PDA

View Full Version : NOW, the draft gets interesting!

Patler
04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
1st round is done, and the big names are taken.
Now is when the Packer draft gets interesting, 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds.

"Nick who?"

"A WR from Western Michigan? REALLY? In the 2nd round?"

"A guard who was the gunner on the punt team? Future all-pro for sure!"

"Jordy Nelson? Is TT crazy? A WR when we have Jennings, Driver and Jones? And taking Nelson to boot, when better receivers are available?"

"WOW! BRIAN BROHM! TT is a genius! Thank god they won't have to rely on Rodgers! This guy is a REAL quarterback!"

"Another WR? Doesn't TT know its not mandatory to draft a WR in the 2nd round? Well, at least Cobb might be able to return kicks and punts!"

I always enjoy the rest of the draft even more than the first round. Guys with interesting backgrounds, compelling life stories, unique athletic talents. Guys we've never heard of. Often some with no scouting reports available to us. It's fun trying to figure out what TT saw in them, and predict how they might fit in. Did he really get a 1st/2nd round talent in the 4th, 5th or 6th round?

Friday and Saturday will be the best!

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I starting to get sick of the talking heads earlier than usual this year.

Patler
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't listen to or watch a single second of the draft on TV. Too boring. I did other things and checked the internet now and then for the updated draft board, but that was it.

KYPack
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Yeah, the "Mel Kiper effect" is WAAAAY too much.

I alternated btw the Daily racing Form" (I'm going to Keened today) and the Net and NFLN. Mike Myock is kind of the new Kiper and he's getting fucking annoying.

PR is the best for the draft. all the comments from the boys and girls and PB was doing some kind of time travel deal to predict the picks.

If Konz slides, do we take him?

You'd think S, but the pickings seem slim at that spot.

Patler
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
If Konz slides, do we take him?

Or should they trade up to get him?

Spaulding
04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Doubt any of these will be left by the time the Pack picks at#59 but if any fall to us or if the Pack trades up I wouldn't mind seeing any of the following (in order listed):

Jenkins (character risk but if they are debating moving Woodson to S this would seal the deal)
Still (questionable motor but I'm sure Trgovac could get it going and we need a 5 technique which he could do)
Konz (solid and a future replacement for Saturday)
Worthy (I'm not a fan given his inability to control his emotions but maybe he matures to be a solid DL)
Reyes (don't know much about him given I don't watch Big East football but the pundits are high on him and he fills a need)

KYPack
04-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Or should they trade up to get him?

If he slides the 28 spots, they'd damned near have to grab him. That would be the best young OLine in the league if you could get that kid.

No trade up, tho

Unless TT has a "Secret Safety" from nowhere tech none of us know about.

Sparkey
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Would it be crazy to think Ted trades up to early in round 2 and takes Upshaw ?

Play Upshaw at RE and Perry at ROLB. Imagine the stunts, zones and fires Capers could run off those guys. Occasionally line up Perry as DE and Upshaw os ROLB ? Since Capers defenses are designed to be unpredictable, I think it would be crazy effective. Add in Raji at LE and Matthews at LOLB. Wow, just Wow is my opinion. Pickett holds down the middle for one more year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
What if TT shocks everyone and trades up for Upshaw? They let Perry keep his hand hand on the ground and add some more weight? More pass rushers please!

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Would it be crazy to think Ted trades up to early in round 2 and takes Upshaw ?

Play Upshaw at RE and Perry at ROLB. Imagine the stunts, zones and fires Capers could run off those guys. Occasionally line up Perry as DE and Upshaw os ROLB ? Since Capers defenses are designed to be unpredictable, I think it would be crazy effective. Add in Raji at LE and Matthews at LOLB. Wow, just Wow is my opinion. Pickett holds down the middle for one more year.

You beat me to it lol

Sparkey
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Jinx!

Brandon494
04-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Perry is not is 3-4 DE, not going to happen.

ND72
04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Upshaw is smaller than Perry, and Perry isn't a 3-4 DE. Perry is out guy at OLB.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Perry is not is 3-4 DE, not going to happen.

This is true; however, for the sake of argument - if there is one thing Capers is good at it is coming up with innovative ways to get his best talent on the field. Traditional formations and responsibilities often go out the window so he can make the best use of what he has.

Still, why trade up when it forces you to play a guy you just drafted out of position in your system ?

Ballboy
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I would like the Packers to move up if after a few picks have passed and Jenkins is still on the board. We need another DB even if we dont move Woodson to S. This guy can play, and its amazing what being part of a winning organization can do. With the likes of Woodson, Driver and Rodgers keeping tabs on him he maybe able to keep himself out of trouble.

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
We just need to run the new 2-5 defense :)

Fritz
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I would like the Packers to move up if after a few picks have passed and Jenkins is still on the board. We need another DB even if we dont move Woodson to S. This guy can play, and its amazing what being part of a winning organization can do. With the likes of Woodson, Driver and Rodgers keeping tabs on him he maybe able to keep himself out of trouble.

I don't think there are enough young single ladies in Green Bay to keep Janoris Jenkins's unprotected weiner happy. I wouldn't draft him; we'd be endangering the sheep population in the out counties.

I'd like to see them draft a defensive end - but is there one worthy of drafting in the second round? Hell, I don't know.

I'm relieved that TT did not draft a left tackle or a running back or a wide receiver or a 28 year old quarterback with that pick. Whew.

Upnorth
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Could Upshaw be a 3-4 DE? He seems small, but has big potential. Only thing is is he worth what we would have to give up to move that much?

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I didn't listen to or watch a single second of the draft on TV. Too boring. I did other things and checked the internet now and then for the updated draft board, but that was it.

One if not the most exciting first rounds ever. Fastest in history at 3:28. Loads of trade action. I'm glad that TT held fast to #28 and got a gem.

IMO Minny stole the day ! That organization pulled Cleveland fr. #4 to #3 for a RB they were gong to get anyway (Trent Richardson and maybe another impact RB like Adrian Peterson) and Minny gets 'their LT' Matt Kalil, and three more picks to boot...Holy Cow !

Browns GM mike Holmgren ! I'm gussing he thought that he had too many draft picks to handle all the new blood.His move made ZERO sense to me Patler; but ....... if anyone understands his move..... you might.

What was Mike Holmgren thinking?

Fritz
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Mike Holmgren was gazing at his intestines from the inside when he made that move.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't get your hopes up for Jenkins, really short for a TT corner. He'll be higher on someone else's draft board.

Also, wouldn't expect a trade up into the tippy-top of the first. Striking distance for a trade up is probably about pick #20.

My dream picks for the day are Reyes and Markelle Martin. It could happen.

My realistic picks for the day are Derek Wolfe and Bernard Pierce.