PDA

View Full Version : Crazy-Ass First Round Moves

Fritz
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
There are a few I can think of:

1. Poor John Schneider in Seattle. He's apparently not running the show. Bruce Irvin in the middle of the first round? I heard last night on Fox that Penis Carroll recruited Irvin as a high schooler and thus had an interest in him. Wow. Okay. What a dumb, dumb move - that guy could've been had in the beginning of the second round, at least. Penis Carroll = Idiot.

2. Mike Holmgren was a very, very good coach, a very poor GM and a piss-poor team president. He slobbered all over himself to get Richardson - what, three picks to move up one spot? - and then later picked a college QB who's older than Aaron Rodgers is right now. WTF, Mike?

3. St. Louis did not do as poorly as the pundit seem to think. They've got three second round picks now and a good DT to show for their work. Drafting Michael Floyd was not going to convert them into a winner.

4. The Bears still can't draft. The just used their first round pick on a 260 lb defensive end. KGB was about that when he played - but that was several years ago. Players are bigger now. And KGB was, I think, quicker than this kid.

5. I hate the NFL site. I'd like to know what the teams that traded up gave up to move up, but that site doesn't have any clear link or info on this. Did the Cowboys give up much to move up?

6. The Jest. hah. What a lame-ass pick they made. Funny how the teams who dominated this morning's commentaries are the usual suspects (The Jest, The Cowgirls, The Eagles) - they always win the Super Bowl this time of year.

Other crazy-ass moves you all see?

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
RGIII better be Cam Newton X10 or the Redskins overpaid. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 01:17 PM
There are a few I can think of:

1. Poor John Schneider in Seattle. He's apparently not running the show. Bruce Irvin in the middle of the first round? I heard last night on Fox that Penis Carroll recruited Irvin as a high schooler and thus had an interest in him. Wow. Okay. What a dumb, dumb move - that guy could've been had in the beginning of the second round, at least. Penis Carroll = Idiot.

2. Mike Holmgren was a very, very good coach, a very poor GM and a piss-poor team president. He slobbered all over himself to get Richardson - what, three picks to move up one spot? - and then later picked a college QB who's older than Aaron Rodgers is right now. WTF, Mike?

3. St. Louis did not do as poorly as the pundit seem to think. They've got three second round picks now and a good DT to show for their work. Drafting Michael Floyd was not going to convert them into a winner.

4. The Bears still can't draft. The just used their first round pick on a 260 lb defensive end. KGB was about that when he played - but that was several years ago. Players are bigger now. And KGB was, I think, quicker than this kid.

5. I hate the NFL site. I'd like to know what the teams that traded up gave up to move up, but that site doesn't have any clear link or info on this. Did the Cowboys give up much to move up?

6. The Jest. hah. What a lame-ass pick they made. Funny how the teams who dominated this morning's commentaries are the usual suspects (The Jest, The Cowgirls, The Eagles) - they always win the Super Bowl this time of year.

Other crazy-ass moves you all see?

woodbuck27: John Schneider may have ensured our pick. i loved his move into the second round for a one dimensional pass rusher. Thanks John.

woodbuck27: That move by mike Holmgren redefines the word....What !! I'm so kind. (-:

woodbuck27: THE RAMS !! Having a good off season. Loading up !

woodbuck27: All they did was ' really piss of ' Bretsky!

woodbuck27: I'm here with all the bells and whistles. It's football action central up here in the Great White North...they gave up a second (#45)

woodbuck27: Watch the Jets turn on the 'O' picks in Rounds two through five.

That was a wild evening for a draft. Exciting.

GO TED Thompson !!

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Pete Carroll should be bronzed and installed as the main exhibit at the Peter Principle Museum and Felafel Stand.

I think Holmgren got played. Never fall in love with a player, car or house when you are buying.

The RGIII gamble is what you get when you have a short timer running the show. Dan Snyder is supposed to be a (tele) marketing genius, but if a marketing plan goes awry, you can start over in the next Quarter or Year. Doesn't work that way with football teams. Stephen Ross needs to get the same advice. Everyone said Sherman was not pushing Tannehill. But Stephen couldn't resist, not could he take the hint.

Eliot Wolf nearly derailed his career with a Tweeted slam of the Vikings.

I heard the Patriots jumped up the second time to get in front of the Ravens, who wanted Hightower to replace Lewis. It would seem a good move but Hoody has misplayed some hands lately in the draft despite the extra picks.

Having only thought about McClellin at OL, I can't imagine him at DE, his "natural" position at Boise. But I think at 260 he can gain some weight and play end. One of the ends in Lovie's system is usually smaller and speedier.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 01:31 PM

@eliotwolf46: Our owner just came in with a stack of draft guides with stuff highlighted and circled #ohwaitwerenotthevikings

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Pete Carroll should be bronzed and installed as the main exhibit at the Peter Principle Museum and Felafel Stand.

I think Holmgren got played. Never fall in love with a player, car or house when you are buying.

The RGIII gamble is what you get when you have a short timer running the show. Dan Snyder is supposed to be a (tele) marketing genius, but if a marketing plan goes awry, you can start over in the next Quarter or Year. Doesn't work that way with football teams. Stephen Ross needs to get the same advice. Everyone said Sherman was not pushing Tannehill. But Stephen couldn't resist, not could he take the hint.

I heard the Patriots jumped up the second time to get in front of the Ravens, who wanted Hightower to replace Lewis. It would seem a good move but Hoody has misplayed some hands lately in the draft despite the extra picks.

Having only thought about McClellin at OL, I can't imagine him at DE, his "natural" position at Boise. But I think at 260 he can gain some weight and play end. One of the ends in Lovie's system is usually smaller and speedier.

"Having only thought about McClellin at OL, I can't imagine him at DE, his "natural" position at Boise." pbmax

I was shocked that da BEARS selected Shea McClellin. I thought that the team that could go for him was NE Pat's... but BEARS..NO.

Patler
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
@eliotwolf46: Our owner just came in with a stack of draft guides with stuff highlighted and circled #ohwaitwerenotthevikings

I don't get it. What was Wolf's point?

pbmax
04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Unclear, especially since the Vikings and Spielman had just committed highway robbery of the Browns. I think he was tweaking the Dolphins but then decided to label it a Vikings slam. He Tweeted shortly after the Tannehill pick. Its not the first time he has slammed someone trying to be funny on Twitter. He should abandon it toot suite.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM

I think he was trying to sabotage his career prospects.

Patler
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Does anyone have a good list of the trade details?

As for the NFL site, they are so busy pumping their analysts and writers, I couldn't even find a decent list of the first round selections. The "tracker" showed a blank page, and everything else was a player p[er page with commentary.

I dislike the Packer website (or should I say "the Vic Ketcham website") almost as much as I dislike the NFL site

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Four picks stand out to me in the first round:

Coples to the Jest: It's like they're courting disaster, but that's what they do over there. Coples in that locker room? You had better hope Tebow is a miracle worker.

Irvin to the Seahawks: It's pretty clear that between Carroll, Schneider, Paul Allen, and the cumulative marijuana consumption in the Pacific Northwest, they march to the beat of a different drummer over there. Still, I'm wondering at what point defensive players who are exclusively suited to passing situations will come to be referred to as 2-down players instead of 1-down players (and conversely when defensive players who are exclusively suited to playing the run will become 1-down instead of 2-down players). 60% of offensive plays in the NFL last year were passes, so it's actually less insane than drafting a guy who's just a run-stuffer.

Weeden to the Browns: This franchise is just sad. They blink and get bilked out of picks by the Vikings, and they totally blow the pick at #22. What did they get for Julio Jones? Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Brandon Weeden? Ouch. I hate taking a WR that high, but Quintorris is easily better value there. As a general manager, Mike Holmgren is a great head coach.

Shea McClellin to the Bears: Someone has to explain this to me. I just don't get it. The Jest are risk takers, the Seahawks are weird, and the Browns are pathetic so all those picks make sense. This does not make sense to me. It's almost as if they took this guy specifically to deny him to the Packers, but if they were really interested in denying the Packers pass rush, they should have drafted Reiff. I cannot justify taking McClellin (who I like, honestly) over people like Reiff, DeCastro, Jones, Mercilus, all of whom were available.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Its a horrible year for draft tracking. ESPN and NFL kept crashing Firefox with the indiscriminate use of java and its memory leaking superpowers.

I used the one at CBSSports.com and it worked well. But updates were slow. They had the trade details in a link for each affected pick; in real time anyway.

Pugger
04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
"Having only thought about McClellin at OL, I can't imagine him at DE, his "natural" position at Boise." pbmax

I was shocked that da BEARS selected Shea McClellin. I thought that the team that could go for him was NE Pat's... but BEARS..NO.

Stupid bares. Those clowns need somebody to protect Jay Cutler. Instead their season will be toast when Jay gets blasted again this coming season. :lol:

Pugger
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Another stupid pick was KC and Poe. Poe is a combine warrior who disappeared in games in Conference USA. He'll be a real force in the NFL. :roll: :lol:

Scott Campbell
04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Another stupid pick was KC and Poe. Poe is a combine warrior who disappeared in games in Conference USA. He'll be a real force in the NFL. :roll: :lol:

And what was up with that hair?

Fritz
04-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I am glad to see some discussion of these curious moves. To me, the Carroll move was the worst, although Coples to an already dysfunctional team is weird, too.

I did not know E. Wolf tweeted what he did. I don't quite get it, but it was a dumb move tweaking anyone, just the same.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 03:25 PM

I don't think Poe was that bad a pick. KC will likely never have another opportunity to draft a man with that combination of size, strength, and athleticism. They also need a nose tackle badly. It's a risky pick, but the upside there is astronomical. I'm sure they've talked to the kid and they have a much better idea why he didn't play well at Memphis than you or I do.

sharpe1027
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't think Poe was that bad a pick. KC will likely never have another opportunity to draft a man with that combination of size, strength, and athleticism. They also need a nose tackle badly. It's a risky pick, but the upside there is astronomical. I'm sure they've talked to the kid and they have a much better idea why he didn't play well at Memphis than you or I do.

Maybe, but anybody that jumps up as much as he did solely on combine numbers has a huge bust potential. The first question that needs to be answered is how well he plays football, not how well he would do in a decathlon. He needs to improve from his college performance just to be on par with the performances of DTs that still have not yet been drafted. I'm not sure he's upside is really that astronomical, but what the hell do I know. :)

Smidgeon
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Four picks stand out to me in the first round:

Coples to the Jest: It's like they're courting disaster, but that's what they do over there. Coples in that locker room? You had better hope Tebow is a miracle worker.

Irvin to the Seahawks: It's pretty clear that between Carroll, Schneider, Paul Allen, and the cumulative marijuana consumption in the Pacific Northwest, they march to the beat of a different drummer over there. Still, I'm wondering at what point defensive players who are exclusively suited to passing situations will come to be referred to as 2-down players instead of 1-down players (and conversely when defensive players who are exclusively suited to playing the run will become 1-down instead of 2-down players). 60% of offensive plays in the NFL last year were passes, so it's actually less insane than drafting a guy who's just a run-stuffer.

Weeden to the Browns: This franchise is just sad. They blink and get bilked out of picks by the Vikings, and they totally blow the pick at #22. What did they get for Julio Jones? Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Brandon Weeden? Ouch. I hate taking a WR that high, but Quintorris is easily better value there. As a general manager, Mike Holmgren is a great head coach.

Shea McClellin to the Bears: Someone has to explain this to me. I just don't get it. The Jest are risk takers, the Seahawks are weird, and the Browns are pathetic so all those picks make sense. This does not make sense to me. It's almost as if they took this guy specifically to deny him to the Packers, but if they were really interested in denying the Packers pass rush, they should have drafted Reiff. I cannot justify taking McClellin (who I like, honestly) over people like Reiff, DeCastro, Jones, Mercilus, all of whom were available.

This was actually my first reaction when I heard the selection.

Thusly repped for reading my mind.

3irty1
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Unclear, especially since the Vikings and Spielman had just committed highway robbery of the Browns. I think he was tweaking the Dolphins but then decided to label it a Vikings slam. He Tweeted shortly after the Tannehill pick. Its not the first time he has slammed someone trying to be funny on Twitter. He should abandon it toot suite.

He tweeted that well before the draft.

pbmax
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
He tweeted that well before the draft.

Ah, got it. Then I must have seen a Retweet,

Guiness
04-27-2012, 05:06 PM

He went a lot higher than projected, didn't he? Not that that matters, really.

KYPack
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
And what was up with that hair?

A goofy do and bling ass watch and bracelet = JAD

Just A Dickhead

Bretsky
04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Seattle puzzles me; they need help. They reached with Irvin and then used a 3rd round draft pick to pick Russell Wilson right after paying Matt Flynn bucks. They have a backup....and then they use a 3rd for somebody who won't play for a while.

Holmgren- Not fair to judge him yet. I do agree..generally....but if Richardson is like AP it was well worth it. Weeden...so what...he's older. If he is starting by mid year and gives them six to eight years as a starter the pick might end up being worth it. I don't agree with the pick, but I'm not going to condemn it

Rams.......as a fan of them.......I'm disappointed....stupid dubmshits comes to mind. I loved their strategy but the Appalachian WR at top of round two was a joke over some of the players left. I can live with the incredibly talented head case they picked next. But overall they put themselves in a boom or bust situations...lot of bust potential

The Bears............don't judge it til you see how versatile Shea McClelin is

mraynrand
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM

I think you're going to be wrong about this. The Vikings could have taken the RB - recall Peterson was hurt, and with a few seasons under his belt, could age quickly. Peterson can't block, doesn't catch all that well out of the backfield, so why not take the dynamic young back?

Either way, the Browns really didn't give up much considering they have 12 draft picks.

Their old young QB will start right away, and they might be pretty good, because their defense was solid and is improving - this will be the second year will Jauron's 4-3.

Browns detractors will be eating their words when the Brownies win 8+ games this year.....