PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy

PackerPro42
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Via the mothership... McCoy is on the trading block after the browns selected Brandon Weeden late in the first round. Is McCoy worth looking at as a backup QB? Obviously the price would have to be right, but as of now he'd be a nice upgrade over Harrell.

Willard
04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow. Brandon Weeden is 2 months older than Aaron Rodgers. I guess the Browns have determined that they don't have time to groom him. Throw him in there. Good luck with that Cleveland.

KYPack
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Plus they bullshitted McCoy and told him they wouldn't draft a QB #1 this year, then did it.

Holmy was a goof as a GM in Seattle, he ain't much better as Pres in Cleveburg.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Plus they bullshitted McCoy and told him they wouldn't draft a QB #1 this year, then did it.

Holmy was a goof as a GM in Seattle, he ain't much better as Pres in Cleveburg.

KY, that's just-for-the-press crap. McCoy knew they were looking for a QB. They wanted RGIII, but didn't want to give up all the picks to make it happen. McCoy doesn't have starting chops, and he knows it.

Upnorth
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
KY, that's just-for-the-press crap. McCoy knew they were looking for a QB. They wanted RGIII, but didn't want to give up all the picks to make it happen. McCoy doesn't have starting chops, and he knows it.

I don't think I would give up on McCoy this quickly, get him a decent WR corp and see what he might do.

Brandon494
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
No thanks, Id rather get Russell Wilson :)

Willard
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Colin Cowherd just said the Pack is negotiating with the Browns for McCoy. I heard it on the radio so it must be true.

Brandon494
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Colin Cowherd just said the Pack is negotiating with the Browns for McCoy. I heard it on the radio so it must be true.

Yea I heard that too, hopefully it's only for a 6th rounder.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm one of the few people here in Cleveland who likes McCoy. I don't like him as a starter, but the guy had crapola at the skill positions during his time in Cleveland. He's 6'2" put he plays small. He does have some game to him - he knows how to compete and is mentally tough. He can't make all the throws, but is reasonably accurate when guys are actually open. He definitely compares well to Flynn. He's a career backup, who should be adequate in spot duty or even a 2-3 game stretch with the O talent GB has. I'd hate to see the Packers use anything more than a 6th round pick getting him though.

Brandon, I don't see Wilson making it to GB's round 4 picks, but if he does, they should get him.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Yea I heard that too, hopefully it's only for a 6th rounder.

Ha! We're on the same page!

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Ha! We're on the same page!

Well if anyone should be, it's Gary Spivey.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Well if anyone should be, it's Gary Spivey.

I knew you were going to post that

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I knew you were going to post that

And just how much will that pearl cost me, Gary?

Ballboy
04-27-2012, 10:49 AM
This would really help the Packers, getting a backup that has played. He may not be the best QB in the NFL, but at least he has played and done some nice things. Working for the Pack in backup and mopup roles would do good. This would also possibly free up those 3rd-5th round picks to go after players they may help right away instead of spending those on a QB to bring up.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
He's bound to have more value somewhere where he would compete for a starting spot. I doubt the Packers would be willing to give up as much as a team that did not have a clear #1.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
This would really help the Packers, getting a backup that has played. He may not be the best QB in the NFL, but at least he has played and done some nice things. Working for the Pack in backup and mopup roles would do good. This would also possibly free up those 3rd-5th round picks to go after players they may help right away instead of spending those on a QB to bring up.

If the have to give up a 3rd round pick to get him, do they really gain much?

Ballboy
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

I was going on the assumption of the 6th or 7th round pick for McCoy.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
He's bound to have more value somewhere where he would compete for a starting spot. I doubt the Packers would be willing to give up as much as a team that did not have a clear #1.

but you have to ask yourself - where would he really compete for a starting spot? I can't think of a place - maybe Arizona? - and the draft isn't even over. Teams with shaky starters will draft a QB. Colt is a backup.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Where is he going to compete for a starting gig, if not in Cleveland?

sheepshead
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Reports: Browns talking with Packers about trade for Colt McCoy
Apr
4/27/2012 10:54:46 AM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

The Browns are talking to Green Bay about trading quarterback Colt McCoy to the Packers, a source told the Packer Report per Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The Eagles might also be in the market for a backup, according to nflnetwork's Jason LaCanfora.

The Browns drafted quarterback Brandon Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick and said "he's the guy.''

The Packers have a sixth-round pick and four seventh-rounders that they can use to land McCoy. A player could also be involved. They need a backup to Aaron Rodgers after losing Matt Flynn to Seattle in free agency. The Eagles and Browns have traded several times in the past two seasons.

McCoy has not asked for a trade, according to LaCanfora, and is willing to come in and compete with Weeden. The Browns are initiating the talks.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM

No! That would be a terrible waste. Pack needs the next Torrance Marshall!

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I was going on the assumption of the 6th or 7th round pick for McCoy.

I'd be fine with that (not that what I think matters).

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
No! That would be a terrible waste. Pack needs the next Torrance Marshall!

I was thinking more along the lines of the next Matt Flynn.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
The Packers have a sixth-round pick and four seventh-rounders that they can use to land McCoy.

Can't trade compensatory picks. LaCanfora ought to know that.

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
We dont have space on the team for 12 picks so lets trade some :)

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Where is he going to compete for a starting gig, if not in Cleveland?

I thought there would be more teams interested, until I actually took the time to look. Maybe Minnesota?

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Can't trade compensatory picks. LaCanfora ought to know that.

the 6 and two 7s are tradeable - they're not going to give up more than one pick, I would assume. The point is moot

gbgary
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm one of the few people here in Cleveland who likes McCoy.

i kinda think he's got something. he'd be an ok back up.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I thought there would be more teams interested, until I actually took the time to look. Maybe Minnesota?

MN is all in with whatchamaface....shit - google - ..... Ponder. Yeah, they like him.

damn getting old sucks. There goes the brain!

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 11:14 AM
MN is all in with whatchamaface....shit - google - ..... Ponder. Yeah, they like him.

damn getting old sucks. There goes the brain!

I think they would have no problem bringing in competition for him. He's the starter by default, they have nobody else to turn to.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I think they would have no problem bringing in competition for him. He's the starter by default, they have nobody else to turn to.

Yet another Sage Rosenfels detractor identified! :lol: I bet MN drafts a QB - maybe the fella from Michigan State.

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
JOE WEB!?!?!?!? He is the best QB in MN and that makes me smile

ND72
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I would send a 6 or 7 for McCoy.

sheepshead
04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, Rodger's concussion history dictate we have a guy that can at least move the chains when called upon.

Bossman641
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
For a 6th? Sure, why not. We need a developmental guy anyways.

Patler
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Cleveland newspaper reports that the Packers and Browns are talking:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/reports_browns_talking_with_pa.html

Smidgeon
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
For a 6th? Sure, why not. We need a developmental guy anyways.

Agreed. And Colt has at least some talent. Better than Brohm for sure. And at least in Green Bay he'd have the coaching to maximize that and work for an organization who won't hang him out to dry with false promises every other month.

Smidgeon
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Cleveland newspaper reports that the Packers and Browns are talking:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/reports_browns_talking_with_pa.html

"The Browns initiated..." AKA "We'll call anyone we can that would possibly give us a pick for a guy we're spurning".

DonHutson
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
For what it's worth, Jason Wilde is saying the Packers are only interested in McCoy if he gets released:

http://espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

Tony Oday
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
hell a 6th and a both 7ths...really do we need more bottom roster guys? We have 11 remaining picks and you know TT will get some for next year.

Fritz
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Why trade a sixth rounder for an obvious career backup if you can draft a developmental guy with a fifth or sixth rounder, groom him, then trade him down the road?

Let Graham Harrell back up Rodgers. The team has gone into the season with shaky backup plans before. Brohm and Flynn, both rooks, were the backups at one point.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
McCoy is probably on par or better than a developmental guy you'd get with a fifth or sixth rounder. He still has the possibility of turning things around and improving, plus he has some valuable experience. I don't really care one way or the other.

Upnorth
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I would love to see him with the pack, he has showed some skills and with a better set of skill positions around him and the MM qb school we could easily turn the 6th round pick into something more, plus have a decent backup. Any one heard anything new about Graham Harrell?

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Did he actually hear it (or see it reported) or is Colin thinking again?

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Reports: Browns talking with Packers about trade for Colt McCoy
Apr
4/27/2012 10:54:46 AM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

The Browns are talking to Green Bay about trading quarterback Colt McCoy to the Packers, a source told the Packer Report per Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The Eagles might also be in the market for a backup, according to nflnetwork's Jason LaCanfora.

The Browns drafted quarterback Brandon Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick and said "he's the guy.''

The Packers have a sixth-round pick and four seventh-rounders that they can use to land McCoy. A player could also be involved. They need a backup to Aaron Rodgers after losing Matt Flynn to Seattle in free agency. The Eagles and Browns have traded several times in the past two seasons.

McCoy has not asked for a trade, according to LaCanfora, and is willing to come in and compete with Weeden. The Browns are initiating the talks.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Thanks for the fast answer Sheep! Though if the Browns initiated, then I smell a leak intended to create a market. You never know, works with baseball owners all the time.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
For what it's worth, Jason Wilde is saying the Packers are only interested in McCoy if he gets released:

http://espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

I am sure that was unintentional, but Wilde's timing is great.

Holmgren to GB: How much will you give us for McCoy?

Thompson: Depends, when will you be releasing him?

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Thompson: Hmm, what would be fair? How about this: once you release McCoy, we'll sign McCoy as a free agent and then you are welcome to sign Ryan Grant?

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I am sure that was unintentional, but Wilde's timing is great.

Holmgren to GB: How much will you give us for McCoy?

Thompson: Depends, when will you be releasing him?

Does he clear waivers?

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Does he clear waivers?

Might not. You get him for 2 years cheaply. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/colt-mccoy/

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Might not. You get him for 2 years cheaply. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/colt-mccoy/

So a late pick basically keeps him from being exposed to the waiver wire.

Pugger
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I have no problem with getting him for some late picks. And if Flynn shines in Seattle teams will come sniffing around McCoy after he has a couple of years in MM's QB school. :-)

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm probably the biggest McCoy fan on here. I think in the right situation he can be a decent starter. Not great, but he can get you by. I'd love to get him for late picks. We'll see. There's a glaring hole at backup QB. Yes, I'm very worried about Harrell being our backup QB for this year.

Cheesehead Craig
04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm probably the biggest McCoy fan on here. I think in the right situation he can be a decent starter. Not great, but he can get you by. I'd love to get him for late picks. We'll see. There's a glaring hole at backup QB. Yes, I'm very worried about Harrell being our backup QB for this year.

Harrell Hater. Shame on you. To think I almost let you buy me a beer once.

MadScientist
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Dubious of the idea. Colt should be on the last year of his contract, so the Packers would be giving up a pick for a 1 year backup.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Dubious of the idea. Colt should be on the last year of his contract, so the Packers would be giving up a pick for a 1 year backup.

He isn't a FA until 2014. Two years left on 4 year deal signed in 2010

Guiness
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I was wondering about his contract. If it's reasonable, you'd think he would be worth the late round pick.

Are the Browns anxious to get him out of town? It's not like he's an entrenched starter that's going to kick up a big fuss over having some competition. Maybe because they outright lied to him and don't want to deal with that? If they can't get a pick for this draft for him, I see no reason for them to release him outright.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I wonder if his finger/hand is healthy after that terrible shockwave James Harrison sent through McCoy's head during the Steeler-Browns game last year.

Sparkey
04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd pass on McCoy. There is no upside left in him so there is no possibilty to pawn him off for a higher pick in a year or two.

KYPack
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Yeah, yer probably right, but...

I like this kid. He got his ass whipped last year and showed a lot of "tough it out" coming back in.

Also I think Holmy is out of his ass up in Cleve and running that franchise into the Lake from whence it came.

Colt does play small, but he's showed me a lot of guts. we should be able to pick him up on the wire if we want to take a look.

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah, yer probably right, but...

I like this kid. He got his ass whipped last year and showed a lot of "tough it out" coming back in.

Also I think Holmy is out of his ass up in Cleve and running that franchise into the Lake from whence it came.

Colt does play small, but he's showed me a lot of guts. we should be able to pick him up on the wire if we want to take a look.

I like Colt McCoy too - but he's a placeholder starter at best. I also think Holmy is gonna make it happen in Cleveland. It doesn't help that they're possibly in the toughest Division in football, but I see them winning 8+ in 2012.