbearing soccer mom for an agent.

"Favre was livid. I spent the rest of the draft listening to Bus Cook, his agent, express Favre's anger, along with threats to not show up. I knew Favre had long dreamed of playing with Moss, but I told him that Greg Jennings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9638/greg-jennings) would be a star in time. Favre said he didn't have time. I explained our method of drafting and developing players, but it only served to deepen his resentment of a general manager who did not welcome his input the way previous regimes had."

This one sentence is probably the sole reason why Favre wanted to get the hell of out GB.

Fritz
04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Trust the board. That's the message. So if the only player left with a first round grade is a left tackle or a right tackle or a quarterback, and Green Bay is up, they should draft that guy.

Weird. Cuz mostly that's probably the correct move, but what if Rodgers doesn't get hurt, keeps playing great - and your first round QB develops nicely? Would you lose him to free agency for nothing more than a third round pick in three or four years?

Pugger
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Trust the board. That's the message. So if the only player left with a first round grade is a left tackle or a right tackle or a quarterback, and Green Bay is up, they should draft that guy.

Weird. Cuz mostly that's probably the correct move, but what if Rodgers doesn't get hurt, keeps playing great - and your first round QB develops nicely? Would you lose him to free agency for nothing more than a third round pick in three or four years?

It will be easier to trade a QB taken in the first couple of rounds than a guy we took in the 7th. Flynn came around but there really wasn't enough tape of him for other teams to digest.

Fritz
04-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Good point.

ND72
04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Amazing how GB kind of didn't want Rodgers.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Amazing how GB kind of didn't want Rodgers.

I'm not surprised. We all saw him those first few years. He wasn't very good. But he developed, and got better. A LOT better.

Smeefers
04-24-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not surprised. We all saw him those first few years. He wasn't very good. But he developed, and got better. A LOT better.

I remember thinking that Ty Detmer looked better coming out of college than Rodgers did.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Rodgers had a first round grade, so its not like they were looking askance at him. In Brandt's relling, they clearly preferred a couple of defenders.

I wonder how close Brandt is to the truth there about Thompson's preferences?

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I had to keep them on hold another excruciating 10 minutes to see whether the phone rang with a trade offer for the pick (it didn't).

It's amazing they got no trade offers from teams looking for a QB. Maybe someday I'll get ambitious and look up who some of those teams had at QB at the time.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 08:42 PM
It's amazing they got no trade offers from teams looking for a QB. Maybe someday I'll get ambitious and look up who some of those teams had at QB at the time.

There were a couple of teams that were certainly not set at QB. For some reason, the Vikings come to mind. I remembered Jason Campbell going before Rodgers, but I checked and he actually went after. Detroit probably took a WR as well.

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
There were a couple of teams that were certainly not set at QB. For some reason, the Vikings come to mind. I remembered Jason Campbell going before Rodgers, but I checked and he actually went after. Detroit probably took a WR as well.

Detroit at that point was taking a WR every year in the 1st round to try to prop up Joey Harrington. They took Mike Williams. The one I remember clearly was Oakland passing on Rodgers at 23. They had Kerry Collins and a finished Rich Gannon. I thought for sure they would take Rodgers. When they didn't, I knew TT would.

Patler
04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Some how, these articles by Brandt always strike me as a bit odd. They end up being a lot about him, how important he was, how innovative he was, what great insight he had, how he was the buddy of all the stars, what a calming influence he was, etc. He hit most of those in this article.

I don't read many of his articles anymore. Only when someone specifically recommends one his articles will I bother to read it. I have the feeling that others involved in his story may have seen it differently.

KYPack
04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Some how, these articles by Brandt always strike me as a bit odd. They end up being a lot about him, how important he was, how innovative he was, what great insight he had, how he was the buddy of all the stars, what a calming influence he was, etc. He hit most of those in this article.

I don't read many of his articles anymore. Only when someone specifically recommends one his articles will I bother to read it. I have the feeling that others involved in his story may have seen it differently.

You got it, pal. Brandt was a tireless self-promoter when he worked for the GBP. There were a couple articles a season about how Brandt was the best cap boy in the NFL & how lucky the Pack was to have him, etc. The articles were always very similar sounding. That's because they came from the fertile mind of Andrew Brandt.

Russ Ball has done as good or a better job than Brandt and you don't hear squat about him. That's because that's how Murphy and TT want it. And hooray for them.

Brandt tried his share of power plays and political moves during his watch. They all added up to him being squeezed out of a job in '08. And that was the best move for the Pack.

pbmax
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I am glad he has the site and is writing his own column because even more than Florio, he can dissect contracts that put context on all the confusing details.

But outside of the consulting gig with the Eagles, his stories are now repetitive and I agree, self-aggrandizing.

HowardRoark
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Good point.

I put theses two words in the search box, and this is the only post that ever came up.

Nice work.

Pugger
04-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Detroit at that point was taking a WR every year in the 1st round to try to prop up Joey Harrington. They took Mike Williams. The one I remember clearly was Oakland passing on Rodgers at 23. They had Kerry Collins and a finished Rich Gannon. I thought for sure they would take Rodgers. When they didn't, I knew TT would.

I wasn't so sure, probably because of #4. It was remarkable watching AR fall and I didn't think TT would pull the trigger at the time. I was very excited when he did! I am certain there are at least 20-something GMs now kicking themselves behind closed doors.