PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tackles

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
So the packers finished the year defensively by giving up one of the worst total yards stats in history. One of the leading contributors to yards given up are big plays, of which broken tackles lead to many big plays. One might think that we are a poor tackling team, however

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/broken-tackles-2011-part-ii

We are tied for 7th in terms of tackle sucsess defensively, which was somewhat suprising considering how much I remember yelling at the screen last season.

Though this might be of interest

Smidgeon
04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Interesting since McCarthy harped on that at the end of the year.

3irty1
04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Well they might have had a high percentage of made tackles but I'll bet they also had the most tackles in the league, and it only takes 1 or 2 broken tackles to result in a big play.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Is this another Clifton/Sherrod thread?

Upnorth
04-25-2012, 04:29 PM

LOL good one Woodbuck.

Joemailman
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Broken tackles are a stat from game charting, not from the standard play-by-play. We define a "broken tackle" as one of two events: either the ballcarrier escapes from the grasp of the defender, or the defender is in good position for a tackle but the ballcarrier jukes him out of his shoes. If the ballcarrier sped by a slow defender who dived and missed, that didn't count as a broken tackle. We only measured broken tackles for standard plays; volunteers didn't have the time to track them for all special teams plays.

In other words, if a tackle is missed because a player didn't maintain gap integrity, over-pursued or took a bad angle, that doesn't count as a broken tackle according to Football Outsiders. But I'll bet to MM, it's poor tackling.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2012, 05:01 PM
The Packers were a poor tackling team in 2011. I can't think of a position were the tackling was good.

Pugger
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM

:lol: I was thinking the same thing! ;-)

Smeefers
04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
The Packers were a poor tackling team in 2011. I can't think of a position were the tackling was good.

ST tackling was pretty good... Defense? God.. no.. horrible.