PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Nick Perry and the interior pass rushers

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Capers said Perry fits well into our nickle scheme. He also said they are going to continue to play far more nickle than base in another interview.

If you're playing to Perry's strengths, you're going to have to let him loose at the QB far more often than dropping him into coverage early in his career.

This means Matthews is going to have to drop into coverage more often

With the addition of the interior pass rushers, I actually think this is a positive. Here's why:

1. Raji is going to be able to stay more fresh

2. Matthews was consistently doubled and tripled last season. If he's showing blitz and dropping into coverage more, teams will be committing extra attention to our star pass rusher and it will expose the rest of their pass protection to single blocks or even free shots on some blitzes. YOu might even see two pass protectors standing around wondering what to do after Matthews drops into coverage while the other side is getting overloaded with shock and awe.

3. We have Raji, Perry, Hargrove and two quick, gap shooting rookies who will be playing in the nickle setup. For a change, overcomitting to Matthews is going to come back to haunt offenses.

4. Since over-committing to Matthews is causing havoc, Matthews will see more one on ones when he does rush (and it will still be a fair amount of the time.)

Matthews pass rush attempts may go down by 10-20%, but the single block opportunities should go way up. And it looks like we're going to get some steady pressure up the middle. A single block on Matthews with interior pressure is going to be like taking candy from a baby.

Summary:

Last year you could double Matthews and Raji, single block everyone else and sit back in the pocket like the QB was skipping through a field of daisies. This year, you cannot double Raji and Matthews and skip through a field of daisies because it appears we have legitimate pass rushers who can beat single blocks. It went from skipping through daisies to nightmare on elm street. We went from predictable (no choice but to rush Raji and Matthews because it's all we had) to unpredictable (we can use our star defenders as decoys, opening up favorable one on one's AND we can (rush our star pass rushers, only this time getting favorable matchups) This draft helps us become unpredictable.

We put up points. Our ST's are rock solid. Teams are going to have to come at us and we just went all out to fortify our pass defense. Look out. On paper, in concept, this looks like a nightmare defense to pass against.

RashanGary
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Another thing to consider. Perry and Matthews are both extremely fast. If the interior pressure flushes the QB, the QB is going to be running away from two of the fastest OLBs in the NFL. Not a good situation for an offense.

3irty1
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
How do you figure Matthews will have to drop into coverage while in the Nickle package? I mean he does on the occasional zone-blitz but he pretty much did anyways.

mission
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Great points. Another thing I thought about watching Perry video is he seems to never get beat outside and can chase down guys to the corner. Remember the KC game? Yeesh, I pray I never see contain D like that again.

I'm really, really excited about this draft.

Cheesehead Craig
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
With the addition of more pass rushers, I think this opens up Bishop on the delayed blitzes which is something I think he does well at. He's got great closing speed for those. I think his sack numbers go up this season.

Iron Mike
04-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Teams are going to have to come at us.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/camb3.PNG

pbmax
04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Great points. Another thing I thought about watching Perry video is he seems to never get beat outside and can chase down guys to the corner. Remember the KC game? Yeesh, I pray I never see contain D like that again.

I'm really, really excited about this draft.

I thought we agreed not to discuss that game anymore?

pbmax
04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I think Worthy also fits your description. Someone with his burst across from the C-G gap is going to be tough to give to the Center alone. Have the G help and Matthews is freer. Send a back to help the C and a blitzer gets a free run.

mission
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I think Worthy also fits your description. Someone with his burst across from the C-G gap is going to be tough to give to the Center alone. Have the G help and Matthews is freer. Send a back to help the C and a blitzer gets a free run.

Will do wonders for Raji I think... he struggled with wimps in at DE

Joemailman
04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
When the Packers put together their 53 man roster, does Mike Neal who will be suspended, have to count as one of the 53?

pbmax
04-28-2012, 08:00 PM
When the Packers put together their 53 man roster, does Mike Neal who will be suspended, have to count as one of the 53?

I think there is a suspended/ineligible list, but not sure about its affect on the 53 count.

smuggler
04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
No, but when he comes back he will!

Little Whiskey
04-29-2012, 12:32 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/camb3.PNG

baby madtown?

Lurker64
04-29-2012, 12:37 AM

He will not count against the 53 once the season starts until his suspension is up.

Remember the KC game? Yeesh, I pray I never see contain D like that again.

I'm secretly hoping TT fires Erik Walden out of a cannon into the sun.

Pugger
04-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I strongly suspect there are several HCs in this league downing Maalox after watching what TT did to shore up our defense! With one of the most explosive offenses around and now with a defense that can actually get after QBs our beloved Packers will be one tough group to beat in 2012. :wow:

KYPack
04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm drinking that post-draft Kool-aid, but...

If a few of these boys turns out like Ricky Elmore did last season, we aren't looking so good.

Zool
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
If the nickel is a 2-4-5, wouldn't both OLB's be rushing?

pbmax
04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

In nickel, yes, unless there is an overload blitz to the other side then he is in coverage.

In base, it can be either/or.

woodbuck27
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm drinking that post-draft Kool-aid, but...

If a few of these boys turns out like Ricky Elmore did last season, we aren't looking so good.

Anything can happen **but with the exception of TT's last pick..he might have done better there 'as in RB' well anywhere but at QB. Believe me... I see just how much concern we have at that backup position as it was; but another something 'Jay' as a pick at QB.

Wasn't TT's best move as I viewd his options.

** TT had a super draft. Now it's how hungry these prospects are to be a GREEN BAY PACKER.

GO TT >>>GO PACKERS !

hoosier
04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Matthews will benefit most from an interior rush that can prevent the QB from stepping up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush. If Daniels (or Raji benefitting from Daniels) can do that, the 2012 defense will look more like the 2010 edition than 2011.

Smeefers
04-30-2012, 09:25 AM

I think us running so much 2-4-5 last year is due to a very poor 3rd option at DE. I can see us going to more the base D if we have players who can fill those roles. I also think we played more nickle because teams are putting 3 wr's on the field much more often. I think that we went 2-4-5 in those situations because our linebackers were better than our ends and so we tried to put our best players on the field. If worthy or Hargrove show enough grit, I could see us playing more 3-3-5 or even 4-2-5 (just as a wrinkle) nickle formations.

I figured pb already answered ya, but I had something to add anyway.

Smidgeon
04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I think us running so much 2-4-5 last year is due to a very poor 3rd option at DE. I can see us going to more the base D if we have players who can fill those roles. I also think we played more nickle because teams are putting 3 wr's on the field much more often. I think that we went 2-4-5 in those situations because our linebackers were better than our ends and so we tried to put our best players on the field. If worthy or Hargrove show enough grit, I could see us playing more 3-3-5 or even 4-2-5 (just as a wrinkle) nickle formations.

I figured pb already answered ya, but I had something to add anyway.

Except they ran the nickel over 70% of the time in 2010. So I imagine that's actually Capers' base scheme now.

Smeefers
04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Except they ran the nickel over 70% of the time in 2010. So I imagine that's actually Capers' base scheme now.

Man. Really? 70%? Jeez that's a lot. Does that mean teams have 3 WR's out there 70% of the time? I mean, I know our team gave up on the run a long time ago but I didn't know every other team did as well.

Side note: I was alive back in the 80's, but really didn't understand football all to much. Is our offense anything like Warren Moon's run and shoot?

mraynrand
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
The nickel sucked in part because Woodson didn't tackle as well last year. The entire secondary didn't tackle well because they were all injured (Collins - out, Williams - shoulder, Burnett - hand, Shields - concussion, Peprah - Peprah), nor did they play as much press. Add that to the crappy D-line play (Raji - SB hangover) and ROLB, and you have a defensive disaster. The entire defense needs to improve, not just have better new guys.

3irty1
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Man. Really? 70%? Jeez that's a lot. Does that mean teams have 3 WR's out there 70% of the time? I mean, I know our team gave up on the run a long time ago but I didn't know every other team did as well.

Side note: I was alive back in the 80's, but really didn't understand football all to much. Is our offense anything like Warren Moon's run and shoot?

Capers chooses his defense based more on down and distance rather than what personnel the offense brings in. We often go nickle against offensive sets that have TE's and FB's on 1st and 10.

Bossman641
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Were we running a 2-4-5 or a 3-3-5? I honestly can't remember. My shot in the dark would be we ran more 3-3-5 in 2010 cause we had better DL rush options.

I'm very interested in seeing how the DL shakes out in 2012. I believe we normally keep 5 DL active on gamedays. Raji and Picket are locks, I'll give Worthy and Neal 2 other spots just because I think they have the most potential. Capers can go a lot of ways with that last spot - a big body (Muir/Wilson), a pass rush threat (Hargrove, Daniels), a wild card like Guy.

I think Daniels/Hargrove/Wynn are playing for one spot. Hard for me to imagine the Packers carrying 2 of those guys on the roster when they can't provide much in terms of 3-4 defense and you'd figure they would have to hold onto either Wilson/Muir/a training camp large body as insurance for Raji/Picket. The strange thing about the draft was that McCarthy had made prior comments about wanting to return to the base 3-4 but the Daniels pick and Hargrove signing are geared toward rush sub-packages.

pbmax
04-30-2012, 02:02 PM
2-4-5 for typical passing downs. 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 for long distances. Those three lineman looks always included Matthews, Raji and Someone Not Close To The QB.

3irty1
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
2-4-5 for typical passing downs. 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 for long distances. Those three lineman looks always included Matthews, Raji and Someone Not Close To The QB.

I wouldn't say the 3-3-5 was necessarily for long distances. Rather just a variation of our nickle to get the best players on the field. In 2009 with Kampman it was more popular than the 2-4-5. We could see a bit more of it this season if Perry is more effective rushing with a hand down or vs the run. Its all about getting your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

Also our dime defense is usually still the 2-4-5 but with Woodson playing ILB and Bush covering the slot.

pbmax
05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't say the 3-3-5 was necessarily for long distances. Rather just a variation of our nickle to get the best players on the field. In 2009 with Kampman it was more popular than the 2-4-5. We could see a bit more of it this season if Perry is more effective rushing with a hand down or vs the run. Its all about getting your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

Also our dime defense is usually still the 2-4-5 but with Woodson playing ILB and Bush covering the slot.

Yes, but I associate the 3-3-5 with 3 pass rushers, rather than the typical four out of nickel. And three pass rushers tended to appear on 3 and forever plays.

Fritz
05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
And "forever" was also how long opposing quarterbacks had to throw the ball...

RashanGary
05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Capers said Nickle is going to be the D he plays most. Said NFL has changed and the player choices are a reflection of that.

They say the new CB is that super-savvy type who can handle complex coverages. Capers said he's a guy who he can see playing inside (most complex DB position.) With Woodson getting older, I could see this guy being groomed as our new inside nickle CB with Wood moving to SS in the twilight of his career.

Just a hunch. Wood is losing a step. He's getting by on pure savvy right now. He can do that as a SS for another 3 years. If this new corner can handle the complexities inside, Woodson won't get stuck covering speedy slot receivers and can stick to playing downhill and chasing TE's, not Percy Harvin or Deshawn Jackson.

RashanGary
05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
If that new corner does evolve into that type of a player (highly likely a full year away at least) we'll have two inside cover guys who can tie down the middle of the field.

Still need a rangy free safety. Hopefully one pops up.

Upnorth
05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, but I associate the 3-3-5 with 3 pass rushers, rather than the typical four out of nickel. And three pass rushers tended to appear on 3 and forever plays.

In 2010 with Jenkins, 3-3-5 resulted in a good play for us. In 2011 3-3-5 resulted in nothing, so it looked like we moved to a 2-4-5 (or sometimes it felt like a 2-1-8). The difference was our ability to disrupt the QB consistently from a 3 man front. Will Perry and Worthy change that, god I hope so.

DB injuries played a role as well, however later in the season when certain players were recovering from injuries (Shields and TWill especially) there was no improvement defensively. To me this says than pass rush was a bigger role player than DB play.

Smidgeon
05-02-2012, 10:29 AM
If that new corner does evolve into that type of a player (highly likely a full year away at least) we'll have two inside cover guys who can tie down the middle of the field.

Still need a rangy free safety. Hopefully one pops up.

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/centerpiece/2012/04-april/120428-mcmillian710.jpg
Did somebody mention my name?

From JSO:

He had a solid performance at the NFL scouting combine, ran a 4.36 at his pro day and here he is. The Packers have had their eye on McMillian for a while. Vashel said the team was even around a full year ago.

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Nick Perry is being compared favourably to this fella:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Orakpo#Professional_career

pbmax
05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
In 2010 with Jenkins, 3-3-5 resulted in a good play for us. In 2011 3-3-5 resulted in nothing, so it looked like we moved to a 2-4-5 (or sometimes it felt like a 2-1-8). The difference was our ability to disrupt the QB consistently from a 3 man front. Will Perry and Worthy change that, god I hope so.

DB injuries played a role as well, however later in the season when certain players were recovering from injuries (Shields and TWill especially) there was no improvement defensively. To me this says than pass rush was a bigger role player than DB play.

Are you thinking the psycho package? That definitely worked better with Jenkins and fell off in 2011. I am not sure about the three man pass rush. Everyone was complaining about it both years, but it seemed to pick up late in 2011, not due to pressure, but the coverage was effective enough to force short throws. Sometimes the tackle was made before the sticks.

mraynrand
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/GB/photos/centerpiece/2012/04-april/120428-mcmillian710.jpg
Did somebody mention my name?

eerily, he is clothed in #36

woodbuck27
05-02-2012, 11:59 PM
eerily, he is clothed in #36

There you go.

That's why TT LOCKED onto him. Makes sense now.

Actually this kid has that special athleticism that one Donald Driver possessed.... well... maybe NOT that good; but he's certainly athletic.

His intelligence and will to learn need to be scoped and he needs to feel proud to be a Green Bay Packer and maybe something 'Special' might happen.