PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins to Be Released by the Packers

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/148881405.html

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Interesting. Either he is not healthy enough to play, or the team just doesn't want to have Nick Collins' spinal fluid on their hands.

Ballboy
04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Kinda of expected, one would wonder if the Donald Driver & AJ Hawk moves are next.

What numbers does this save us against the cap?

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
They just restructured Donald and AJ Hawk just signed his deal last year and would cost the Packers significantly to release him, some where in the neighborhood of 6-8 million

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Kinda of expected, one would wonder if the Donald Driver & AJ Hawk moves are next.

Probably not much. His salary was about ~$3.5M, but now they have to account for the remainder of his signing bonus. And I don't remember how much that was.

ND72
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM

neither will happen. Donald might redo to lower amount, but not release. AJ would cost us more to cut him than to keep him.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Good luck Nick. What a terrible way to end an otherwise terrific Packer career.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Damn it. I was really hoping to get him back.

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
What a way to kill the upbeat feeling going into the draft. TT has to hit an extra home run to make up for this loss. I hope the BPA is a saftey at some point during the draft.

Patler
04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens. Will he retire because medical reports were not favorable, or will he try to sign on somewhere else because the reports were good and the Packers just didn't want to take the chance?

From the team's perspective, this hurts. It was a position that seemed to be filled with a rock solid player that could play another 4-6 years. Losing a 28 year old star sets things back, just like early round draft picks who never develop. It results in a weakness you hoped not to have..

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkZUAGO_i0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkZUAGO_i0

RashanGary
04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Driver needs a pay cut
Thompson is on record saying "they said DJ Smith was too short. We think he's a really good player"
Cutting Hawk costs 6.4 mil (but saves them 3.8 in base, so it's really 1.8 mil net loss), but saves a lot of money each of the next 4 years (money for Matthews/Raji)
Woodson's pay goes way down after this season. His play should decline, but he's still good and he should be safe.

SUCKS TO LOSE COLLINS. UGH!!!!!!

If we want to keep guys like Jennings, Matthews, Raji and Rodgers, it means we're going to have to play with younger, less expensive players around them. High priced, mediocre players are all at risk. Like Barnett a couple years ago, Hawk is on that bubble now. Driver too unfortunately.

The downfall of having too much talent is that you have to pick and choose the guys you think are difference makers over the guys you think are getting paid too much.

ND72
04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
damn...I really liked Collins. He was a "gem" for Thompson. He and his family were really good community people. Still remember refing a charity game when he played...him and tramon williams were just stupid athletic. They would just keep throwing alley-oops to Collins, and he would just jump over people.

Buddy of mine just text me. Said he asked his chiropractor about it. He said the neck itself is likely fine, and is in no danger of having any lingering or dangerous effects. It's what is happening in his spine that the team is likely worried about. He said most cases he's seen from this same type of situation would lead him to believe Collins could come back for maybe 2-3 more years, but likely have many back issues caused by his spine, and would retire by then, and also have further issues with his back the rest of his life.

Patler
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Probably not much. His salary was about ~$3.5M, but now they have to account for the remainder of his signing bonus. And I don't remember how much that was.

Per JSO:

Collins was to get $4.05 million in salary and bonuses, and the Packers will gain $3.05 million against the cap. SO there must be only $1 million to account for. Plus, I think he was signed only through 2013 anyway, so just two years worth of bonuses to account for.

As I recall, Collins was signed during the uncapped season, and received a big chunk of his contract as salary that year rather than as the typical signing bonus.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Saw this coming but still sucks, Collins was the 2nd best FS in the league behind Ed Reed. I doubt it will happen but I would still like them to move Woodson to FS next season.

ND72
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Saw this coming but still sucks, Collins was the 2nd best FS in the league behind Ed Reed. I doubt it will happen but I would still like them to move Woodson to FS next season.

I wouldn't be shocked...I know Wood played a lot of "nickle" but his play was more like a FS.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Have they restructured Driver's number this year? I haven't seen that.

I am guessing that since he was released he will seeking other opportunities, but the Packers did the same thing with Clifton and I expect him to retire.

I have read that the previous hernia will not return since the bad disk was replaced with a segment of bone. If he had no narrowing, he has no immediate concern for injury. However, because that space in his neck is less flexible, the areas above and below the fusion will be under more stress. So its not unusual to have another, similar injury in a slightly different place.

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM

If Shields improves and we pick up a decent third CB then they should move Wood to FS. The biggest problem is if Shields improves to that level quickly enough.

MadScientist
04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Sad, but it is the right move, and not in the least bit unexpected. The real question is why let this news out the day before the draft? By showing this card it will be a little harder / more expensive to get a good safety in the draft.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I am getting a very wist-like feeling that with the number of open spots as a starter, we might be just as concerned about pass rush next week as we are now.

Honestly could see a LT, S, or CB in first two rounds. I hope Sherrod is doing as well as M3 seemed to indicate.

Ty Dunne thinks release and not retire news means he will look elsewhere.

Kiwon
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
As opposed to Peyton Manning, I took the lack of news about Collins as a bad sign.

Difficult way to end his Packer career. LeRoy Butler was bothered when Collins was drafted and got his old number. But TT assured him that Collins was special and would represent his number well. Thompson was right.

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I am getting a very wist-like feeling that with the number of open spots as a starter, we might be just as concerned about pass rush next week as we are now.

Honestly could see a LT, S, or CB in first two rounds. I hope Sherrod is doing as well as M3 seemed to indicate.

Ty Dunne thinks release and not retire news means he will look elsewhere.

Please not an LT. Newhouse is good enough to start, as shown by last year, and if Sherrod heals well he can backup till he is ready. S or CB is fine by me, but not LT. At best I hope we dont go OL till rd 3 or 4 (to get our future hall of fame center).

denverYooper
04-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Interesting. Either he is not healthy enough to play, or the team just doesn't want to have Nick Collins' spinal fluid on their hands.

A little of column A, a little of column B. I don't think these are mutually exclusive clauses.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Tough week with Clifton and Collins released.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 12:15 PM
http://packerrats.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Brandon494 http://packerrats.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?p=664190#post664190)

"Saw this coming but still sucks, Collins was the 2nd best FS in the league behind Ed Reed. I doubt it will happen but I would still like them to move Woodson to FS next season." Brandon494

a) If you saw it coming why does it suck? Did you have difficulty dealing with 'your own' reality?

I always say that: Wisdom means relaxing to the TRUTH. Just as best you can be sure of yours.

b) Ohh....why would 'YOU' recommend such a move. Taking our best CB and moving him to a new for him position. Chuck Woodson has already expressed that he desires to remain at status; Packer management has clearly stated that inspite of anything Nick Collins. CW will remain at cornerback.

You've decided differently. Please inform us as to the reason you see it differently than MM. Enlighten us.

Thanks 'so much'. (-:

GO Ted Thompson ! GO PACK GO !

Guiness
04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Really sorry to hear this. I also wonder how this has/will play out. So little information, and really nothing new, medical wise, in the article. It's hard to tell what the Packers are basing their decision on, there has been no reports about what the doctors have said. I guess we have to assume at least one of them didn't like something. Not sure if he didn't like what he saw, or if he didn't like the idea of playing after that sort of an injury, period. My gut tells me the later, and from what MM said in the earlier article, he felt the same.

btw Great video of Nick making the biggest play, on the biggest stage. Floated across and under the ball, they should've awarded Howard Greene half an int for that! I forgot about him 'going to the ground' for the unsportmanlike after. Can hardly blame him for that.

SavedByGrace
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I am very sad to hear this. As much as I'd like to see him keep playing, I wouldn't want to see him in another uniform. This will definitely have a negative impact on our defense and probably cause us some shock to see what happens during the draft. I'm sure TT and all Packer management have all had this as a possibility for a long time and have been planning drafting and FA senarios around it, along with Clifton's release.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Please not an LT. Newhouse is good enough to start, as shown by last year, and if Sherrod heals well he can backup till he is ready. S or CB is fine by me, but not LT. At best I hope we dont go OL till rd 3 or 4 (to get our future hall of fame center).

I agree, but two healthy tackles isn't going to cut it. If Sherrod is going to be OK, I think they will take a development guy for the 4th spot. But if Sherrod presents any concern, that moves it higher on the list.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Ted Thompson has gone on record that his team is strong and it will be business as usual in the DRAFT. That he'll not panic into selecting BPA on 'D'. That he will stick with what is universally regarded as the best overall long term program.

Ted Thompson 'will always' select BPA. Of course ... BPA from Ted Thompson's BIG BOARD.

a) I wonder does anyone but TT see his BIG Board?

b) How many times does he diddle with that 'BIG' board before his DRAFT. No one could know as he's always or generally alone in his office. Ever wonder about the same thing? Don't think about it too much.

c) The WAR Room. Are 'his people' there... to handle telephone calls (deal with draft day trades etc.)

d) The WAR Room. For Packer Draft Scouts to eat donuts and drink strong coffee and best they can; avoid ulcers as he ignores all their best efforts to ensure just a smidgeon of influence.

Ted Thompson is 'in CONTROL'.

The NFL Draft is Ted Thompson's BIG Play. It's his happy place >>his sandbox. He plays alone ! I LOVE him for that. His independance is 'uncommon'.

The Draft >>> I gurantee y'all surprizes. Some happy ... some sad. Some good ... some bad. (-:

Try to make a TT prediction!?

What player >>what round ! Uhh !!

Are you kiddin' me !! If so >>> Your luckier then an Irishman left alone in a tap pub.

We are all about to become members of 'Ted's Magical and Secret World' again. Don't you love it !?

We all LOVE him as he's so unique. I certainly appreciate Ted Thompson.

GO TEDDY !

to TED's ......... world. Three cheers !!!

gbgary
04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
just saw this on fb. hate to hear it but i understand. he was a terrific Packer.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
http://packerrats.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Brandon494 http://packerrats.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?p=664190#post664190)

"Saw this coming but still sucks, Collins was the 2nd best FS in the league behind Ed Reed. I doubt it will happen but I would still like them to move Woodson to FS next season." Brandon494

a) If you saw it coming why does it suck? Did you have difficulty dealing with 'your own' reality?

I always say that: Wisdom means relaxing to the TRUTH. Just as best you can be sure of yours.

b) Ohh....why would 'YOU' recommend such a move. Taking our best CB and moving him to a new for him position. Chuck Woodson has already expressed that he desires to remain at status; Packer management has clearly stated that inspite of anything Nick Collins. CW will remain at cornerback.

You've decided differently. Please inform us as to the reason you see it differently than MM. Enlighten us.

Thanks 'so much'. (-:

Clueless...smh.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree, but two healthy tackles isn't going to cut it. If Sherrod is going to be OK, I think they will take a development guy for the 4th spot. But if Sherrod presents any concern, that moves it higher on the list.

Remember Lang can also fill in at tackle if need be. I don't see anyway TT selecting a T in the first two rounds. I see him taking a O-line with one of our 4th round picks.

Freak Out
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Lame sauce. Sad to see Nick go but it sounds like he should hang it up.

Fritz
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I was in a New York airport when I saw, in a newspaper, the selection in (I think) the second round of some guy, some safety, I'd never really heard of. I was so, so bummed by that draft pick. Some unknown named Nick Collins. When I got back to Detroit and read a little bit about him online, I was further bummed: athletic, but a slow learner, not sure he can adapt to the NFL, and so on.

Shows you how much I know. He became a superb safety after taking a couple years, like Darren Sharper, to develop. He was super athletic, and once he developed and understood, he was all pro. I think his loss this year was big - he could've helped cover up some of the pass rush deficiencies just with his ability to cover so much ground. There may have been fewer big plays (playoff game, anyone?) had he been back there.

As a fan, I have such mixed feelings. I'm a little irked on the one hand. I love my Packers, and if Nick Collins signs on with someone else - especially an NFC opponent - and stays healthy and plays well, I will be a little angry. However, this is tempered by my pride that the Packer organization really does care about its players as people - at least when it comes to the big things, like one's long-term health.

We all know how much pressure there is on these guys to win - from Murphy to Thompson to McCarthy to the assistant to the assistant special teams coach, the pressure to win presses down on them constantly. Knowing that, I understand how tempting it would have been to let Collins come back, make sure everyone knew you'd advised him not to but understood his desire to play, then cross your fingers and hope nothing awful happened, and even if he got hurt, it wouldn't look too serious - that any really serious effects would occur down the road, after Collins was gone.

But the Packers seem to really have been concerned about Collins as a human being. They just don't want the guy to take the chance, and they don't want to be the ones to allow it to happen. If anyone suggests they might've wanted to save salary cap money, I'll laugh. Four million for a year for a pro bowl safety? Very affordable. Very.

I can only conclude that the Packers just didn't feel it was safe, so they did the honorable thing.

What a blow to the organization. And at a position at which there appear to be few legitimate starting safeties in the draft. I've only seen three mentioned at all.

I do wonder what Collins will do, and which NFL team will take the chance and sign him. I'm guessing, if Collins decides to play, that someone will. My candidates (based on my perception of the organization's shady factor) are the Jets, the Lions, or the Seahawks (because of Carroll, not Schneider).

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Clueless...smh.

Ahh Brandon494...just an observation but... it seems to me your better for that reach.

Brandon494
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
You are annoying please do not respond to anything I say... THANKS

sheepshead
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone have a thought as to why TT is doing this the week before the draft rather then after the draft?

Bossman641
04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Damn this sucks. Really hard to believe that I will never again see Collins covering an ungodly amount of ground to break up/pick off a deep pass. The thought of a Collins/Burnett pairing for the next 4-5 years had me really excited. Thanks for your time Nick!!

Smidgeon
04-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Tough week with Clifton and Collins released.

I feel worse about this one than I did about Clifton. Clifton played an entire career. He was even the oldest at his position at one point. Collins--well, it just feels like his career was cut short and we'll never know how good he could have been. I think there's a fair chance that if he'd stuck around, he'd have HOF potential with his deep ball, single safety coverage play. Now we'll never know and while that's good for his health, it kind of sucks as a fan who doesn't get to see someone talented continue to play.

Smidgeon
04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Damn this sucks. Really hard to believe that I will never again see Collins covering an ungodly amount of ground to break up/pick off a deep pass. The thought of a Collins/Burnett pairing for the next 4-5 years had me really excited. Thanks for your time Nick!!

This as well.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Lame sauce. Sad to see Nick go but it sounds like he should hang it up.

Yes too much on the line (LIFE) and Nick Collins hopefully handled his money well. He's been a great surprize as we all recall the moment he was drafted. A legitimate strong pick by TT that proved the Packer System can work.

Who the heck is that. Do y'all recall that moment when ted thompson selected him.All of us that saturday evening perched in front of the tube or at a PC waiting with abated breath.

Who did you covet instead of Ted's surprize second round pick? Personally I was begging for this guy**.

** DE Justin Tuck out of Notre Dame (6' 5" and over 260 lbs) of the NFL Champion NEW YORK GIANTS !!!

Another really solid defensive player. We need our Justin Tuck in this draft.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Anyone have a thought as to why TT is doing this the week before the draft rather then after the draft?

Not sure it was by design - the news is coming from Nick's agent.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
You are annoying please do not respond to anything I say... THANKS

Then clean up your stinking attitude. That doesn't play here.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Remember Lang can also fill in at tackle if need be. I don't see anyway TT selecting a T in the first two rounds. I see him taking a O-line with one of our 4th round picks.

You should go to market research and if that pass's muster go to production and market 'that crystal ball' Brandon484.

It's special. Good Luck. (-:

Cheesehead Craig
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Well said. I agree as well.

I can certainly see why TT released him though. It would likely haunt him if he allowed Nick to come back and then something really catastrophic happened to his neck. I think they are looking out for him in the big picture of things which is far more important.

Smeefers
04-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks 'so much'. (-:

a) you can see a train coming, but if you're foot is stuck in the track and the train hits you, it sucks. It's not "dealing with reality," it's a common response when something shitty happens even when you know it's coming. Man, mom has been sick for weeks and I knew she was getting bad, and she finally died of cancer. man, that sucks

b) Wood said last year he wanted to stay at CB, didn't say nothing about this year. This is also the route many people, not just Brandon have suggested for woodson for several years now. So much so that it's becoming accepted doctrine that this is what will eventually happen if Woodson wants to keep playing after his prime. It's like A-Rod (yankees) finally moving to outfield from SS in order to keep playing. Nobody knows the plan this year with our lineup and wood moving to FS is a strong possiblity.

Clear things up for ya buttercup?

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I feel worse about this one than I did about Clifton. Clifton played an entire career. He was even the oldest at his position at one point. Collins--well, it just feels like his career was cut short and we'll never know how good he could have been. I think there's a fair chance that if he'd stuck around, he'd have HOF potential with his deep ball, single safety coverage play. Now we'll never know and while that's good for his health, it kind of sucks as a fan who doesn't get to see someone talented continue to play.

I've seen it happen a lot now. Tim Lewis, Brian Noble, Terrence Murphy, etc. These sudden career enders to guys that aren't past their prime is tough.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I've seen it happen a lot now. Tim Lewis, Brian Noble, Terrence Murphy, etc. These sudden career enders to guys that aren't past their prime is tough.

Sterling......

Guiness
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks 'so much'. (-:

That was a little harsh Woody.

I don't know that Woodson will be moved to 'safety' per say, but I think MM will take a page out of the OL coaching handbook, and find a way to get his best players on the field. IMO that means Woodson, T. Williams and Shields are out there playing DB every down. Whether you call Woodson a cornerback, safety or rover, it matters little.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
a) you can see a train coming, but if you're foot is stuck in the track and the train hits you, it sucks. It's not "dealing with reality," it's a common response when something shitty happens even when you know it's coming. Man, mom has been sick for weeks and I knew she was getting bad, and she finally died of cancer. man, that sucks

b) Wood said last year he wanted to stay at CB, didn't say nothing about this year. This is also the route many people, not just Brandon have suggested for woodson for several years now. So much so that it's becoming accepted doctrine that this is what will eventually happen if Woodson wants to keep playing after his prime. It's like A-Rod (yankees) finally moving to outfield from SS in order to keep playing. Nobody knows the plan this year with our lineup and wood moving to FS is a strong possiblity.

Clear things up for ya buttercup?

A) "you can see a train coming, but if you're foot is stuck in the track and the train hits you, it sucks" Smeefers

No ...what sucks is that 'a man' your age, would be playing near the tracks. LOL You missed on that analogy IMO

"Man, mom has been sick for weeks and I knew she was getting bad, and she finally died of cancer. man, that sucks" Smeefers

There ...... 'of course' you got to me.

All the same I know this as it appears FINAL 'reality check' ......

RE: one of our very best. Never 'in the Green and GOLD' again isn't easy to swollow. Especially given the value of Nick Collins to our 3-4 scheme. This is a bitter pill of reality.

Imagine how all of the Brett Favre fans felt here and all over Packer Nation when TT turfed him. Maybe it's stuff like losing a Nick Collins that adds a certain understanding to how we need to feel across the board?

NO losing Nick Collins doesn't just ...SUCK.

It's alot worse than the Generation 'X' term that we have to bear...it SUCKS! That SUCKS !!

b) " Wood said last year he wanted to stay at CB, didn't say nothing about this year. This is also the route many people, not just Brandon have suggested for woodson for several years now. So much so that it's becoming accepted doctrine that this is what will eventually happen if Woodson wants to keep playing after his prime. It's like A-Rod (yankees) finally moving to outfield from SS in order to keep playing. Nobody knows the plan this year with our lineup and wood moving to FS is a strong possiblity.

Clear things up for ya buttercup? " Smeefers

B) Response woodbuck27:

All I know from what I read recently is that it's TT's and MM's stance on CB Charles Woodsonn at CB this season.That is what I read.End of that.

By the way I'm Woody or woodbuck or woodbuck27 to you. You may call me Ed or Eddie oe Edwin Thanks.

buttercup !? NOPE .........That's not me. Maybe if you found one you could call you lady that. Maybe I'm confused about your sexual persuasion. Life is full 'of mystery'.

I could call you 'Slingo' but that isn't right is it.

Have a Super day.

GO TED THOMPSON !

Fritz
04-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I wonder if the team did it before the draft as a favor to Collins? Would the possibility of signing Nick Collins be enough to change a team's draft day strategy, causing a team to NOT pick a safety, thinking they had a potential deal with Collins?

It seems farfetched, I know. But I'm guessing. If the Pack wanted to wait, all they had to do was not tell Collins through his agents that they were planning on releasing him.

But then again, maybe they didn't want to tip their hand when they drafted a safety in the first three rounds or something.

hell, I don't know.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I wish Nick the best. But he better not sign with MN.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I wonder if the team did it before the draft as a favor to Collins? Would the possibility of signing Nick Collins be enough to change a team's draft day strategy, causing a team to NOT pick a safety, thinking they had a potential deal with Collins?

It seems farfetched, I know. But I'm guessing. If the Pack wanted to wait, all they had to do was not tell Collins through his agents that they were planning on releasing him.

But then again, maybe they didn't want to tip their hand when they drafted a safety in the first three rounds or something.

hell, I don't know.

Getting Nick's agent to play along with such a ruse seems like a longshot.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
That was a little harsh Woody.

I don't know that Woodson will be moved to 'safety' per say, but I think MM will take a page out of the OL coaching handbook, and find a way to get his best players on the field. IMO that means Woodson, T. Williams and Shields are out there playing DB every down. Whether you call Woodson a cornerback, safety or rover, it matters little.

Yes. I feel like I'm back in training. If I allow disrespect it just gets worse Guiness.

Why is it 'in the Land of the true north STRONG and FREE'. Piling on is disrespected? A true dishonour??

I promise I'm not anywhere even marginally close to full blown wodbuck27 will kick your ass mode. LOL

I'm being 'very nice' under the circumstances.

By the way. Nick Collins surprized me. The real issue with moving Chuck to FS is what is really at CB to replace him?

That question was obvious as we ended the 2011 season and should be as or more obvious.

GO Ted Thompson.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
fuck

pbmax
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Its a good question. I would imagine they could have delayed the news for either technically. But if Collins wants to pursue other avenues, then before the draft might be a good thing. Even if its too late to line up meetings and physicals.

It also might be the realization that the news is going to hit regardless. To ignore it just causes a distraction.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM

hell, I don't know.

From a Green Bay Packer 'Management' standpoint the timing of this is puzzling. I think Nicks agent took control.This news wouldn't have been exactly the greatest news to Nick's agent.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Your calmer today.

Thanks Scott.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Time to test out the ignore feature, I've heard enough.

Smidgeon
04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
fuck

Reminded me of the Morgan Burnett IR indefinitely-nested quote thread. Good times. :)

Smidgeon
04-25-2012, 02:39 PM

I added rep just for putting up with it so long. :D

George Cumby
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Timing aside, I have to believe TT et.al. are doing this for honorable reasons; the quote being something like "I wouldn't want my son playing."

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 02:51 PM

That needs to go both ways pbmax. That just for a start Sir. How can you place an abusive stalking poster like Scott Campbell on IGNORE when he continually stalks me? How is that certain claim handled by you pbmax..to protect me?

You'll sit there and watch and watch the likes of Scott Campbell do his abuse...the most outrageous garbage posts on and on and on and that's just great. You suspend him and he come back angrier and more beligerant and more viscious then ever and you glorify him.

How can you live with that pbmax?

Placing the likes of Scott Campbell ON ignore ISN'T THE SOLUTION. That hardly gets it done.

You need to institute a Scott Campbell RULE. That Scott Campbell has to stop his outrageous abuse or ban him for life from Packerrats.

Is that such a novel idea? it's my most sincere and honest assessment of Scott Campbell over six difficult years that he should be banned from Packerrats. How often has he been suspended pbmax? Many times...right!

So has that been any deterrant against his abuse? Of course NOT man.

Do the sensable thing and ban him from Packerrats.

If I stand in for myself or fight for respect I'm a really bad member here. BULLSHIT !

I can exercise the IGNORE Function but will SC go away? Not a fricken' chance. He's over the top abusive,oppressive,obsessive and mailiscious. He never lets go because he's SICK.

Scott Campbell has FREE rein. His behaviour is applauded ..as something amusing.

That's a good example of what..............SUCKS !

You have rules for me. A poster that has every right to fight for my dignity and respect.

You have NO RULES for Scott Campbell.

Posters here that imagine they can act just like Scott Campbell 'get in their feeding frenzy'.Thats never going to knock me down. That doesn't make it less challenging. When I'm challenged sometimes I'll have to accept that. That's my human nature.

Why should I be expected to IGNORE such abuse pbmax? That IGNORE feature isn't 'idiot proof' nor is it any blessing on me if he knowing I've got him 'on IGNORE' continyes to slander me.

Cut the head off the snake. Ban Scott Campbell from Packerrats... if he cannot smarten up and stop the abuse.

PLEASE pbmax do the exact right thing for this forum. I realize you do not have sucj power but you can impose on his abuse.

No apology from him is ever sincere. he's clearly a sick man.

Place the ultimate sanction against Scott Campbell..BAN Scott Campbell if he doesn't finally get over his obsessions and abusive slander of me.

It's just this pbmax.

Do you ever imagine I enjoy having to continually post for the respect I'm denied by the likes of Scott Campbell? If you do your mistaken. It's not a challenge it's OLD.

How many times have you read his posts of utter abuse of me. Outrageous abuse.You let that go even when I have him 'on Ignore' and at 'no time' question yourself? What about that is right pbmax? Maybe your not aware of how the ignore feature has this problem? He's even with his buddy Zool ensure I saw his 'dirt' by posting ZOOL to ensure i would. Is that fair or even funny?

Mad asked Scott Campbell and I to place one another on IGNORE. He did so what... months ago. I complied with Mad's request immediately. What did Scott Campbell do?

I respected Mad's request as a 'NO BRAINER'while Scott Campbell ignored Mad and just kept on truckin' his abuse. He never missed a tick. How did that work? His way is to beat a poster to death and then actually post that he likes that poster.That's beyond obsession that's clearly antisocial possibly psychotic behaviour.I'm no psychologist/psychiatrist so unqualified to diagnose Scott Campbell.

Scott Campbell often tells Packerrats that I'm mentally ill. I am NOT mentally ill.

Put yourself in my place for one minutes thought.How would that feel pbmax? From my position it's horrid behaviour on Scott Campbell's part. NOT hardly acceptable.

I'll do my part for Packerrats and put Scott Campbell on IGNORE again. It will be done in less than a minute.

What do you need to do pbmax?Maybe simply 'think'.

I stand by every word I've written above.

It's NOT fair for me to ask for Scott Campbell's banning. I will deal with his abuse as I always have done.

I am confident that Scott Campbell will get all he deserves. Life has it's way of ensuring that.

I retract asking that Scott Campbell be banned forever from Packerrats.

Fosco33
04-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Collectively - this blows. Not totally unexpected based on M3's previous comments...

I'm a firm believer that this role is truly the QB of the defense - helping w/ communication, alignment, etc.

Think about when we had LeRoy and the dropoff... you could feel the defense suffer without Nick.

Now - I think we need to do ---
A - get a Jim Leonard type veteran
B - move Chuck
C - besides drafting, etc.

sheepshead
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Yeah, but TT could control that too. Maybe in each case the 'need' is there for the Pack no matter what... I dont know. Just seems like an easy thing to wait a few days.

Zool
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
The fact that Collins has been to 5 experts on the subject leads me to think he's not getting the answer he wants.

Cheesehead Craig
04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
The fact that Collins has been to 5 experts on the subject leads me to think he's not getting the answer he wants.

Excellent point oh thick glasses one!

pbmax
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but TT could control that too. Maybe in each case the 'need' is there for the Pack no matter what... I dont know. Just seems like an easy thing to wait a few days.

Could be. But they have stalled since March and Collins, if healthy should be able to do some portion of offseason workouts. They may not have wanted to go down that road.

Clifton same thing if they pass him on physical this time around.

MadScientist
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
From the GBG, Collins is eligible for 1.5 M in injury payments (1M this year and .5M next) if he never plays again. Does anyone know if this money come from the league or the Packers, and if it comes from the Packers will it count towards the cap? I'm guessing it is from the league and won't be part of the cap, but I'm not 100% sure.

Patler
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
The timing is not odd. The new 90 man roster limit applies to drafted rookies immediately, not when they are signed. It also includes anyone on any roster category such as tendered but unsigned players, reserve categories, etc. If TT wants to draft 12 players and then sign a bunch of U.R.F.A.s, he has to have roster spots for everyone immediately.

In the past you could carry some players you intended to release, because drafted players did not count until signed, and some reserve/injured categories also did not count. Carrying deadwood right now might cause you to be unable to sign a player you like after the draft.

pbmax
04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
The timing is not odd. The new 90 man roster limit applies to drafted rookies immediately, not when they are signed. It also includes anyone on any roster category such as tendered but unsigned players, reserve categories, etc. If TT wants to draft 12 players and then sign a bunch of U.R.F.A.s, he has to have roster spots for everyone immediately.

In the past you could carry some players you intended to release, because drafted players did not count until signed, and some reserve/injured categories also did not count. Carrying deadwood right now might cause you to be unable to sign a player you like after the draft.

Interesting. I wonder why he was in favor of it if it gave him less flexibility this year.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Interesting. I wonder why he was in favor of it if it gave him less flexibility this year.

IDK for sure, but it gave everyone less flexibility so it is not like he was necessarily disadvantaged. It would seem to advantage a team that was able to evaluate well before players got into camp vs. a team that evaluated well only after they were brought in.

Patler
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
From the GBG, Collins is eligible for 1.5 M in injury payments (1M this year and .5M next) if he never plays again. Does anyone know if this money come from the league or the Packers, and if it comes from the Packers will it count towards the cap? I'm guessing it is from the league and won't be part of the cap, but I'm not 100% sure.

This is defined as "Injury Protection" under the new CBA, and will be included in "Team Salary" beginning in 2016. Apparently it is not now. If he passes another team's physical and signs with them, he does not receive "Injury Protection" payments from GB. He gets the second year only because his contract extended into the second year.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

It is part of the new CBA to be paid by the Packers and it will NOT count against the salary (starting in 2016 similar payments will count).

Here is a good explanation:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/salary-cap-savings-injury-benefit-clarification-should-hampton-mendenhall-be-released/

pbmax
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
IDK for sure, but it gave everyone less flexibility so it is not like he was necessarily disadvantaged. It would seem to advantage a team that was able to evaluate well before players got into camp vs. a team that evaluated well only after they were brought in.

Well, if you draft only 7 players, you might pick up 3 spots assuming other counts are equal. But with 12 picks, Thompson was pretty sure to get squeezed.

Patler
04-25-2012, 04:08 PM

MM & TT have long wanted more bodies in training camp. TT has said camp wears out kickers, but you can afford a roster spot for more kickers unless it is for a legitimate tryout. Without a couple kickers/punters MM has said ST practices are difficult. MM complains that injuries ruin practice if concentrated at one position, and he has sometimes cancelled parts of practices because of it.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
This is defined as "Injury Protection" under the new CBA, and will be included in "Team Salary" beginning in 2016. Apparently it is not now. If he passes another team's physical and signs with them, he does not receive "Injury Protection" payments from GB. He gets the second year only because his contract extended into the second year.

Damn you Palter and you're fast typing skills. My post has been rendered redundant. Does this count as being Paterlized?

pbmax
04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
MM & TT have long wanted more bodies in training camp. TT has said camp wears out kickers, but you can afford a roster spot for more kickers unless it is for a legitimate tryout. Without a couple kickers/punters MM has said ST practices are difficult. MM complains that injuries ruin practice if concentrated at one position, and he has sometimes cancelled parts of practices because of it.

So tight now but more bodies in camp. Puts even more of a premium on making good decisions in March. Put that way, I can see them happy to trade off a bit flexibility in a time frame they can plan for versus camp, when they can predict nothing in terms of availability once it starts.

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Well, if you draft only 7 players, you might pick up 3 spots assuming other counts are equal. But with 12 picks, Thompson was pretty sure to get squeezed.

That's true this year. However, they are probably fine with that since they can now get their drafted rookies signed and in camp quickly rather than play number games by delaying their signings.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 04:18 PM

I wonder if any of those extra spots will go to kickers.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Damn you Palter and you're fast typing skills. My post has been rendered redundant. Does this count as being Paterlized?

You're not nearly loose enough with facts to get Patlerized.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I was in a New York airport when I saw, in a newspaper, the selection in (I think) the second round of some guy, some safety, I'd never really heard of. I was so, so bummed by that draft pick. Some unknown named Nick Collins. When I got back to Detroit and read a little bit about him online, I was further bummed: athletic, but a slow learner, not sure he can adapt to the NFL, and so on.

Shows you how much I know. He became a superb safety after taking a couple years, like Darren Sharper, to develop. He was super athletic, and once he developed and understood, he was all pro. I think his loss this year was big - he could've helped cover up some of the pass rush deficiencies just with his ability to cover so much ground. There may have been fewer big plays (playoff game, anyone?) had he been back there.

As a fan, I have such mixed feelings. I'm a little irked on the one hand. I love my Packers, and if Nick Collins signs on with someone else - especially an NFC opponent - and stays healthy and plays well, I will be a little angry. However, this is tempered by my pride that the Packer organization really does care about its players as people - at least when it comes to the big things, like one's long-term health.

We all know how much pressure there is on these guys to win - from Murphy to Thompson to McCarthy to the assistant to the assistant special teams coach, the pressure to win presses down on them constantly. Knowing that, I understand how tempting it would have been to let Collins come back, make sure everyone knew you'd advised him not to but understood his desire to play, then cross your fingers and hope nothing awful happened, and even if he got hurt, it wouldn't look too serious - that any really serious effects would occur down the road, after Collins was gone.

But the Packers seem to really have been concerned about Collins as a human being. They just don't want the guy to take the chance, and they don't want to be the ones to allow it to happen. If anyone suggests they might've wanted to save salary cap money, I'll laugh. Four million for a year for a pro bowl safety? Very affordable. Very.

I can only conclude that the Packers just didn't feel it was safe, so they did the honorable thing.

What a blow to the organization. And at a position at which there appear to be few legitimate starting safeties in the draft. I've only seen three mentioned at all.

I do wonder what Collins will do, and which NFL team will take the chance and sign him. I'm guessing, if Collins decides to play, that someone will. My candidates (based on my perception of the organization's shady factor) are the Jets, the Lions, or the Seahawks (because of Carroll, not Schneider).

Nice Fritz.

Joemailman
04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Then clean up your stinking attitude. That doesn't play here.

Ever think of heeding your own advice?

Fritz
04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Getting Nick's agent to play along with such a ruse seems like a longshot.

I wasn't clear. What I meant was, maybe the Packers didn't want to draft a safety in the first three rounds and let that be the indirect way of telling Collins that they were going to release him. Maybe they figured what the hell, let's let him know now so he doesn't think we're giving him a hint when we draft Smith in the second round. Let's man up and just tell him.

Or maybe they wanted to give Collins a chance to hook up with a team before the draft. But that seems like a long shot - no one's going to sign Collins until he's been physicalled every which way by a team's medical staff.

ThunderDan
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
That needs to go both ways pbmax. That just for a start Sir. How can you place an abusive stalking poster like Scott Campbell on IGNORE when he continually stalks me? How is that certain claim handled by you pbmax..to protect me?

You'll sit there and watch and watch the likes of Scott Campbell do his abuse...the most outrageous garbage posts on and on and on and that's just great. You suspend him and he come back angrier and more beligerant and more viscious then ever and you glorify him.

How can you live with that pbmax?

Placing the likes of Scott Campbell ON ignore ISN'T THE SOLUTION. That hardly gets it done.

You need to institute a Scott Campbell RULE. That Scott Campbell has to stop his outrageous abuse or ban him for life from Packerrats.

Is that such a novel idea? it's my most sincere and honest assessment of Scott Campbell over six difficult years that he should be banned from Packerrats. How often has he been suspended pbmax? Many times...right!

So has that been any deterrant against his abuse? Of course NOT man.

Do the sensable thing and ban him from Packerrats.

If I stand in for myself or fight for respect I'm a really bad member here. BULLSHIT !

I can exercise the IGNORE Function but will SC go away? Not a fricken' chance. He's over the top abusive,oppressive,obsessive and mailiscious. He never lets go because he's SICK.

Scott Campbell has FREE rein. His behaviour is applauded ..as something amusing.

That's a good example of what..............SUCKS !

You have rules for me. A poster that has every right to fight for my dignity and respect.

You have NO RULES for Scott Campbell.

Posters here that imagine they can act just like Scott Campbell 'get in their feeding frenzy'.Thats never going to knock me down. That doesn't make it less challenging. When I'm challenged sometimes I'll have to accept that. That's my human nature.

Why should I be expected to IGNORE such abuse pbmax? That IGNORE feature isn't 'idiot proof' nor is it

Cut the head off the snake. Ban Scott Campbell from Packerrats...

PLEASE pbmax do the exact right thing for this forum.

No apology from him is ever sincere. he's clearly a sick man. Ban him please.

Place the ultimate sanction against Scott Campbell..BAN Scott Campbell.

It's just this pbmax.

Do you ever imagine I enjoy having to continually post for the respect I'm denied by the likes of Scott campbell? If you do your mistaken.

How many times have you read his posts of utter abuse of me. Outrageous abuse.You let that go even when I have him 'on Ignore' and at 'no time' question yourself? What about that is right pbmax? Maybe you not aware of how the ignore feature has this problem?

Mad asked Scott Campbell and I to place one another on IGNORE. He dod so what months ago.

I respected Mad's request as a 'NO BRAINER'while Scott Campbell ignored Mad and just kept on truckin' his abuse he never missed a tick. How did that work?

I'll do my part for Packerrats and put Scott Campbell on IGNORE again. It will be done in less than a minute.

What do you need to do pbmax?Maybe simly 'think'.

PBMax was talking about putting you on IGNORE not Scott.

This post takes the cake. You do know Madtownpacker runs the show not PB?:shock:

sheepshead
04-25-2012, 04:51 PM

I was thinking from a strategic standpoint. Now it'll be clear those are positions he'll be looking at. Just seems like he tipped a hand he didnt need to.

Guiness
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
That's true this year. However, they are probably fine with that since they can now get their drafted rookies signed and in camp quickly rather than play number games by delaying their signings.

+1 to that. It's ridiculous how so many of the rookies don't get signed until the weeks leading up to camp. If they're going to count against the roster anyways, I think you'll see more action on that front earlier...especially with later round picks where the amounts are pretty set, just a bit of quibbling over signing bonuses, and even then the amounts are usually 5 figures.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I wasn't clear. What I meant was, maybe the Packers didn't want to draft a safety in the first three rounds and let that be the indirect way of telling Collins that they were going to release him. Maybe they figured what the hell, let's let him know now so he doesn't think we're giving him a hint when we draft Smith in the second round. Let's man up and just tell him.

Or maybe they wanted to give Collins a chance to hook up with a team before the draft. But that seems like a long shot - no one's going to sign Collins until he's been physicalled every which way by a team's medical staff.

Or they just truthfully answered a direct question from Nick and his agent.

Who knows.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
PBMax was talking about putting you on IGNORE not Scott.

This post takes the cake. You do know Madtownpacker runs the show not PB?:shock:

Holy crap. :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OEoNzDCQX5s/SsQCrfefpUI/AAAAAAAABCI/VRGb9yQAc84/s400/computer+meltdown.JPG

Fritz
04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Probably Patler is right - the team needs the roster spot for all these rookies.

Patler
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM

If you ever saw me type, you would not make such an outlandish statement! :smile:

(Hint - I speak "Dragon"!)

red
04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
what shitty news

sharpe1027
04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
If you ever saw me type, you would not make such an outlandish statement! :smile:

(Hint - I speak "Dragon"!)

Cheater.

woodbuck27
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Ever think of heeding your own advice?

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Joemailman I challenge you.

Find three instances in your history here where I ever incited (began) the sort of crap that Scott Campbell employs here for his self amusment and attention getting needs. Find me posting namecalling and posting language and slander and mischief. Find me posting FLAMES. Hunt for such posts from the outset of any arguments that continue ad nauseum from me Sir. Good Luck with that search. (-:

Until you find that stay out of it.Please.

I would never lower myself to be anything of the likes of Scott Campbell.

GO TED Thompson ! GO PACKERS !

Scott Campbell
04-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I sure hope Nick Collins isn't reading this.

Little Whiskey
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Find three instances in your history here Good Luck with that search.

where is skinbasket when you need him. that dude was the king of search!

George Cumby
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I sure hope Nick Collins isn't reading this.

Right, because reading one of a certain poster's voluminous and unintelligible posts might send him into an involuntary muscle spasm while shaking his head in bewilderment which might endanger his c-spine.

mission
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
I added rep just for putting up with it so long. :D

How do ignore someone? Threads are almost unreadable.

Horrible news though. 'Fuck' is right.

Fritz
04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Right, because reading one of a certain poster's voluminous and unintelligible posts might send him into an involuntary muscle spasm while shaking his head in bewilderment which might endanger his c-spine.

That's some funny shit right there. And you got to laugh or else you'd cry.

Man, I feel for Collins. He sure does sound like a stand-up guy. I hope he doesn't try to continue his career, but if he does, I hope he does not get hurt that way again.

And as bummed as I am, I am proud to be a Packer fan today. It was the right move by the organization, a classy move.

Brandon494
04-26-2012, 06:02 AM

LMAO very nice

Fritz
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
If Collins consulted with five doctors, my guess is at least two said that it'd be a big risk to play.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2012, 07:35 AM

:lol:

Great stuff!

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I know I'm late to the game, But I agreed and repped Zool for the "he's not getting the answer he wants" comment and I repped Pat for the "counting against the roster" comment. Both added a lot to the thread. I'm sorta pissed that I didn't think of zool's comment first and I actually learned something from patler... so... err...

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

Cheesehead Craig
04-26-2012, 08:35 AM
How do ignore someone? Threads are almost unreadable.

Horrible news though. 'Fuck' is right.
Click on the poster's profile that you want to ignore. On the left hand side there's a link that says to put the poster on the ignore list.

Zool
04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Win

Packers4Glory
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
sucks. we've had some good safeties to watch over the yrs w/ Butler, Sharper, and Collins.

I don't care what they say now, the only logical thing to do is move Woodson there and hope a nickle CB develops.

Thanks for playing your ass off Nick

ThunderDan
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
sucks. we've had some good safeties to watch over the yrs w/ Butler, Sharper, and Collins.

I don't care what they say now, the only logical thing to do is move Woodson there and hope a nickle CB develops.

Thanks for playing your ass off Nick

I am not sure I would put Sharper in the same category as Butler and Collins.

Sharper had one great year and that was his contract year. Other than that I thought that he was a good ballhawk, average at most everything else and 1 step slow in coverage.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Just as a fan looking to be entertained, I am relieved that Nick Collins was released. Maybe I'm a nervous Nellie, but I don't want to watch a player who has an iffy neck making tackles. I wouldn't have wanted to see Sterling Sharpe return to GB, even though he came close to making NFL comeback.

It does suck to lose such a good player, and the damage is even worse than a failed first rounder, 'cause Nick Collins has proven himself to be elite.

But heck, we weathered the loss of Atari Bigby, we can get through anything.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Sharper had one great year and that was his contract year. Other than that I thought that he was a good ballhawk, average at most everything else and 1 step slow in coverage.

Sharper a step slow in coverage? Not in Green Bay, anyway. He took some bad tackling angles early in his career, but guy developed into all-pro caliber.

Fritz
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, he was a step slow on that touchdown pass Steve Young threw in the NFC playoffs back in the day...

As for replacing Collins, I wonder if the good words about Medical Doctor (MD) Jennings might suggest he could play a role as a safety this year. Supposedly the guy was as raw as a freshly whipped ass, but had a nose for the ball and was tough.

sharpe1027
04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, he was a step slow on that touchdown pass Steve Young threw in the NFC playoffs back in the day...

As for replacing Collins, I wonder if the good words about Medical Doctor (MD) Jennings might suggest he could play a role as a safety this year. Supposedly the guy was as raw as a freshly whipped ass, but had a nose for the ball and was tough.

Maybe, how about Davon House stepping up to fill the gap made by Woodson's move to safety?

Fritz
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey, if Woodson's good with moving and that's the best place to utilize his skills, then I'm good with it.

I do wonder about House. He seems to me to have been the perfect developmental project. I wonder if we're overlooking him a little.

sharpe1027
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I think House is a good dark horse pick to make some noise next year. Bush is about topped out on the development curve and Shields did not show improvement last year. If Woodson plays less true CB, someone needs to fill the void.

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I am not sure I would put Sharper in the same category as Butler and Collins.

Uhh.. Sharper's #2 on the all time list for intereceptions for safeties and #6 overall. He's a HOFer.

I get where you're coming from though. When we got him, he was a CB and we were the ones who had to figure out how to get him to play awesome at safety.

Cheesehead Craig
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Uhh.. Sharper's #2 on the all time list for intereceptions for safeties and #6 overall. He's a HOFer.

I get where you're coming from though. When we got him, he was a CB and we were the ones who had to figure out how to get him to play awesome at safety.

Sharper as HOF material is the subject of much debate. He's got the picks, but as a tackler he was below average and that's being kind. That's one of the big knocks on him and it's in the forefront of voters minds from what I've seen in the past. For him it seemed if it wasn't an INT or a big hit while the WR wasn't looking he didn't seem very interested.

ThunderDan
04-26-2012, 12:16 PM

I know. That is why I stated he was a good ballhawk. Maybe I should have said great.

I stand by the rest. No HOF in my book.

Packers4Glory
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
the fact that Sharper was good enough to be up for debate as a HOF player supports my original post. We've had a pretty good run at safety.

Smidgeon
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
the fact that Sharper was good enough to be up for debate as a HOF player supports my original post. We've had a pretty good run at safety.

And let's hope that TT hits again. Burnett and Peprah won't cut it. Even if Burnett becomes as good as advertised.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
By the way I'm Woody or woodbuck or woodbuck27 to you. You may call me Ed or Eddie oe Edwin Thanks.

http://blogs.phillynews.com/philly/greatexpectations/Crazy%20Eddie.jpg