Round One--DEFENSE
Round Two--DEFENSE
Round Two- DEFENSE

HOODY GENIUS

Round One--DEFENSE
Round One--DEFENSE
Round Two-DEFENSE
Round Three- DEFENSE

Yes, I know....they may not be the worst defenses in the NFL, but the reactions of their respective GM's indicated they both sucked. No more chatter of TT ignoring team needs. No more talk of Hoody outsmarting himself in these drafts.
Two of the better teams in football seemed to draft some impact defensive players.

And with Rogers and Brady leading them, it appears they are making the moves to stay on top

Pugger
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
The beauty of this is NE is done picking and we have several more kids to snap up tomorrow. :-D

woodbuck27
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
One word....YES.

ND72
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The beauty of this is NE is done picking and we have several more kids to snap up tomorrow. :-D

Actually they have our #5

Pugger
04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Actually they have our #5

Oh, I didn't know they were involved. Thx.

Lurker64
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
I really think that "Tavon Wilson in the second" could very well be another "hoodie outsmarting himself" pick. I mean, yes it's a defensive player, but it really feels to me like an "I'm smarter than you" pick. The Pats have done that in the past on defense and it hasn't helped a lot.

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 12:56 AM
BPA

Lurker64
04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
BPA

It's weird how by trading up you can actually match players with the highest grade available with your needs. It's also weird how cheap trading up is now.

LEWCWA
04-28-2012, 02:29 AM
I like the guys picked so far, but was really hoping to add Lamichael James to the stable.

woodbuck27
04-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Oh, I didn't know they were involved. Thx.

I got up this morning and couldn't believe the move that Ted Thompson pulled off with Bill Bilichick. I didn't realize they were 'Shadow Allies'.

TT moved up 28 slots from a late third round (90) to a late second round (62) to snap a fella he must have loved ...CB Casey Hayward; Vanderbilt.

The cost was 'only his late 5th round pick (#163) with a value of **26 pts.

Pick #62 has a value of 284 pts and pick #90 has a value of 140 pts. So for a difference in position value of 144 pts. Ted Thompson 'only had to pay' the NE Patriots 'a paltry in comparison' ** 26 Pts. So our GM gained an amazing 118 pts in that swap of draft positions with 'the Pats'.

Did Ted Thompson discover Bill Belichick at a weak moment?

Ted Thompson calls Bill Belichick:

The 'Fly On The Wall'...hears the phone ring in 'the Pat's War room'..... ring....ring...ring... 'the Fly' listens carefully....

Bill Belichick on the phone with Ted Thompson:

"Ohh hello Ted..yaa sure man....nice day.... nice to hear from yaa! ....Need something Ted...What's that you say...OK you want to swap picks ....our #62 for your #90 and what???....Ok got yaa ...we get another pick your fifth rounder. Sure ..... great Ted....we could use another pick.... yaa never know what may be there for yaa. Better to have that pick in the fifth anyway ....as we're gonna be here .... we need to keep an eye on what's going on with those fricken Jets and Bills...yaa the Dolphins...hahaaha ....what a joke....Great Ted.... use that pick wisely...Good Luck Ted..bye bye".

Bretsky
04-28-2012, 05:52 AM
It does seem like TT has found his favorite trade partner in Hoody Genius to abuse

woodbuck27
04-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I like the guys picked so far, but was really hoping to add Lamichael James to the stable.

I liked him too but reality strikes the match.

Ted Thompson had to go to another active/development defensive prospect after securing at pass rush DE/OLB (Nick Perry) and on the DL with DT (Jerel Worthy) and these were two glaring needs covered nicely by TT as he sat pondering a corner and the quality of such with his late third round pick (#90).

Now he might have looked at the Safety position; but obviously he loved CB (slash maybe? FS) Casey Heyward, vanderbilt.

An excellent pickup for our nickle and dime packages and the fella to move into any rotation for those times Dom Capers has to move Charles Woodson to the safety position and maybe the heir apparant to CW at CB. He will not likely displace any of the existing corners in Charles Woodson, Tramone Williams and Sam Shields but he will be number four and moving up as this young corner is technically sound if not fast he does it all well and he's a great tackler. We need that kind of player in our secondary.

Look at it this way. Your fella Lamichael James (was just off the board at #61**) when TT came on surprizingly to select at #62.

** He went to the San Fran 49ers....??? Why? They are loaded at RB ! I hope his explosive 'Home Run' talent isn't lost in the shuffel.

I'm not sure if the rest of the NFC is noticing but the San Francisco 49ers are loading up ! I'm so glad that Peyton's little brother Eli plays in the NFC. It would be 'just sick' to see PM behind center as a 49er.

Ted Thompson looked like a genious to me yesterday. Especially stealing from the pocket of who....Bil Belichick...uhh !? TT had it all going on Friday the 27th April,2012.He had the luckof th Irish with Jerel Worthy sitting on the board forever and he used that smooth voice to put Bill Belichick tosleep and moving up 28 slots ...bottom third to bottom second round for what!?... his late fifth rounder. NO !!!

Belichick settled for that?? Why?? (-:

GO Ted Thompson>>>GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-28-2012, 06:11 AM
It does seem like TT has found his favorite trade partner in Hoody Genius to abuse

Ted has that smooth voice and that innoscent look. (-:

An unbelievable move with Belichick and today Bill is saying..."Did I really make that deal? Keep me off the phone"

Bretsky
04-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Ted has that smooth voice and that innoscent look. (-:

An unbelievable move with Belichick and today Bill is saying..."Did I really make that deal? Keep me off the phone"

When it all comes down to trade time I'm not sure TT or Hoody care much about value charts.

On paper TT was fleeced on the Clay Matthews deal if you go by the value charts, but TT would do it again and I bet Hoody wishes he'd taken Matthews

They do seems to be borderline trade buddies with the action; I'm thinking teams call Hoody often because he likes trading so much. Yesterday it's obvious he wanted some action today.

It would not surprise me at all if Hoody tries to turn that first into a sixth and seventh.

TT could still use a sixth round pick and a seventh to move up...........perhaps with Hoody again ?

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 07:28 AM
It's weird how by trading up you can actually match players with the highest grade available with your needs. It's also weird how cheap trading up is now.

HGAWYN

3irty1
04-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Its really hard to even make the team on offense. I'd expect the trend of defense defense defense to continue today as well.

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Yup

Bretsky
04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
agree; on one hand a RB, OL, and QB would not surprise me..........but on other hand the defensive trend could continue throughout

Fritz
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm getting conflicting reports. Last night I thought TT gave NE the third rounder to move up; today I read he gave the Iggles the third rounder to move up in the second, but he only had to give the Hooded One a fourth and fifth to get into the end of the second.

Anyone know what the real story is?

pbmax
04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
BPA

werd

pbmax
04-28-2012, 12:35 PM
HGAWYN

tough werd

pbmax
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
He made the deal with the Eagles, obtaining the No. 51 selection in return for No. 59 and one of his three fourth-round picks (No. 123).

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, presumably desperate for an additional choice to replenish his thin draft reserves, allowed Thompson to take his second-round pick (No. 62) in exchange for a third-rounder (No. 90) and a fifth-rounder (No. 163).

Smidgeon
04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
What I think is interesting--if the report that the CB did have a first round grade for the Packers, is that the Packers got three players with what they considered to be first round talent. Hopefully they're right.

Brandon494
04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Not a surprise

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
HGAWYN

tough werd

I know. But my point is that BPA is a joke. HGAWYN is what a good GM does. BPA most likely leads to an unbalanced roster.

pbmax
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I know. But my point is that BPA is a joke. HGAWYN is what a good GM does. BPA most likely leads to an unbalanced roster.

No, I am with you, though the acronym needs work. It is better than the explanation I gave yesterday. Which sounded like a fortune cookie done by a poor translator.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
BPA is a joke, especially when your team struggled on defense, and the fact that they had glaring holes at every level of their defense. Thompson loves hiding under the cloak of "BPA" but in reality he will trade back or up to makes sure he is getting a player that can compete for a position of need.

I am really trying to dislike Thompson, I am glad I never said he was a bad GM, because in reality he is a bad motherfucker, but I would still kick him in the nuts and punch him in the ear.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2012, 03:47 PM
On paper TT was fleeced on the Clay Matthews deal if you go by the value charts, but TT would do it again and I bet Hoody wishes he'd taken Matthews.

It looked a little lopsided on paper, but the end results weren't as lopsided as you might think.

726.6 for the Packers. 890 for the Patriots.

Packers end up with Mathews. Patriots end up with Gronkowski and Edelman.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Like one with 5 Tight Ends?

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Like one with 5 Tight Ends?

I don't think that was all that strange, if you look where the Packers were with their FBs and what McCarty asks the TEs to do; block in the backfield, block on the ends, and catch passes - that's a lot. Packers were getting rid of Quinn and Hall, and Kuhn isn't a pure blocking FB. The extra TEs made perfect sense. TT builds a roster that his coaches can use in their schemes. It's not BPA - HGAWYN!

mraynrand
04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
BPA is a joke, especially when your team struggled on defense, and the fact that they had glaring holes at every level of their defense. Thompson loves hiding under the cloak of "BPA" but in reality he will trade back or up to makes sure he is getting a player that can compete for a position of need.

I am really trying to dislike Thompson, I am glad I never said he was a bad GM, because in reality he is a bad motherfucker, but I would still kick him in the nuts and punch him in the ear.

We're gonna miss you when you leave. You're a total bastard, but you're honest! :lol:

MJZiggy
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

I'm starting to wonder if anyone remembers that when TT made those BPA comments, we were in full rebuilding mode whether we were willing to publicly admit as much or not. Those were the days of stockpiling picks. These are the days of trading up. I guess it's all about identifying what's best for the team at any given time.

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I like TT's description of the safety. Said he looked good in center field, said he had good tape, his presence was felt on the field. Said he comes up and plays the run well. We desperately need a center fielder. We have SS types. We need a rangy, steady center fielder who can cover ground and be consistent with his assignments. The odds of him coming even close to Nick Collins is slim to none, but if he can split the difference at that spot between Peprah/Burnett and Collins, we'll be a lot better off (especially considering our front 7 looks deeper than it's ever been.)

Collins was special in how he could go sideline to sideline. If this guy can go 80% of the way, at least it tightens up that window a little bit when we choose to go one safety deep. MD Jennings is a guy who has that centerfielder look to him.

woodbuck27
04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm starting to wonder if anyone remembers that when TT made those BPA comments, we were in full rebuilding mode whether we were willing to publicly admit as much or not. Those were the days of stockpiling picks. These are the days of trading up. I guess it's all about identifying what's best for the team at any given time.

If the NFL GM agreed to one Big Board for all of the NFL players based on a common standard of grading all players. Then to use the term BPA would be legitimate. As it is it depends on who's board your looking at as to was that pick the BPA or not. So the term BPA is meaningless in terms of judging a GM's pick as certainly BPA or not.

What is BPA but an opinion based in a GM's reasons for making a particular choice and that pick may 'in fact' be far from the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

The term BPA then generally is BS.

Patler
04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
There are two variations of the BPA philosophy:
BDPA
BOPA

TT followed the first this year, and when a highly ranked BDPA was left unpicked, one who TT had separated from the second best available, he went up and got him.

I seriously doubt that TT cared in what order he drafted the defensive players, he knew by the end of the draft he would possibly remake a good portion of his overall roster on defense.

Guys from the regular roster in 2011 will have plenty of challengers. Wynn, Wilson, Jones, Walden, Zombo, So'Oto, Lattimore, Francois, House, Jennings, even Peprah, and the like will have to step up their games to have a roster spot.

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I've heard it said," the mark of a good corner back is making plays on the ball." Davon House had 46 career pass breakups and 11 career interceptions. That's making plays! He had an injury riddled rookie year. He's interesting though. MD Jennings too. Even Burnett has some upside we might not have seen yet. I hate to even say the name, but even Mike Neal has a chance.

We added a lot of talent, but shit, if a couple of the hold overs make jumps, we could be friggin loaded.

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
There are two variations of the BPA philosophy:
BDPA
BOPA

TT followed the first this year, and when a highly ranked BDPA was left unpicked, one who TT had separated from the second best available, he went up and got him.

I seriously doubt that TT cared in what order he drafted the defensive players, he knew by the end of the draft he would possibly remake a good portion of his overall roster on defense.

Guys from the regular roster in 2011 will have plenty of challengers. Wynn, Wilson, Jones, Walden, Zombo, So'Oto, Lattimore, Francois, House, Jennings, even Peprah, and the like will have to step up their games to have a roster spot.

If it fell where there were no defensive players he wanted to go after were in his reach, and he had to sit tight and there was only 2 guys left with the top grade (an OT and QB.) I'm not certain TT would have taken a lower rated defensive player.

I don't think he went into this thing saying, "we're going to take the best defensive player available, even if a higher rated offensive player is on the board." I think he went into it and said, "rather than sit tight and have an offensive player be the BPA, lets move up so we don't get forced into that decision."

The tradeups were to insure the best player was defense. Had they not worked out, and OL was BPA, I don't think he would have drafted a lower rated defensive player. I just think it worked out where he could trade up and get BPA's that he needed vs waiting and getting ones he didn't need.

Patler
04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
If it fell where there were no defensive players he wanted to go after were in his reach, and he had to sit tight and there was only 2 guys left with the top grade (an OT and QB.) I'm not certain TT would have taken a lower rated defensive player.

I don't think he went into this thing saying, "we're going to take the best defensive player available, even if a higher rated offensive player is on the board." I think he went into it and said, "rather than sit tight and have an offensive player be the BPA, lets move up so we don't get forced into that decision."

The tradeups were to insure the best player was defense. Had they not worked out, and OL was BPA, I don't think he would have drafted a lower rated defensive player. I just think it worked out where he could trade up and get BPA's that he needed vs waiting and getting ones he didn't need.

We are pretty much saying the same thing, just looking from opposite sides. Same intentions, same results. Find defensive players and get them.

I think when he saw a defensive player that he valued quite a bit higher than what would fall to him at his pick, he went up and got them. It appears all were players he valued much higher than where he drafted them.

If I understand you correctly, you think he did it to avoid having to chose between O and D when his pick came around.