PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers: Thanks For Saving Our Ass, Committee Thread

pbmax
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Time for some fun. Like remembering when a terminal position weakness that we all saw coming :roll: was about to wreck the season. Surprisingly in this day and age of instant You Tube highlights, Mike Mayock, Justin Harrell, Rob Rang and Skip Bayless, saviors are sometimes discovered outside of the first round. They are often discovered in the agate type and seem to drop from the sky and play far better than anyone had a right to expect. Proving over and over that humans of any situation can achieve great things, and that we, as a message board, don't really know squat about what makes football players successful.

A long time ago, I made mention of Bruce Wilkerson, who I think the Packers found checking their baggage at the airport. After a quick workout on the tarmac, Wilkerson then started a key game against the Vikings the next night. He replaced struggling Jon Michels, who was spending his team meeting time silently weeping in his chair.

I said the Packers should commission an award named "Thanks For Saving Our Ass" and its inaugural member should be Bruce Wilkerson. And in celebration of his wondrous part year contribution to a Super Bowl win, the award and ceremony should thereafter be known as:

The Bruce Wilkerson Thanks For Saving Our Ass Award. Or, to be even more insidery while being less obscure, we could name it the Street Free Agent Starting Left Tackle Award. There is still plenty of time to decide.

Patler thought it was a nice idea. The Packers haven't warmed up to it yet. So we will have to take care of this until it gets picked up by a media conglomerate with deep pockets.

But first, we need nominations for the next recipient. Mainly we are looking for the player who was a complete unknown or Just A Guy. Not just an unlikely rookie, but a player we were surprised made the roster at all and instead solved a major problem or offered a needed tactical solution. Camp bodies or strictly for depth due to injuries. Better even if he was not on the roster until Reggie McKenzie was reduced to calling his brother to see if he wanted to play again.

Players like Clay Matthews are unlikely to pass muster, as he was supposed to be good. Donald Driver was not supposed to make the team, but even after securing a roster spot, it took him years to become a top contributor and we all saw it happening. We want the overnight success years in the making or perhaps, years in the wasting. I do think there is room for an established veteran here who did something previously unthinkable.

Since some rare Packer seasons cannot be saved, there may not always be an award winner in every team picture. Some seasons might have more than one. So we will elect one player per year in the offseason. So have at it, place your nominations into the thread.

When we have the top candidates, a poll shall commence. We might need a volunteer for some artwork for the plaque we should display.

Have at it.

Cleft Crusty
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
I would suggest Darick Holmes, 1998. After losing Edgar Bennett to an ACL in '97 (and the Bears in '98), The Packers turned to Dorsey Levens, who carried them through the '97 season. He only lasted though the Miami game, breaking an ankle and would take the entire season to heal, in time to be ripped off in the playoffs.

The Packers tried to slog it out with Travis 'straight ahead' Jervey and tired out Bear Raymont Harris, but Holmes eventually ran and received enough to keep the Packers competitive and to amass the most yards of any RB from scrimmage in that season, a paltry 565 yards.

He fits the Bill (pun intended) because he was a midseason pick-up from the Bills, where he ran for a grand total of 8 yards on 2 carries in 3 games.

For Ron Wolf haters: Edgar Bennett had 820 yards from scrimmage for the Bears in 1998.

ND72
04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Even though this pains me, I would suggest Jerry Glanville for hating Brett "Mississippi" Favre.

Guiness
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Bruce Wilkerson, to quote Madden I believe, "knew how to get in the way".

Honorable mention to Atari Bigby for that big game against Seattle, and Andre Rison for his short stint with the Pack!

Patler
04-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I like the thread, but I think the Wilkerson story is a bit off. I'm pretty sure he was with the team for the whole season, after signing in the off season. He just didn't play until the last game of the year and the playoff games.

Patler
04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Actually, a lot of candidates for 2010.

Shields for coming from nowhere in training camp to give the Packers a reasonable third corner.

Walden for coming midseason and giving the Packers a couple very good games when they had to win out the season.

Howard Greene for doing everything he could to get to GB when called, then playing a big part the very next weekend when half the d-line was injured, and the rest of the season, including a big super bowl play.

Starks for his late contributions.

Peprah for stepping up as a starter when no one expected anything from him.

Smidgeon
04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
For the Super Bowl season, I'd nominate Howard Green.

Joemailman
04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
1996: Desmond Howard: A bust in Washington, he was in danger of not making the Packer roster until a kick return for a TD late in the preseason. Went on to have a great season returning, and was Super Bowl MVP.

2010: Howard Green: Picked up off the scrap heap mid-season when Injuries decimated the Packers DL. Had a key sack of Jay Cutler in a must-win situation against the Bears last game of the year. Produced the hit on Ben Roethlisberger that forced the interception that Nick Collins returned for a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

Smeefers
04-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Haha, what about Jarrett Bush? He was everyone's favorite whipping boy (and still is in some circles), but then the super bowl comes around and our entire secondary gets hurt and Jarrett bush single handidly saved the day... err, or something like that.

3irty1
04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Ryan Grant very much saved ass in the 2007 season.

Samkon Gado saved 4 games worth of ass in 2005. In fact he's like the Christian Bale of running backs, he also "saved" Miami's 2007 season.

Josh Sitton was kind of the real version of Wilkerson. The dead last pick of the 4th round in 2008 who immediately won a starting spot. But then he got hurt I think.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I like the thread, but I think the Wilkerson story is a bit off. I'm pretty sure he was with the team for the whole season, after signing in the off season. He just didn't play until the last game of the year and the playoff games.

But you are confirming that the Packers found him in an Airport terminal?

pbmax
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Haha, what about Jarrett Bush? He was everyone's favorite whipping boy (and still is in some circles), but then the super bowl comes around and our entire secondary gets hurt and Jarrett bush single handidly saved the day... err, or something like that.

That's a nomination with everything, early success, struggles, setbacks, him against every Packer fan, triumph. Plus it will drive Bretsky nuts. :lol:

Patler
04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
But you are confirming that the Packers found him in an Airport terminal?

Well, it was either that, or in a grocery store stocking shelves. I have forgotten which.
Both are prime locations for finding washed up NFL players.

Patler
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Earl Little - 2005. The Packers had no talent and no leadership in the d-backfield and he stepped in and.....wait...I'm thinking about what was SUPPOSED TO happen.

Never mind.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Earl Little - 2005. The Packers had no talent and no leadership in the d-backfield and he stepped in and.....wait...I'm thinking about what was SUPPOSED TO happen.

Never mind.

Ahhhh yes - the Arturo Freeman era.

Patler
04-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Ahhhh yes - the Arturo Freeman era.

...and Marquand Manuel, and Mark Roman, and a bunch of long forgottens like Horton, Thornburg, Fontenot and Wishom!

Zool
04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
...and Marquand Manuel, and Mark Roman, and a bunch of long forgottens like Horton, Thornburg, Fontenot and Wishom!

Where's Whisper Goodman now-a-days?

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 09:27 AM

He's been awfully quiet.

Patler
04-25-2012, 09:36 AM

I think he still lives in Green Bay. He is an MMA fighter.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Desmond Bishop for making that shoe lace tackle on his college teammate Deshawn Jackson. If he doesnt make that tackle Jackson is taking it to the house and we most likely get knocked out of the 1st round instead of winning the Super Bowl.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Don "Magic Man" Majkowski has to be in there somewhere. Drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 10th round of the 1987 draft. During the 1987 season Majkowski's salary was $65,000. His 1989 season was "Majik."

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 09:53 AM
For 2010 I would second the nomination of Shields as mentioned above. Late pick who out preformed in the end season / post season run. He even came back from an injury in the superbowl and still made a play or two.

I would also like to second the nomination for Ryan Grant as he was a FA released (twice I believe) by the Giants and then turns into a top 5 RB (que the thrown tomatoes) for a two year period.

I would like to nominate Scott Wells, the man nobody liked and they kept trying to replace, for his excellent run at center. This is based from both his draft status (7th round I believe) and everyone expecting him to be pushed around.

sheepshead
04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
The Cowboys for taking Ware and Spears. Rodgers falls in our laps..