PDA

View Full Version : Samkon Gado questionable for rematch with Falcons

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Posted on Thu, Aug. 17, 2006

Gado questionable for rematch with Falcons

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Samkon Gado's breakout performance as an undrafted rookie running back for the Green Bay Packers last season came against the Atlanta Falcons.

Gado scored three touchdowns and rushed for 103 yards on his 23rd birthday as the Packers surprised the Falcons 33-25 in Atlanta Nov. 13.

Green Bay plays Atlanta in a preseason game Saturday at Lambeau Field.

"This game means a lot to me because that was a very important day in my life," Gado said Thursday.

But Gado may not get another shot at the Falcons this week because of the pulled groin he suffered late in the preseason opener at San Diego last Saturday.

Gado was cleared for individual drills in practice Thursday morning and expected to do the same in the evening practice. With treatments scheduled between the practices, Gado didn't sound optimistic that he would play Saturday.

He said that he hasn't fully healed from the injury, which happened as he made a tackle on a kick return.

"It's been tested today, and we're going to test it again later on in the second practice. It depends on how it responds," Gado said.

"If I wake up tomorrow morning feeling absolutely miserable, I'm not playing. But, if I feel great, we'll wait to see how it feels Saturday morning. If I feel better then, then I think they'll make a decision about whether I'm playing or not."

Gado is in competition with fellow returnees Najeh Davenport and Noah Herron for backup spots behind incumbent starter Ahman Green.

Green only began practicing last week after being sidelined since last October with a ruptured quadriceps tendon. The Pro Bowl back isn't expected to play in a preseason game until Aug. 28 at Cincinnati.

Even with Green sidelined Saturday, Gado said it's not worth the risk to get playing time Saturday if he's less than 100 percent recovered.

"It's a preseason game, and I think the coaches know what I bring to the table," said Gado, who led the Packers with 582 rushing yards in 2005.

"There's still a lot they need to see, but I don't think that there's an urgency that I have to play this weekend. We have two more preseason games after that."

Davenport stands to make his second straight start. He was held to 12 yards in six carries against the Chargers. The Packer running backs gained only 23 yards in 14 attempts.

VETERANS' PARTIAL DAY OF REST:

Quarterback Brett Favre was among several veteran players who were excused from attending the morning practice Thursday.

Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson, wide receiver Donald Driver, fullback William Henderson, tight end Bubba Franks, right tackle Mark Tauscher, defensive ends Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman and long snapper Rob Davis also were absent.

Green, left tackle Chad Clifton (knee), safety Marquand Manuel (calf) and wide receiver Robert Ferguson (back) were held out for medical reasons.

The majority of those players, including Favre, was expected to practice Thursday night. Head coach Mike McCarthy said he expects Ferguson, whose back flared up, to play Saturday.

Cornerback Ahmad Carroll didn't practice Thursday morning after injuring his left hamstring Wednesday. McCarthy said the injury wasn't serious, but Carroll's status for the game is questionable.

Rookie defensive end Dave Tollefson also was sidelined for the first practice with a rib injury sustained Wednesday. McCarthy said the rib wasn't cracked.

FAVRE FOR A HALF:

McCarthy said Favre and the No. 1 offense would probably play the first two quarters Saturday.

Favre played most of the first half against San Diego, completing five of 10 passes for 66 yards and taking two sacks.

McCarthy said the playing time for backup quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin and Brian Wrobel had yet to be determined.

"Pace of the game will probably dictate that," McCarthy said.

SIDELINE TOUCH-UP:

General manager Ted Thompson said a portion of the concrete path on the perimeter of the playing surface at Lambeau Field would be covered by Saturday's game.

"It's supposed to be (done) today or tomorrow. I think that's the timetable. But, rest assured, if I have to put it down myself, it'll be out there," Thompson said.

The safety measure taken by the team comes in the wake of a scary fall by safety Nick Collins in the intrasquad scrimmage at the stadium Aug. 5.

Collins hurt his lower back when his feet came out from underneath him at the end of a downfield pass play along the sideline near the end zone. Collins' momentum took him out of bounds and on to the concrete, where he fell on his back and slid hard into the wall separating the field from the front row of seats.

Players have been protected at the back of the two end zones, where carpet is laid over the concrete.

The covering will be extended up on the sides of the end zones and up to inside the 20-yard lines.

TURN OUT THE LIGHTS:

The Packers held their last of eight evening practices open to the public Thursday.

McCarthy, in his first year as coach, said he would like to continue holding nighttime practices in future training camps. The practice field was illuminated by portable lights.

"I've always been a big fan of it. That's why we've done it. I think it's been great for everybody," McCarthy said.

"I think the fans have been fabulous and the environment's incredible."

Players and staff are scheduled to check out of their living quarters at St. Norbert College in De Pere on Friday.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-17-2006, 11:53 PM
That sucks if Gato can't play, because he still hasn't got the ZBS down. Plus, all the attention will be on A. Green the week after that.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:13 AM
That sucks if Gato can't play, because he still hasn't got the ZBS down. Plus, all the attention will be on A. Green the week after that.

We are certainly going to need Samkon !!!!

PACKERS ! FAITH !!

test
08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
That's 2 injuries in recent playing history. Lots of heart but I'm wondering about his toughness.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Rastak
08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
That's 2 injuries in recent playing history. Lots of heart but I'm wondering about his toughness.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Maybe he's Green Bay's version of Mewelde Moore.

BooHoo
08-18-2006, 09:51 AM

We are certainly going to need Samkon !!!!

PACKERS ! FAITH !!

Is was thinking Samkon would be a valuable part of the offense. He would be the 2nd string guy but play often. We need him healthy!

MJZiggy
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I think we're overblowing it just a bit. With the first injury he might have been ready to go by the last game, but Sherman didn't want to risk it when there was so little to gain from it and this week he said he felt great, but I'd bet that they don't want him to play a meaningless preseason game and aggrivate it at turn it into one of those nagging injuries that lasts all season.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I have to disagree, these preseason games are anything but meaningless for him, as well as the rest of the 22 and 23 year olds we have on our team.

BooHoo
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I think we're overblowing it just a bit. With the first injury he might have been ready to go by the last game, but Sherman didn't want to risk it when there was so little to gain from it and this week he said he felt great, but I'd bet that they don't want him to play a meaningless preseason game and aggrivate it at turn it into one of those nagging injuries that lasts all season.

Good point. Also, Samkon will make the team regardless of how he plays in preseason.

Bretsky
08-19-2006, 07:15 AM

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree; what a great guy, but I'm not convniced in his durability

test
08-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Lots of heart and desire alone can't cut it. Got to stay healthy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
It's a little early to call Gado injury prone. The problem with Mewelde Moore is that it seems like he gets nicked up in every game. He's always taking himself out. Gado could be the same way, but I don't think he's there yet. He should have the size to hold up, but we'll see.