PDA

View Full Version : BOB the dobber MCGINN'S MOCK DRAFT

Bretsky
04-26-2012, 06:18 AM
This is probably the kiss of death for the Pack getting Shea :))
While Bob is the best writer for JS we will ever witness, he's rarely right in his prediction. Only 1st he nailed was Hawk I can remember

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mockdraft26-bc55nbr-148994725.html

Brandon494
04-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Shea over Upshaw? No thanks

Fritz
04-26-2012, 06:41 AM
I think I like Upshaw better, too. But really, I don't know a damn thing about all this. Think of all the film that Ted has studied, think of the scouts who've done this before, who do this for a living.

But then again, that's true for all the NFL teams, yet you still get what are clearly dumb-ass moves by certain organizations. Used to be Al Davis and Matt Millen, but now that those two are gone, it's looking like the Jest and the Skins are the new ass clowns on the block.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 07:38 AM
I think Upshaw is really stiff, and will struggle in coverage and getting to the passer. I think he will be at his best against the run. That being said I haven't watched any film on Shea, so I am not debating between the two.

I think the key to getting to the passer as an outside linebacker is getting off the snap of the ball faster than anyone else on the field. OLBs can't go up against offensive tackles without getting the edge, and to do that you have to beat the tackle getting off the ball, get him moving back faster than he wants, get his footwork out of whack and then you start your pass rush technique, the rip, the swim, the bull rush, break to the inside. Mathews is good pass rusher because he flies off the ball and then he has the advantage.

If Bruce Irving wasn't such a turd, and if he could play in a two point stance he would be a perfect pass rusher because the guy can get off the ball. He only started 6 games in college, and I think he will be available much later in the draft than people think. If the Packers wanted him in the second he should be available.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 07:59 AM
I think I like Upshaw better, too. But really, I don't know a damn thing about all this. Think of all the film that Ted has studied, think of the scouts who've done this before, who do this for a living.

Fritz, I get what you are saying, Ted Thompson has ruined the draft for a lot of people, because all they do is profess their undying trust in the guy, and you will be ripped on forums like these if you dare question TT's ability in drafting. All GMs fuck up, Thompson has had his share, Wolf had his share, and Sherman was a moron, but what fun is it being a fan of a team during draft week and not offer up your opinion like you are fucking Mel Kiper Jr.? If you really wanted to, you could probably watch enough film on the first round guys to make a reasonable determination that would rival that of an NFL scout. Where Thompson makes his money is after the first round. Finding guys that can play later in the draft, I am not talking about the 6th and 7th round I am talking about the 2nd-4th round where teams are built. Thompson puts in the time because it always seems like he has 12 draft picks a year.

Lets look at his first round draft, tell me what you think you would have done?
2011 OT Derrick Sherrod, a little risky considering how raw Sherrod was coming into the draft, it filled a need with Clifton aging.
2010 OT Bryan Bulaga, Good solid pick, filled a need
2009 BJ Raji, Clay Mathews, Raji was the right pick, filled a need, no brainer, Trading up for Clay Mathews was a move where Thompson made his money.
2008 trade back, Jordan Nelson, Again this is where Thompson made his money, no one saw this pick coming, and it taken a few years, but Jordy Nelson is one of the best receivers in football. It didn't exactly fill a need, but the Packers are sure glad they have him.
2007 Justin Harrell, Flat out bad pick, really didnt fill a need. The Packers had Cory Williams, and they were protecting themselves from him leaving through free agency. Even during the draft I question why he would take such a risk on an injured player, that he probably could have landed in the 2nd round.
2006 AJ Hawk At the time, this was a no brainer as well. Hawk was on of the most decorated linebackers coming out of college, ever, and his combine numbers where fantastic
2005 QB Aaron Rodgers - I have my issues with the organization stemming from this pick, but it was a no brainer. It didn't fill an immediate need, not with Favre at QB but, nobody expected Favre to play another 6 seasons after Rodgers was selected with his pick.

There isn't a lot I would have done differently even at the time of these drafts. I wanted the Hawk pick, I knew he was taking Rodgers, I didn't expect Harrell, I wanted Greg Olsen the tight end that went to the Bears, that would have been a better pick then Harrell. I wasn't suprised that Thompson moved back in the draft, but was suprised he grabbed a receiver. Not suprised he took Raji, shocked when he moved up and draft Clay Mathews. No questions about Bulaga, and I was a bit suprised he didn't move back last year, I thought Sherrod was a bit of a reach.

Cleft Crusty
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
While Bob is the best writer for JS we will ever witness....

Ahem!

ND72
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
2008 trade back, Jordan Nelson, Again this is where Thompson made his money, no one saw this pick coming, and it taken a few years, but Jordy Nelson is one of the best receivers in football. It didn't exactly fill a need, but the Packers are sure glad they have him.

I Loved this pick when it happened. I actually watched a couple Kansas State games that year and loved Jordy. I actually bought his jersey right away cause I just knew he'd turn out. I still think he has a ton to grow even.

I agree with you also that these drafts I wouldn't have done a lot different in the 1st round. I knew we were picking Rodgers, who I was one of the few at the time that liked the pick, I wanted AJ Hawk, and my buddies & I hugged and screamed when it happened....I still love him, but I know what he is....Justin Harrell I did not see coming. Leading up to the draft I actually was making fun of any team that would take that guy...crap. I actually wanted nothing to do with BJ Raji. I thought he'd be good, but I just questioned his desire, glad I was wrong. I loved Clay for a long time and kept hoping we could get him somehow, still remember looking up at the screen and had to get the attention of all the guys cause we just traded up. If I remember right we all thought they were going after Michael Oher though. Bulaga and Sherrod I wasn't thrilled about, but I was OK with them. I actually liked Sherrod more than I liked Bulaga.

Pugger
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
We can all agree TT really whiffed on Harrell but he's made more good choices than bad so most of us put our trust in Ted. I'd rather have TT running things than a lot of the stiffs out there managing other teams.

denverYooper
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Shea over Upshaw? No thanks

100% with you. That thickass country strong motherfucker would wreck shop with CMIII on the other side.

ND72
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Here is my final thought in a mock...tear me apart.

1. Indy - Andrew Luck
2. Wash - RG3
3. Minnesota - Matt Kalil
4. Cleveland - Trent Richardson
5. TB - Morris Claiborne
6. STL - Justin Blackmon
7. Jax - Stephon Gilmore
8. Mia - Ryan Tannehill
9. Car - Fletcher Cox
10. Buf - Luke Kuechly
11. KC - Mark Barron
12. Sea - Melvin Ingram
13. Ari - Michael Floyd
14. Dal - Michael Brockers
15. Philly - Dontari Poe
16. NYJ - Chandler Jones
17. Cincy - David DeCastro
18. SD - Courtney Upshaw
19. Chi - Quinton Coples
20. Tenn - Dre Kirkpatrick
21. Cincy - Whitney Mercilus
22. Cleve - Kendall Wright
23. Det - Riley Reiff
24. Pitt - Dont'a Hightower
25. Den - Stephen Hill
26. Hou - Cordy Glenn
27. NE - Nick Perry
28. GB - Shae McClellin
29. Bal - Andre Branch
30. SF - Harrison Smith
31. NE - Brandon Weeden (Expected Trade)
32. NYG - Coby Fleener

I think there might be a lot of trading given the lesser amounts of rookie salaries, but the only one I'm going to "predict" is the #31 pick where NE trades out. I also wouldn't be shocked if NE packages and moves up in this draft.

ND72
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
100% with you. That thickass country strong motherfucker would wreck shop with CMIII on the other side.

IF Upshaw or Hightower drop, I would take them over anyone else.

Fritz
04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I like all the pre-draft talk, and I have learned a lot from people. It's just that I've wallowed in anger and self-pity after Ted makes what seems a dumb, dumb move, only to find out three years later that Odell Thurman or Chad Jackson were turds, and the guys Ted picked were right.

He does screw up, for sure, but he's better at it than most. I like different opinions from posters; it's just that I am becoming more aware of my ignorance on the topic of drafting the older I get.

ND72
04-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I like all the pre-draft talk, and I have learned a lot from people. It's just that I've wallowed in anger and self-pity after Ted makes what seems a dumb, dumb move, only to find out three years later that Odell Thurman or Chad Jackson were turds, and the guys Ted picked were right.

He does screw up, for sure, but he's better at it than most. I like different opinions from posters; it's just that I am becoming more aware of my ignorance on the topic of drafting the older I get.

Kind of like looking at the "experts" top 100, and the fact Teddy likely has a completely different top 100? I seriously just like the discussion it brings.

sharpe1027
04-26-2012, 11:56 AM
We can all agree TT really whiffed on Harrell but he's made more good choices than bad so most of us put our trust in Ted. I'd rather have TT running things than a lot of the stiffs out there managing other teams.

At least Harrell seemed to have the capability of being a starter in the NFL. Hell, if Collins had the same injury a couple years earlier, we'd all be saying he was a bad pick. I'd rather have a GM that picks good players that end up getting injured, than have a GM that picks players that don't get injured but aren't good enough to play anyway.

Smidgeon
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Disagree. He whiffed on Brohm. Harrell suffered an injury unrelated to college couldn't predict (back vs arm) and plenty of people have said he was talented enough to be picked there. Recently someone said Harrell was Suh before Suh was but the back injury destroyed that ability.

I really don't like getting in debates about Harrell anymore since a lot of people already have decided that he was a bust based on talent, but I still think it was a good pick. It's just too bad he got injured.

Smidgeon
04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
At least Harrell seemed to have the capability of being a starter in the NFL. Hell, if Collins had the same injury a couple years earlier, we'd all be saying he was a bad pick. I'd rather have a GM that picks good players that end up getting injured, than have a GM that picks players that don't get injured but aren't good enough to play anyway.

Excellent point. Agree completely. Repped.

RashanGary
04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I think Upshaw is really stiff, and will struggle in coverage and getting to the passer. I think he will be at his best against the run. That being said I haven't watched any film on Shea, so I am not debating between the two.

Watch McClellin. I really like his game.

pbmax
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Hold on a second. Two people have said they knew Rodgers was going to be the Packers pick. I distinctly remember that not being a prime topic of conversation before that draft (though, that draft was while many members of pre-PackerRats were wandering in the wilderness-2005). I do remember late in draft silly season there was a rumor or article about Rodgers falling out of the top 10 and then having no real landing place until the 20s or so, if he was not the first pick. Ted later said they were aware of the possibility and had mocked it.

So when did you know Rodgers was going to the Packers? I thought it was possible once he got past Dallas at pick 20. They obviously has other needs, but just as clearly had no backup and no successor to Favre.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2005

3irty1
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Michael Brockers is like a Justin Harrell clone. Had Harrell been healthy the Packers might be back to back superbowl champions right now IMO. Harrell was a fantastic pick at the time. Only pick that Thompson ever truly sucked on was Brohm. Brohm has no excuse, he just isn't good.

Zool
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
So when did you know Rodgers was going to the Packers? I thought it was possible once he got past Dallas at pick 20. They obviously has other needs, but just as clearly had no backup and no successor to Favre.

I won't say I knew for sure, but when he dropped to the Packers pick I actually said outloud "shit they are going to take Rodgers"

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Hold on a second. Two people have said they knew Rodgers was going to be the Packers pick. I distinctly remember that not being a prime topic of conversation before that draft (though, that draft was while many members of pre-PackerRats were wandering in the wilderness-2005). I do remember late in draft silly season there was a rumor or article about Rodgers falling out of the top 10 and then having no real landing place until the 20s or so, if he was not the first pick. Ted later said they were aware of the possibility and had mocked it.

When the Packers went on the clock and he was still available.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I won't say I knew for sure, but when he dropped to the Packers pick I actually said outloud "shit they are going to take Rodgers"!"

I think I said something like,"Sweet Jesus fucking Christ Don't take that motherfucker!"

Guiness
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Well, no one really specified when they knew he was going to be a Pack pick. I was like you...around the time the Vikings picked up James with their second pick it started looking likely. It never occurred to me before that!

King Friday
04-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I think we are going to be happy with whoever we get, because the options to bolster our pass rush seem to be anything but limited. Just about any of the 4 or 5 guys people generally say Green Bay should consider would be a nice addition.

woodbuck27
04-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Look at the picks before Aaron Rodgers to us at #24. Defining first round draft status as successful ...'as making a Pro Bowl'.

How good was that first round? How strong has this group been for the teams drafting them?

woodbuck27
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
!"

I think I said something like,"Sweet Jesus fucking Christ Don't take that motherfucker!"

I said to myself. I hope Brett Favre wasn't watching the proceedings too closely. If he was I was thinking that he's going to be pissed.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Favre was pissed, he stayed pissed for his last 3 years in Green Bay. He wasn't catered to, and it was a shock to his system after the last 7 years under Sherman and that black guy. What he didn't realize is that he still had the keys to the castle, he had the fans on his side. Thompson and McCarthy could only ignore him so much, he was the beloved son of Green Bay and Wisconsin.