PDA

View Full Version : Packers select USC DE/OLB Nick Perry At Pick #28 Round One 2012 Draft

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 12:08 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/149171405.html

Packers select USC DE/OLB Nick Perry

By Tyler Dunne (tdunne@journalsentinel.com) of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: 11:51 p.m

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nick-perry-120436-cp.jpg (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker/by-name?module=HP11_cp#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-round)
Double trouble (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker/by-name?module=HP11_cp#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-round)

"Green Bay -- The Green Bay Packers turned to a familiar place to revive their hurting pass rush --- Southern California. With the 28th overall pick, the Green Bay Packers have taken Nick Perry.

In Perry, the Packers see upside. He was a defensive end in college. And Perry was frank at the NFL scouting combine in saying he'd rather play with his hand in the dirt. But Green Bay sees an athletic, physical freak who will fit in as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

"He's got that kind of juice," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We're looking forward to giving Kevin (Greene) and Dom (Capers) and seeing what we can do. He'll jump in with our guys and compete with our guys and we'll see how he steps up."

Please click on the LINK above for the entire story.

GO Ted Thompson ! GO PACKERS !

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Brian Orakpo: 6030, 263, 4.63 forty, 1.56 ten, 31 reps, 39.5" vert, 130" broad, 4.45 shuttle, 7.25 cone.
Nick Perry: 6026, 271, 4.64 forty, 1.57 ten, 35 reps, 38.5" vert, 124"broad, 4.66 shuttle, 7.25 cone.

A lot of people around here liked Brian Orakpo at #9 in 2009, so they should be ecstatic with Perry at #28. That's not saying that Perry is as good as Orakpo right now, you actually need to teach him the leverage game that Orakpo is good at, but if the Packers are anything it's a good teaching team and I have no doubt that he could master the art.

wist43
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
He didn't look like a very happy camper when he heard that GB had selected him. He wanted to play DE in the NFL, but he really does have greater value as a hybrid.

I was surprised by the pick.

Joemailman
04-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Sounds like 271 was Perry's combine weight, but his playing weight was in the 250's. He probably bulked up for the Combine to show he had the size to play DE while maintaining athleticism. I would expect him to play between 255-260.

Bretsky
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
He didn't look like a very happy camper when he heard that GB had selected him. He wanted to play DE in the NFL, but he really does have greater value as a hybrid.

Perhaps you were surprised because TT didn't take offense ? :)

Regardless we should be at least content. We're on the brink and TT picked somebody would could help this defense

I listed to him speak; I think he is incredibly happy GB picked him. He was disappointed he didn't go earlier but GB was the first team to call him to let him know they may select him

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
God, I miss those posters who used to post useful information from multiple paid sources about our draft picks. This is embarrassing. Reposted JSO articles?

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
I still cqnt believe we didn't go WR...

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2012, 07:34 AM

More money to be made as a defensive end in the NFL, look at the franchise tags for defensive ends versus outside linebackers. I think that is the only reason he wants to play defensive end in the NFL.

Brandon494
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
If I had to choose a current player in the NFL to compare him to it would be Woodley of the Steelers. Remember this guy went up against the top tackle in the draft during every practice at USC and also played against some of the best OTs in college football. With teams having to focus on Clay I could see this guy getting 6-10 sacks his rookie season which is just want we need.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 08:08 AM
What I like…

- Displays the ability to coil up into his stance, keep his base under him, back flat and take a positive first step off the football.

- Eats up grass well initially, getting on top of opposing tackles quickly in the pass game.

- Possesses the first step to threaten the edge and demonstrates some savvy to his game setting up his outside speed rush.

- Extends his long arms well into contact and showcases a little know how of when to work the club/chop in order to keep himself clean on the edge. Can be violent on contact.

- Possesses good length for his size, is a long armed kid who maximizes his length well into contact.

- Showcases some natural power when he's trying to turn the corner through contact. Has a stronger lower half, works hard in pursuit and showcases a good motor fighting his way past tackles.

- Does a nice job working the edge and using his length to wrap on the quarterback when closing in pursuit.

- Showcases some suddenness when trying to change directions and keep himself clean toward the corner.

- Has slightly above-average power on his bull rush, extends his inside arm well into contact, can knock opposing tackles off balance and work his legs hard through contact.

- Exhibits better natural anchor strength vs. the run game than given credit for.

- Keeps his pad level down well off the snap, has an explosive first step and a powerful punch on contact.

- Uses his length well to shed on slide down blocks, finds the football well and has some range when asked to close.

- Was productive as a junior finishing with 9.5 sacks and showing well vs. some of the best offensive tackle prospects in the country.

What I don't like…

- Is a slightly tighter pass rusher who struggles to really drop his pad level around the edge, sink his hips and flatten out under tackles.

- Too often is easily pushed past the pocket and eliminated from the play due to higher pad level.

- Isn't real sudden off his speed rush on any type of change of direction move. There isn't a real quick/sudden element to his game back inside.

- Gets upright through contact, doesn't play as strong as he could because of pad level and makes it tough on himself to disengage once a lineman gets their hands on him.

- His pass rushing arsenal is limited, looks more like a one trick pony who is only real confident working the speed rush. Will sprinkle in the bull or the inside rush at times, but doesn't have a "go to" change up.

- Gets upright vs. the run game when trying to play off blocks. Fails to sit into his base and keep his feet under him, allowing lineman to wash him from the play too easily.

Impression: Exhibits the first step to be a threat off the edge, however struggles to drop his pad level when flattening out. Plus, he doesn't have much of a counter to his game at this point. Nevertheless, has some obvious talent and is a guy you would expect to start as a rush backer in a 34 scheme and be a productive threat off the edge..

3irty1
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Pass rush: Has very good first step quickness and does a nice job in space. Has the footwork, body control and fluidity to quickly change directions. Does a nice job elevating and getting his hands up to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage. Works hard to collapse the pocket with a relentless motor. Brings aggressive playing style on every snap and doesn't quit. Lacks elite size and length -- undersized and can be swallowed by larger blockers. Run defense: Read/reacts quickly with good awareness and recognition skills to chase down the play from different angles. Understands leverage and does a nice job staying balanced, getting lower than blockers and underneath their pads, usually attracting holding penalties. Explosion: A quick, flexible
athlete with sharp burst off the snap. Shows the natural bend and coordination to dip his shoulder and consistently win the edge. Doesn't always time-up his explosion and isn't a sudden pass rusher. Strength: Uses his powerful upper body and hands to force his way into the pocket. Does a nice job swatting blocker's hands/arms with his violent, active hands. Struggles to disengage at the point of attack and will never be the strongest on the field -- functional strength is a question mark. Tackling: Plays smart and disciplined, staying at home and restraining from biting on fakes -- listens and applies coaching. Good hand strength to secure tackles. Lacks ideal arm length, but works hard to wrap and tackle through the ballcarrier. Intangibles: Projects best as a stand up linebacker in a 3-4 scheme at the next level, but doesn't have much experience in this area and there could be a learning curve -- can he play with his hand on the ground at the next level? Lined up in both the two and three-point stance in college. Has good production on his resume, capping off his career with a strong junior season, leading the Pac-12 in sacks. Has questionable instincts when asked to drop in coverage. Appears fatigued late in games and needs to show better conditioning. -- Dane Brugler.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2012, 08:11 AM
This video has me a little worried once they start talking about his 20 yard shuttle. We will see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tbyy8u2gV0

3irty1
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS
Production 2 "2008: Redshirt 2009: (13/1) -- 54-13-9.5. 2010: (12/9) -- 25-7.5-4. 2011: (12/12) -- 24-9-8. Career: (2008-11) -- 6 PBUs, 5 FF, 2 FR. "
Height-Weight-Speed 2 Slightly below average in terms of height and arm length (33). Displays an excellent blend of bulk and top-end speed for position. Hand size is on the smaller side (9 1/2').
Durability 1 "Suffered a high ankle sprain during preseason camp in 2011. However, has not missed playing time throughout his career due to injury. "
Intangibles 2 Entered USC as one of the nations' highly regarded recruits. He is a hard worker who puts in solid effort in the weight room. Respected by coaches and teammates.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
DEFENSIVE END SPECIFIC TRAITS
Pass Rush Skills 2 Displays good but not elite first-step quickness and flashes ability to gain the edge. He has very active and violent hands but can improve with technique in this area. Shows ability to dip inside shoulder when attempting to shave the edge however torso flexibility is just average. Stays low out of stance allowing him to play with good overall leverage. Also shows the quick-twitched explosiveness to dial up an effective speed-to-power bull rush and can get blockers on their heels. Flashes a spin-move but needs to show a wider array of pass rushing moves. Developing an effective inside change-up move would increase his value in this department substantially. Displays an above-average closing burst to get home when able to turn the corner.
Versus the run 2 Possesses very good core strength and is stout at the point of attack. Plays with leverage and flashes an explosive punch to shock and stack blockers. Also shows ability to reset feet and anchor when caught in a phone booth. Flashes quick hands but can improve in this department and doesn't always shed blocks in a timely manner. Lacks an elite anchor against double teams and will turn pads on occasion instead of staying square. Displays above-average lateral quickness and closing burst providing him with a wide range. Can close from the backside and has shown ability to deliver a heavy hit as a tackler.
Versatility 2 Possesses the quickness and pass-rushing capability to line up at RDE in a base 4-3 front but may need to add a few pounds to frame. Also has the athleticism and fluidity in space to transition to an OLB for a base 3-4 defense.
Instincts/Motor 3 "Can be a second late with his diagnosis find the ball at the snap. However, does flash playmaking instincts once able to locate the ball. He is more instinctive as a pass-rusher than as a run defender at this point. Surprisingly shows good awareness for passing lanes when dropping into coverage. Motor is adequate but he can improve effort from a play-to-play basis. In particular can show more hustle when chasing from the backside in the run game. "
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL.

George Cumby
04-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Here's TT:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Thompson-Perry-was-impressive-at-the-Combine/30665ac7-04f6-45c3-88eb-2b0bcd288ed9

When asked about Perry's attitude and transitioning to OLB from DE, TT gets that "cat that ate the canary" smirk and says "He's good to go." We've seen that smirk before (Jordy Nelson) and it bodes well......

3irty1
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
I already made it known how thrilled I'd be with this pick. Perry is the most explosive pass rusher to be selected so far in the draft and has an impressive pac-12 resume. Physically he is nearly exactly what you want at ROLB. Perry made it known that he is more comfortable playing with his hand in the dirt hence bulking way up to play DE. If he does prove to be more effective that way Dom can start using the 3-3 instead of the 2-4 as our default nickel like he did when we were playing Kampman at OLB. The Brian Orakpo comparison is fair for now but I expect Perry to cash in some of that size for more speed and flexibility at his new position. I'm not sure where he'll fit in for the base defense his rookie year but he should be an impact rookie even if all he does is rush the passer in the 2-4/3-3.

Proposed nickname: "The Governor of Defense"

Get it?

PackerPro42
04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm extremely happy with this pick. We picked one of the purest pass rushers in the draft and I believe his transition to olb should be made easier with Greene and Matthews present. Appears to be an immediate upgrade over our other platoon across from Matthews. Perry appears to have an excellent bull rush and his struggle with double teams should be eased with his transition to olb. I think it'd be interesting to use Perry in kind of a Terrel Suggs role; where he primarily plays standing up but is able to put his hand in the dirt on passing downs (if they feel it's necessary). Having the versatility on the edge that Perry gives us will be invaluable. Now its on to the second day where hopefully TT will address the dl and surprise us with a pick on either side of the ball that will be a contributor relatively soon.

Patler
04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Sounds like 271 was Perry's combine weight, but his playing weight was in the 250's. He probably bulked up for the Combine to show he had the size to play DE while maintaining athleticism. I would expect him to play between 255-260.

I read one scouting report that said he was on his way to being 280-285 lbs. It was a weight they thought he could carry comfortably. It will be interesting to see what direction he goes with the Packers, how they will use him.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you 3irty. If you had your own website I would never have to come back here.

wist43
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Perhaps you were surprised because TT didn't take offense ? :)

Regardless we should be at least content. We're on the brink and TT picked somebody would could help this defense

I listed to him speak; I think he is incredibly happy GB picked him. He was disappointed he didn't go earlier but GB was the first team to call him to let him know they may select him

Yes, I was surprised he went defense; but more than that, it looks like a desperation move. TT very much chasing a need?? The Apocolypse will be upon us soon!

I guess I would rather have seen TT trade down and take an offensive player... I have faith in their ability to evaluate offensive players - I'm always skeptical of anything they do on defense - and then to chase a position?? That is very, very un-TT like.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, I was surprised he went defense; but more than that, it looks like a desperation move. TT very much chasing a need?? The Apocolypse will be upon us soon!

I guess I would rather have seen TT trade down and take an offensive player... I have faith in their ability to evaluate offensive players - I'm always skeptical of anything they do on defense - and then to chase a position?? That is very, very un-TT like.

I see your pessimism is fully recovered. Welcome back!

3irty1
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Are you trying to spin this as a reach? It wasn't.

Brandon494
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM

I can't tell if your being serious or not. Perry was not only filled a need but was one of the best players left.

Patler
04-27-2012, 09:42 AM
This should make Wist happy:

AFC scout: "He's the kid from Ohio State (Vernon Gholston). Buyer beware there. He's a good athlete that, let's just say, is a little soft."

Rick Reiprish, New Orleans: "I think he's a 4-3 guy. That suits him better."

NFC scout: "Workout guy who doesn't play good."

MadScientist
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Proposed nickname: "The Governor of Defense"

Get it?
That nickname would only fit if his Wonderlic had been lower than Claiborne's. I'm good with the pick as long as he doesn't earn the nickname Katie.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Certainly desperation, there probably wasn't a single mock draft that had Perry going in the first round. The kid didn't play against good competition, had no results on the field and didn't measure out well at the combine. There's simply no way he was a first round talent. Desperation move 110%. ;)

Seriously though, I'm luke-warm on this pick.

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
God, I miss those posters who used to post useful information from multiple paid sources about our draft picks. This is embarrassing. Reposted JSO articles?

So get in here and demonstrate exactly how to post a thread. I certainly need your expertise. Don't just sit back at your keyboard and 'bitch...bitch...BITCH'.

Try to be 'a productive...positive member of Packerrats'. Maybe that's a novel idea for you to chew on but you can get there if you 'just try'.

You have a brilliant mind skinbasket but you too often waste it in a rotten attitude. You waste it posting material that isn't of the value that we deserve from you man. We need more 'good' from you Skin.

By the way that thread post just didn't come off of JSO. I didn't go to JSO and streal it as I'm not a paying customer there or havn't used their offer of a time limited 'Free membership'. I used other mens to find that story and as you once posted just didn't post 'the LINK'. I made the thread opening look at least attractive mister.

That thread opening actually comes 'from two NFL media sources' and I hoped the photo would help us celebrate this solid pick at #28 by Ted Thompson. Our team's GM got us a good one here.

Shin you've never won me with your attitude. I'm pulling for you to give us what we deserve from you.

I'm NOT trying to screw with you Skin.That's never any fun going there with me. YOU of all posters here know that's 'the TRUTH'.

Set em down 'line em up'. It's NOT that man. It's about making Packerrats GREAT.

GO Ted Thompson. Go PACKERS !!

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
You have a brialliant mind skinbasket ...............

I think that's a compliment. But I can't be certain.

wist43
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Are you trying to spin this as a reach? It wasn't.

No, I haven't studied the draft enough... and Perry was one of those guys I didn't look at much b/c he seemed pretty adamant about wanting to play DE; out of which he could only play that in a 4-3.

I thought he was less athletic than Upshaw, but Upshaw has warts too... not saying I wanted Upshaw there either. If they were more complete, "can't miss" prospects they would have gone much higher. So? cross our fingers and hope he fills that pass rushing roll of the edge.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2012, 10:09 AM
No, I haven't studied the draft enough... and Perry was one of those guys I didn't look at much b/c he seemed pretty adamant about wanting to play DE; out of which he could only play that in a 4-3.

I thought he was less athletic than Upshaw, but Upshaw has warts too... not saying I wanted Upshaw there either. If they were more complete, "can't miss" prospects they would have gone much higher. So? cross our fingers and hope he fills that pass rushing roll of the edge.

Perry looks more athletic than Upshaw on tape, and the combine more than verified that. Perry wanting to play 4-3 DE doesn't appear to be much of a problem.

If they were more complete, they'd go much higher? Convenient. You could have said that about any guy we drafted.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM

You're welcome:

#2 DE. NICK PERRY | USC 6-23/4|271 lbs|4JR Detroit, MI (King HS) 4/12/1990 (age 22) #8

A two-year starter, Nicholas “Nick” Perry was highly recruited out of HS, choosing USC over Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Miami (FL). After redshirting in 2008, he was used as a back-up DE in 2009 as a RS freshman (13 gp/1 st), finishing with 24 tkls, 9.0 tfl and a team-best 8.0 sacks, earning Freshman All-American honors. Perry became the full-time starter at DE in 2010 as a sophomore (12 gp/9 st), recording 25 tkls, 7.5 tfl, 4.0 sacks, 3 pbu, 2 FF and 1 FR. He returned as a starter in 2011 as a junior and has his best season (12 gp/12 st), finishing with 54 tkls, 3 pbu, 3 FF and a team-best 13.0 tfl and conference-best 9.5 sacks, earning First Team All-Pac 12 honors. Perry decided to forego his final season of eligibility and declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Perry is a quick, flexible athlete with sharp burst off the snap – shows the natural bend and coordination to dip his shoulder and consistently win the edge. He has very good first step quickness and does a nice job in space – has the footwork, body control and fluidity to quickly change directions. Perry uses his powerful upper body and hands to force his way into the pocket – nice job swatting blocker’s hands/arms with his violent, active hands. He read/reacts quickly with good awareness and recognition skills to chase down the play from different angles. Perry plays smart and disciplined, staying at home and restraining from biting on fakes – listens and applies coaching. He understands leverage and does a nice job staying balanced, getting lower than blockers and underneath their pads, usually attracting holding penalties. Perry does a nice job elevating and getting his hands up to knock down passes at the LOS. He works hard to collapse the pocket with a relentless motor – brings aggressive playing style on every snap and doesn’t quit. Perry rushed mostly with his hand on the ground in college, but lined up in both two and three point stance. He has good production on his résumé, capping off his career with a strong junior season, leading Pac-12 in sacks.

WEAKNESSES: Perry lacks elite size and length – undersized and can be swallowed by larger blockers. He struggles to disengage at the POA and will never be the strongest on the field – functional strength is a question mark. Perry doesn’t always explode off the snap and isn’t a sudden pass rusher. He has questionable instincts when asked to drop in coverage. Perry appears fatigued late in games and needs to show better conditioning. He projects best as a stand up OLB in a 34 scheme at the next level, but doesn’t have much experience in this area and there could be a learning curve – can he play at DE in a four-man front?

OVERALL: Perry is an extremely active edge rusher who uses his disruptive quickness and violent hand use to get to the QB in a variety of ways – fluid and smooth athlete with good body control and flexibility. He doesn’t have elite measureables with average length and he isn’t a sudden player despite his first step quickness off the snap. Perry is a hybrid pass rusher with the versatility to play with his hand on the ground or standing up in space, showing the footwork and fluid range of motion to hold his own in space. He plays fast and hard, but his lack of ideal size and length are a cause for concern – a “safe” top-25 selection.

PROJECTION: 1st-2nd Round COMPARISON: Brian Orakpo WORKOUT RESULTS: 4.58 40-YD DASH // 35 REPS // 38.5” V // 10’4” BJ // 7.25 3C // 4.66 SS

Before Mad comes after me, this is from a printed source, not a website.

Old School
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Not being a football expert, I have the luxery of anticipating good things from Perry who TT felt comfortable sitting at 28 and taking. I'm not so sure the GM's who were running around with their hair on fire making trades are any smarter than TT. I'll watch with interest where we go in the remaining rounds.

I also have a life away from football, so I'm looking forward to rooting for the Pack to play winning football without losing any sleep.

Packers4Glory
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't care who they picked at OLB, they will be better than the garbage we tossed on the field last yr opposite Clay.

Cheesehead Craig
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I also have a life away from football, so I'm looking forward to rooting for the Pack to play winning football without losing any sleep.

Pfffft... Freak. ;)

Bossman641
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Watching Perry's highlight tape I was surprised. Given his bench numbers, I was expecting to see him utilize the bull rush quite a bit and see a Woodley-type player. Instead, I saw him trying to get to the edge. I'm not a scout (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night), I'm just hoping Perry is reckless and physical enough to set the edge and push the pocket.

In TT I trust.

wist43
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I can't tell if your being serious or not. Perry was not only filled a need but was one of the best players left.

Well, take heart Brandon - I can't tell if I'm being serious or not either... jacked up on some serious painkillers. Feelin a bit like Jeffrey Lebowski actually... probably need to drop in on my condition, to see what my condition is in :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2ET5K6zY0&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL864B92ECF4B8C2B7

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
http://nolefan.org/football/reynolds_jamal2.jpg

STRENGTHS: Perry is a quick, flexible athlete with sharp burst off the snap

I was just feeling evil.

wist43
04-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Perry looks more athletic than Upshaw on tape, and the combine more than verified that. Perry wanting to play 4-3 DE doesn't appear to be much of a problem.

If they were more complete, they'd go much higher? Convenient. You could have said that about any guy we drafted.

I don't see that at all... I thought Upshaw was much more athletic. Problem with Upshaw is lack of height, short arms, and small hands.

I'm not gonna go all-in on knocking Perry, I just see some reasons to be cautious. He really is not a physical guy, he looks like a "run around" guy; I don't like how he redirects; and I'm not sold on him space.

As Capers said though, "... we'll find a way use him". So as long as they "coach him up"; and make an effort to scheme to his strengths, I can certainly see this pick working out.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't see that at all... I thought Upshaw was much more athletic. Problem with Upshaw is lack of height, short arms, and small hands

Upshaw is actually a very marginal athlete. Of the OLB candidates who went in the first (Ingram, McClellin, Mercilus, Perry) Upshaw is easily the worst athlete. He's just a very good football player with excellent instincts. The question about Upshaw is whether his instincts and football acumen can get him around blocks.

There's also some big time character reds on Upshaw and TT pretty much always spends first round picks on high character guys. (c.f. http://twitter.com/RobRang/status/195899576614535168 )

I'm not gonna go all-in on knocking Perry, I just see some reasons to be cautious. He really is not a physical guy, he looks like a "run around" guy; I don't like how he redirects; and I'm not sold on him space.

As Capers said though, "... we'll find a way use him". So as long as they "coach him up"; and make an effort to scheme to his strengths, I can certainly see this pick working out.

Immediately Perry probably comes off the bench in passing situations and gets told to get after the QB, like Aldon Smith in SF last year. Long term, he projects to OLB as the #1 pass rushing option (the guy who rushes the most) because he's much better in that role than in the #2 role. That means Matthews is going to rush less, but we honestly rush two OLBs pretty much every time we play nickel anyway (which is a lot.) Plus, dropping Matthews more gives the answer to "who's going to run with TEs."

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Immediately Perry probably comes off the bench in passing situations and gets told to get after the QB, like Aldon Smith in SF last year. Long term, he projects to OLB as the #1 pass rushing option (the guy who rushes the most) because he's much better in that role than in the #2 role. That means Matthews is going to rush less, but we honestly rush two OLBs pretty much every time we play nickel anyway (which is a lot.) Plus, dropping Matthews more gives the answer to "who's going to run with TEs."

Good analysis. Last year when Matthews shut down Pettigrew you kind of had the sense that the Packers needed that complimentary guy because you could see the coverage skill of Matthews, knew that was a huge strength, and also knew that when he rushed the passer he was routinely double-teamed and sometimes triple-teamed. It begged the question: is it easier to get a good cover guy or a good pass rush guy to stand up on the other side? Perry is the Packer's answer to that question.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I was just feeling evil.

I hate you.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Good analysis. Last year when Matthews shut down Pettigrew you kind of had the sense that the Packers needed that complimentary guy because you could see the coverage skill of Matthews, knew that was a huge strength, and also knew that when he rushed the passer he was routinely double-teamed and sometimes triple-teamed. It begged the question: is it easier to get a good cover guy or a good pass rush guy to stand up on the other side? Perry is the Packer's answer to that question.

Matthews is a rare 4-position linebacker in this defense. He literally makes any other OLB option work if the other guy is actually a competent football player. That being said, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Packers run some sets with Matthews, Perry, and Brad Jones on the field. That gives you 2 LBs who excel in coverage, and 2 LBs who can get after the passer.

ND72
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I have liked Perry for a long time, just wavered when I started seeing McClellin on tape. Perry is crazy athletic. I think he starts day 1 and never looks back. Many people said they didn't think Matthews would transition well to pass coverage, but he's become pretty good I think in his zones. I also love this...for WEEKS, many scouts and experts said Perry was a perfect fit for a 3-4 OLB, especially Green Bay. Now this morning, oh he should have gone to a 4-3 team and been a DE.

Perry's gonna be a good one, I really think we drafted a solid player and person.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Perry has as much upside as anyone in this draft and fits very much in with Ted's style of drafting defense.

On the defensive side of the ball Ted is secretly pretty much the same as Al Davis. Since Ted came to town we have been drafting elite athletes to sprinkle all over our defense. Ted is fine with taking a raw talent with top measurables and throwing them into the fire. This was the case with Collins, Shields, Matthews, and Raji. I won't count Hawk or Burnett because they were relatively pro-ready. Perry is going to fit into that category of a player we are willing to take some lumps with while he figures out the little things.

My issue with Perry is that he put up 35 reps on the bench press. Watching him play you'd never have thought he could do that. You'd think he would be a guy who could not just go around you but also set you up with leverage which is not something he really ever does. From day 1 that speed rush is going to do well for us but he needs to round out the rest of his game if he's going to be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL. Having Greene and Clay around should certainly help. I'm very excited for Perry's future with us. Tons of untapped potential.

Smidgeon
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
My issue with Perry is that he put up 35 reps on the bench press. Watching him play you'd never have thought he could do that. You'd think he would be a guy who could not just go around you but also set you up with leverage which is not something he really ever does. From day 1 that speed rush is going to do well for us but he needs to round out the rest of his game if he's going to be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL. Having Greene and Clay around should certainly help. I'm very excited for Perry's future with us. Tons of untapped potential.

To your point, if going around a guy while rushing was effective, maybe he just never felt the need to build an effective counter-move. He will have to in the pros. It's why productive NFL players are better than they were in college: they continue to grow and develop their craft.

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Yup. TT went with less issues in Perry over Upshaw.

Yes. TT went with less ?'s in Perry over Upshaw. I felt his choice might be S Harrison Smith (but was he a perfect fit for us?) that Minny absolutely stole with IMO the smartest manouevering in this draft. The Vikings are looking sweet in this off season and should be well on their way to getting it going again.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
This guy pegged this pick also. He also was spot on about the trading up market.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Is-this-draft-a-buyers-market/19a425d8-b874-48da-9471-3a5009ac3595

SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline says the Packers appear to be well-positioned in the first round of this year’s draft.

In what is being termed by many draftniks as a weak draft, Pauline believes the place to be is “the back half of the first round; 7-16 is a kind of no man’s land. The guys you’re going to take there are more late first-round picks than mid first-round picks,” he said.

The Packers own the 28th overall selection, and the beauty of this draft for General Manager Ted Thompson would seem to be the 12 picks he holds and the desire of a lot of teams to trade back to where he is.

“It’s a buyer’s market for trading up,” Pauline said. “The supply of teams wanting to come down is greater than teams wanting to come up.”

This year’s draft class is loaded with pass rushers, the majority of which would seem to fit as outside linebackers in a 3-4 defense, which the Packers employ. The Packers traded up to select Clay Matthews in 2009, and Matthews immediately became one of the league’s star pass rushers; he instantly changed the face of the Packers defense.

“Where they’re picking, if he’s there, I would say Nick Perry (pictured). He’s probably the purest of the pass rushers. If he’s there, that’s a good pick for them. He might not be there. Then, do you think Whitney Mercilus can play 3-4 outside linebacker? I think yes, but there’s a lot of debate about that,” Pauline said.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
So get in here and demonstrate exactly how to post a thread. I certainly need your expertise. Don't just sit back at your keyboard and 'bitch...bitch...BITCH'.

Try to be 'a productive...positive member of Packerrats'. Maybe that's a novel idea for you to chew on but you can get there if you 'just try'.

You have a brilliant mind skinbasket but you too often waste it in a rotten attitude. You waste it posting material that isn't of the value that we deserve from you man. We need more 'good' from you Skin....

Shin you've never won me with your attitude. I'm pulling for you to give us what we deserve from you.

I'm NOT trying to screw with you Skin.That's never any fun going there with me. YOU of all posters here know that's 'the TRUTH'.

Set em down 'line em up'. It's NOT that man. It's about making Packerrats GREAT.

GO Ted Thompson. Go PACKERS !!

You're so gay.

Also, years ago, I made packerrats great. People like you ruined it. So spare me the lecture. And the JSO articles.

GO PACKERS!

Fritz
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm a bit jumbled about all that I've read, but I do recall reading - regarding Perry's statement that he wanted to play in a 4-3, and his general attitude - that several scouts noted his "attitude" as a positive thing. He may be one of those "tell it like it is" guys, and the general feeling I got was that the Pack kinda liked what they saw as a slightly edgy guy. He seems very well spoken, based on what I've read, but it also appears he's kinda got a mean streak.

We haven't had that since Wayne Simmons, so I'm glad for it.

I wonder if they'll play him on the right or the left? Would it be better, since he's so big, to match him up on the strong side? Then Clay can rush? Or let Perry rush from the wea side and let Clay cover tight ends more?

hell, I don't know. Just wondering. But I'm good with this pick.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
You're so gay.

Also, years ago, I made packerrats great. People like you ruined it. So spare me the lecture. And the JSO articles.

GO PACKERS!

I made Packerrats great. You are a side kick, know your place.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Patler had one scout quote earlier from this JSO article (sorry Skin). http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-scouts-say-fc564a7-149181165.html

If you wish to develop a case for why he won't work out, about 1/3 of the scouts there will help. Calling a LB Gholston is almost as bad as Harlan posting Reynolds.

He is a back end of the first round pick and he clearly has some work to do (not good when a pad level problem comes to M3). But he has enough production and starts at a good program to project well. Gholston's entire case was one game his last year in college. It was also 20 picks later.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you 3irty. If you had your own website I would never have to come back here.

I'm sorry for inferring that if there was a better source of football information that I would go there. Apparently that's against the rules as well as I have again been threatened with banning. I can't find it in the rules, but I guess it's there, since if I keep doing it, I'll get banned. Whatever it is I'm doing.

Other than threads or posts revealing private and/or personal information about others members, PackerRats.com does not censor any threads or posts...PackerRats.com values the individuality of all its members and encourages them to talk about anything they wish.

GO PACKERS!

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry for inferring that if there was a better source of football information that I would go there. Apparently that's against the rules as well as I have again been threatened with banning. I can't find it in the rules, but I guess it's there, since if I keep doing it, I'll get banned. Whatever it is I'm doing.

GO PACKERS!

Skinbasket your NOT going to get banned. We need the best you can be man. It's still in you and being intimidated by falsehoods won't help you get there.

Good Luck with that. (-:

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
You're so gay.

GO PACKERS!

I IGNORE BS. That's my new policy.

Your important to me.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Patler had one scout quote earlier from this JSO article (sorry Skin).

Oh, I don't mind the JSo article. It's just that it's easily available and I remember when we would have a dozen far flung assessments of each player posted within seconds of each pick. It was uncanny really, and why I would come here for the draft.

I feel kind of sorry for Perry. No matter how you feel about his measurables and college career, he's probably got just as much pressure to step in and upgrade a position as a top 5 pick.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Skinbasket your NOT going to get banned.
[/B]

Unfortunately, wooduck27 does NOT make those decisions.

Your important to me.

Coming from you, that might be the sweetest thing anyone here has ever said to me. I mean that.

SkinBasket
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I made Packerrats great. You are a side kick, know your place.

You joined the enemy. Now we are nemisises. But I'm still going to sleep on your couch.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I IGNORE BS. That's my new policy.

Your important to me.

You're calmer today Woody.

Thank you.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
You joined the enemy. Now we are nemisises. But I'm still going to sleep on your couch.

IMO, you should have gone with nemesi. It rolls of the tongue better than nemisises.

Fritz
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Patler had one scout quote earlier from this JSO article (sorry Skin). http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/what-scouts-say-fc564a7-149181165.html

If you wish to develop a case for why he won't work out, about 1/3 of the scouts there will help. Calling a LB Gholston is almost as bad as Harlan posting Reynolds.

He is a back end of the first round pick and he clearly has some work to do (not good when a pad level problem comes to M3). But he has enough production and starts at a good program to project well. Gholston's entire case was one game his last year in college. It was also 20 picks later.

The thread on Ted's tendencies fits well here. Perry is from a big-time conference and so has played against good caliber competition. He's got some measureables and some production, too. He's not without limitations, but some of those limitations can be overcome (pad level, if a Packer coach really can get that down).

Given what was available, and given Ted's quote that everyone in the room was on board, and given some of the goofy-ass stuff other people did, and given that at least TT didn't draft a wide receiver or running back or tight end or offensive lineman, I'm good with it.

Cheesehead Craig
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
The thread on Ted's tendencies fits well here. Perry is from a big-time conference and so has played against good caliber competition. He's got some measureables and some production, too. He's not without limitations, but some of those limitations can be overcome (pad level, if a Packer coach really can get that down).

Given what was available, and given Ted's quote that everyone in the room was on board, and given some of the goofy-ass stuff other people did, and given that at least TT didn't draft a wide receiver or running back or tight end or offensive lineman, I'm good with it.

Nice post and way to tie things together. I like PB's comment earlier somewhere that it's anti-climatic when Ted makes a solid pick. Agree with that sentiment and your post in full. And thus you are repped.

Upnorth
04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Perry has as much upside as anyone in this draft and fits very much in with Ted's style of drafting defense.

On the defensive side of the ball Ted is secretly pretty much the same as Al Davis. Since Ted came to town we have been drafting elite athletes to sprinkle all over our defense. Ted is fine with taking a raw talent with top measurables and throwing them into the fire. This was the case with Collins, Shields, Matthews, and Raji. I won't count Hawk or Burnett because they were relatively pro-ready. Perry is going to fit into that category of a player we are willing to take some lumps with while he figures out the little things.

When I first read this post I but down my blackberry and thought about it for awhile. Your analysis of TT as the defensive version of Al Davis is quite accurate, lots of raw athleticism as displayed by his baseline for drafting lbs and the three cone drill for example. This was some of the best analysis of TT's style I have read, and really explains the Justin Harrell risk. Well done well done!

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
When I first read this post I but down my blackberry and thought about it for awhile. Your analysis of TT as the defensive version of Al Davis is quite accurate, lots of raw athleticism as displayed by his baseline for drafting lbs and the three cone drill for example. This was some of the best analysis of TT's style I have read, and really explains the Justin Harrell risk. Well done well done!

Ted is actually in the Al Davis GMing tree already. Ron Wolf learned the personnel game from Davis, and TT learned the personnel game from Ron Wolf.

It's sort of a modified Davis approach, since TT's formula is basically "HWS+high character/leadership and throw out guys without actual football ability (for the most part, we all remember Mike Hawkins and Aaron Rouse.)"

It's not just on defense either. Ted drafts people who are unusually athletic at every position. He does not draft people who are short, slow, or small at any position.

Before anybody thinks this is a knock on or weakness of TT, you have to keep in mind that before he got old and crazy and stopped scouting well, Al Davis was quite probably the greatest GM going.

Bossman641
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Ted is actually in the Al Davis GMing tree already. Ron Wolf learned the personnel game from Davis, and TT learned the personnel game from Ron Wolf.

It's sort of a modified Davis approach, since TT's formula is basically "HWS+high character/leadership and throw out guys without actual football ability (for the most part, we all remember Mike Hawkins and Aaron Rouse.)"

It's not just on defense either. Ted drafts people who are unusually athletic at every position. He does not draft people who are short, slow, or small at any position.

Before anybody thinks this is a knock on or weakness of TT, you have to keep in mind that before he got old and crazy and stopped scouting well, Al Davis was quite probably the greatest GM going.

Does this mean TT will still be the acting GM years after he has passed away?

http://tv.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/files/2011/01/zombieal.jpg

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Does this mean TT will still be the acting GM years after he has passed away?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2i6rtCYMKQM/TTeb3yHTz2I/AAAAAAAAABM/SDoCwKSzhMU/s320/davis-zombie

I think he wants to retire before he achieves lichdom.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
You're welcome:

Before Mad comes after me, this is from a printed source, not a website.

He won't come after you unless you left your bike unlocked, or something.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM

I think he'd be pretty unhappy if I stole his burrito too.

Who wouldn't be though? Burritos are awesome

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM

It is the "or something" that really worries me.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM
It is the "or something" that really worries me.

Why?

Is your grill is not securely attached to your patio?

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Kalil was on KFAN today and was raving about Nick Perry's skills and athletesism.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Kalil was on KFAN today and was raving about Nick Perry's skills and athletesism.

Hopefully he'll be a lot less enthusiastic on December 3rd.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Ted definitely puts a premium on defensive athleticism which makes a lot of sense. By the nature of offense, being a great athlete isn't nearly as important. The defense doesn't know what's coming, offensive players that can execute can still be successful as all they have to do is impose their will on a defense. Finley isn't much of an athlete, but he runs good routes, explodes out of his cuts, knows how to set a cover-man up to create separation. That's all it takes to get open and gain yards. In general the defensive side of the ball is faster and stronger in the NFL, look at players that are similarly sized on the Packers.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Why?

Is your grill is not securely attached to your patio?

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. How many other things did I forget to check this morning.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Ted definitely puts a premium on defensive athleticism which makes a lot of sense. By the nature of offense, being a great athlete isn't nearly as important. The defense doesn't know what's coming, offensive players that can execute can still be successful as all they have to do is impose their will on a defense. Finley isn't much of an athlete, but he runs good routes, explodes out of his cuts, knows how to set a cover-man up to create separation. That's all it takes to get open and gain yards. In general the defensive side of the ball is faster and stronger in the NFL, look at players that are similarly sized on the Packers.

I have to disagree with half of your point. I think it is important that offensive players are good athletes, very important in fact (Finley is a good athlete IMO). My theory is that offensive players generally require a much higher level of learned skills to be good. The type of thing you can't learn overnight.

For example, if a WR can't catch the ball nobody cares how fast they are and if they can't catch the ball by the time they are done with college, chances are slim they will ever by any good at it. On the other hand, defensive players need to have good fundamentals, but not necessarily the same level of fine/learned skills as an offensive player. That would make on-the-field production less important for defensive players.

I just made that up, but it sounded good to me.

MadtownPacker
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. How many other things did I forget to check this morning.Did you put the steering wheel club on the Lexus?

Guiness
04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
What did everyone make of Perry's telephone interview at the press conference last night?

He mentioned a desire to play DE, I think he said he gained 10lbs to do so. Is there a transcript of that interview anywhere?

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
What did everyone make of Perry's telephone interview at the press conference last night?

He mentioned a desire to play DE, I think he said he gained 10lbs to do so. Is there a transcript of that interview anywhere?

30 more pounds and he can play DE for the Packers.

I can't believe the Packers didn't work-out this issue with him before using a 1st round pick. I guess he is fine with play OLB, but we'll see.

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 06:55 PM
30 more pounds and he can play DE for the Packers.

I can't believe the Packers didn't work-out this issue with him before using a 1st round pick. I guess he is fine with play OLB, but we'll see.

It might indicate that TT's guy was gone !