PDA

View Full Version : McMillian story from the Bangor Daily News

Badgerinmaine
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
New Packer Jeron McMillian is now the highest drafted Maine Black Bear in history. Here is a story: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/28/sports/umaines-mcmillian-drafted-in-fourth-round-by-green-bay-packers/

Brandon494
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't be surprised if this guy is the starting SS this season.

Smeefers
04-30-2012, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't just be surprised, i'd be amazed.

Harlan Huckleby
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM

are you one of those guys who makes 57 predictions in off-season, and then reminds everyone of the ones that turned out right?

Guiness
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Did Coston, his teamate, end up being drafted? He was mentioned in the safety dance thread.
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23930-Safety-Dance

MadScientist
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Did Coston, his teamate, end up being drafted? He was mentioned in the safety dance thread.
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23930-Safety-Dance

The article says he is a UDFA with the Bears.

swede
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
are you one of those guys who makes 57 predictions in off-season, and then reminds everyone of the ones that turned out right?

#1 In 2012 I predict Harlan will become a mall cop and watch every Sunday afternoon Packer game in Sears' electronics department.

#2 I predict McMillian will make a pre-season tackle that will earn him the nickname "Mr. August II".

#3 I predict a Lambeau hamburger, fries, and large soft drink will cost more than a James Jones jersey.

Brandon494
04-30-2012, 03:31 PM

No, I'm the guy who hasn't forgotten we still have Peprah at SS.

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Burnett is the starting SS, unless they're moving him over to fill the FS spot vacated by Nick Collins. McMillan has a small chance at becoming the starting FS by season's end, but Peprah will almost certainly be the starter there in week 1 (unless, again, they're moving Burnett over). I think McMillan's immediate contribution will be as a gunner along with Jarrett Bush on the punt coverage team. I'd love to be wrong, but with his lack of big game experience at the college level I don't see him beating out Peprah for a starting job this year. Pep isn't great, he isn't even that good, but he does have nearly 2 full seasons of starting experience in the NFL.

SnakeLH2006
05-01-2012, 03:00 AM

I'd be even more surprised if you didn't threaten a Rat...or your hero Finley didn't impregnate/give another poor girl herpes who is not his wife this week.

Brandon494
05-01-2012, 04:37 AM
I'd be even more surprised if you didn't threaten a Rat...or your hero Finley didn't impregnate/give another poor girl herpes who is not his wife this week.

I'd be more surprised if you made a post that made any sense.

Brandon494
05-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Burnett is the starting SS, unless they're moving him over to fill the FS spot vacated by Nick Collins. McMillan has a small chance at becoming the starting FS by season's end, but Peprah will almost certainly be the starter there in week 1 (unless, again, they're moving Burnett over). I think McMillan's immediate contribution will be as a gunner along with Jarrett Bush on the punt coverage team. I'd love to be wrong, but with his lack of big game experience at the college level I don't see him beating out Peprah for a starting job this year. Pep isn't great, he isn't even that good, but he does have nearly 2 full seasons of starting experience in the NFL.

I know Burnett is the starting SS right now but he believe he is better suited to play FS than either Peprah or McMillan. I think we'll see him starting at FS this season with McMillan pushing Peprah for the SS starting gig.

pbmax
05-01-2012, 07:42 AM

Nice personal attack for a post. Should be pulled. Snake, you start some good threads. This is just garbage unfortunately.

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
I know Burnett is the starting SS right now but he believe he is better suited to play FS than either Peprah or McMillan. I think we'll see him starting at FS this season with McMillan pushing Peprah for the SS starting gig.

I could see this happening. But Peprah actually looked pretty good at SS when filling in for Burnett a couple seasons ago. So either way I think the rookie has his work cut out for him trying to crack the starting lineup on defense. It should be one hell of a competition.

Pugger
05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
No, I'm the guy who hasn't forgotten we still have Peprah at SS.

No kidding...

Pugger
05-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I could see this happening. But Peprah actually looked pretty good at SS when filling in for Burnett a couple seasons ago. So either way I think the rookie has his work cut out for him trying to crack the starting lineup on defense. It should be one hell of a competition.

Of course we had Collins back there too AND a pass rush. I suspect our secondary is gonna look 100 times better in 2012 with our revamped front 7.

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Of course we had Collins back there too AND a pass rush. I suspect our secondary is gonna look 100 times better in 2012 with our revamped front 7.

Burnett won't be Collins if they move him over to FS, but he won't be Peprah over there either. And TT just added 4 pure pass rushers to the roster over the weekend. It will be a very similar situation to when Peprah stepped in for Burnett a couple seasons ago, and I'd expect the production out of him to be similar as well.

3irty1
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Burnett will be the starting FS, McMillian or Peprah will battle for the other spot. Not that there is much difference between FS and SS anyways.

Gunakor
05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Not that there is much difference between FS and SS anyways.

SS plays closer to the LOS and has greater responsibility providing run support. SS is generally a better tackler, while FS is generally better in pass coverage.

Joemailman
05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
SS plays closer to the LOS and has greater responsibility providing run support. SS is generally a better tackler, while FS is generally better in pass coverage.

That's the classic definition, but the Packers have been trying to move away from that. When they moved up to draft Bunett 2 years ago, what they envisioned was having 2 safeties who would be almost interchangeable. Either could play close to the line or play deep coverage. Unfortunately, Collins and Burnett didn't get to play together much because of season-ending injuries to Burnett in 2010 and Collins in 2011.

Smeefers
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
If through all of last year DC never thought of switching Peprah and Burnett, what makes you think he'll make the change this year?

I predict that the safeties will stay put and we'll still have a top 10 defense.

Smidgeon
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
If through all of last year DC never thought of switching Peprah and Burnett, what makes you think he'll make the change this year?

I predict that the safeties will stay put and we'll still have a top 10 defense.

Offseason. I too think Burnett will be a better FS--even as interchangeable as they are. He'll be better in space than McMilllian who played a lot on the line in college.

MadtownPacker
05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't recall Brandon ever threatening anyone. He is posting a opinion about this thread that has nothing to do with his Finley love. How about you chill out and stay on topic?

Joemailman
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM

It's possible he didn't want to make an inexperienced player like Burnett switch positions once the season had started. We'll see. To me it's not that big of a deal. If the pass rush is improved, they should be better no matter who lines up where.

woodbuck27
05-22-2012, 01:15 AM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/04%2F28%2F12_Maine%27s_McMillian_inspired_by_Colli ns/620?feed=2

Maine's Jerron McMillian inspired by Collins

By ZACH HEILPRIN
zheilprin@gkbsports.com

"...it was apparent how much Collins meant both on and off the field for the Packers.

And though he never met or played with Collins, you can count the newest member of the secondary, safety Jerron McMillian, among those disappointed that he is no longer with the team.

“I was looking forward to being there, and trying to learn from Nick, because I followed him a lot because he came from Bethune-Cookman,“ said McMillian, who also played his college football at a small school -- Maine of the Colonial Athletic Association.

“I was really trying to go there and get teaching from him and other vets. And when I heard when he was released it was kind of sad, but you have to move on.”

It wasn’t just Collins’ small-school background that drew McMillian to follow the three-time Pro Bowl selection." Fr. Story

Please Click on the LINK for the rest of this story.

GO PACKERS !

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Basically the Packers want a system that has a stronside safety and a weakside safety. The both play the same distance off the LOS unless a specific play is called where they become a rover, but that roll is usually reserved for Woodson who plays a lot in the slot. The Packers run a pretty balanced defense. They had some success two years ago playing Peprah closer to the line of scrimmage, but with the passing game exploding in 2011 it was difficult for the Packers to commit a safety to the box. Also I thought when Collins went down they moved Burnett to free, and Peprah played strong.

pbmax
05-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Basically the Packers want a system that has a stronside safety and a weakside safety. The both play the same distance off the LOS unless a specific play is called where they become a rover, but that roll is usually reserved for Woodson who plays a lot in the slot. The Packers run a pretty balanced defense. They had some success two years ago playing Peprah closer to the line of scrimmage, but with the passing game exploding in 2011 it was difficult for the Packers to commit a safety to the box. Also I thought when Collins went down they moved Burnett to free, and Peprah played strong.

Burnett did get the deep safety when they had only a single high and the difference between he and Collins was obvious. Its tough to tell without tape, but I think this was at least partially responsible for the terrible defense played by CBs on deep throws. But Tramon's injury had an impact as well.

The dropoff from Collins to Burnett was unfortunate but not shocking. The terrible part was when they played two deep and backed the corners off, no one could tackle. They forced a bunch of shorter throws later in the season but it was the Giants game before anyone took a receiver down before the sticks.

- defend the throw
- make the tackle
- sack the QB

Do any two and the problem will disappear.

Fritz
05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Don't forget M.edical D.octor Jennings!

gbgary
05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
nevermind

woodbuck27
05-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Burnett did get the deep safety when they had only a single high and the difference between he and Collins was obvious. Its tough to tell without tape, but I think this was at least partially responsible for the terrible defense played by CBs on deep throws. But Tramon's injury had an impact as well.

The dropoff from Collins to Burnett was unfortunate but not shocking. The terrible part was when they played two deep and backed the corners off, no one could tackle. They forced a bunch of shorter throws later in the season but it was the Giants game before anyone took a receiver down before the sticks.

- defend the throw
- make the tackle
- sack the QB

Do any two and the problem will disappear.

I'll choose :

a) and C). Defend the throw and sack the QB.

GO PACKERS !

RashanGary
05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
MD Jennings is going to be interesting to watch in camp. Peprah, Burnett and Jennings could be in a little battle. And if the Packers want to get their best 11 on the field in traditional base defense, maybe Woodson plays strong safety at times.

Nothing will shock me at the safety position. It's certainly not defined.