PDA

View Full Version : HARRISON SMITH

Brandon494
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Don't be surprised if TT drafts him if all pass rushers are off the board.

OVERVIEW

Smith is an ultra-athletic, big and smart safety who has roamed the secondary as a four-year starter and senior captain for Notre Dame. He is the type of safety who is always involved, using his quickness, recognition and overall body control to react effectively to plays. While he has just adequate speed, he makes up for this deficiency with strong play recognition and anticipation, and he is often in a position to make a play on the ball. Overall, Smith is a smart, athletic defender who should push to start early in a zone-heavy NFL scheme. Expect him to contend for a late first-round selection with the help of impressive postseason workouts and interviews.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Smith is an athletic, smart free safety. He is strong and has great size for the position, and he shows up in the run game as effectively as he does against the pass. He stands out as a lengthy athlete who has range to match NFL speed across the defensive backfield. He is extremely reliable and effective in run support, which comes from his ability to read and react to plays on a quick twitch off the snap. Smith was very productive in college and rarely misses. He is a drag-down tackler who is always around the ball. Although he may have to catch and rarely delivers a blow, he is consistent. As a pass-defender, he is able to read the ball in the air and make plays all across the back end of the defense. He is able to read the quarterback well in zone and uses his athletic ability to turn and run to make plays on the ball. He is a long-strider as a runner and can turn and ignite a quick burst to run down a receiver downfield. He can then utilize his length to make strong plays on the ball. If he is in position, he will make the big interception.

WEAKNESSES Smith can struggle when covering man to man. He often finds himself in a poor position when the ball is thrown. Short area movements are of a concern somewhat, so he will be much better in a read-and-react zone defense in which he can rely on instincts and recognition more than athletic ability. While he shows up as a solid athlete in every other aspect of his game, his technique in man coverage will expose some inconsistencies in his footwork, as he often relies too heavily on his recover ability and overall length to make plays on the ball. Though he is a somewhat fluid athlete, he can be beaten by quick-twitch and explosive movers.

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I like Smith, but I doubt TT has a 1st round grade on him. Actually, Mayock has him listed at #28, but Gil Brandt and CBS have him listed in the mid 40's. Pat Kirwan has him going to the Pats at #48.

Brandon494
04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Yea I would rather trade down but I've been reading some sites having us taking him. I guess we'll finally find out on Thrusday! :D

mission
04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Isn't he white? Not making a reverse racism dig on you here Brandon, but I really hope we don't draft a white safety in the first round. Something about that just doesn't really get me excited.

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Isn't he white? Not making a reverse racism dig on you here Brandon, but I really hope we don't draft a white safety in the first round. Something about that just doesn't really get me excited.

How do you feel about white OLB's? :wink:

Bretsky
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM

Siging Jim Leonard would give us some nice insurance; I'd get sick if we took this guy in round one. Honestly I think TT might take the top C or the next best RB over Smith. He's a guy you take at about middle of round two IMO.

It would not surpirse me.........if the group of DL and LB's TT wants are gone........if TT is mass calling for a trade down

mission
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
How do you feel about white OLB's? :wink:

Not as strong of an opinion there!

Not my #1 choice, but I'd be fine if TT thought McClellin was the guy at 28. Prefer an Upshaw drop (won't even dream for an Ingram trade-up) and I don't think it's because he's black. :lol:

mission
04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Siging Jim Leonard would give us some nice insurance;

He's still hanging out on the market? I wouldn't mind the Wisconsin reunion there, but I really just want Collins to miraculously come back.

Zool
04-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Reverse racism is liking a race of people specifically because of their skin tone.

mission
04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Reverse racism is liking a race of people specifically because of their skin tone.

Thanks for the lesson.
I was just referring to folks telling Brandon he'd like a guy more if he was black or prefers Cam Newton because he's black or whatever. Didn't want to seem like I was asking the white question because of that. I personally just don't like the idea of a white 1st round safety--I guess that would make me racist!

Zool
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the lesson.
I was just referring to folks telling Brandon he'd like a guy more if he was black or prefers Cam Newton because he's black or whatever. Didn't want to seem like I was asking the white question because of that. I personally just don't like the idea of a white 1st round safety--I guess that would make me racist!

Or a watcher of professional football.

mission
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Or a watcher of professional football.

More of that. :)

ND72
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I really think GB is gonna jump in front of NE and grab Shae, gut feeling. However, I do like Smith, just think we could drop down and get him. Saw one mock today that had NE taking Shae at 27, and Nick Perry at 31....that'd be nuts.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't care what race the dude is, if he can play I want him on the team. I'm just not the type to over hype a player just because of his skin color. Harrison is the 2nd rated safety in this draft and something tells me Collins will not be back. I wouldn't be thrilled if would took him with our 1st pick but I wouldn't mad about it either.

Smeefers
04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
All stupid issues of race aside...

I think it would be a mistake to take him in the first. I think it would be one helluva reach in the 1st. I wouldn't be opposed to moving up in the second to grab him though.

George Cumby
04-25-2012, 08:17 AM

And does Smith have the intangibles that Ted values so highly? Team leader, quality person, hard worker, high motor, coachable, love the game?

ND72
04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
All stupid issues of race aside...

I think it would be a mistake to take him in the first. I think it would be one helluva reach in the 1st. I wouldn't be opposed to moving up in the second to grab him though.

Well, if he was a woman we could pay him less.......SORRY, I couldn't resist.

ND72
04-25-2012, 08:54 AM
And does Smith have the intangibles that Ted values so highly? Team leader, quality person, hard worker, high motor, coachable, love the game?

From what I read you've already covered what they said his strengths are. Quality locker room guy, defensive leader, high motor, very intelligent, come on he went to Notre Dame! One thing that I liked that I read about him is he "knows football" and "has a great sense" on defense. I tend to like guys like that, especially in the position he would likely be playing.

Patler
04-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Harrison is the 2nd rated safety in this draft and something tells me Collins will not be back. I wouldn't be thrilled if would took him with our 1st pick but I wouldn't mad about it either.

That's where I'm at with him. I'm hoping they can take someone who will have a shot at making a bigger impact, but they do need a safety. I'm doubtful about Collins' return, too.

MadScientist
04-25-2012, 09:23 AM

I definitely like the idea of moving up in the second to get him, especially if the first round pick nets a DE or OLB that can actually generate pressure. If I were to go to the effort to do a mock I'd include that move.

Pugger
04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm with Brandon. If all of these coveted pass rushers are gone (and those that are still there will more than likely still be there in round 2) Smith might be a good choice for us now that Collins has been waived seeing he is said to be the second highest rated safety in this draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
It seems there is a big dropoff after Barron and Smith.

Fritz
04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I've read the Michigan State safety, Trent Richardson (?) is an interesting prospect. He's very short (5'-9" I think) but can jump and leap like a six year old on Red Bull.

red
04-26-2012, 07:19 PM
i'm just not the excited about him after everything i've read about him. there are only two safeties in this draft class, and neither excite me.

and that really sucks for us

i still think we're better off moving c-wood to FS and drafting another CB.

smuggler
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
There's a 3rd round safety prospect who has better measurables than both Barron and Smith. If we want to spend that pick.

Smeefers
04-27-2012, 07:20 AM

OVERVIEW

Smith is an ultra-athletic, big and smart safety who has roamed the secondary as a four-year starter and senior captain for Notre Dame. He is the type of safety who is always involved, using his quickness, recognition and overall body control to react effectively to plays. While he has just adequate speed, he makes up for this deficiency with strong play recognition and anticipation, and he is often in a position to make a play on the ball. Overall, Smith is a smart, athletic defender who should push to start early in a zone-heavy NFL scheme. Expect him to contend for a late first-round selection with the help of impressive postseason workouts and interviews.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Smith is an athletic, smart free safety. He is strong and has great size for the position, and he shows up in the run game as effectively as he does against the pass. He stands out as a lengthy athlete who has range to match NFL speed across the defensive backfield. He is extremely reliable and effective in run support, which comes from his ability to read and react to plays on a quick twitch off the snap. Smith was very productive in college and rarely misses. He is a drag-down tackler who is always around the ball. Although he may have to catch and rarely delivers a blow, he is consistent. As a pass-defender, he is able to read the ball in the air and make plays all across the back end of the defense. He is able to read the quarterback well in zone and uses his athletic ability to turn and run to make plays on the ball. He is a long-strider as a runner and can turn and ignite a quick burst to run down a receiver downfield. He can then utilize his length to make strong plays on the ball. If he is in position, he will make the big interception.

WEAKNESSES Smith can struggle when covering man to man. He often finds himself in a poor position when the ball is thrown. Short area movements are of a concern somewhat, so he will be much better in a read-and-react zone defense in which he can rely on instincts and recognition more than athletic ability. While he shows up as a solid athlete in every other aspect of his game, his technique in man coverage will expose some inconsistencies in his footwork, as he often relies too heavily on his recover ability and overall length to make plays on the ball. Though he is a somewhat fluid athlete, he can be beaten by quick-twitch and explosive movers.

Well, I guess he wasn't a reach. You were right, I was wrong.

smuggler
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
He was still a reach, but it was just Minnesota's reach instead of ours. Whoever picked Mark Barron at 7 also reached, but it's a bad year for safeties, as has been said before.

woodbuck27
05-01-2012, 08:06 AM
It seems there is a big dropoff after Barron and Smith.

At Round Four Position 38 and Pick # 133 Overall Ted Thompson picked Jerron McMillian, MAINE. S. I. Grade 2.30 and Ranked by Sports illustrated as the 19th best prospect at Safety.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/69533.html

2.34 to 1.99 -- Practice Squad -- Late-round draft pick or priority free agent that must develop his talents on the practice squad

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/grading_system/#ixzz1tcgIBPlK

The #3 ranked 'safety' was sitting on the board... George Iloka.Grade 2.80

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/79211.html

S.I.Grade:

3.09 to 2.75 -- First-Year Contributor -- Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/grading_system/#ixzz1tch4iCJb

When TT selected Jerron McMillian besides the #3 ranked safety George Iloka there were another eight (8) higher ranked safety's on the board; nine (9) total.

One of those was S Antonio Allen,S. Carolina, ** Grade 2.59 who was picked by the NY Jets in the 7th round at Pick #242 or the pick sandwich'd between TT's last two picks of the draft of T Andrew Danko, Grade 2.45 and QB B.J. Coleman, *** Grade 2.34.

** Future Starter -- A good athlete that must learn to be a football player or someone who is an "overachiever". Quality prospect with long term potential.

*** Practice Squad -- Late-round draft pick or priority free agent that must develop his talents on the practice squad

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/breakdowns/by_position/S.html

S.I. COM College Draft Prospect Grading System:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/grading_system/

GO PACKERS !

Scott Campbell
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I guess the good folks at Sports Illustrated can't be too happy about this pick.

Lurker64
05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I guess the good folks at Sports Illustrated can't be too happy about this pick.

I'm pretty sure Sports Illustrated doesn't send anybody to the Maine pro day.

MadScientist
05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Flipping through the various SI boards, it seems they were farther off on safety than on most of the other ones. When I read the player pages that SI had on Iloka vs McMillian, I like the sound of McMillian a lot better. I like McMillian in round 4 a hell of a lot better than Travon Wilson in round 2 (Pats pick).